• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

cuevas said:
Anyone else go back to MW2 and think it just looks fucking ugly when compared to blops? I hate the frame rate drop but at least you know where it went.

I wouldn't call MW2 "fucking ugly," but I would agree that Blops looks loads better.

luoapp

USD said:
I can understand why people don't care for Stopping Power, but most of the guns I've used in past COD games (M14, FAL+Holo) are completely different with the extra damage.

It's not people don't care about stopping power, on the contrary, people care too much to use any other 1st tire perk.

cuevas said:
Anyone else go back to MW2 and think it just looks fucking ugly when compared to blops? I hate the frame rate drop but at least you know where it went.
Really? I went back to MW2 and thought the graphics were much better compared to BO. (360 version). Unless you guys are talking about PC. Maybe I just like shininess better. :p

Mileena

Banned
MW2 looks much, much better. That's only because IW aren't completely clueless when it comes to the PS3 like Treyarch. Shame about Commando and OMA noob tubing, those were the only things I truly HATED in the game. Oh and Derail. Always Derail.

Game2Death said:
Really? I went back to MW2 and thought the graphics were much better compared to BO. (360 version). Unless you guys are talking about PC. Maybe I just like shininess better. :p

I'm talking about the 360 versions.

corkscrewblow said:
MW2 looks much, much better. That's only because IW aren't completely clueless when it comes to the PS3 like Treyarch. Shame about Commando and OMA noob tubing, those were the only things I truly HATED in the game. Oh and Derail. Always Derail.

I guess I just like the art direction in Black Ops better than MW2; on technical level I'd say they're basically the same. This is on 360, of course; I can't speak to the PS3 seeing as how I don't have one.

tsigo said:
If WaW had player emblems, let's be honest here, anyone using a swastika is just being a dickhead trying to be controversial, same as they are here. They're not role-playing a soldier in the Third Reich. Stop trying to justify idiocy.

What are we, retarded? Of course that's what he meant and my post is a response to that.

You would have to be a complete and utter fool to believe that if people wore swastikas as a nametag in World at War, they're doing so because they're roleplaying and helping build up the WW2 atmosphere. I mean...LOL. Come back to reality, guys.

But uh... you're both basing that on a hypothetical situation?! All he said was swastikas are appropriate in WaW, he never mentioned in what context, so stop jumping to conclusions.

As I argued clearly, it's all about context.

3ur4zn said:
But uh... you're both basing that on a hypothetical situation?! All he said was swastikas are appropriate in WaW, he never mentioned in what context, so stop jumping to conclusions.

As I argued clearly, it's all about context.

Okay then. The context of the discussion was swastika name badges in Black Ops, and that they were inappropriate. In that context, the original comment states that the same name badge, which was viewed as inappropriate in Black Ops, would somehow be viewed as appropriate in W@W because the context of the game includes swastikas. That argument is patently ridiculous; players who choose to identify themselves with a swastika as their permanent emblem are either immature enough to think that it's somehow humorous, or trolls who are looking to get a rise out of others, regardless of the context of the game and whether or not a particular scenario might randomly place you on the German side. Sure, there's that bizarre minority that claim to be exercising their rights to free speech, or representing the symbol's original meaning, or some other nonsense like that. But anyone with half a brain should understand the message of hate that the symbol carries, and should want nothing at all to do with anyone who would willingly identify themselves with that symbol.

The original argument was ridiculous on its face and has no merit in a post-Nazi world, especially one where anti-Semitism, while not as prevalent as it once was, it still a very real problem.

divisionbyzorro said:
Okay then. The context of the discussion was swastika name badges in Black Ops, and that they were inappropriate. In that context, the original comment states that the same name badge, which was viewed as inappropriate in Black Ops, would somehow be viewed as appropriate in W@W because the context of the game includes swastikas. That argument is patently ridiculous; players who choose to identify themselves with a swastika as their permanent emblem are either immature enough to think that it's somehow humorous, or trolls who are looking to get a rise out of others, regardless of the context of the game and whether or not a particular scenario might randomly place you on the German side. Sure, there's that bizarre minority that claim to be exercising their rights to free speech, or representing the symbol's original meaning, or some other nonsense like that. But anyone with half a brain should understand the message of hate that the symbol carries, and should want nothing at all to do with anyone who would willingly identify themselves with that symbol.

The original argument was ridiculous on its face and has no merit in a post-Nazi world, especially one where anti-Semitism, while not as prevalent as it once was, it still a very real problem.

I agree, which is why I stated the following before all this started:

It is when 15 year old's do it to incite a reaction, especially considering barely any of them have a concept of what the symbol represents.

I think we've exhausted it.

Anyway, I've not played for a week and I'm yet to be tempted to play. Should I sell it, and focus on my studies, or should I let it linger in my games room, with it possibly culminating in a scene ripped straight from The Tell-tale Heart haha?

aku:jiki

I don't know how I can still be shocked by this game when I take little breaks. Didn't play very much these past few days and had a longer session yesterday, and again I managed to get shocked by how ridiculous some of these encounters are.

Black Ops has forced me to pick up two skills; I mostly sneak around and shoot people in the back because if they face me, their FAMAS will kill me like it's a sniper, and if it's close quarters I feel like I have to wave my gun around the guy like a fan in order to maximize my chances of hitting where he actually is and not where the model is, or in case his model does that dumbass sideways leap. It is with great passion I hate the fact that I do both. :(

cuevas said:
Not at all. Infinity Ward's more sparse graphical style makes enemies easier to see than they are in BO. And since this is a game, that's far more important to me.

That's partly why I can't stand Battlefield. It's so over-detailed, you seriously don't have a fucking chance of seeing that wookie camping under that bush. Where's the fun in that? More like real war, sure, but war isn't very fun.

snacknuts

we all knew her
aku:jiki said:
Uh, camping does ruin everyone else's fun? The only person who believes it doesn't is a camper.

Give me a break. What I meant by "ruining everyone else's fun" is stuff like people playing in Hardcore and killing their own teammates. When I get killed by someone hiding in a corner I didn't check, I get mad at myself, not at them.

zesty said:
Give me a break. What I meant by "ruining everyone else's fun" is stuff like people playing in Hardcore and killing their own teammates. When I get killed by someone hiding in a corner I didn't check, I get mad at myself, not at them.
I'm not going to tell someone how to play but I can talk shit to them all I want. If you are camping in tdm or dom you are a pussy.

divisionbyzorro said:
Short version: it's the console maker's fault, due to API restrictions on the on-screen keyboard.
I know what he's saying is absolutely true, but this is an issue he should've just swept under the rug and not commented on...considering IW managed to pull it off. "Assault" is allowed in MW2.

zesty said:
I'm happy to hear you manage to play online games so calmly, but very few people agree with you on this one.

snacknuts

we all knew her
cuevas said:
I'm not going to tell someone how to play but I can talk shit to them all I want. If you are camping in tdm or dom you are a pussy.

How exactly do you guys define camping? I usually make my way slowly around the map, occasionally stopping for several seconds in a dark corner near a high traffic area waiting for someone to walk by, or otherwise placing myself somewhere that makes it hard to spot me (and yes, I almost always use Ghost Pro). If that makes me a pussy, I'm okay with that, as I would much rather be a pussy that goes 20-4 than doing my best John Rambo impression and finishing 8-11. And I've never been rage messaged, so I figured it doesn't bother people that much. Although I always mute people I don't know, so maybe they're cursing me like crazy and I just don't know it.

zesty said:
I usually make my way slowly around the map, occasionally stopping for several seconds in a dark corner near a high traffic area waiting for someone to walk by, or otherwise placing myself somewhere that makes it hard to spot me (and yes, I almost always use Ghost Pro).
zesty said:
I would much rather be a pussy that goes 20-4 than doing my best John Rambo impression and finishing 8-11.

Yep, you are the person people hate.

Yeah... zesty, man, seriously. That's the kind of thing you never admit to doing. Horrible, abusive playstyle.
The only thing he could do worse is set up a motion sensor.

*shrug* Given the game's mechanics, he's just playing TDM in the most logical way. It doesn't matter how much you wish this game was Quake - it's not. The smartest way to play TDM is to figure out where the enemy is spawning, sit outside of the door/hallway that you know they're going to come out of, and shoot them in the back. You can talk about "playing like a man" all you want, but the game's mechanics give you zero motivation to play that way. When the goal of the game is simply to kill the enemy and not die yourself, the best way to ensure victory is to never give the enemy a fair fight.

This gets compounded by killstreak rewards - the game doesn't reward you for getting a good ratio, it rewards you for not dying. That's just added motivation to be a ninja instead of being Rambo.

And that's why I don't play TDM in CoD. When the smartest playstyle is the most abusive and unfair, I don't want to play that mode.

I do like FFA, however. In TDM, each of my deaths directly contributes to my enemy's singular score, but in FFA that's not the case. If I die 15 times in a match, odds are no more than 5 of those were to any single person. FFA motivates you to move because it's built like a race: you need to rack up kills faster than the other players, and you do this by making sure that you get into as many engagements as possible.

divisionbyzorro said:
*shrug* Given the game's mechanics, he's just playing TDM in the most logical way. It doesn't matter how much you wish this game was Quake - it's not. The smartest way to play TDM is to figure out where the enemy is spawning, sit outside of the door/hallway that you know they're going to come out of, and shoot them in the back. You can talk about "playing like a man" all you want, but the game's mechanics give you zero motivation to play that way. When the goal of the game is simply to kill the enemy and not die yourself, the best way to ensure victory is to never give the enemy a fair fight.
What you just described there is actual war, not a videogame!

I don't think people have to play like the spazzes who do montages, but you can keep your playstyle fair and allow the other guy a chance to take you out. That won't maximize your win potential or whatever, but it's just a nice thing to do. Instead of only moving between dark corners - how about moving between shoulder-high pieces of cover overlooking high-traffic areas? Same skillset required, but at least the other guy gets a chance at fighting back.

divisionbyzorro said:
And that's why I don't play TDM in CoD.

It's sad though since this was never the case in CoD4, I loved playing TDM and played it almost exclusively. You would run into the occasional camper but it wasn't rampant like it is now. It happens a lot in domination too but if they do it we just win faster.

cuevas said:
It's sad though since this was never the case in CoD4, I loved playing TDM and played it almost exclusively. You would run into the occasional camper but it wasn't rampant like it is now. It happens a lot in domination too but if they do it we just win faster.

In CoD4/W@W the highest killstreak you could earn was a 7-streak.

These days, people start with an 8-streak.

divisionbyzorro said:
In CoD4/W@W the highest killstreak you could earn was a 7-streak.

These days, people start with an 8-streak.

The most we've laughed in a post game lobby was when we destroyed a team and they said in the nerdiest voices "Time to lower our killstreaks" followed by "at least we denied them air support!". I wish I could have recorded it.

Ryck

zesty said:
occasionally stopping for several seconds in a dark corner near a high traffic area waiting for someone to walk by, or otherwise placing myself somewhere that makes it hard to spot me
Yeah, you are a camper. Not everyone has the skill to run and gun properly though so camping is a good alternative for the "move and shoot simultaneously" challenged. I like to hunt campers even if it means it fucks up my stats or I personally don't win. As long as I disrupt the camper and make him move from camp site to camp site I am pleased. Then again I care less about score and rank kdr and all that, for me it's more about having a fun and exciting match.

cuevas said:
The most we've laughed in a post game lobby was when we destroyed a team and they said in the nerdiest voices "Time to lower our killstreaks" followed by "at least we denied them air support!". I wish I could have recorded it.

I really hate that you can't modify your killstreaks mid-match, or attach them to classes. I've gone back to just running UAV/Napalm/Chopper Gunner just to cover the spectrum.

I have been running uav-counter uav-blackbird for the past couple prestiges and it's awesome. I like getting a bunch of kills in a chopper gunner but nothing is as satisfying as mowing down a team with your own gun the old fashioned way.

This might make some people happy! Seems Vahn is once again thinking about mixing up the Mercenary playlists. From Twitter:

DavidVonderhaar said:
Welcome to acronym city. I'm the mayor. Assume Merc. is just TDM. Does HQ have a place in Merc Mosh with Dom, Dem, and SnD? Ne-tng else? Go!

cuevas said:
Yep, you are the person people hate.

The only thing he could do worse is set up a motion sensor.

Yeah... zesty, man, seriously. That's the kind of thing you never admit to doing. Horrible, abusive playstyle.

Wow, you both need a reality check. His playstyle has no less merit than yours. He plays the game in a manner which he enjoys, and seemingly does well. If he's going 21 - 4 like he says, his team invariably wins. And hey, Cuevas, it's all about winning, right? ; )

but you can keep your playstyle fair and allow the other guy a chance to take you out.

I mean, what the fuck is that? You sound like a lunatic.

Ryck said:
Then again I care less about score and rank kdr and all that, for me it's more about having a fun and exciting match.

Just in the same way his playstyle makes the game enjoyable for him? For him keeping a good KDR makes it enjoyable, so good on him. If his idea of a fun and exciting match is ninja-ing it around, who fucking cares what butthurt 'COD veterans' think.

Personally, I immensely enjoy the rage messages I recieve with my run-and-gun ghost/ninja playstyle. There's nothing more satisfying than destroying a team single-handily and then copping three messages from three different opponents criticizing my ghost/ninja setup. My tactics fucked yours up... that's the fucking point.

XeroSauce

Why use the MP5K over the AK74u? 74u outclasses it in every catagory except for centertime (nullified by lower recoil and a Grip) and "Raise Time".

Why use the PM63 over the MAC11? It's a carbon copy with a slower reload and more recoil.

snacknuts

we all knew her
3ur4zn said:
Wow, you both need a reality check. His playstyle has no less merit than yours. He plays the game in a manner which he enjoys, and seemingly does well. If he's going 21 - 4 like he says, his team invariably wins. And hey, Cuevas, it's all about winning, right? ; )

Just to be clear, I don't just pick a corner and spend a whole match there. And I don't always do extremely well, but even when I'm not racking up kills, I am generally helping my team by not giving the other team a bunch of points. I get a little annoyed when my team loses because the top guy had maybe 20 kills, but died 18 times trying to get them. Different strokes for different folks, I know, but playing carefully and minimizing myself being a detriment to my team is more satisfying than racking up a bunch of kills AND deaths in a losing effort.

Ryck

3ur4zn said:
Just in the same way his playstyle makes the game enjoyable for him? For him keeping a good KDR makes it enjoyable, so good on him. If his idea of a fun and exciting match is ninja-ing it around, who fucking cares what butthurt 'COD veterans' think.
Yeah, I didn't vilify for him for camping, I was just throwing in my two cents there at the end about what I enjoy and what not. If anything I love campers, you always know where to find them and (lets face it) typically they aren't as good at the game so it's an easy kill.
Personally, I immensely enjoy the rage messages I recieve with my run-and-gun ghost/ninja playstyle. There's nothing more satisfying than destroying a team single-handily and then copping three messages from three different opponents criticizing my ghost/ninja setup. My tactics fucked yours up... that's the fucking point.
That is the same way I play..

Commando/Ext mags/Suppressor/-Ghost Pro/Warlord Pro/Ninja Pro

Drives campers nuts...

XeroSauce said:
Why use the PM63 over the MAC11? It's a carbon copy with a slower reload and more recoil.
I just hate how the MAC11 looks, sounds and feels. I kind of hate the PM63 too though, so I guess that works itself out.

I think I really only like the 74u and Spectre now.

3ur4zn said:
I mean, what the fuck is that? You sound like a lunatic.
Haha, are you fucking 12? There are other people in the match, you little douche. There's no point in being a dick for the sake of being a dick, and not being good is not an excuse. Sitting in a corner is the worst practice you can possibly get.

Sitting in a corner is the worst practice you can possibly get.

Everybody plays differently. The systems within the game allow for multiple types of players so there's no reason to pass ill-informed judgement on someone else's "style". It doesn't work for you, and you find it annoying when you encounter it. That doesn't make it illegitimate.

Are people running around and dolphin diving with 47u SMGs annoying? Yep.
People sitting in a dark corner ADSing? Annoying.
People camping the B-Dom balcony in Grid, popping up to with their FAMAS? Annoying.
Snipers? Good question. Never seen one.

Seriously though, who cares if we think someone is a "camper"? If they find it enjoyable then good for them. It's annoying, but it isn't unfair.

Haha, are you fucking 12? There are other people in the match, you little douche. There's no point in being a dick for the sake of being a dick, and not being good is not an excuse. Sitting in a corner is the worst practice you can possibly get.

Sorry, I gotta agree with him - your argument that I should allow the enemy a chance to kill me to adhere to some unspoken code of honor just sounds crazy. You need to come up with a better counter argument than saying that it's unsporting to not give my enemy a chance to fight back. I'm a competitive dude - if I can ninja you without giving you a chance to win, I'm going to do it. You have to somehow convince me that I'm going to consistently do better (get higher K/Ds and W/Ls) with a different playstyle.

Of course, I get bored like that. So I play Domination - it's much faster paced and more enjoyable to me.

We can all agree its the shitty players that sit in corners and they have to do it for that chance to get their little care package in to reroll. We go back sometimes to see if someone earned a killstreak or it was a cp. Usually these players don't run high ks's so its funny watching them fail in a chopper gunner or gunship. The reason I hate campers is because they are an inconvenience to me. When They get their one kill on me I have to go back and take em out. Some of them think they're cute and move to a corner on the opposite side of the room but I'm used to their shenanigans and take em out.

divisionbyzorro said:
Of course, I get bored like that. So I play Domination - it's much faster paced and more enjoyable to me.
I never started talking about TDM just because you pointed out that zesty plays TDM. Still talking about objective modes the entire time, and if all you do there is move from dark corner to dark corner, then you are a douche. Undeniable fact!

Whilst everyone else has done a good job of destroying your point, I will say that of course campers are annoying, and of course campers have pissed me off in the past. However, to deny it as a legitimate playstyle is nonsense. It's fucking annoying, but it's part of the game, and no more annoying to me that a fucking quickscoper getting a lucky kill, or a really good defense player holding down an area. You call it camping, I call it Call of Duty.

I never started talking about TDM just because you pointed out that zesty plays TDM. Still talking about objective modes the entire time, and if all you do there is move from dark corner to dark corner, then you are a douche. Undeniable fact!

Oh, so 'objective' is in your vocabulary. Good, because that probably means 'subjective' is too. ; )

Well sure; you're complaining about people who play objective games like they're TDM games. I can get behind some righteous indignation there. The corner camper who ignores the objective and just stalks the other team for random kills is succeeding in doing nothing other than being, like you said, a massive douche. Unless he manages to get massive killstreaks and prevents your team from completing your objective, he's sacrificed his team's well-being for his handful of cheap kills. Nothing about that is okay - in an objective game. And I hardly see it at all in an objective game; I see people sitting in windows watching Domination flags all the time, but that's just playing defense. The random corner campers are few and far between (in my experience, anyway).

Makoto

divisionbyzorro said:
Well sure; you're complaining about people who play objective games like they're TDM games. I can get behind some righteous indignation there.

Are the complaints justified the majority of the time though? I've been accused of camping by idiots who can't connect the dots in that I'm trying to defend my flag in CTF or that I'm trying to make sure my team doesn't get 3-capped in Domination because they're all failing at trying to cap other points while leaving no one behind to defend our lone point. Sometimes that involves shutting down a vital corridor leading to the objective but people use such linear logic when it comes to Call of Duty that they think: He's been in the same spot the past minute, he must be building a tent!

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
MarshMellow96 said:
I swear guys, every bump this thread gets just leads to more posturing.

It's really sad. The MW2 and COD4 threads were amazing. This thread always leads to someone attacking the way someone else plays. It's an online shooter people, it's not that deep. Play, have fun and stop worrying about others.

Makoto

Headquarters is one of the fastest all around because you can bandwagon off a team of good players without actually having to do much yourself. SnD, the maximum XP benefit is achieved only if you perform well in your matches.

XeroSauce

AnEternalEnigma said:
So what's the gametype to get the fastest XP? Headquarters or Search & Destroy?

Headquarters for sure. S+D can be very hit and miss, if you die early on, you're just wasting time. HQ, you get tons and tons of experience even if you aren't going for the objective, because killing enemies and pushing their spawn back helps just as much because of the long cap time.

I'm continually amazed at how horrible half of the SMGs are.

So yesterday I picked up an Uzi contract and played around with the Uzi for the first time. Holy shit - that is an awful gun. The irons are perhaps the most obtrusive in the game, it's not particularly accurate, and it's not particularly powerful either. I never could find a good setup; I ended up settling on Rapid Fire + Grip with Warlord, but that was just the least-worst thing I could use. Has anyone here figured out a good way to use the Uzi?

Today I picked up the PM63 contract. Compared to the Uzi it's a dream, but it's still not a good weapon. At least the irons don't fill half the screen though! I'm currently using the Grip with Sleight of Hand - it could actually be a decent weapon if the clip wasn't criminally small. I tried using it with Hardline; I think I'm going to have to use Scavenger if I want to get any work at all done with it.

I know Treyarch overpowered the SMGs in World at War, but why did they have to neuter them so much in this game? The SMGs are a category where you can really introduce some fun variety, and while there certain is variety, half of it isn't at all viable.

Top Bottom