• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

Slizz

I really don't give a shit about my W/L ratio or my K/D, whats it going to earn you?. Sometimes I'll get in a game knowing I have to leave soon, and if that time comes when I have to leave before the end of the match fuck it I'm out. Sometimes I'll get into a match and jus play like shit and quit, fuck it I turn my 360 off and come back later in the day(which usually helps, if my first game of the day is awful I'll wait till like 4-5 hrs later and usually do a lot better). I mainly play TDM so I guess that could be why I don't really care.

aku:jiki

I haven't used the HS-10 since the game came out, but picked a couple up in a match and had so much fun that I had to make my own kit. Now I'm loving it! It feels like the most consistent shotgun setup in the game - I just feel confident using them and as long as I aim well and fast, I'll get the kill. Really don't feel that way with any other shotty other than maybe the SPAS.

I've done much better with them now than I remember doing when I last used them, and they're a lot more fun too. I recorded some examples of their awesomeness:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c021-1WKrmE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDKFrZuEbQ4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WF7da5-dvj4 (Most satisfying kill ever!)

Also I figured out a way to use Sleight of Hand Pro for snipers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBmWgbej4Xw

Magik

divisionbyzorro said:
I swear Treyarch deliberately wants me to stop caring about my W/L ratio. I've had two disconnects and four join-into-losses since I started playing two hours ago. I'm positive in terms of wins on my legit, start-to-finish matches today, but my W/L differential has still dropped overall...grr...

You're not the only one frustrated by the W/L system in BLOPs. Its just frustrating to have to deal with the constant game drops and be punished for it by having a shittier W/L ratio as a result.

I mean I understand that the W/L ratio is worthless, but at the same time, it pisses me off when it clearly does not represent my true skill rather it presents how horrible the matchmaking code in BLOPs is.

On another note, Last Stand has to fucking go. Its absolute bullshit how one damn perk can ruin so much in this game. It makes playing Hardcore modes unbearable when you drop them and they kill you with one damn shot.

Dabanton

Magik said:
You're not the only one frustrated by the W/L system in BLOPs. Its just frustrating to have to deal with the constant game drops and be punished for it by having a shittier W/L ratio as a result.

I mean I understand that the W/L ratio is worthless, but at the same time, it pisses me off when it clearly does not represent my true skill rather it presents how horrible the matchmaking code in BLOPs is.

On another note, Last Stand has to fucking go. Its absolute bullshit how one damn perk can ruin so much in this game. It makes playing Hardcore modes unbearable when you drop them and they kill you with one damn shot.

Always assume they have it especially on hardcore i always do a follow up shot to make sure.
Though it is frustrating when they catch you. :D

Magik

Dabanton said:
Always assume they have it especially on hardcore i always do a follow up shot to make sure.
Though it is frustrating when they catch you. :D

Its not even about the follow up shot.

Its the fact that they can still shot/knife you during the invincibility period that makes my blood pressure go through the roof.

plc268

divisionbyzorro said:
I swear Treyarch deliberately wants me to stop caring about my W/L ratio. I've had two disconnects and four join-into-losses since I started playing two hours ago. I'm positive in terms of wins on my legit, start-to-finish matches today, but my W/L differential has still dropped overall...grr...

EDIT: ARGH. To say nothing of teammates who are complete MORONS. How can the enemy ninja plant the bomb when there are THREE of my teammates around there? Remind me to NEVER again play Demolition in Mosh Pit.

I stopped caring when I started playing FFA. My W/L ratio sits somewhere near 0.40.

Magik said:

Yep. I've always said that Last Stand was the bigger bullshit perk between that and martyrdom. At least you could avoid the martyrdom grenades. But yea, Last Stand is ridiculous in HC.

USD

I don't play Hardcore, but Second Chance seems really worthless to me, compared to previous games. The only useful application is when running around with a teammate, which means you have a good chance of surviving firefights.

aku:jiki said:
I haven't used the HS-10 since the game came out, but picked a couple up in a match and had so much fun that I had to make my own kit. Now I'm loving it! It feels like the most consistent shotgun setup in the game - I just feel confident using them and as long as I aim well and fast, I'll get the kill. Really don't feel that way with any other shotty other than maybe the SPAS.

I tried to use them earlier today, actually. The range is just too short for them to feel like viable weapons in my book. I've figured out how to the use the other shotguns; I can even do pretty good with the Olympia! But the HS-10 just baffles me. Which is too bad, because I love the way it sounds. :)

Magik said:

I actually don't usually have that many drops, but it is truly inexcusable for the game to place me into a S&D game where my team is down 0-2 and then have the nerve to count it as a loss against me.

Makoto

I came across some kid in a Domination game who called his team horrid. My team had a sizable lead over his and of course, he interpreted the situation as him being the only person that was fragging people. I reminded him of the reality that we were playing Domination, not TDM and he asked me how he was supposed to cap a flag when it was him vs. my entire team. My response? I told him to ask the people on his team who got 6 captures. He proceeded to talk trash and of course, he got rolled by my team and I. Now that I think about it, that guy's name is familiar and I think it's because I made him ragequit twice in a one day, back when he had a team tag on.

The laziest guy on the workforce asking why his division isn't more productive. Gotta love these kids who convince themselves they're contributing to the objective and the situation couldn't be further from the truth.

GenericUser

Quite the opposite: it would allow the designer to come up with more varied and interesting perks that they would otherwise have to throw away because it wouldn't be able to balance properly for all weapon classes. Take Juggernaut, for example. I personally wouldn't have any problem if a shotgun class could use Juggernaut (as long as it couldn't stack with Marathon or Ghost). It would be an alternative way to help shotgun users close the gap, but it's just annoying (and unnecessary) for other classes which are already deadly enough.

ok, now i understand what you're trying to say. more perks, but bound to specific class combinations. Seems like an interesting idea to me.

But still, i am afraid this would not work out as planned. I think its ultra hard to balance this out. Much harder than it is now. My second concern is still the variety. Take for example the juggernaut for shotguns. What would be an equally powerful alternative for shotgun users? So i see everyone using this and ignoring other perks in this class.

I am aware that this was just an example, but i still find it hard to accomplish for the developers (especially with the 2 year development cycle) and i really dont see this coming in the near future.

Stantron

I've been messing around with shotguns a lot lately. They're so satisfying to kill with. I've got most kills with the Duel HS-10s, but I also really like the Stakeout, and I'm just starting to pick up the Spas. Lightweight/SoH/Marathon is the way to go.

Stakeout: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUn3jCkk78k

Xux

For Berlin Wall, it's like they took the worst kind of Domination map and made it just total shit. Discovery's not much better, either. They went out of their way to make B on Stadium annoying, too.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Still no map pack release date for us PC users? I have munny, Treyarch. I am willing to give it to you. C'mon, now.

SumPog said:
What would you guys say is the average CoD player's k/d? 1? 0.8 or 9?
We just know it will be closer to 1 when compared to other fps's without killstreaks. Suicides mean less because there are more kills and deaths from killstreaks.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Mr Sandman said:
I'll only get it if it's free or really really discounted (I am talking like 3-4 bucks).

LOL GL w/that

snacknuts

we all knew her
SumPog said:
What would you guys say is the average CoD player's k/d? 1? 0.8 or 9?
Statistically speaking, it has to be exactly 1. Every kill in the game requires a corresponding death.

Edit: forgot about suicides, so slightly less than 1.

Dear Merc Moshpit players:

You don't always have to vote for Nuketown Demolition when it's available. You really don't. I mean, I appreciate how easy it is to go 60-10/15, but it gets old and I'm tired of it. Thanks!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Traded this game in to Amazon for $33.50. Nice! I love its high resale value. Especially when a bunch of us got $20 credit on day one.

Onto Homefront.

I'd say the average is around .9, leaning closer to .8. There are far more asshats than good players.

I'd say 3 out of 5 players I come across are below 1. Sadly, that 3 out of every 5 always seem to be on my team. = (

3ur4zn said:
I'd say the average is around .9, leaning closer to .8. There are far more asshats than good players.

I'd say 3 out of 5 players I come across are below 1. Sadly, that 3 out of every 5 always seem to be on my team. = (
When they released the Halo 3 numbers it was like .91. Cod has to be higher because of the killstreaks. You don't get people going 500-10 in halo.

DJ_Tet

Banned
I found a Call of Duty Black Ops Prestige Edition at Target Clearance.

Can someone tell me why people are paying $60+ for the DLC codes that come with the game on ebay?

cuevas said:
fucking a, sorry.

DJ - seems to happen with a lot of LE's. It sucks when you actually wait to buy one and it turns out to actually be limited.

Yeah, but for every CG or Hind there's fuckwits going 1 - 19, and due to there being far more horrible players than good ones, I thought the killstreaks would push it even more into the negative?

Obviously, this is all assumption on my part.

DJ_Tet

Banned
cuevas said:
fucking a, sorry.

DJ - seems to happen with a lot of LE's. It sucks when you actually wait to buy one and it turns out to actually be limited.

No I think you misunderstand me. I got the whole LE @ Target for under $40.

But the DLC Zombie Maps codes that come with the LE are going for $60+ on ebay. I'm just curious why the DLC is so sought after. Can you only play the Zombie maps if you have the DLC? Or can everyone play them as long as the host has it?

Seems pretty expensive just for four maps and an avatar. And if the maps aren't available on XBL, seems like a missed opportunity.

3ur4zn said:
Yeah, but for every CG or Hind there's fuckwits going 1 - 19, and due to there being far more horrible players than good ones, I thought the killstreaks would push it even more into the negative?

Obviously, this is all assumption on my part.
Then there is a guy going 19-1. Which would make it 1kd if you average it. With suicides it goes below 1.

DJ I got what you were saying just wanted to express my frustrations I have with le's.

So I ended up in a match against a group of guys mimicking that 500 kill video yesterday. That was pretty much the lamest shit I've ever seen, and these jackasses were even bragging loudly about their 100 kills in the lobby afterwards. And they weren't even 12, these were grown ass men!

When I pointed out that all the guy with the highest score did was sit by the dumpster, ADS and wait for us to spawn they basically just called me a faggot and left the lobby. Okay then. Guess I'll have to try again to get Vahn to remove Havana from Demo. :(

divisionbyzorro said:
Dear Merc Moshpit players:

You don't always have to vote for Nuketown Demolition when it's available. You really don't. I mean, I appreciate how easy it is to go 60-10/15, but it gets old and I'm tired of it. Thanks!
You should be asking Vahn to put it back in Demo rotation. We miss it and never asked for its removal, so we show up there and vote for it to get to play it. (I was in Nuketown 24/7 and doing the same tons of times myself.)

Vahn just tweeted this:

257750932.jpg

Wether or not we agree on the issues in this game, I hope we can agree that "best multiplayer 2010" is a fucking joke. Does this "Gamer" magazine play games at all?

Makoto

Vahn just tweeted this:

257750932.jpg

Wether or not we agree on the issues in this game, I hope we can agree that "best multiplayer 2010" is a fucking joke. Does this "Gamer" magazine play games at all?

What game had better multiplayer?

Detox

Although I have't played it much bought it a couple of days ago, Starcraft 2 handles its whole multiplayer experience so well. As a primarily console gamer on 360 I was blown away by the features, UI available in SC2 and I know this isn't the norm on PC. SC2 deserves the title for best multiplayer 2010, I would've said Reach but Bungie totally dropped the ball with AA and bloom but COD can learn a thing or two from Reach's UI, customisation and active roster.

J-Roderton

Nice. I've been enjoying the fact that the stupid RC trucks and grenades don't kill me very often. I might have to keep FJ on my classes for a while. So good on Domination and Headquarters while capping.

vidal said:

honestly..........

Battlefield Bad Company 2, or its at least in the running. I agree Halo Reach was underwhelming, my least favorite Halo for sure.

Oh! there was a buncha little fun facts i found out about the Black ops i wanted to post, but i forgot being busy with school and all, but i'll post what i remember:

1- you can shoot down missles with the hind or chopper gunner! the first one always deploys the flare, the second one you can stop, but its hard, damn near impossible, i've done it twice. wanted to post an example, but its probably long gone from my file share.

2- I'm almost postive the attack helicopter has priority targeting. like if you have the highest killstreak on your team, the helicopter will target you first. if you're ever on a high killstreak with an attack helicopter up pay attention to its behavior. Once it targets you it wont target anyone else until someone kills you ( heli or otherwise ) or you duck to cover, and once you come back outta cover, it'll turn right back to you. i might be able to find footage of this in some saved games but i doubt it

i had other things i can't think of right now. I haven't touched the game in 2 weeks, so maybe it would comeback to me if i play a few matches....

maomaoIYP

vidal said:

That was exactly what I was thinking as well. I'm not so sure if that speaks volumes on the awesomeness of blops or the sad state of multiplayer games on consoles.

Makoto

I agree. Even if Black Ops wasn't the best, I wouldn't necessarily say something else blew it out of the water. If, for example, Gamer said Bad Company 2 was the best multiplayer of 2010, I could easily say it was a joke too with an extra dose of, "Have they even played the previous Battlefield games? BC2 is just watered down spin-off of the main entry games." StarCraft II would be a bit questionable for Blizzard's removal of LAN support and chat rooms (yes, I know they implemented them into SCII). I admittedly haven't played Reach but from what I've heard, it hasn't blown up anything either.

computers putin' said:
2- I'm almost postive the attack helicopter has priority targeting. like if you have the highest killstreak on your team, the helicopter will target you first. if you're ever on a high killstreak with an attack helicopter up pay attention to its behavior. Once it targets you it wont target anyone else until someone kills you ( heli or otherwise ) or you duck to cover, and once you come back outta cover, it'll turn right back to you. i might be able to find footage of this in some saved games but i doubt it

The attack helicopter prioritizes by threat. If no one attacks it, then it just targets the top players on the opposing team, typically the the guy on top and the guy following him. I've been targeted too much by it while being on top of scoreboards.

Nonelito

Neo Member
RC-XD is by far the worst killstreak I have ever seen in any COD game. Not only that I feel it will always get me and ONLY me no matter what I do in the game, but also makes no sense using it, at least on Team-based games. Why not choose the Spy Plane and help your team? 1 kill for you makes that much of a difference? Sheeeesh!

Stantron

LeMaximilian said:
Hey guys, been a while. I know a few of you aren't very happy with my playstyle, but my first video is up for VidThru.com.

Check if out if ya can, I'll be making more videos more frequently.

89-1 on Hanoi

Thx doods.
Good shit, dood. I like hearing your commentary. Keep the vids coming.
Wish you success with the new vidthru venture.

vidal said:
I agree. Even if Black Ops wasn't the best, I wouldn't necessarily say something else blew it out of the water. If, for example, Gamer said Bad Company 2 was the best multiplayer of 2010, I could easily say it was a joke too with an extra dose of, "Have they even played the previous Battlefield games? BC2 is just watered down spin-off of the main entry games." StarCraft II would be a bit questionable for Blizzard's removal of LAN support and chat rooms (yes, I know they implemented them into SCII). I admittedly haven't played Reach but from what I've heard, it hasn't blown up anything either.

The attack helicopter prioritizes by threat. If no one attacks it, then it just targets the top players on the opposing team, typically the the guy on top and the guy following him. I've been targeted too much by it while being on top of scoreboards.

Is this true, or just conjecture?

RE: the multiplayer debate, I don't think even think BO is the best COD (WaW is), let alone best multiplayer, but it's undeniably addictive, and does a fantastic job of permeating the mainstream with an moreish, accessible, slick style. It's not rocket science.

Xux

3ur4zn said:
Is this true, or just conjecture?

That's how the COD4 helicopter worked at least.

From DenKirson.

Helicopters assess threat through four factors:
Distance from Helicopter - All players get threat based on distance from chopper. The max distance is pretty far.
Has attacked Helicopter - Anyone who has attacked the helicopter gets threat
Weapon Class - A player with a shotgun in their primary slot will not get threat.
Player Score - Highest scoring player in view gets most threat.
Whoever has the highest combined threat from these four factors will be the helicopter's Primary Target.
The helicopter will only target a player if it has seen more than 50% of his body.
If the helicopter sees you and you get behind cover, it may still attempt to shoot through the wall around where it last saw you.
Also, the KillCam shows a view above the helicopter, though this view is not congruent with the cannon on the bottom of the chopper; you may (or may not) see yourself in killcam, but the minigun sure saw you.

kuYuri

At the cost of least popular playlists.

http://twitter.com/#!/DavidVonderhaar/status/47654594649657344

No, you can't have Nuketown 24/7. Yet. Yes, you can have the TDM only Mercanary and a revised Merc Moshpit.

Should be up in about 7 days on 360, within a day or two on PS3.

Top Bottom