• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

3ur4zn said:
Okay, so you've previously claimed you played WaW for around a 25 hours, or a day's worth of playing time, and said those hours were enough for you to conclude the game was bad.

Why then, does your Live profile show you've never even placed WaW in your disk-tray? You've evidently played MW2, BO, even COD4, but no sign of WaW? Hmmm? Your Live profile shows you've been a member for 3 years, and WaW is less than 2.5 years old. I'm sorry, but I just don't believe you. You're a liar, and have no business commenting on WaW's maps when you evidently have never played them.

This is why I hate 360's gamercard feature. Enables stalkers like this guy.

3ur4zn said:
Why then, does your Live profile show you've never even placed WaW in your disk-tray? You've evidently played MW2, BO, even COD4, but no sign of WaW? Hmmm?

This thread is turning into such a bitch-fest...but this is taking it to another level. You're running a background check on somebody you disagree with on the internet.

You can't prove an opinion, even with fact checkers.

3ur4zn said:
Okay, so you've previously claimed you played WaW for around a 25 hours, or a day's worth of playing time, and said those hours were enough for you to conclude the game was bad.

Why then, does your Live profile show you've never even placed WaW in your disk-tray? You've evidently played MW2, BO, even COD4, but no sign of WaW? Hmmm? Your Live profile shows you've been a member for 3 years, and WaW is less than 2.5 years old. I'm sorry, but I just don't believe you. You're a liar, and have no business commenting on WaW's maps when you evidently have never played them.

The first bit is my claim, the second is yours. Nice try though, fraud. :lol
You are obsessed with me so so let me teach you a thing or two. Those Xbox live numbers are inaccurate, I have the halo 2 emblem in halo reach which you can only get if you played halo 2 on live. You can go look at my bungie.net combat record and see I played it since release. I didn't have live for a while, which is when I stopped playing cod4 and why the number is all fucked up. I could only play on live when I would go over to my buddies' dorm and he liked waw so we played that.

You say 25 hours isn't enough to judge a game, what the fuck? Most reviewers don't even spend that much time with games. I deleted the new map pack the day of release and most people hate certain maps in it over a month later.

You say you didn't really put time into cod and cod2 yet you make statements like WaW is the best cod ever. By your own logic this opinion is invalid since you didn't play enough.

I never even opened my own copy of waw :jakncoke

PalaceBrother said:
This thread is turning into such a bitch-fest...but this is taking it to another level. You're running a background check on somebody you disagree with on the internet.

You can't prove an opinion, even with fact checkers.

Nah, he keeps calling me out and saying I haven't got an eye for maps, so I submitted evidence to suggest he has even less, insomuch as he's never ever fucking played it.

You are obsessed with me so so let me teach you a thing or two. Those Xbox live numbers are inaccurate, I have the halo 2 emblem in halo reach which you can only get if you played halo 2 on live. You can go look at my bungie.net combat record and see I played it since release. I didn't have live for a while, which is when I stopped playing cod4 and why the number is all fucked up. I could only play on live when I would go over to my buddies' dorm and he liked waw so we played that.

You say 25 hours isn't enough to judge a game, what the fuck? Most reviewers don't even spend that much time with games. I deleted the new map pack the day of release and most people hate certain maps in it over a month later.

You say you didn't really put time into cod and cod2 yet you make statements like WaW is the best cod ever. By your own logic this opinion is invalid since you didn't play enough.

I never even opened my own copy of waw :jakncoke

Anyway, you and I both know you're lying, but to spare everyone else the torture, I'll leave it at that.

Stantron

Tactical Mask Pro should speed up the throwing animation of tactical/lethal grenades. Just the animation, not the speed or distance that the frag is thrown. This would make the perk more desirable. The marker that the pro version gives you on stunned/flashed opponents is not that useful IMO.

Stantron said:
Tactical Mask Pro should speed up the throwing animation of tactical/lethal grenades. Just the animation, not the speed or distance that the frag is thrown. This would make the perk more desirable. The marker that the pro version gives you on stunned/flashed opponents is not that useful IMO.

Scout Pro does this.

Makoto

3ur4zn said:
My experience with COD1 was on PC, COD2 was on Xbox. Like I said, COD4 was a brilliant, revolutionary game. WaW come along and refined it, added what needed to be added, and polished it to a impeccable degree. Then MW2 came along, which was an utter travesty of gaming imbalance

That's a lot of hyperbole.

Stantron

divisionbyzorro said:
Scout Pro does this.
Damn, thanks for letting me know. I've unlocked scout pro but thought it only sped up weapon swapping and equipment placement. I obviously didn't give it much use to find this out myself.

USD

Ugh, why does this game pick me as host? My connection is not that great. I wish there was some sort of "Never host" option so I wouldn't kicked, as that's what happens 75% of the time I host.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
XeroSauce said:
So, coming from a PC player, if and when we get our DLC, how would you rank it compared to older DLC? Is it worth our time?
I would avoid the DLC pack if I were you.

That said, I know other people on XBL don't mind them. The zombies map in particular.

Tamanon

Banned
Eh, I've actually enjoyed the new maps personally. Although I almost never seem to get Kowloon any more. Get a ton of Stadium and Berlin Wall all the time.

After being put in the same losing S&D match four times in a row, I decided that I don't give a shit about my win-loss ratio anymore.

If there was one thing I would hope the next game fixes, it's this. Join in progress is awesome, but it shouldn't affect your stats.

I know I posted about this earlier but I feel the need to post again. Just how shitty is the PS3 version of this game? I need to know if I have a bad disc, a dying system, or if the PS3 version is just this terrible.

Sometimes when I boot up (I have it set to go straight to MP) it takes a minute or two just for it to load. Then once I start searching for a game, it will hang. I can't move anything, I can't hear anything. It doesn't freeze, if I let it sit for a couple minutes it will pick back up. Sometimes it might take 3-4 minutes before I can move the cursor or bring up the dashboard. Sometimes I search and find a game fine but then it freezes for a minute loading the map and by the time I am in the game, a couple minutes have gone by.

Once I am in as game sometimes it seems as if textures do not load properly because some players will have rainbow colored gloves or guns or clothing. Sometimes, very rare, parts of the level will look like this. Other times sound effects either lag badly or do not come up at all. Lots of times music is non existent. But I always hear things way late. Like I call in napalm, sometimes it is 30 seconds later when I actually hear the announcement for it in my game.

I figured maybe it was the disc because SP and offline zombies work fine, no problem whatsoever. But I can also load every map fine offline in split screen mode. It only seems to be an issue when I am online. I thought maybe it was a system issue but I have no problems with any other game, only this one. Since it only was an issue online, I thought maybe it was a network issue and fiddled with my router a bit and switched around my network, putting the PS3 in DMZ, but still no dice.

So are these common issues on the PS3 version or do I have a faulty disc? I don't want to go back to the 360 version and I still love the game when it works, but my problem is I got it from a GameXChange store and they have a limited return policy and have no more copies of the PS3 version in.

Ryck

Finally decided to unlock Marathon pro and holy shit! Great freaking perk (wish it was easier to get) and also thanks to this thread I starting using Flak Jacket for Demolition ( when it comes up in Merc Mosh) and have been having great success with it. I know this game has a ton of issues but when everything is working it is awesome. I also noticed there are less idiots playing this game than Mw2. I usually play both depending on which friends are online playing and have made a ton of friends on BO where as on Mw2 if I don't mute everyone I end up talking shit the whole match ( sometimes even with my teammates).

XeroSauce said:
So, coming from a PC player, if and when we get our DLC, how would you rank it compared to older DLC? Is it worth our time?

It all depends of your preferred style of maps, mate. Personally, I love Berlin Wall, Discovery and Kowloon, but hate Stadium. I'm a run and gun flanker, so those 3 suit me well.

aku:jiki

divisionbyzorro said:
Or is this one of those cases where what you saw in game was radically different than what showed up in theater?
I was just spraying thin air in Theater, of course, it didn't look weird. I had another situation with the same guy, so I tried to make a vid of it but in theater it doesn't look any worse than normal.

I own one of those Dazzle things the kids use (got it at work for free and never hooked it up), I can try recording some of my experiences with that instead. I got the idea to hook it up and record commentary last night while I was playing that incredibly awful Battle: LA XBLA game and I ran around quickscoping the aliens with the M40A3 that's available, LOL.

3ur4zn said:
Yes, but all those exploits are still exploitable IF you have the desire to do so. If I want to commando-lunge with a TAC knife and teleport to an enemy, I can do that. My point is, there's no comparable exploits in BO.
That wasn't your point at all, kid, don't try to backpedal. You tried to claim that people are doing these things and you called MW2 a "cesspool."

Ladyboy101 said:
why do people double tap Y while moving? what's the benefit?
They're montage kids who have been brainwashed to constantly do it, since if you do it with a sniper rifle, it temporarily raises hipfire accuracy (at least in CoD4, never bothered to learn if it does for others). Some do it to make kills look cooler in their montages.

You can see it being done like constantly in this montage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M30owWFNDOQ

aku:jiki said:
That wasn't your point at all, kid, don't try to backpedal. You tried to claim that people are doing these things and you called MW2 a "cesspool."

No backpedalling. I haven't played it since December, so I wasn't going to claim to know what's it been like in the last few months. Up into then though, it was a cesspool, and from anecdotal evidence it seems little has changed.

By the way, you said they barely do it, which is still admitting it occurs. My initial point was that the exploits don't compare to Treyarch games. MW2 is full of imbalance, BO is not.

3ur4zn said:
MW2 is full of imbalance, BO is not.
That's the thing though. How is BO so balanced, just because it doesn't have noobtubes? I mean, I thought it very refreshing and fun when BO came out myself, that there's no bullshit Danger Closing or whatever, but now I'm no longer convinced that they nailed the balance just because they removed a few obvious problems in MW2.

- The SMG category is completely fucked, we all know this.
- So are snipers - the L96 is the only barely usable one. We're all aware of this one too.
- LMGs are kinda dumb too. Why do they (aside from M60) have tiny mags and tiny ammo reserves? That's like opposite world.
- Shotguns are basically useless. Come on, I like them too but it happens far too often that you get hitmarkers on a clear face shot and they're viable on like 2 out of 15 maps.
- Assault rifles are the best balanced guns, but they're weird too. Why does the G11 come with enough ammo and accuracy to kill a fucking legion, while an AK runs out after five kills? Why does the Galil have a 35 bullet mag when it's also one of the strongest guns? That really makes no sense.
- Explosives are incredibly unpredictable and underpowered in a bad way. Yes, it makes sense that the blast radius is smaller than it ever was before. It does not make sense, however, when you blast a guy in the face with the tube and he keeps running.
- G11, Galil, Commando and AK47. Do I really need to type more than that?
- Tac-knifing is still there in full form, just with less teleporting and nobody doing it for whatever reason. Lightweight/Steady Aim/Marathon Pro + Ballistic Knife is still very very close.

Sure, MW2 fucked up by having a few too many things that are too unique and situational and basically impossible to counter - I mean, what the hell would a counter to a Javelin be, aside from some counter-magnetic perk that means missiles veer away from you or something to that effect? Black Ops doesn't have this problem because it doesn't have anything like this, aside from the totally harmless crossbow.

I think you need to learn the definition of imbalance. I mean, the F2000 was one of the worst guns ever in COD, and completely worthless. But its not unbalanced.

- The SMG category is completely fucked, we all know this.

It's underpowered, yes, and lacks variety. But it's not unbalanced. If you want your close-range firefights, nothing beats the MP5 and the 74u.

- So are snipers - the L96 is the only barely usable one. We're all aware of this one too.

That montage someone posted earlier begs to differ. The only aspect on snipers I'd concede is that the maps don't cater for 'em. Array, Berlin Wall, maybe WMD, Kowloon? That's it. So yeah, it's either quick-scopers or montage-seekers. In terms of power and ease of use though, and especially since the latest patch, sniper rifles are fine.

- LMGs are kinda dumb too. Why do they (aside from M60) have tiny mags and tiny ammo reserves? That's like opposite world.

Agree here. Aside from the M60, it's a graveyard.

- Shotguns are basically useless. Come on, I like them too but it happens far too often that you get hitmarkers on a clear face shot and they're viable on like 2 out of 15 maps.

Close range, they're unstoppable. That's the way it should be. Any more range and they'd be overpowered. They routinely piss me off, and a good shotty runner can tear chunks out of team. One prick was tearing me a new arsehole tonight on Array, expertly using the centre building's winding corridors to his advantage. In the right hands, they're brutal.

Why does the G11 come with enough ammo and accuracy to kill a fucking legion, while an AK runs out after five kills?

Because it's a 3-round burst. Although I've heard complaints that the G11's ROF is too powerful compared to the M16, but you're considerably disadvantaged at close range.

Why does the Galil have a 35 bullet mag when it's also one of the strongest guns? That really makes no sense.

Shitty recoil. That's helped by putting on a suppressor, but then its range is neutered. Balanced.

- Tac-knifing is still there in full form, just with less teleporting and nobody doing it for whatever reason. Lightweight/Steady Aim/Marathon Pro + Ballistic Knife is still very very close.

The kids don't use the ballistic knife much because they can't exploit it the way MW2 allowed you too. It's still frustrating, but they're useless at range, and I've never seen anyone clean up with that class.

Sure, MW2 fucked up by having a few too many things that are too unique and situational and basically impossible to counter - I mean, what the hell would a counter to a Javelin be, aside from some counter-magnetic perk that means missiles veer away from you or something to that effect? Black Ops doesn't have this problem because it doesn't have anything like this, aside from the totally harmless crossbow.

Seems like we agree, then. Treyarch removed most of the aspects of MW2 that ruined the game for the majority of the community. I have never once seen a pair of boosters, for instance. OMA was put to death, like it should be. Tubes are still powerful, but can be countered with Flak Jacket, etc. Just little things, like removing Tac Insertion from FFA. They've done a bang-up job so far.

3ur4zn said:
I think you need to learn the definition of imbalance. I mean, the F2000 was one of the worst guns ever in COD, and completely worthless. But its not unbalanced.
Yes, it is. What is it you think balance means?

3ur4zn said:
Because it's a 3-round burst. Although I've heard complaints that the G11's ROF is too powerful compared to the M16, but you're considerably disadvantaged at close range.
I was going to reply to most of your post point-for-point, but this part of your post just makes it clear what the problem is. You're talking about theoretics, the way the game should be if it was logical. I am talking about the way the game actually is, regardless of how illogical it is.

What you're saying about G11 in close range should make perfect sense, but in actuality it doesn't. The G11 has this ridiculously accurate and powerful hipfire - just try it yourself and you'll see. Again, this is not something I'm making up, you'll see thousands of people agreeing all over YouTube and the forums.

The same goes for everything you're saying. Yes, theoretically, you're correct about shotguns, but the damage they do is JUST enough to kill, which means that if the other guy lags out or the animations fuck your aim up, you get damage markers when you shouldn't. Shotguns need to be slightly overpowered to make up for situations like this. Sniper rifles have the same problem. In a perfect, theoretical situation, you would be correct. In a game as laggy as Black Ops, you're not.

3ur4zn said:
Shitty recoil. That's helped by putting on a suppressor, but then its range is neutered. Balanced.
Oh, come on. Now you're just making shit up. The Galil is a fucking laser.

I was going to reply to most of your post point-for-point, but this part of your post just makes it clear what the problem is. You're talking about theoretics, the way the game should be if it was logical. I am talking about the way the game actually is, regardless of how illogical it is.

What you're saying about G11 in close range should make perfect sense, but in actuality it doesn't. The G11 has this ridiculously accurate and powerful hipfire - just try it yourself and you'll see. Again, this is not something I'm making up, you'll see thousands of people agreeing all over YouTube and the forums.

Yep. The G11 might as well be a shotgun at close range.

I honestly don't know why I don't see it more often in pub matches. It's really the only gun that I would consider overpowered, yet I rarely see it, and I can't figure out why.

I've noticed a huge difference in the Galil's accuracy silenced versus unsilenced. Maybe it's just me, but the unsilenced Galil is incredibly accurate, while the silenced version is harder to stay on target. Maybe it's just that I'm not good enough to stay on target long enough for the silenced version to kill, but what I do know is that the unsilenced Galil is pretty damn good.

Strider2K99 said:
No one wants to take a look at my Black Ops films? :(

I get so little time to play that when I actually get in front of the TV, I don't want to look at films :)

I tried running Max's SMG class last night and got destroyed. I'm so used to having the M60 as my main that I react the wrong way when I'm using a close range weapon.

On another note: The "ignore" feature has made this thread a heck of a lot more enjoyable. Never tried it before today!

In a perfect, theoretical situation, you would be correct. In a game as laggy as Black Ops, you're not.

That's fair enough then. You seem to have a rough experience online. (PS3? PC? 360?) Like I've said before, I seem to get lucky. I barely encounter lag at all. So yeah, I think we can put it down to that.

Bollocks. The first bullet is accurate, but then the recoil kicks in and its unpredictable.

I tried running Max's SMG class last night and got destroyed. I'm so used to having the M60 as my main that I react the wrong way when I'm using a close range weapon.

Elaborate? And what's Max's SMG class?

3ur4zn said:
That's fair enough then. You seem to have a rough experience online. (PS3? PC? 360?) Like I've said before, I seem to get lucky. I barely encounter lag at all. So yeah, I think we can put it down to that.

I don't mean to criticize you since you're making a peacful post, but to me it's just confusing that you claim to suffer no lag. The way I feel and the way the game behaves for me and all my friends is just incredible - I make the posts I make, describing laggy situations, because the amount of lag is just shocking to me, I've never seen anything like it and I type what I type because I feel like I need to vent that somewhere.

MW2 pissed me off often and I made quite a few rage posts in that thread too (dvb can confirm my rage antics in there), but MW2 never left me with my jaw on the floor, locked in some kind of limbo state between aggressive confusion and furious rage. Black Ops does that at least once per session. Again, not criticizing you or trolling the game for no reason, just elaborating on my disappointment comment from the last page.

3ur4zn said:
Elaborate? And what's Max's SMG class?
Hah, at least we agree on something on this page! Sounds a little strange to me too, considering the M60 has beastly hipfire. Maybe he's ADSing too much?

BhLEY.jpg

Lol. Yea you can spawn lock sooooo bad in this Damn game.

RJNavarrete said:
Lol. Yea you can spawn lock sooooo bad in this Damn game.
Haha, nice. Both the score and the fact that it's Havana again!

I keep telling you guys. Would be cool if Vahn listened at least. :(

I don't mean to criticize you since you're making a peacful post, but to me it's just confusing that you claim to suffer no lag. The way I feel and the way the game behaves for me and all my friends is just incredible - I make the posts I make, describing laggy situations, because the amount of lag is just shocking to me, I've never seen anything like it and I type what I type because I feel like I need to vent that somewhere.

Well, I dunno what to tell you. I'm on 360, live in metro Australia, am on an average 12mb p/s connection. I don't host much, but when I do, there's a considerable host advantage. Still, even when I don't host, and even on 3 bars, I rarely find myself blaming lag. Most of my deaths occur when I'm in a 2 on 1 firefight, or are down to poor decision making on my part.

Where are you located, by the way? And what's your GT? I'll watch a few of your recent games and see if I can see where you're coming from. Mine's Mogg0.

Hah, at least we agree on something on this page! Sounds a little strange to me too, considering the M60 has beastly hipfire. Maybe he's ADSing too much?

Yeah, if I get caught close-range with the M60, I hipfire like mad, and more often that not come out on top. Strange weapon.

I like how hipfire's been nerfed too, it forces me to hone my ADS skills, which fell into disrepair considering WaW's hipfire friendly playstyle. :lol

3ur4zn said:
Where are you located, by the way? And what's your GT? I'll watch a few of your recent games and see if I can see where you're coming from. Mine's Mogg0.
I'm DROGTURIST, I've had a horrible time with the game all week so like every game in my recents should be full of bullshit.

(You do realize the bullshit deaths don't look very bullshit in theater though? Theater is always what the host saw, not what I saw.)

3ur4zn said:
I like how hipfire's been nerfed too, it forces me to hone my ADS skills, which fell into disrepair considering WaW's hipfire friendly playstyle. :lol
I think they tweaked it to make Steady Aim feel more powerful. I never felt SA was that powerful in older games, but here it's insane. Had a few very crazy ranged kills on Cracked the other night, almost put them on YouTube but didn't bother.

I guess there's this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6Eq-Xihmx8

vilmer_

So I've been thinking of finally picking this game up, as I've been in a WoW induced coma for a while... How is it for the PC? Any problems or anything that I should know of?

I think they tweaked it to make Steady Aim feel more powerful. I never felt SA was that powerful in older games, but here it's insane. Had a few very crazy ranged kills on Cracked the other night, almost put them on YouTube but didn't bother.

That's nothing, in WaW I don't think I ADS'd unless I was at least 40 or 50 feet away. Even with the MP40's considerable recoil, hipfire was incredibly effective when used by a skilful player.

I sometimes get a silly long-range hipfire kill with the MP5 or 47u, but 8/10 you'll lose a firefight hipfiring anywhere beyond close range. I think it's pretty fair.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Traded in Black Ops for Modern Warfare 2 today. I missed it so much.

I think what I've learned after playing both games extensively is that "balance" doesn't automatically make a game better. Black Ops is so boring to me. I would regularly have high K/D in the games I played in but something was missing... it just wasn't fun the way MW2 was for me. The guns behave almost all the same in Black Ops, the maps are too big so the action isn't as fast paced as MW2, the killstreaks aren't as interesting, the sound design and graphics are clearly inferior to MW2.

Treyarch played it really safe with Black Ops. I suppose they didn't have much of a choice though.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
cuevas said:
Why do you use the noob tube on the 74u? It pales in comparison to rapid fire on it, rapid fire is better than even grip because for some reason it reduces the recoil on it as well.
Agreed, in any other game mode RF would be the better attachment. In domination, it just helps for defense on flags. Although, I hardly ever use the 74u, this was just one of those games that goes well.

Cerrius said:

I think what I've learned after playing both games extensively is that "balance" doesn't automatically make a game better. Black Ops is so boring to me. I would regularly have high K/D in the games I played in but something was missing... it just wasn't fun the way MW2 was for me. The guns behave almost all the same in Black Ops, the maps are too big so the action isn't as fast paced as MW2, the killstreaks aren't as interesting, the sound design and graphics are clearly inferior to MW2.

Treyarch played it really safe with Black Ops. I suppose they didn't have much of a choice though.
By fast pace do you mean mechanics that encourage camping by rewarding you for doing it? Getting kills was at its easiest in mw2. There's no satisfaction in that game.

I've stopped using killstreaks that get me kills in blops and it is so much more fun. I may not be having amazing games in a chopper gunner but that isn't as much fun.

USD

Do you get a notification if your Claymore gets destroyed? I know you do for C4, and it definitely wasn't like that in previous games. Haven't even bothered with Claymores to test it out. I usually flash claymores if I think someone is nearby anyway

Cerrius said:

I agree. MW2 is way better than Black Ops, but the single biggest issue in MW2 is the spawning. It's atrocious, especially when coupled with the idiotic deathstreaks.

For example, on Skidrow, you can kill someone on the mounted machine gun, and they'd spawn on the bottom of the stairs leading to the alley. Either that or down the street, both of which are about 10 feet away from you.

In MW2, you're not only fighting the enemy, you're fighting the spawn system and dumb teammates (earlier today I went 39-4 in MTDM and STILL lost. No one else was positive on my team).

Game is still loads of fun, though. Can't say that about Black Ops.

Jack Scofield said:
I agree. MW2 is way better than Black Ops, but the single biggest issue in MW2 is the spawning. It's atrocious, especially when coupled with the idiotic deathstreaks.

For example, on Skidrow, you can kill someone on the mounted machine gun, and they'd spawn on the bottom of the stairs leading to the alley. Either that or down the street, both of which are about 10 feet away from you.

In MW2, you're not only fighting the enemy, you're fighting the spawn system and dumb teammates (earlier today I went 39-4 in MTDM and STILL lost. No one else was positive on my team).

Game is still loads of fun, though. Can't say that about Black Ops.

:lol

Top Bottom