• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

XeroSauce

USD said:
Do you get a notification if your Claymore gets destroyed? I know you do for C4, and it definitely wasn't like that in previous games. Haven't even bothered with Claymores to test it out. I usually flash claymores if I think someone is nearby anyway

Stunning equipment does not give you a notification other then RC-XDs and Camera Spikes because you can see it.
When a Claymore is destroyed from being shot, blown up, etc., it tells you.

Cerrius said:
Traded in Black Ops for Modern Warfare 2 today. I missed it so much.

I think what I've learned after playing both games extensively is that "balance" doesn't automatically make a game better. Black Ops is so boring to me. I would regularly have high K/D in the games I played in but something was missing... it just wasn't fun the way MW2 was for me. The guns behave almost all the same in Black Ops, the maps are too big so the action isn't as fast paced as MW2, the killstreaks aren't as interesting, the sound design and graphics are clearly inferior to MW2.

Treyarch played it really safe with Black Ops. I suppose they didn't have much of a choice though.

I went back and played some MW2 a little while ago. I forgot just how insane that game is as compared to Black Ops. There's always tons of shit happening; snipers, helicopters, jets, airstrikes, predator missiles, rockets, etc - it's almost overwhelming by comparison. And because the killstreaks stack, the games move much faster because it's so much easier to get the powerful stuff up in the air. I can definitely see how that batshit-insane style of game might appeal to some more than the more measured, deliberate gameplay of Black Ops, but I personally much prefer the toned-down approach.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
divisionbyzorro said:
I went back and played some MW2 a little while ago. I forgot just how insane that game is as compared to Black Ops. There's always tons of shit happening; snipers, helicopters, jets, airstrikes, predator missiles, rockets, etc - it's almost overwhelming by comparison. And because the killstreaks stack, the games move much faster because it's so much easier to get the powerful stuff up in the air. I can definitely see how that batshit-insane style of game might appeal to some more than the more measured, deliberate gameplay of Black Ops, but I personally much prefer the toned-down approach.

I tell my friends this all the time, and I think I might've mentioned it before here.

COD4 feels like the sequel to W@W
MW2 feels like the sequel to BO

MW2 can be really responsive and spot on in the controls department, which is why I really enjoy playing it with a 'I don't give a fuck!' attitude. Rushing spawns with a Spas is one of the most satisfying things in any online game I've played yet, and still is even with BO released.

Magik

divisionbyzorro said:

I went back to MW2 as well and it really is a whole other world. For me MW2 feels like a constant adrenaline rush and when things go your way, you feel like a boss. And when things don't go your way you feel like you're going to Hulk-rage. lol

USD

So I tried sniping for the first time today. Went with the L96A1 with variable zoom. Kind of awkward to use, since I use the Tactical button layout, which puts the zoom on B.

Sniping has always felt weird for me in Call of Duty, and it still does. I feel so exposed all the time, as I can't stand sitting in one spot for more than a moment. I end getting more kills with the Python than my rifle. I also get fewer kills, as I think my peak score was around 15 kills. And sniping is only satisfying for me if I'm getting headshots. Wasn't using the suppressor at the time, since I was trying to unlock Scout Pro just for the hell of it, but I plan on using it if I keep sniping, and that forces you to get head (or neck) shots anyway. But then, I might as well just use the Dragunov.

And why is the L96 in the game anyway? I assumed all the guns were at least somewhat relevant during the Vietnam-ish era, but the L96 is from the 80s. But then again, looking at some of the other weapons, seems like that's the case for a number of them.

Xux

aku:jiki said:
- So are snipers - the L96 is the only barely usable one. We're all aware of this one too.

I think that depends on whether or not you're on the side of believing the M21 was overpowered or underpowered. I've seen people say that the WA2000 is the best sniper 'cause of it's ease of landing a follow up shot and that the PSG1 is the worst for it's lack of power compared to the L96 and it's too high of recoil.

- LMGs are kinda dumb too. Why do they (aside from M60) have tiny mags and tiny ammo reserves? That's like opposite world.

It's 'cause LMGs are more long range power weapons than spray and pray machines. Just treat them like the FAL and M14 with the option to go full-auto up close especially with the HK21 and RPK's lower hipfire. I also think the Stoner63 is pretty much above and beyond the other three just like the FAMAS and AUG are the best ARs simply because they kill so much faster than the others.

- Assault rifles are the best balanced guns, but they're weird too. Why does the G11 come with enough ammo and accuracy to kill a fucking legion, while an AK runs out after five kills? Why does the Galil have a 35 bullet mag when it's also one of the strongest guns? That really makes no sense.

Well, the Galil has the slowest recoil to make up for it. Burst fire and magazine size don't feel like they have much to do with each other to me.

- G11, Galil, Commando and AK47. Do I really need to type more than that?

Yeah. The Enfield is near identical and otherwise balanced with the Galil so I still have no clue why people ignore it. The AK47's a worse Commando in, like, every statistic they differ in. Burst fire guns are near worthless without stopping power.

3ur4zn said:
I think you need to learn the definition of imbalance. I mean, the F2000 was one of the worst guns ever in COD, and completely worthless. But its not unbalanced.

Then what is it? Something being worse than everything else is exactly what imbalanced means.

3ur4zn said:
It's underpowered, yes, and lacks variety. But it's not unbalanced. If you want your close-range firefights, nothing beats the MP5 and the 74u.

Again, this is just flat out contradictory. If the MP5k and the AK74u are that much better than the other seven SMGs then that is extremely imbalanced.

divisionbyzorro said:
Yep. The G11 might as well be a shotgun at close range.

I honestly don't know why I don't see it more often in pub matches. It's really the only gun that I would consider overpowered, yet I rarely see it, and I can't figure out why.

It's not that good. I'd say it's the ninth best AR above the M16.

divisionbyzorro said:
I've noticed a huge difference in the Galil's accuracy silenced versus unsilenced. Maybe it's just me, but the unsilenced Galil is incredibly accurate, while the silenced version is harder to stay on target. Maybe it's just that I'm not good enough to stay on target long enough for the silenced version to kill, but what I do know is that the unsilenced Galil is pretty damn good.

It's just you; suppressors have never had any effect whatsoever on recoil.

USD said:
And why is the L96 in the game anyway? I assumed all the guns were at least somewhat relevant during the Vietnam-ish era, but the L96 is from the 80s. But then again, looking at some of the other weapons, seems like that's the case for a number of them.

Black Ops is just "Cold War" IE from the end of WWII to the early 90's.

maomaoIYP

Xux said:
I also think the Stoner63 is pretty much above and beyond the other three just like the FAMAS and AUG are the best ARs simply because they kill so much faster than the others.
While I like Stoner's rof and larger mag compared with the HK21, I'm a fan of iron sights, and the stoner's sights are really tiny.

Xux said:
Burst fire guns are near worthless without stopping power.
I beg to differ, the M16 with the ACOG scope is really good, much better than the vanilla M16 in fact. And no I don't mean on hardcore.

Xux said:
It's not that good. I'd say it's the ninth best AR above the M16.

Out of curiousity, how would you guys rank the ARs? I'm a mid to long range guy myself, and the FAMAS and AUG doesn't really work for me due to their recoil over range.

For me it's pretty much
Commando > M16 (but only w/ acog) > G11 > AK47 > Galil > the rest

Xux

maomaoIYP said:
While I like Stoner's rof and larger mag compared with the HK21, I'm a fan of iron sights, and the stoner's sights are really tiny.

They have the same magazine size. Also, I find the huge rear sight on the HK21 to be more annoying than the Stoner's sights.

maomaoIYP said:
I beg to differ, the M16 with the ACOG scope is really good, much better than the vanilla M16 in fact. And no I don't mean on hardcore.

I have such terrible luck with burst fire guns in this game; I'm lucky if I get two hitmarkers per burst. The reliability of being able to spray far outshines the rare one burst kill. The reduced recoil from the ACOG is pretty nice, though, especially combined with M16's huge range when unsuppressed.

maomaoIYP said:
Out of curiousity, how would you guys rank the ARs? I'm a mid to long range guy myself, and the FAMAS and AUG doesn't really work for me due to their recoil over range.

For me it's pretty much
Commando > M16 (but only w/ acog) > G11 > AK47 > Galil > the rest

AUG = FAMAS > Commando > AK47 > Galil = Enfield > M14 > FAL > G11 > M16

I'll do the rest just for shits 'n giggles:

AK74u > MP5K = Skorpion = MAC11 = MPL = Spectre > PM63 > Uzi > Kiparis

SPAS > HS10 > Stakeout > Olympia

Stoner > HK21 = M60 > RPK

WA2000 > Dragunov = L96 > PSG

Python > CZ75 > ASP = M1911 = Makarov

DuckRacer

Guess I'll chime in on the weapon balance discussion...

The shotguns are practically useless and are probably the weakest they've ever been. The removal of stopping power nerfed them across the board, plus it doesn't help that, aside from the SPAS, they're all poorly designed and impractical. The Olympia is useless if there's more than one enemy (or if they're more than 12m away), the Stakeout is heavily reliant on good hit detection and netcode (both of which Blops lacks), the HS-10 is a worse SPAS and the SPAS... at the ranges it's dominant in, you're better off lunging and knifing.

The sniper rifles are also practically useless. Mainly because of aforementioned stopping power removal. They're also wonky. I've been using the PSG-1 lately and shots to the center mass occasionally don't even register... it's not like I'm being shot at either, even with held breath they just don't register. I don't get it. (Actually, I do, see: hit detection and netcode complaints.)

SMGs, outside of the gripped AK-74, are all too weak and you're almost always better off using an AR. The gripped 74 is an exception purely because it's powerful, doesn't burn through ammo and doesn't have much recoil. Gripped Scorpion can also be good with scavenger, but then you have to sacrifice your first perk.

LMGs are basically less maneuverable ARs with none of the ammo/clip size benefits that LMGs usually offer. (Except for the M60 of course, but even then its use over a regular AR is pretty limited.)

Which leaves the assault rifles. Which are actually balanced pretty well overall, even though there's about three guns that stand head and shoulders above the rest (Famas, AUG and Commando).

I suppose my problem with Blops is that it's just boring – there's really no reason to use any weapons outside of the ARs. MW2 was an unbalanced piece of shit with awful maps but the aspect that gave it longevity was the ability to use whatever wacky, hair-brained class you can think of and still do well. With Blops I try to use a shotgun or sniper rifle or SMG and get annoyed because I'm almost always at some sort of disadvantage purely for using those weapons. It gets old after a while.

I don't get peoples issue with shotguns. I use a silenced SPAS and wreck people. Just gotta use it right. Idk about any of the other shotties, haven't used many of them. But a lot of people call them useless and I just don't see it. They work just like they should, which is brutal at close range and pretty worthless anywhere else. Basically the opposite of MW2's magic shotguns.

Xux

DuckRacer said:
The sniper rifles are also practically useless. Mainly because of aforementioned stopping power removal. They're also wonky. I've been using the PSG-1 lately and shots to the center mass occasionally don't even register... it's not like I'm being shot at either, even with held breath they just don't register. I don't get it. (Actually, I do, see: hit detection and netcode complaints.)

I agree with most of what you said but the sniper rifles in this game are pretty much the old sniper rifles with built in stopping power; the L96 has the most multipliers and kills from hitting the most body parts of any sniper except the M40 ACOG with stopping power, the PSG has the same multipliers as the Barrett with stopping power, and the WA2000 is an M21 with stopping power and a smaller magazine. The Dragunov didn't benefit from stopping power and is kinda mediocre in this game since the WA2000 is the same with less recoil.

GenericUser

wanna share some aug love in this thread because i am just coming back from some amazing matches in which i tried my luck with this underused beast and it was a blast.

never really cared about the aug, because looking at the ingame stats for each assault rifle, the aug seems like one of the weakest guns (at least to me :p ).

But, oh boy, this thing is good. Kills guys ultra fast like it has built in rapid fire. And has almost the same low recoil as the famas. So i am wondering, why is this gun so underused an underrated? Am i missing something?

USD

Why is this game so horrible at detect backstabs? You practically have to be perfectly parallel with your target for it to register. If I'm out of their field of vision, it should count as a backstab.

Xux

sponk said:
wanna share some aug love in this thread because i am just coming back from some amazing matches in which i tried my luck with this underused beast and it was a blast.

never really cared about the aug, because looking at the ingame stats for each assault rifle, the aug seems like one of the weakest guns (at least to me :p ).

But, oh boy, this thing is good. Kills guys ultra fast like it has built in rapid fire. And has almost the same low recoil as the famas. So i am wondering, why is this gun so underused an underrated? Am i missing something?

FAMAS is unlocked earlier and has a little more predictable recoil so people tend to use it more. Otherwise it is pretty close to being as ridiculously overpowered.

aku:jiki

Xux said:
Yeah. The Enfield is near identical and otherwise balanced with the Galil so I still have no clue why people ignore it. The AK47's a worse Commando in, like, every statistic they differ in. Burst fire guns are near worthless without stopping power.
I don't mean to be a dick, but I'm not sure why you made a huge post filled with theoreticals after I straight-up told 3ur4zn that I have no interest in discussing theoreticals. I'm talking about what the game is actually like, not what "should" be this or that.

The Enfield is only similar to the Galil in stats. They don't feel the same at all in game, and the Enfield feels weak as fuck at all ranges. Which is why people ignore it.

(Same goes for your comment on sniper rifles, btw. You're correct if all we're doing here is reading DenKirson, but you're not correct in-game. PSG1 has high recoil, but it snaps back to the exact same pixel as you were aiming at before and it does so immediately. The recoil is a total non-factor.)

Xux said:
WA2000 > Dragunov = L96 > PSG
I really wish you guys who very obviously don't snipe would stop making comments on the sniping in this game...

USD

I think I'm done with my romp with the sniper. At times it's fun, at others incredibly aggravating. The overall range of combat in BO is way too small for me to feel comfortable sniping. But it's the only (conventional) way to get my OHK fix in BO, without breaking down and playing Hardcore.

I guess should try out LMGs next. I avoid using them before, until I found out that the M60 has easy-mode iron sights. And with the low rate of fire, you can single-shot like an M14, which is right up my alley.

In other news, my win ratio is horrible in this game. The only COD I've played where I'm below a 1.0, which is sad. I went from the power player in COD4 to just another guy on the battlefield, because obviously my performance isn't having much an effect on the outcome of the match.

Also, I hate the SR-71 so much. And it's mostly because the randoms I play with suck. Surprise, surprise. Now that I switched to Counter-Spy Plane, which I save just in case a Blackbird shows up, I feel forced to keep using it.

I find it hilarious that everybody appears to have very strong opinions about which weapons are the best and which ones aren't - and they're all different (SMGs excluded). If there was a true consensus on which assault rifles/snipers/LMGs were the best, then you could make a case for the game not being well-balanced, but the fact that everybody seems to have found a different gun that's the "best" in each category speaks volumes to the actual level of balance in the game.

LeMaximilian said:
MW2 feels like the sequel to BO

If you mean it's the same game as Black Ops with more shit thrown in, then sure, I'll buy that.

LeMaximilian said:
MW2 can be really responsive and spot on in the controls department, which is why I really enjoy playing it with a 'I don't give a fuck!' attitude. Rushing spawns with a Spas is one of the most satisfying things in any online game I've played yet, and still is even with BO released.

I'd agree. I've said this before in this thread: the highs of MW2 are higher than the highs of Black Ops. But MW2 is still the most frustrating game I've ever played in my life; I only enjoyed it when I didn't give a shit about K/D and was just collecting emblems. The moment I tried to actually get better at the game instead of just chasing challenges, I completely stopped enjoying it. I don't ever rage at a weapon or killstreak or design decision in Black Ops; the only thing that ever makes me mad is the sheer lunacy of the teammates you find, and that's true in every shooter ever made.

EDIT:

Also, I really think that there's something to attachment grinding and emblem collection. In MW2, if you didn't prestige, there was still a huge pile of different things for you to try to go do. There was always incentive to keep trying new weapons, perks, combinations, etc, and you got tangible rewards for them. Not so in Black Ops. If you're driven by the rewards that the game gives you, Black Ops pales in comparison to MW2 - with the exception of pro perks (which are harder than ever to get). And those emblem chases pushed me through the low points of MW2; even if I had a really bad losing streak due to tubes or whatever, I was still making progress towards that next challenge! In Black Ops, if you're in the middle of a losing streak due to lag or shitty teammates, there's no consolation - you just have to deal with it.

divisionbyzorro said:
Also, I really think that there's something to attachment grinding and emblem collection. In MW2, if you didn't prestige, there was still a huge pile of different things for you to try to go do.
For me, as a person who's not so much driven by the reward but by the fun challenge, I definitely agree. Black Ops challenges just suck. "Get a bank shot medal" is just not anywhere near as fun or cool as "stick a semtex to your buddy's riot shield and get a kill lol." Doing that challenge in MW2 was fucking hilarious - doing, like, a 150 headshot challenge or something in BO is not going to be fun or noteworthy in any way.

(Then again, I'm just agreeing because you made the post. This is not something that actually bothers me personally.)

Makoto

divisionbyzorro said:
Also, I really think that there's something to attachment grinding and emblem collection. In MW2, if you didn't prestige, there was still a huge pile of different things for you to try to go do.

Have to disagree. Black Ops is the first game post-Call of Duty 3 where I didn't drop the game from boredom as soon as I hit the highest level. I'm prestige 15 and I'm still playing to get those gold weapons.

Mercenary TDM is back.

Treyarch said:
3/17/11 (hotfix)

-- Addressed several Zombies exploits.
-- Addressed an exploit that allowed players to get outside of the designated map boundaries on Nuketown and Kowloon.
-- Added "Mercenary" (TDM exclusive) playlist to MP.
-- Disabled Split-Screen play in Mercenary playlists.

vidal said:
Have to disagree. Black Ops is the first game post-Call of Duty 3 where I didn't drop the game from boredom as soon as I hit the highest level. I'm prestige 15 and I'm still playing to get those gold weapons.

Sure, but I'm speaking from the perspective of someone who didn't want to grind to prestige 14. I hit P1L50 and stopped - and there's literally nothing left to do other than give up the pro perks and keep grinding out prestige levels. In MW2, there was an unending amount of stuff to do, even if you didn't prestige.

Blops is the first cod where I like to put something besides red dot on my weapons, the only time I used to not use red dot was on my ninja smg class in cod4.

cuevas said:
Blops is the first cod where I like to put something besides red dot on my weapons, the only time I used to not use red dot was on my ninja smg class in cod4.

Did you like the Red Dot over the Holographic in MW2?

Ryck

Since everyone is listing their favorite guns I will list mine:

AR: Commando> Galil> Famas

SMG: AK74u> PM63> MP5K

Shotgun: Spas > Olympia

I don't use Sniper or Light Machine guns...

as a secondary I use either the CZ75 full auto or a Strela-3.

Ryck said:
Since everyone is listing their favorite guns I will list mine:

AR: Commando> Galil> Famas

SMG: AK74u> PM63> MP5K

Shotgun: Spas > Olympia

I don't use Sniper or Light Machine guns...

as a secondary I use either the CZ75 full auto or a Strela-3.
Wow spot on with mine. What's your kd? Im a consistent 2.05

Ryck

RJNavarrete said:
Wow spot on with mine. What's your kd? Im a consistent 2.05
I know I can check that on my Playercard but does it have an option to differentiate by game type. ( I tend to die a lot in Demolition and Domination)

Overall my KDR is 1.07 which is pretty unimpressive actually lol...4121 Kills and 3861 Deaths.

07dbe5353cc3__1300404240000.jpg

This was my last game...this is why my win ratio is .78 lol

Ryck said:
I know I can check that on my Playercard but does it have an option to differentiate by game type. ( I tend to die a lot in Demolition and Domination)

Overall my KDR is 1.07 which is pretty unimpressive actually lol...4121 Kills and 3861 Deaths.
You can check your tdm kd in the leaderboards.

Anyone who is friends with me check out my last game played, its amazing how fun non lethal killstreaks are.

divisionbyzorro said:
Dumb idea anyway. Why would anyone deliberately pit themselves against people who might be at or above their skill level?

Like prestige means anything, I look at some 15th prestige guys profiles and they can barely manage a .5 K/D. If they already played 20 days you'd think they would be better.

SumPog

Neo Member
I think I've got a 2 or 3 as a k/d. I blame that on the L96a1 though- you can't play consistently.

Was playing a massive lan party (PC) with friends and just realized how refreshing Modern Warfare 2 is.

Okay, I swear what I'm about to type is 100% true and I'll check in theater after my friends quit playing...

I was playing on WMD. As I was walking through the campy house in the middle, while holding akimbo M1911's and I had been holding them throughout the house, I suddenly got 4-5 damage markers on my screen, scored a kill and the killfeed said I shot someone with my M16. Say fucking what?!

RJNavarrete said:
Did they remove Havana from Demo or something? Haven't seen it all day and neither have any of my friends....
They did?! AWESOME!

Okay, I swear what I'm about to type is 100% true and I'll check in theater after my friends quit playing...

I was playing on WMD. As I was walking through the campy house in the middle, while holding akimbo M1911's and I had been holding them throughout the house, I suddenly got 4-5 damage markers on my screen, scored a kill and the killfeed said I shot someone with my M16. Say fucking what?!

You remind me of my wife. She can find bugs in every piece of technology, regardless of how well it performs for me or the rest of our family. :)

These sorts of things do happen; I just don't understand how you run into it so often. The weirdest thing I've ever seen was this clip SeaNanners uploaded a little while ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F45wNgcoVG8

This is theater; in-game he sees someone who seems to be AFK.

hello wii guy checking in. Awesome game. Very addicting. I use stoner 63 mainly.

divisionbyzorro said:
You remind me of my wife. She can find bugs in every piece of technology, regardless of how well it performs for me or the rest of our family. :)

These sorts of things do happen; I just don't understand how you run into it so often. The weirdest thing I've ever seen was this clip SeaNanners uploaded a little while ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F45wNgcoVG8

This is theater; in-game he sees someone who seems to be AFK.

may i know which gun was that?

I was playing on WMD. As I was walking through the campy house in the middle, while holding akimbo M1911's and I had been holding them throughout the house, I suddenly got 4-5 damage markers on my screen, scored a kill and the killfeed said I shot someone with my M16. Say fucking what?!!

Upload it!

Like prestige means anything, I look at some 15th prestige guys profiles and they can barely manage a .5 K/D. If they already played 20 days you'd think they would be better.

Mmm, there's a few Aussie guys I see who've played 22 days worth, which is the highest I've seen. That's about 5 hours a day average since launch! All of them are terrible, and none have a kd above 1.5. Why play something you're not good at? Must be so frustrating.

3ur4zn said:
Upload it!
A-ha! Theater caught it! I really wasn't expecting that.

I sped up a bunch of play before it happens to show that it's not Second Chance (which wouldn't explain the damage markers anyway) or freak lag or anything really. It's just WTF.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dii2RGVqO90

You can't aggressively defend on WMD Demo without spawn camping! Blame Treyarch for not putting any cover there! Haha, seriously though.

Top Bottom