• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

USD said:
Funny, I can't stand either the FAMAS or the AUG. All guns with high rates of fire instantly make me say "Yuck." You can tell that there are basically two different firing speeds for automatic weapons across the board.
Yeah, there are only two firing speeds for every fully automatic gun, except for the M60. It's one of the most annoying thing about the game, it really makes the guns too similar.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
I was briefly rank 2 on the Team Death leaderboard last night (after the reset obviously).

Mere 5 score was keeping me from being king. Probably the highest I've been on a leaderboard in any game.

yoopoo said:
Dual Mag perks gets rid of the need for Scavanger.

The way I see it, unless I'm using scavenger, I'm only ever putting Dual Mags or a Grenade Launcher on my assault rifle (plus others with Warlord, if that's part of the plan). Any other attachment reduces the number of potential kills I can get with the weapon, and increases the chance that I'll have to pick up an inferior weapon from the ground (I really, really hate going shopping in the middle of battle near the end of a streak).

USD

I don't have any problems picking up random weapons. I don't use Sleight of Hand or Dual Mags often, so sometimes if I just burn through a clip and think someone else is nearby, I'll say fuck it, ground a gun off the first body I see, and hope I managed to kill them early in their clip.

maomaoIYP

Dual mags is hands down, my favourite attachment. A cross between scavenger and sleight of hand is just way too good. I use it whenever I can, and sometimes I even take dual mags WITH sleight of hand just for the extra super fast reloading fun

DoomGyver

Bought a 360 a week ago and found a new copy of MW2 hardened edition for half price.. really enjoying MW2 despite the few nuke boosters and tac-knifers I've ran into, still it's much better than what it was before black ops came out. I made a new gamertag and already got messaged for modding (I was using an intevention and I supposedly "never missed" and got negative rep from a guy.) Sigh, I'm not even level 25 yet. Never change COD community.

USD

Man, I wish the Playercard gave you more layers. There's only so much you can do with 12. Just trying to make a decent face is tough. I'd Prestige 15 times for 20 layers.

Too bad I can count the number of truly awesome emblems I've seen on both hands. I guess I shouldn't expect much from the average Call of Duty player. You can sum up 90% of them in four categories:

Copyrighted material (Tend to be the nicest-looking ones, but little originality)
Sexually explicit (More than anything, most look more like a penis fucking a gigantic penis. That, or a poorly-made woman's ass)
Skulls, guns, shields, and swords (Boring 2-minute jobs)

I have to say, I couldn't resist the urge to make a more... interesting emblem, if only to counteract all the crappy ones out there. The one I'm currently using isn't overly explicit, but still dirty (think tentacles). And there just happened to be an octopus background that goes perfectly with it.

USD said:
I have to say, I couldn't resist the urge to make a more... interesting emblem, if only to counteract all the crappy ones out there. The one I'm currently using isn't overly explicit, but still dirty (think tentacles). And there just happened to be an octopus background that goes perfectly with it.

You aren't REDRUN from GiantBomb, are you? :)

EDIT: Oh GOD this is not what I expected Max would look like. (No offense or anything - just not at all what I expected.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi71qyTTAFw

Full Recovery said:
Bought a 360 a week ago and found a new copy of MW2 hardened edition for half price.. really enjoying MW2 despite the few nuke boosters and tac-knifers I've ran into, still it's much better than what it was before black ops came out. I made a new gamertag and already got messaged for modding (I was using an intevention and I supposedly "never missed" and got negative rep from a guy.) Sigh, I'm not even level 25 yet. Never change COD community.

I'm sure every time he saw you you hadn't missed so he probably has a point.

I miss the intervention. It has my favorite sniper sound out of all cod4, mw2 and black ops snipers. Glad 3arch did balance out the snipers though, relatively usable now.

XeroSauce

zesty said:
Oh, I didn't know that. I pretty much always use Dual Mags on the Galil, but I didn't realize it increased my ammo supply.

It gives you double starting ammunition, if it didn't, it'd be completely inferior to Extended Mags.

Detox

The best sniper ever is the m4 or whatever that green one in COD 4 was. Once you got good at it, you could play the long range game and if push came to shove medium and short range too. So many great moments destroying mp5 and p90 users with it on S&D while I was the last man standing.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
divisionbyzorro said:
EDIT: Oh GOD this is not what I expected Max would look like. (No offense or anything - just not at all what I expected.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi71qyTTAFw

People have been saying I look like this guy since I was a teenager...

28qzus6.jpg

Well, finally hit Prestige 7. Man, do I hate having to start over from scratch. This time, though, I basically pumped all of my money into the Perks I wanted and am trying to speed run them to get Pro as quickly as possible.

It's working pretty well so far. As of now I'm level 17 and have gotten Sleight of Hand Pro and Second Chance Pro. Ghost Pro is somewhat within reach, although I still need to shoot down like 20 more planes. Guh. With no real viable rocket launcher option, it's proving to be a slow process. Totally sucks that the Strela-3 is unlocked at level 30.

But, I did just unlock my baby (the FAMAS), so I haven't taken too much of a hit on my kill/death ratio.

kuYuri

KoreanBarbecue said:
Well, finally hit Prestige 7. Man, do I hate having to start over from scratch. This time, though, I basically pumped all of my money into the Perks I wanted and am trying to speed run them to get Pro as quickly as possible.

It's working pretty well so far. As of now I'm level 17 and have gotten Sleight of Hand Pro and Second Chance Pro. Ghost Pro is somewhat within reach, although I still need to shoot down like 20 more planes. Guh. With no real viable rocket launcher option, it's proving to be a slow process. Totally sucks that the Strela-3 is unlocked at level 30.

But, I did just unlock my baby (the FAMAS), so I haven't taken too much of a hit on my kill/death ratio.

So just use the MLAW.

LeMaximilian said:
People have been saying I look like this guy since I was a teenager...

Dave Mustaine (sp?) and Nicholas Cage, for sure.

I was actually thinking about getting MvC3 but your video has terrified me. There is way too much going on there.

USD

divisionbyzorro said:
You aren't REDRUN from GiantBomb, are you? :)
Did a quick Google search, he makes some nice emblems. I haven't bothered to make faces, just because the layer limit forces you to make something cartoonish. I wish there were save slots, as I'd be more inclined to change my emblem more frequently if there were.

I love getting hate mail. I always feel so proud of myself, especially when I'm not using cheap tactics and legitimately beat them to the ground.

Edit:

I'll also say that Moshpit has totally sucked me back into the game. They did a good job with that mode, even if it was a little rocky at first. They need to ditch search and destroy from that playlist though, nothing worse then entering a match only to watch. Especially when you're put on the losing team most of the time and it's often the final round, so you'll never get a chance to play.

Plasmid

Got prestige 1 yesterday, up to level 23 today, had a lot of bullshit deaths, last stand is literally getting on my last nerve.

Nonelito

Neo Member
Second chance in Hardcore is a bitch. It fucking takes only 1 single bullet to get killed by the guy entering second chance...I think that's pretty messed up. Also, some players seem the kill me BEFORE even falling down on the ground (shooting mid-air?)...This is pretty frustrating as it seems I encounter more and more Second Chance users in Harccore game modes :(.

Nonelito said:
Second chance in Hardcore is a bitch. It fucking takes only 1 single bullet to get killed by the guy entering second chance...I think that's pretty messed up. Also, some players seem the kill me BEFORE even falling down on the ground (shooting mid-air?)...This is pretty frustrating as it seems I encounter more and more Second Chance users in Harccore game modes :(.
Getting killed by a second chance user going into last stand while they go down and are invulnerable is pretty sweet. I had my longest killing streak ended by this.

I love getting hate mail. I always feel so proud of myself, especially when I'm not using cheap tactics and legitimately beat them to the ground.

Edit:

I'll also say that Moshpit has totally sucked me back into the game. They did a good job with that mode, even if it was a little rocky at first. They need to ditch search and destroy from that playlist though, nothing worse then entering a match only to watch. Especially when you're put on the losing team most of the time and it's often the final round, so you'll never get a chance to play.

Got some message saying I only have good wl and kd because I dashboard. yeah about that...

aku:jiki

USD said:
Yeah, I saw that one. Mine is much, much dirtier.
Post it then!

My buddy made a pretty sweet Cthulu emblem, coupled with the underwater background. I still just have the one I made on release day, haha.

(One guy once said "yo that kid drogturist has a SICK emblem yo" so now I can never take it off.)

Strider2K99 said:
So just use the MLAW.

Yeah, I know, and I am. But I'm impatient and want it quicker. Having one shot for the MLAW takes way too long. :)

Had a match yesterday where pretty much the entire opposing team was just trying to tomahawk everyone. It made for some pretty satisfying and easy kills, considering they weren't very good with the old axe. And, got a nice four kill streak on one Second Chance. I love that perk. So cheap, yet to satisfying.

USD

aku:jiki said:
Post it then!

My buddy made a pretty sweet Cthulu emblem, coupled with the underwater background. I still just have the one I made on release day, haha.

(One guy once said "yo that kid drogturist has a SICK emblem yo" so now I can never take it off.)
Hahaha, got banned from using the Playercard for two weeks. And funny, I was switching from a much dirtier one, which I was using for a much longer period of time. NeoGAF ratting me out? Fuck it, information wants to be free yo. Here's a quick mock-up I slapped together using the online Playercard generator (which coincidentally shows how I made it):

*NSFW-ish*
The simulated Playercard *NSFW-ish*

Oh well, I guess it's time to go PG. And the funny thing is, I originally was going to make a skirt, but because I couldn't think of a simple way to make one (without using up multiple layers), I said fuck it.

USD said:
Too bad I can count the number of truly awesome emblems I've seen on both hands. I guess I shouldn't expect much from the average Call of Duty player. You can sum up 90% of them in four categories:

Copyrighted material (Tend to be the nicest-looking ones, but little originality)
Sexually explicit (More than anything, most look more like a penis fucking a gigantic penis. That, or a poorly-made woman's ass)
Skulls, guns, shields, and swords (Boring 2-minute jobs)

USD said:

Way to be a trendsetter!
:jakncoke

snacknuts

we all knew her
Got my first angry message on PSN this afternoon accusing me of being a "lame camper." Also, I spent the past couple afternoons unlocking Tactical Mask Pro and it's really a pretty nice perk provided you're not playing against of people who are using claymores out the wazoo.

zesty said:
Got my first angry message on PSN this afternoon accusing me of being a "lame camper." .
well, yeah:
zesty said:
How exactly do you guys define camping? I usually make my way slowly around the map, occasionally stopping for several seconds in a dark corner near a high traffic area waiting for someone to walk by, or otherwise placing myself somewhere that makes it hard to spot me (and yes, I almost always use Ghost Pro). If that makes me a pussy, I'm okay with that, as I would much rather be a pussy that goes 20-4 than doing my best John Rambo impression and finishing 8-11. And I've never been rage messaged, so I figured it doesn't bother people that much. Although I always mute people I don't know, so maybe they're cursing me like crazy and I just don't know it.

Me and my brother had probably our most dominating night last night, I ended up with host the whole time and we just pwned Demolition. Only thing that ruined it some times were the sore losers rage quitting and leaving the rest of their team to fend, just isn't a pretty sight - but to their credit stayed and at least kept trying.

I'm just an average player, especially compared to my brother, but you know it was a good night when even I was doing well lol.

Conrad Link said:
Me and my brother had probably our most dominating night last night, I ended up with host the whole time and we just pwned Demolition. Only thing that ruined it some times were the sore losers rage quitting and leaving the rest of their team to fend, just isn't a pretty sight - but to their credit stayed and at least kept trying.

I'm just an average player, especially compared to my brother, but you know it was a good night when even I was doing well lol.

I can't fault people who "rage" quit though. I've been in countless situations where the lag is making it unplayable or in cases like Demolition, when my entire team is literally running away from the bomb site and I'm the only one even attempting to complete the objective. I'd probably have more fun dropping out and trying a different match then sticking through a game that's impossible to win.

Tkawsome said:
I can't fault people who "rage" quit though. I've been in countless situations where the lag is making it unplayable or in cases like Demolition, when my entire team is literally running away from the bomb site and I'm the only one even attempting to complete the objective. I'd probably have more fun dropping out and trying a different match then sticking through a game that's impossible to win.

Ugh hate that, some times I feel I'm the only one even trying to the point when when I hear 'the bomb has been planted' by someone else I'm like :O :O :O so surprised lol. Can be a really frustrating mode.

Then other days you'll have an amazing organised awesome team and its like f-yea fun.

For all of the selfish play, CoD really is a team game. Proper teamwork dominates individual skill four times out of five. Unfortunately, the disconnect is that the in-game reward system in CoD is focused on individual actions. Sure, you get experience for capping a flag, but it's just not worth putting your killstreak on the line for a few experience points.

Until Call of Duty rewards team actions as much or greater than getting kills, us lone wolves are always going to have to deal with this kind of stuff.

zesty said:
How exactly do you guys define camping? I usually make my way slowly around the map, occasionally stopping for several seconds in a dark corner near a high traffic area waiting for someone to walk by, or otherwise placing myself somewhere that makes it hard to spot me (and yes, I almost always use Ghost Pro). If that makes me a pussy, I'm okay with that, as I would much rather be a pussy that goes 20-4 than doing my best John Rambo impression and finishing 8-11. And I've never been rage messaged, so I figured it doesn't bother people that much. Although I always mute people I don't know, so maybe they're cursing me like crazy and I just don't know it.

But I bet the good people who can run and gun and still go heavy positive are having a lot more fun than you. :p

I dont see the point of being a pussy on a video game, the adrenaline rush comes from playing it at a faster pace, but I get that theres a lot of fun to be had taking it slow and tactically. The way I play is very rushy, but I dont run in the middle of the field, I do carefully think about how im going to rush - if that makes sense.

But yeah, putting yourself into dark corners and using Ghost Pro is a bit dickish, at least you move around the map though, the people I hate are the guys who wait in a weird spot seemingly all game, and then kill me once when im unlucky enough to walk past theyre spot. I have literally spectated a guy who did that to me who stayed in that same exact spot all game, he got 5 kills 3 deaths. You could easily do that with a less dickish playstyle lol.

Raide

Mr Sandman said:
Wow, do people really still run games on extra low with all the effects/foliage/shaders off just to get a competitive edge? I was looking at a guy's Steam profile (who was really good) to add him and I noticed he had a screen shot of a game that looked like an early MoH title. Then I realized it was BLOPs on like super super low and the character models stuck out like a sore thumb. It was at 1080p so I assume his computer is at least somewhat capable. I wonder what kind of console/config tweaks are out there giving players big advantages.

Thats a pretty classic thing to do for many old-school shooters. Quake players used that loads.

Mr Sandman said:
Wow, do people really still run games on extra low with all the effects/foliage/shaders off just to get a competitive edge? I was looking at a guy's Steam profile (who was really good) to add him and I noticed he had a screen shot of a game that looked like an early MoH title. Then I realized it was BLOPs on like super super low and the character models stuck out like a sore thumb. It was at 1080p so I assume his computer is at least somewhat capable. I wonder what kind of console/config tweaks are out there giving players big advantages.

How is it an advantage? I'm quite clueless about this stuff.

Mr Sandman said:

Why wouldn't you do it? I hate the shit that flies all over the place in blops and less foliage gives pussy ghost users less places to hide.

3ur4zn said:
How is it an advantage? I'm quite clueless about this stuff.

A classic example would be that it removes grass and other foliage. Take Afghan from MW2 for example (I don't play garbage games which is why I don't know any maps in Black Ops). Anyway, near the C flag (the cliff edge) there's a bunch of grass that people can go prone and hide in. If you turn down your settings, this grass disappears for you (but not the other player), so you can easily see the loser camping in what looks like open ground to you.

It also turns down other effects to give you a significant (if cheap) advantage in spotting enemies.

Jack Scofield said:
A classic example would be that it removes grass and other foliage. Take Afghan from MW2 for example (I don't play garbage games which is why I don't know any maps in Black Ops). Anyway, near the C flag (the cliff edge) there's a bunch of grass that people can go prone and hide in. If you turn down your settings, this grass disappears for you (but not the other player), so you can easily see the loser camping in what looks like open ground to you.

It also turns down other effects to give you a significant (if cheap) advantage in spotting enemies.

You don't know blops because it's garbage but played MW2? MW2 was the worst product IW ever produced.

divisionbyzorro said:
Both of these first two map spots were totally new to me; figured I'd share them here and see how far behind the times I am. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-key26OXMCE

I didn't know the first one because I don't play garbage maps.

Mr Sandman said:
Nah, not just foilage/particles. Like the textures were borderline PS1 while the character models looked better so they popped out.

I wonder if it's possible to disable smoke from will petes. Lately I get shot through smoke all the time. And no they're not rocking an IR scope (usually it's an AK74); plus I have Ghost Pro on all but one class (a must in HC Search). Not really blind firing either. Usually it's an accurate burst right to my exact location.

I imagine the smoke reducing values are restricted, FPS configs have always been around for shitty computers and people use them for an advantage.

I think I finally figured out why I've gotten tired of Call of Duty. I played for a couple hours tonight with an old college buddy, and we were tossing around our opinions about Black Ops, Modern Warfare 2, and CoD in general. He said that he felt like the outcome of each game was out of his hands, and that statement really clicked with me.

I would consider myself to be above-average, maybe even "good," but far short of "great." This is borne out by the stats; I have a 2.07 K/D, and I'm minus 45 games in W/L (which, given the number of games I've played, is basically even, minus late joins, disconnects, and not first-place in FFA). When I do poorly at this game, it generally feels like it's because I'm being shot in the back, dealing with powerful air support, and generally being overrun due to stupid teammates. And when I do well at this game, it generally feels like it's because those idiots are now on the other team. I'm good enough to know what I'm doing, but not good enough to backpack a team, and as such I get frustrated because I can usually tell within a minute of a match starting whether or not we're going to win based on the relative skill level of the team.

Of course, there are exceptions; sometimes I go into full-on beast mode, and sometimes I can't hit the broadside of a barn, and I'll take full credit for the outcome of those games. And this has gotten a lot better with the introduction of the Merc Mosh Pit, because I can now play the objective games I love without having to deal with full parties. And I know that this is true of all online, team-based multiplayer games, not just CoD, so it's not fair to single-out and blame Black Ops for this (although, it doesn't offer nearly the same amount of carrots on sticks that MW2 did to keep you playing through the slumps).

So yeah - that's why I've stopped playing this game solo. I still really enjoy it with my old college friends and organized parties, and I'll still jump in from time to time to scratch the itch, but I think I'm done with this as my go-to solo game for a while. And since I'm going to become a father in September (eek), odds are I won't pick up the next CoD game either.

cuevas said:
You don't know blops because it's garbage but played MW2? MW2 was the worst product IW ever produced.

Please don't quote the troll; it really defeats the purpose of my ignore list.

Top Bottom