• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

USD

Is anyone else a headshot whore? Right now, ~17.5% of my total kills are headshots, with just over 20% with the M14. Headshots do help out a bit with the silenced M14, as you can still kill in two hits as long as one of them is to the head or neck. The natural recoil of the gun actually facilitates the process, since if my first shot is high on the chest, there's a good chance my next two or so will be around the head area. And with only needing two shots, I can usually kill before my target can react.

Of course in a head-to-head fight, I don't go for perfect precision, though I do try to aim for the gut, so if I do get shot, the flinch will usually pull my aim to the head. And overall it's not as satisfying as the COD4 M14, when you could use the gun as a mid-range sniper rifle, but still enjoyable. I just like the "Ping!"

SumPog

Neo Member
USD said:
Is anyone else a headshot whore? Right now, ~17.5% of my total kills are headshots, with just over 20% with the M14. Headshots do help out a bit with the silenced M14, as you can still kill in two hits as long as one of them is to the head or neck. The natural recoil of the gun actually facilitates the process, since if my first shot is high on the chest, there's a good chance my next two or so will be around the head area. And with only needing two shots, I can usually kill before my target can react.

Of course in a head-to-head fight, I don't go for perfect precision, though I do try to aim for the gut, so if I do get shot, the flinch will usually pull my aim to the head. And overall it's not as satisfying as the COD4 M14, when you could use the gun as a mid-range sniper rifle, but still enjoyable. I just like the "Ping!"

Random fact: That "Ping" noise is a hammer hitting a soldier's helmet in a Treyarch studio room.

hamchan

Just popped in to say I find it very distressing how far behind the PC version is compared to consoles for patches! We're just getting the second chance credit patch today with the release of First Strike.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
hamchan said:
Just popped in to say I find it very distressing how far behind the PC version is compared to consoles for patches! We're just getting the second chance credit patch today with the release of First Strike.
I heard it also stops the re-rolling of SAM turrets and Sentry Guns so I was fine being behind on patches.

And why the fuck are they so behind? There is no certification bullshit on PC so it comes off as a we don't really care about you.

Stallion Free said:
I heard it also stops the re-rolling of SAM turrets and Sentry Guns so I was fine being behind on patches.

And why the fuck are they so behind? There is no certification bullshit on PC so it comes off as a we don't really care about you.
They don't.

Ryck

Been trying to find a definitive answer for this, what is better the Ak47 or the Ak74u? Everywhere online seems to point out the obvious, one an smg one is a AR. But I mean accuracy and damage wise? I had been using the 47 just to change things up and had become quite fond of it. Going back to the 74 tho made me realize how much more accurate it was ( with grip).

Xux

Ryck said:
Been trying to find a definitive answer for this, what is better the Ak47 or the Ak74u? Everywhere online seems to point out the obvious, one an smg one is a AR. But I mean accuracy and damage wise? I had been using the 47 just to change things up and had become quite fond of it. Going back to the 74 tho made me realize how much more accurate it was ( with grip).

The 74u does have a little less recoil but also less damage at range as well as a shorter max damage range. I don't even notice a difference in recoil but the extra bullet it takes beyond however many meters can be frustrating. The fact that the 74u has Rapid Fire as well as the recoil to abuse it gives it the edge for me though the AK47's probably a bit more reliable overall.

Out of boredom I popped this back in after a 2 to 3 month break. Played four matches, popped it back out.

I don't think I have ever played a game with so much potential to be something good but just fails. So many good ideas. It just lack polish and glue.

This game is like a Ferrari with body rust. Its the great deceiver; a solid 5 or 6 in 9s clothing.

So a server i rented from Gameservers, which never really got enough players so i cancelled (there is a couple more days left), just sent me a free First Strike DLC code (not for the maps on the server which every server can have, but for the actual maps on my end).

Nabs

Ogs said:
So a server i rented from Gameservers, which never really got enough players so i cancelled (there is a couple more days left), just sent me a free First Strike DLC code (not for the maps on the server which every server can have, but for the actual maps on my end).

Damn, I would have rented one for a code.

I'd ban walking/running/crouching. Nuketown / Firing Range 24/7 - Prone Only Server.

Ryck

Anerythristic said:
Out of boredom I popped this back in after a 2 to 3 month break. Played four matches, popped it back out.

I don't think I have ever played a game with so much potential to be something good but just fails. So many good ideas. It just lack polish and glue.

This game is like a Ferrari with body rust. Its the great deceiver; a solid 5 or 6 in 9s clothing.

Figured now is as good a time as any to mention that Black Ops is the most fun I have had with a COD title period. (I loved 4 but Martydom really did hamper some of my enjoyment.) I think what I enjoy most out of this game is the fact that everything is so subtle.

I love tweaking the guns, attachments and perks to change up my play style. I love the fact that the game forces you to earn a kill. I really loved Mw2 the first time I played it but the further along I went the more I realized how shallow the game really was. Everything was just so overdone and overpowered.

Obviously going from Mw2 to BO is like going from night to day and not everyone likes change but if you can get passed the fact that BO is it's own game and yes sometimes there is a lot of lag ( which is true of any online game) but when you have a good connection and everything is going the way it should, it really is a fantastic game.

Makoto

Mr Sandman said:
The new patch gave PC users the off-center scope "fix" which no one asked for. Now the snipers are even shittier (includes IR scopes).

Treyarch sucks. :|

Could you elaborate on that? I just tried the bolt action sniper rifle and my shots actually hit where I aimed while I was steadying the shot.

SumPog

Neo Member
Damn, now I can't put on Sentry, Care and SAM and end up on top of the scoreboard without trying. I liked that aspect of Hardline Pro ;(

taku

SumPog said:
Damn, now I can't put on Sentry, Care and SAM and end up on top of the scoreboard without trying. I liked that aspect of Hardline Pro ;(
Yeah, what the hell! I was trying out the new maps earlier today and I thought there was something up with the servers I was playing on but the patch totally killed it then?

Sucks, I guess I have to find a new strategy.. I loved the Hardline pro combo, it was like opening Christmas presents non-stop!

Ryck

I would just like to say that Mercenary Moshpit is AWESOME. Had like four straight really competitive really fun matches. Headquarters is so much more fun when it isn't against clans and teams who know how to camp each map. Just had two straight 40+ kill matches as well.

Played six matches yesterday, five of which ended when the host quit two minutes in and the game stopped and eventually led to a lobby closure. Getting really sick of that and it seems to be happening way more frequently.

OK, I know I'm LTTP. But I have to say I loved a line near the end of the (single player) game where (spoiler) the protagonist
is fighting with the bad guy.

Alex Mason (angrily yelling): You tried to make me kill my own president!
Bad guy: Tried?

Nice. Of course that made me think . . . .

Did they make a level where you had the mission of killing Kennedy? Imagine the controversy if they tried to release that level. Yeah, I know some little indie company made a game of that but that is different than hugely popular CoD series.

speculawyer said:
Did they make a level where you had the mission of killing Kennedy? Imagine the controversy if they tried to release that level. Yeah, I know some little indie company made a game of that but that is different than hugely popular CoD series.

Before the game came out I remember some of the press hinting the level was intended to be in the game, but got canned. Controversy aside, I think it would have been pretty interesting. Especially if it kept the player in the dark until they needed to
take the shot
. I can't think of where it would fit in the story though, since it takes place on the side of the main plot.

soultron

Banned
The suggestion is that Mason was actually the one to shoot Kennedy in the parade. Meaning that Dragovich's plan, and Mason's programming, actually worked.

They basically ret-conned the story to coexist within the real history of Kennedy's presidency, including his death by assassination.

I don't Treyarch ever bothered with a mission, no. It'd be too controversial. The Kennedy family is beloved and remembered well so it wouldn't fly with the public or retailers. It'd be plain insensitive, IMO.

Ryck said:
Figured now is as good a time as any to mention that Black Ops is the most fun I have had with a COD title period. (I loved 4 but Martydom really did hamper some of my enjoyment.) I think what I enjoy most out of this game is the fact that everything is so subtle.

I love tweaking the guns, attachments and perks to change up my play style. I love the fact that the game forces you to earn a kill. I really loved Mw2 the first time I played it but the further along I went the more I realized how shallow the game really was. Everything was just so overdone and overpowered.

Obviously going from Mw2 to BO is like going from night to day and not everyone likes change but if you can get passed the fact that BO is it's own game and yes sometimes there is a lot of lag ( which is true of any online game) but when you have a good connection and everything is going the way it should, it really is a fantastic game.

I saw this a few days ago and is was a nice and very thought ot response so I didn't want to ignore it.

First, MW2 while also fun was a clown car of a shooter, I often said they should have just said "fuck it, all in" and given the players the power of flight and ruby eye lasers. BO has much better ideas and balancing than MW2, the execution is just not there. You are right if you say BO is fun, it sure is but its not good.

The polish and the "stuff" that makes a good, quality online shooter is just not there. Is it fun? Yeah its lots of fun.

divisionbyzorro said:
I think I finally figured out why I've gotten tired of Call of Duty. I played for a couple hours tonight with an old college buddy, and we were tossing around our opinions about Black Ops, Modern Warfare 2, and CoD in general. He said that he felt like the outcome of each game was out of his hands, and that statement really clicked with me.

I would consider myself to be above-average, maybe even "good," but far short of "great." This is borne out by the stats; I have a 2.07 K/D, and I'm minus 45 games in W/L (which, given the number of games I've played, is basically even, minus late joins, disconnects, and not first-place in FFA). When I do poorly at this game, it generally feels like it's because I'm being shot in the back, dealing with powerful air support, and generally being overrun due to stupid teammates. And when I do well at this game, it generally feels like it's because those idiots are now on the other team. I'm good enough to know what I'm doing, but not good enough to backpack a team, and as such I get frustrated because I can usually tell within a minute of a match starting whether or not we're going to win based on the relative skill level of the team.

Of course, there are exceptions; sometimes I go into full-on beast mode, and sometimes I can't hit the broadside of a barn, and I'll take full credit for the outcome of those games. And this has gotten a lot better with the introduction of the Merc Mosh Pit, because I can now play the objective games I love without having to deal with full parties. And I know that this is true of all online, team-based multiplayer games, not just CoD, so it's not fair to single-out and blame Black Ops for this (although, it doesn't offer nearly the same amount of carrots on sticks that MW2 did to keep you playing through the slumps).

So yeah - that's why I've stopped playing this game solo. I still really enjoy it with my old college friends and organized parties, and I'll still jump in from time to time to scratch the itch, but I think I'm done with this as my go-to solo game for a while. And since I'm going to become a father in September (eek), odds are I won't pick up the next CoD game either.

Aside from the having a kid thing (congrats!), this is something I could have posted myself, word for word (But only a 1.56 k/d). You hit on every point I could make about how I feel about this game currently.

divisionbyzorro said:
I think I finally figured out why I've gotten tired of Call of Duty. I played for a couple hours tonight with an old college buddy, and we were tossing around our opinions about Black Ops, Modern Warfare 2, and CoD in general. He said that he felt like the outcome of each game was out of his hands, and that statement really clicked with me.

I would consider myself to be above-average, maybe even "good," but far short of "great." This is borne out by the stats; I have a 2.07 K/D, and I'm minus 45 games in W/L (which, given the number of games I've played, is basically even, minus late joins, disconnects, and not first-place in FFA). When I do poorly at this game, it generally feels like it's because I'm being shot in the back, dealing with powerful air support, and generally being overrun due to stupid teammates. And when I do well at this game, it generally feels like it's because those idiots are now on the other team. I'm good enough to know what I'm doing, but not good enough to backpack a team, and as such I get frustrated because I can usually tell within a minute of a match starting whether or not we're going to win based on the relative skill level of the team.

Of course, there are exceptions; sometimes I go into full-on beast mode, and sometimes I can't hit the broadside of a barn, and I'll take full credit for the outcome of those games. And this has gotten a lot better with the introduction of the Merc Mosh Pit, because I can now play the objective games I love without having to deal with full parties. And I know that this is true of all online, team-based multiplayer games, not just CoD, so it's not fair to single-out and blame Black Ops for this (although, it doesn't offer nearly the same amount of carrots on sticks that MW2 did to keep you playing through the slumps).

So yeah - that's why I've stopped playing this game solo. I still really enjoy it with my old college friends and organized parties, and I'll still jump in from time to time to scratch the itch, but I think I'm done with this as my go-to solo game for a while. And since I'm going to become a father in September (eek), odds are I won't pick up the next CoD game either.

Please don't quote the troll; it really defeats the purpose of my ignore list.

First off congrats on the kid!

Secondly I agree 100%, bad randoms can really ruin the fun, I usually go on with 2 other good guys, and between us we slay people to the level that they wont get anything more than a UAV. We still have bad teammates, but we are able to cut short peoples killstreaks. What I do hate is when playing with friends who just aren't good at games lol. :p I love playing with them from a social standpoint, but hate how I can go beast and still lose because they always go negative. :(

aku:jiki

divisionbyzorro said:
Both of these first two map spots were totally new to me; figured I'd share them here and see how far behind the times I am. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-key26OXMCE
Knew about the spots, but that video made me realize that the clan tag HuPT is "hupit gaming," Woody's site or whatever.

I hate jackasses who show up in demo with the HuPT tag (there's a lot of them actually). They're always extreme super-tryhard spawn-campers who sit behind our spawn with a tac insertion and play as dirty as fucking possible. Are those really the fans Woody has? He's such a nice guy... :/

vidal said:
Could you elaborate on that? I just tried the bolt action sniper rifle and my shots actually hit where I aimed while I was steadying the shot.
Sniper rifles don't scope in where you pre-aim, and the character takes his breath after he scopes in, and not as he scopes in, so there's this annoying sway at first. Both are intended to just make sniping a lot harder than it needs to be, and are really stupid ideas. :(

luoapp

3ur4zn said:
Ruined by the impossibly unfunny commentary.

Camping goes both ways though, his opponents were dipshits. He's not even using Ghost, so I can't see how he gets any kills at all. A few concussion grenades and a spyplane would sort him out.

No Ghost, but with Hardened and Marathon on, that just shows he is a real new player, not a camper, so, cut him some slack, also he forgot to place the claymore until the later half of the game. On the other hand, the commentator is 1) annoying as hell, 2) not good at the game either, 3) wth with a half naked guy wearing a bra?

luoapp said:
No Ghost, but with Hardened and Marathon on, that just shows he is a real new player, not a camper, so, cut him some slack, also he forgot to place the claymore until the later half of the game. On the other hand, the commentator is 1) annoying as hell, 2) not good at the game either, 3) wth with a half naked guy wearing a bra?

I didn't watch the video, but now that you describe it, you have to be talking about KimmyJ. His entire shtick is that he just talks trash and makes fun of people. Personally, I can't stand the guy, but he's gotten fairly popular in the YouTube world recently. I guess it's just so hard to stand out amongst all of the different commentators that people just now coming into it will do anything to get some views.

hamchan said:
EDIT: Very nice video and commentary. You've inspired me to try shotguns.

For a different perspective, check out XboxAhoy's video on the Stakeout (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1VX9-6f0AY). It really is a fantastic weapon, and easily the most satisfying gun in Black Ops.

taku

I am getting sick and tired of getting kicked and banned from servers for using second chance! How freaking hard is it to kill a dude using second chance? RAGE!

aku:jiki

taku said:
I am getting sick and tired of getting kicked and banned from servers for using second chance! How freaking hard is it to kill a dude using second chance? RAGE!
You are nowhere near as tired of being kicked as other players are of you using SC.

Has nothing to do with how it affects killing you, by the way. The problem is how it can fuck up someone's entire approach and overall strategy.

taku said:

I'm not trying to be a douche, but I don't blame the server admins one bit :)

Of course, Treyarch should have given server admins the ability to set server rules (allowed perks/weapons/attachments/etc) at the system level, rather than making the admins use kicks/bans to enforce their rules.

taku

aku:jiki said:
You are nowhere near as tired of being kicked as other players are of you using SC.

Has nothing to do with how it affects killing you, by the way. The problem is how it can fuck up someone's entire approach and overall strategy.
Do you know how easy it is to kill a person using SC? I mean, come on!

divisionbyzorro said:
I'm not trying to be a douche, but I don't blame the server admins one bit :)

Of course, Treyarch should have given server admins the ability to set server rules (allowed perks/weapons/attachments/etc) at the system level, rather than making the admins use kicks/bans to enforce their rules.
They should at least have "NO SC!" stated in the server name..

taku said:
Do you know how easy it is to kill a person using SC? I mean, come on!

The problem is that Second Chance is broken!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngy2MHAbc2M

Yes, this is on console, not PC, but the theater shows the host's perspective. Unless client-lag compensation/prediction is responsible for this sort of behavior, SC is just fundamentally broken (and even then, dedicated servers don't eliminate lag, they just make it better).

taku said:
They should at least have "NO SC!" stated in the server name..

This I would agree with.

taku

divisionbyzorro said:
The problem is that Second Chance is broken!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngy2MHAbc2M

Yes, this is on console, not PC, but the theater shows the host's perspective. Unless client-lag compensation/prediction is responsible for this sort of behavior, SC is just fundamentally broken (and even then, dedicated servers don't eliminate lag, they just make it better).
This has never happened to me (I'm playing on PC). I have never had a hard time finishing off a second chance user :/

Nabs said:
Second Chance should be banned from HC play entirely. Fuck that shit.
Now this I'm okay with. But outside of HC play? Fuck no.

Edit: This is Counter-Strike CT shield all over again. I freaking loved shields, and I thought it was super easy killing dudes using them as well..

taku said:
Edit: This is Counter-Strike CT shield all over again. I freaking loved shields, and I thought it was super easy killing dudes using them as well..

Not at all. You can tell when someone's using a shield. You can't tell when someone's using SC until it's too late.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
taku said:
This has never happened to me (I'm playing on PC). I have never had a hard time finishing off a second chance user :/

I've had a few BS deaths from Second chance. Like when someone is running away from me and I shoot them in the back and it drops them into second chance facing me already shooting.

But my KDR against Second chance is probably like 200 to 1 so I really have no problem with the perk.

taku

divisionbyzorro said:
Not at all. You can tell when someone's using a shield. You can't tell when someone's using SC until it's too late.
Yes, I know the difference. I was just thinking of another time where the community removed something I liked in a game..

Okay, so, to stop getting kicked and banned, what should I start using instead of SC Pro?

taku said:
Yes, I know the difference. I was just thinking of another time where the community removed something I liked in a game..

Okay, so, to stop getting kicked and banned, what should I start using instead of SC Pro?

You like SC and the shield in CS? Damn. Use anything but SC? They are all better.

LeMaximilian said:
Sup guys. If anyone's interested, Episode 2 of my Black Ops show is live now, featuring the Stakeout on a couple maps.

How To Dominate Black Ops by Maximilian: Episode 2 Pt-1 Stakeout

here's part 2 as well http://tinyurl.com/4dwdwn7

Your first video went down like a lead balloon, so I can't comment on that, but if this EP 2 video is indicative of your playstyle, I don't respect it. You play Ground War like FFA, and use the bait of an objective to flank the enemy for kills. Is that commendable? Difficult? I personally believe it isn't. You look to be fairly average in terms of one-on-one encounters, but like most good players, you have a good understanding of spawn locations and general map flow.

I've also never seen you "dominate" against competent players, or even an organised team, and all your high kd videos seem to be populated with utter scrubs. You're clearly a good player, but to have the gall to put out these particular instructional videos is, so far, quite bemusing. :lol

In a rare sign of divine power, the middling nature of your videos is reflected in the views counter. I await your obligatory haters.gif with reckless abandon.

EDIT: And no matter how many times you crowbar 'CLOWN CAR' into a video, it's still not as funny or clever as you think it is.

taku said:

Hacker.

3ur4zn said:
Your first video went down like a lead balloon, so I can't comment on that, but if this EP 2 video is indicative of your playstyle, I don't respect it. You play Ground War like FFA, and use the bait of an objective to flank the enemy for kills. Is that commendable? Difficult? I personally believe it isn't. You look to be fairly average in terms of one-on-one encounters, but like most good players, you have a good understanding of spawn locations and general map flow.

I've also never seen you "dominate" against competent players, or even an organised team, and all your high kd videos seem to be populated with utter scrubs. You're clearly a good player, but to have the gall to put out these particular instructional videos is, so far, quite bemusing. :lol

In a rare sign of divine power, the middling nature of your videos is reflected in the views counter. I await your obligatory haters.gif with reckless abandon.

The ignorance you display is baffling for someone who usually makes intelligent (albeit routinely inflammatory) posts. He's using a Stakeout. How would you suggest using a Stakeout other than baiting and flanking? EDIT: Went back and re-watched. The enemy is triple-capped through much of the video; so I'm still not understanding what point you're driving at.

Top Bottom