• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

O D I N

3ur4zn said:
I hate any method of which the sole purpose is to piss people off in a manner outside of the typical 'getting killed' frustrations. Seeing as though he puts the videos on YouTube and baits people into reacting, I don't really like it/him.

Griefers suck, etc. I don't mind if other people find them funny, but I don't and get no enjoyment out of watching them. If anything, it convinces me that there should be a counter to knifing.

I enjoy knifing/tomahawking/Throwing knife(when I played MW2) because I have fun with it. I don't play like this to piss people off or make them rage (I did have someone send hate mail the other day though). I play like this because to me, it's challenge to bring a knife to a gunfight. Believe me, I've lost, A LOT. There have been plenty of games where I go negative. But then there are some games where I do great, and have some pretty cool ballistic knife and tomahawk kills (range, bankshots, blind shots, etc).

How would you bring a counter to knifing?

IMHO, if the regular melee knife was made a two hit kill (or similar), I still think the ballistic knife should be a OHK, since you're sacrificing your gun for a knife. That's just me though.

O D I N said:
I enjoy knifing/tomahawking/Throwing knife(when I played MW2) because I have fun with it. I don't play like this to piss people off or make them rage (I did have someone send hate mail the other day though). I play like this because to me, it's challenge to bring a knife to a gunfight. Believe me, I've lost, A LOT. There have been plenty of games where I go negative. But then there are some games where I do great, and have some pretty cool ballistic knife and tomahawk kills (range, bankshots, blind shots, etc).

How would you bring a counter to knifing?

Not sure, maybe a defensive block 3rd Tier perk or something? I don't think a two-hit kill is fair to the knife-runner, but if the defensive block automatically deflected the first strike, the second could be deadly?

With such unpredictable netcode, I've always found knifing to be overpowered.

O D I N

3ur4zn said:
Not sure, maybe a defensive block 3rd Tier perk or something? I don't think a two-hit kill is fair to the knife-runner, but if the defensive block automatically deflected the first strike, the second could be deadly?

With such unpredictable netcode, I've always found knifing to be overpowered.

I see what you're saying. I always wondered why they never had a 'clang', ala halo (don't shoot me!), but given the net code, lag, etc, it's not reliable (nor is it in halo).

The thing that gets me about default knife, is that for whatever reason (I think it's the replay/network/lag's fault), is that it always appears to be such a huge hitbox on a 'swipe', and the knifed is never in front of the knifer. :-/

As for the knife runner/2hk discussion, that's why I suggested the 1hk for a melee weapon, like the ballistic knife. If you're willing to give up a gun for a knife, that'd make sense to me about a 1hk. Or, drop the knife altogether, go back to melee from CoD2 (rifle butts).

3rd tier perk... Knifernaut? o_O I can't see how this would work without adding a juggernaut effect. Jugg pro = knife deflection on first hit?
I really don't wanna see juggernaut again.

All suggestions I don't think we'll see anytime soon, sadly. :<

Also, last stand/any variation of it needs to die in a horrible fire.

snacknuts

we all knew her
O D I N said:
The thing that gets me about default knife, is that for whatever reason (I think it's the replay/network/lag's fault), is that it always appears to be such a huge hitbox on a 'swipe', and the knifed is never in front of the knifer. :-/

I get so frustrated when I knife someone right in front of me and nothing happens (or worse, I get a hit marker but no kill), but then later in a match someone will knife me from what seems like way too far away like they had a goddamn Halo sword or something.

This isn't just a Black ops issue, ALL first person shooters should rethink how they implement the melee. One hit knife kills shouldn't belong, especially when you're trucking through bullets from in front of somebody for the knife kill.

Fantasmo

I know I'm gonna sound like a day one noob but I just started playing this again with a friend, so I forgot about this.

Pro perks need to be much easier to get, because the challenges ruin all gametypes. I'm playing on PS3 this time so I'm back at level 1 and I have to spend a lot of time getting pro perks which make a big difference in most cases.

Few of the challenges are made with winning in mind. In fact, nearly all of them involve lots of losing.

For example, if you want Tactical Mask Pro, which can be a great perk with Flak Jacket Pro (only bullets are deadly), you have to get 60 kills using one of each of the 3 tac grenades. So I can play forever trying to play right and get Nova Gas kills, or I can keep entering and leaving matches and go negative repeatedly until I find campers. How is this good for teamplay?

Flak Jacket Pro involves me throwing back five grenades, and being that Semtex can't be thrown back, and people usually cook the grenade, I either have to find the perfect spot (Firing Range snipe tower if I'm lucky and don't get picked off on the way up) or straight up putting myself in harms way (bomb points in Demolition, whether its a smart idea or not, mostly dumb because there are people watching the bomb with guns ready), to get it to happen.

Marathon Pro is a very useful perk. So that makes Capture the Flag even LESS of a viable mode because nobody wants to help you win. If you've got the flag, nobody wants you to return it, because they want you to die and drop the flag in hopes that they get it and bring it back instead. The fact that you have to cap it 15 times and that there's a long respawn times, makes Marathon Pro an extremely difficult pro perk to get and Capture the Flag an awful mode.

Ghost Pro requires someone to throw down a sentry gun, which comes up rarely. Nevermind that you have to be the one to destroy it without the safety of Ghost Pro to do that.

The only efficient way to do these things is either with a great team of friends, or by boosting with a friend in some cases, something that you can get reported for.

This wouldn't be a big deal if you didn't have to re-earn them after prestiging but you do. And some people prestige 15 times becoming a real detriment to your team. It must be even more frustrating for players who just can't get em.

I can't say I have any statistics about this, but I imagine I'm not alone in ruining games to get pro perks. If it were up to me, I wouldn't have to go to these lengths.

Not a fan of this design.

junkster said:
I can't say I have any statistics about this, but I imagine I'm not alone in ruining games to get pro perks. If it were up to me, I wouldn't have to go to these lengths.

Pro perks are cool but not really necessary. I only got sleight of hand pro through my first 10 prestiges. They are good though, so they should be a challenge to get. Perhaps spread them out like, "Win 5 TDM matches by 300 pts or more" or "Hold 3 domination points for two minutes in one match".

Fantasmo

Mr Sandman said:
Marathon Pro is the only thing keeping me from prestige-ing for an extra create-a-class slot (I have one). Fuck that shit. The others are pretty easy to get. For Tac Mask Pro: Nuketown with Warlord Pro (extra tactical grenade), spam them after you spawn and rush in. Throw two Novas on Dom flags (double the killing speed).

Good techniques and thanks. Still, I can't help but think it's incredibly annoying to me and my teammates that I have to enter and leave Domination matches until I get Nuketown, plus now I have to get Warlord Pro first, which just plain sucks.

cuevas said:
Pro perks are cool but not really necessary. I only got sleight of hand pro through my first 10 prestiges. They are good though, so they should be a challenge to get. Perhaps spread them out like, "Win 5 TDM matches by 300 pts or more" or "Hold 3 domination points for two minutes in one match".

Sleight of hand Pro makes LMGs viable. Scout Pro makes Sniper rifles viable. Ghost Pro is practically a necessity when shooting down killstreaks if your team isn't doing it. Marathon Pro is a huge difference.

I like your suggestion, they should be acquired through regular gameplay, like 300 kills with one weapon, or get 100 kills with Sleight of Hand equipped, or destroy 10 enemy equipment with Hacker. Run 26 miles (without the CTF requirement) for Marathon Pro. Kinda how they have it in Combat Training but even more streamlined. It only makes sense because otherwise objective games can be completely ruined, even by people who enjoy them like me!

junkster said:
I like your suggestion, they should be acquired through regular gameplay, like 300 kills with one weapon, or get 100 kills with Sleight of Hand equipped, or destroy 10 enemy equipment with Hacker. Run 26 miles (without the CTF requirement) for Marathon Pro. Kinda how they have it in Combat Training but even more streamlined. It only makes sense because otherwise objective games can be completely ruined, even by people who enjoy them like me!

Hey, it's not like MW2 had a great way of earning Pro Perks that Treyarch could've copied.

Wait...

Oh...

Oh.

Fantasmo

Stallion Free said:
Ice cold.

Love MW2 but I'm past the Treyarch bashing even though I'm guilty as charged. It's become a relatively fun option despite some odd design choices with a few technical issues.

The Pro perk thing is really a fudger though, I don't know what they were thinking.

junkster said:
I know I'm gonna sound like a day one noob but I just started playing this again with a friend, so I forgot about this.

Pro perks need to be much easier to get, because the challenges ruin all gametypes. I'm playing on PS3 this time so I'm back at level 1 and I have to spend a lot of time getting pro perks which make a big difference in most cases.

Few of the challenges are made with winning in mind. In fact, nearly all of them involve lots of losing.

For example, if you want Tactical Mask Pro, which can be a great perk with Flak Jacket Pro (only bullets are deadly), you have to get 60 kills using one of each of the 3 tac grenades. So I can play forever trying to play right and get Nova Gas kills, or I can keep entering and leaving matches and go negative repeatedly until I find campers. How is this good for teamplay?

Flak Jacket Pro involves me throwing back five grenades, and being that Semtex can't be thrown back, and people usually cook the grenade, I either have to find the perfect spot (Firing Range snipe tower if I'm lucky and don't get picked off on the way up) or straight up putting myself in harms way (bomb points in Demolition, whether its a smart idea or not, mostly dumb because there are people watching the bomb with guns ready), to get it to happen.

Marathon Pro is a very useful perk. So that makes Capture the Flag even LESS of a viable mode because nobody wants to help you win. If you've got the flag, nobody wants you to return it, because they want you to die and drop the flag in hopes that they get it and bring it back instead. The fact that you have to cap it 15 times and that there's a long respawn times, makes Marathon Pro an extremely difficult pro perk to get and Capture the Flag an awful mode.

Ghost Pro requires someone to throw down a sentry gun, which comes up rarely. Nevermind that you have to be the one to destroy it without the safety of Ghost Pro to do that.

The only efficient way to do these things is either with a great team of friends, or by boosting with a friend in some cases, something that you can get reported for.

This wouldn't be a big deal if you didn't have to re-earn them after prestiging but you do. And some people prestige 15 times becoming a real detriment to your team. It must be even more frustrating for players who just can't get em.

I more or less agree, especially on Marathon Pro. Ninja Pro's a pain too.

Fantasmo

3ur4zn said:

Just thought of a simple and maybe nice solution.

Survive 10 explosions and win 5 Demolition matches: Flak Jacket Pro
Run 15 miles and win 5 CTF matches: Marathon Pro
Kill 50 enemies with a silenced weapon and win 5 Search and Destroy Matches: Ninja Pro
Hipfire 50 enemies with a shotgun and win 5 Team Deathmatches: Steady Aim Pro
100 ADS kills and win 5 Free for Alls: Sleight of Hand Pro
Stun, Flash, and Nova 10 people each (no kill required): Tactical Mask Pro
Destroy 10 equipment, and share 10 care packages: Hacker Pro
50 sniper rifle kills, and 50 secondary kills: Scout Pro
Resupply 50 times and win 5 Domination matches: Scavenger Pro
Win 5 Hardcore Team Deathmatches kill 5 people while downed: Second Chance Pro
Remove the Sentry gun part and leave the rest: Ghost Pro

Something like this would make people want to cooperate in objective games and gets them to try out the modes instead of forcing terrible match outcomes. Negative reinforcement vs Positive reinforcement.

junkster said:
Just thought of a simple and maybe nice solution.

Something like this would make people want to cooperate in objective games and gets them to try out the modes instead of forcing terrible match outcomes. Negative reinforcement vs Positive reinforcement.

The people that complain about this don't complain about having to capture flags in CTF or plant bombs in Demolition. The problem is being forced to even play the gametype in the first place.

Yeah, exactly. Demolition is an absolute campfest, populated with absolute retards, unassailable teams, or bomb campers. CTF is largely the same, except it's even harder to complete the objective when you lone wolf it. Domination isn't as bad, but again, lone-wolfing it typically means I get bent over by clans.

At least in TDM I can somewhat control and dictate the match, and overcome my teammates shitness. In the objective modes, it's fruitless.

USD

Jack Scofield said:
Hey, it's not like MW2 had a great way of earning Pro Perks that Treyarch could've copied.

Wait...

Oh...

Oh.
My exact thoughts. Cut the bullshit (i.e. game type requirements, etc.), and give me straight-up, logical, reasonable objectives. The only Pro perk I had a problem with in Modern Warfare 2 was SitRep Pro, but it was absolutely worth the trouble.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I really enjoy (most of) the objectives that are tied to the pro-perks, but I wish they weren't tied to the pro-perks. They should just be for XP and tag related stuff.

I still haven't bothered with Marathon Pro :(

O D I N

Mr Sandman said:
Marathon Pro is the only thing keeping me from prestige-ing for an extra create-a-class slot (I have one). Fuck that shit. The others are pretty easy to get. For Tac Mask Pro: Nuketown with Warlord Pro (extra tactical grenade), spam them after you spawn and rush in. Throw two Novas on Dom flags (double the killing speed).

This. I don't think I'm gonna prestige again, unless there's another double exp weekend, but that's a big if. It took me 4 prestiges to finally get Marathon Pro. Eff CTF.

Well, eff the flag caps. Mostly because every game of CTF I played trying to get flag caps, it was a bunch of corner campers. /knife runner griefing

cuevas said:

junkster said:
Sleight of hand Pro makes LMGs viable. Scout Pro makes Sniper rifles viable. Ghost Pro is practically a necessity when shooting down killstreaks if your team isn't doing it. Marathon Pro is a huge difference.

I like both of these, or at least variations of them.

I'm not much of a sniper anymore, but I see little use for Scout. I just don't think you should be holding your breath for too long. :-/ That's just me.

AnEternalEnigma said:
The people that complain about this don't complain about having to capture flags in CTF or plant bombs in Demolition. The problem is being forced to even play the gametype in the first place.

:raises hand: Trying to CTF is a pain. If they made it Capture 5 flags, that's one thing. Trying to get 15 is a pain unless you have a reliable group willing to help you out. Near impossible with randoms. I never had to much trouble with Demo, but I agree that Demo is a total camp fest too.

All of this is just my opinion, but I also play completely different from a normal CoD player (rusher w/Knife and Thawk). So I die. A LOT. >.>

aku:jiki said:
Haha, oh my god! This part made me fall off my fucking chair: "I grizz right in my pants every time I 360, and when I ladder stall it's like having sex to me."

What is a ladder stall?

And "doing 360s". Is this why I'll run into people who instead of shooting me try to spin around really fast? That's....incredible.

aku:jiki

PalaceBrother said:
What is a ladder stall?

And "doing 360s". Is this why I'll run into people who instead of shooting me try to spin around really fast? That's....incredible.
A ladder stall is when you jump to a ladder and bounce off it, then do a 360 or whatever and get a kill. It can look pretty awesome sometimes.

The kids are still obsessed with copying this CoD4 montage that's like 100 years old:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxAc1ZdRrVU
(In case you don't know already, the song zorro posted is basically an extended reference to this montage.)

LaneMeyer

O D I N said:
:raises hand: Trying to CTF is a pain. If they made it Capture 5 flags, that's one thing. Trying to get 15 is a pain unless you have a reliable group willing to help you out. Near impossible with randoms.
I disagree. It took me a while to get my Marathon Pro, but it's very doable solo. In fact, I got 3/15 during my first match. You just have to identify a clear path (usually clearing it along the way) and hurry back. Yes, you'll die a lot, but SMGs and Ballistic Knife works as it keeps you light and lets you fire/melee fast.

The 10 First Blood's are hard too, but Search and Destroy are good maps for that (not to mention the few you can get in CTF while getting your flags).

Also, everyone should be playing Hardcore. People actually play the game in HC as it tends to weed out the jerks.

O D I N

LaneMeyer said:
I disagree. It took me a while to get my Marathon Pro, but it's very doable solo. In fact, I got 3/15 during my first match. You just have to identify a clear path (usually clearing it along the way) and hurry back. Yes, you'll die a lot, but SMGs and Ballistic Knife works as it keeps you light and lets you fire/melee fast.

The 10 First Blood's are hard too, but Search and Destroy are good maps for that (not to mention the few you can get in CTF while getting your flags).

Also, everyone should be playing Hardcore. People actually play the game in HC as it tends to weed out the jerks.

I used to play HC. But that's where I find nothing but campers. :< Every game of HC I've played in BLops has nothing but ghost users. Like HC in MW2 (except that was cold blooded).

I guess the games I've played of CTF just didn't work for me; I got mine after playing with a full team rather than randoms (couple were HC CTF... I was a douche and shot a random once. >_>). I usually run SMG/B.Knife.

The problem I have now is get my offense medals for LW. I never had a problem until this prestige. o_O weird.

aku:jiki

divisionbyzorro said:
Play CTF.
Grab enemy flag.
Don't return it; just kill people.
Each kill nets you an offense medal.
Anywhere around the bomb in Demolition is offense, and there's always someone there. (Just saying that because I hate CTF.)

The predictability of Demolition makes First Bloods easy too. Just switch to handgun and run like hell down the middle path, switch to shotgun right at the last corner and boom. Every time, seriously.

cuevas said:
You mean the first one? ;)

Discovery is one of the best maps in the game. It's a shame you got so trigger happy with your hatred button after less than a day.

Kowloon is also fantastic, and while I personally love Berlin Wall, I can see why some don't like it.

I hate Stadium.

3ur4zn said:
Discovery is one of the best maps in the game. It's a shame you got so trigger happy with your hatred button after less than a day.

Kowloon is also fantastic, and while I personally love Berlin Wall, I can see why some don't like it.

I hate Stadium.

Yeah keep reinforcing the fact that you have terrible tastes in maps.

3ur4zn said:

I hate Stadium.
I love Discovery and hate Berlin Wall.

cuevas said:
Yeah keep reinforcing the fact that you have terrible tastes in maps.

Keep reinforcing the fact your over-reliance on generalisations consistently does your arguments no favours.

We clearly have very different tastes in maps. Considering you play Domination almost exclusively and rely on teamwork, and I play TDM exclusively and rely on only myself, I don't think it's difficult to see why we disagree. Clearly some maps suit playstyles and game modesmore than others.

Still, you've put about 2 hours total into four new maps, whereas I've spent the at least a month exploring each, learning the intricacies of all four, and have come to grips with the method of ensuring each map layout works to my style. I think I'm slightly more qualified to give an opinion.

Is this real?

MapPackInfo.jpg

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
3ur4zn said:

I hate Stadium.

I agree with you on Discovery and Kowloon. Berlin Wall is decent. Stadium is also my least favorite but I don't hate it.

O D I N

Mr Sandman said:
Seems like it was leaked by GAME? I guess it's possible that it's real. Zoo sounds like a fun map. "Call of the Dead" though?

Think it'd be called, "Survive".

If those are real, those sound pretty good. 3 days before my birthday too.

Mr Sandman said:
Seems like it was leaked by GAME? I guess it's possible that it's real.

Well, if not, it's a very professional fake.

I can't remember if the single player game featured a hotel, a convoy section, a zoo or a stockpile, which would go some way to proving its validity.

3ur4zn said:
Well, if not, it's a very professional fake.

I can't remember if the single player game featured a hotel, a convoy section, a zoo or a stockpile, which would go some way to proving its validity.

Ask and you shall receive, apparently. :)

I hope it's real. I love Stadium, I like Discovery. Berlin Wall is okay but only if you have 10+ players (I've seen games with 6 on that map and it's too big for that small a number) and Kowloon is my least favorite. Reminds me of Chinatown. Lots of people camping in windows.

arnoldocastillo2003 said:
Is this real?

MapPackInfo.jpg

Holy crap, I hope this is true. Was just chatting with my officemate yesterday, wondering when the next map pack would hit. Can anyone at least confirm that the art they've used it new? I hope that would at least point to more legitimacy for it, rather than if some kid just founds some random CoD art on the 'net and made the ad himself.

Also, last night, tried out some new builds, with pretty disastrous results. I am not a submachine gun kind of guy. :(

O D I N

KoreanBarbecue said:
Holy crap, I hope this is true. Was just chatting with my officemate yesterday, wondering when the next map pack would hit. Can anyone at least confirm that the art they've used it new? I hope that would at least point to more legitimacy for it, rather than if some kid just founds some random CoD art on the 'net and made the ad himself.

Also, last night, tried out some new builds, with pretty disastrous results. I am not a submachine gun kind of guy. :(

I can confirm the image in convoy is on the "Commando" playercard.

The rest looks new, and legit (hotel is a Mac11 with suppressor. Fun fact! The gun was made to be used for a suppressor.).

Otherwise, yeah. It's a damn good looking fake.

Miggytronz

Australian retailer Game has supposedly leaked an e-flier for a new Black Ops DLC map pack entitled Escalation.

The pack comes to Xbox Live first on May 3 (the month/day date format on the flier is reversed for much of the rest of the world), and later on an unspecified date to PS3 and PC (like First Strike).

According to the flier, the pack will include a zoo, hotel, convoy, a stockpile, and the zombie level call of the dead.

We're excited to see what these maps have to offer, and hopefully Activision says something official about Escalation soon.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...w-call-of-duty-black-ops-map-pack-leaked.aspx

3ur4zn said:

Agree with you on everything except Ghost Pro. I've had absolutely zero problems getting Pro for that perk. The only real downsize is spending time shooting down 30 aircraft. Maybe I just get into more matches with Sentry guns than other folks.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
KoreanBarbecue said:

I use the MP5 on Kowloon. On a rare occasion I might use it on Stadium or Summit. That is about it.

3ur4zn said:

Yeah I quit worrying about Ninja Pro after like my 3rd prestige. I won't even try to get it again until I hit 15. Until then regular Ninja will suffice.

KoreanBarbecue said:
Agree with you on everything except Ghost Pro. I've had absolutely zero problems getting Pro for that perk. The only real downsize is spending time shooting down 30 aircraft. Maybe I just get into more matches with Sentry guns than other folks.

I think the problem with getting Ghost Pro for some people is that they switch perks a lot. So sometimes even if they encounter a sentry gun they don't have Ghost equipped. Then you may go another 30 matches without seeing a sentry gun. I use Ghost for every map except Nuketown so that is never a problem for me.

Top Bottom