• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

KoreanBarbecue said:
Not to distract from what ya did (100 kills = impressive). But that stat screen basically shows why I don't play Domination anymore. Folks just running around, trying to get lots of kills, not getting any captures.

I play the objective, just not really that match, wasn't much of a need really. I am a kill whore though i'll admit, but I'm competitive and want to win, so i'll play the objective if need be, i'm not just blatantly ignoring the objective.

I've had quite a few 70 plus kill games with 3 plus captures, i'll see if any are still in my games list...

computers putin' said:
I play the objective, just not really that match, wasn't much of a need really. I am a kill whore though i'll admit, but I'm competitive and want to win, so i'll play the objective if need be, i'm not just blatantly ignoring the objective.

I've had quite a few 70 plus kill games with 3 plus captures, i'll see if any are still in my games list...

THREE CAPTURES? YOU ARE RIDICULOUS!!!

cuevas said:
THREE CAPTURES? YOU ARE RIDICULOUS!!!

enough of the sarcasm, what are you trying to call me out on? On average I see 2 cap points per person per match, so I think 3 is the starting point for a high amount of captures. If you disagree I wouldn't mind you elaborating a bit as to why.

computers putin' said:
enough of the sarcasm, what are you trying to call me out on? On average I see 2 cap points per person per match, so I think 3 is the starting point for a high amount of captures. If you disagree I wouldn't mind you elaborating a bit as to why.

Don't mind him, that's just "his way." I just put him on my ignore list. Problem solved.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
SumPog said:
Do you guys have comfortable guns to play with? I always find myself playing with a Famas, Commando or Aug because every other gun is basically inferior.

AK74U, love abusing that gun

Or maybe you guys could play a gametype that actually requires skill ie Search instead of endless demolition/domination where you farm kills.

_Alkaline_ said:
Or maybe you guys could play a gametype that actually requires skill ie Search instead of endless demolition/domination where you farm kills.
Skill? That's definitely the most team oriented gametype but you have to be able to shoot a gun in all gametypes. Although this probably is no longer true with perks, equipment, and killstreaks.

kuYuri

Just noticed that stuff on Twitter. Pretty cool that they added the competitive stuff for competitive players such as in MLG.

_Alkaline_ said:
Farming or not, 50+ kills in a domination game takes skill. If it didn't, everybody would be doing it.

aku:jiki

computers putin' said:

Don't worry about it, most of us know what's up. It's possible to play the objective without ever actually interacting with it. I never throw myself on the bomb because that can be suicidal - I clear the bomb site and keep it clear for my teammate to plant. So, yeah, like all my impressive scoreboards read "A billion kills, zero objective interaction."

But, I mean... The killwhores who are all up in the spawn or doing other stuff are doing it wrong. Playing the objective is where the real killwhoring is!

_Alkaline_ said:
I don't know that it requires more skill just because you don't respawn. More like more patience.

It all comes down to whether you can aim your gun or not. Search just demands that you play slower and more deliberately, which isn't really more skillful.

PalaceBrother said:
Farming or not, 50+ kills in a domination game takes skill. If it didn't, everybody would be doing it.

I does depend on it being a really close Domination game mind, but yeah having 100 kills is awesome in any match really.

I do wish though that there were more incentive for playing as a team. I've always said that the number of points for capping/defending flags should be increased even more and the kill points be reduced more.

Also, 50 points to go out of my way to revive someone? Meh.

Nabs

Heavy's Sandvich said:
What settings are people using on the pc version?

I've got a 5770.
4xAA, textures on high, shader warming on, vsync off and fov at max (best setting in the game, thank you based god). i'm also on the latest drivers. I have a 5850, so I recommend lowering some of that for better performance.

Ugh. Generally I like Vahn on Twitter, but I really don't understand his stance here:

DavidVonderhaar said:
No @woodysgamertag and others I am not going to break down the sniper rifle tuning changes in detail. Ever.

Why would he flat-out refuse to give details? What good does that do anyone?

aku:jiki said:
So why are your numbers something like 1500 UAVs, 400 Blackbirds, 300 Chopper Gunners and...80 Dogs? That's some terrible lying right there.

THINK ABOUT IT. How many UAV's would I earn a match? 4 or 5, probably. How many dogs? Once probably every 3 or 4 games. How many kills to earn a UAV? 3. How many for dogs? 11.

You do the maths there, my Swedish comrade.

New patch incoming?

Yeah, it's online for 360. Just downloaded it then. It adds a competitive playlist, and some cosmetic changes in preparation for the DLC.

I just tried out some of the competitive lobbies. Absolute ghost towns. Bah!

Detox

So glad they are making a competitive playlist after IW promised it for MW2. The gametype is basically COD without the bullshit.

Kermit The Dog said:
I just tried out some of the competitive lobbies. Absolute ghost towns. Bah!
:(, well it is a new patch once the news gets out hopefully the competitive playlist will start filling up. Competitive COD is much more popular than competitive Halo online so hopefully it will hit a couple of thousand players at least.

kuYuri

thezerofire said:
what's in the competitive playlists?

I believe gametypes are Domination, CTF, and Search and Destroy only. Some weapons, perks, and attachments are banned.

Banned Weapons and Tactical Grenades
- All secondary launchers
- Nova Gas
- Decoy Grenade

All equipment are banned

Banned Perks
- Flak Jacket
- Warlord
- Second Chance

Banned Attachments
- Rapid Fire
- Grenade Launcher
- Flamethrower

- All killstreaks are disabled.

- Certain parameters have been changed, such as bomb defuses being longer, etc. Friendly fire is also apparently enabled.

If you have any of the above stuff equipped when you enter the playlist, it simply disappears from your class when in use.

Strider2K99 said:
I believe gametypes are Domination, CTF, and Search and Destroy only. Some weapons, perks, and attachments are banned.

- Nova Gas
- Decoy Grenade

All equipment are banned

Banned Perks
- Flak Jacket
- Warlord
- Second Chance

Banned Attachments
- Rapid Fire
- Grenade Launcher
- Flamethrower

- Certain parameters have been changed, such as bomb defuses being longer, etc. Friendly fire is also apparently enabled.

If you have any of the above stuff equipped when you enter the playlist, it simply disappears from your class when in use.
Sounds reasonable, I don't use any of that so I should fit in just fine

Strider2K99 said:

- Nova Gas
- Decoy Grenade

All equipment are banned

Banned Perks
- Flak Jacket
- Warlord
- Second Chance

Banned Attachments
- Rapid Fire
- Grenade Launcher
- Flamethrower

so join with a full party or get fucked.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Doesn't look like competitive play would affect me much. I'd just have to switch from nova gas to flashbangs. Still no desire to play like that though. Competitive players sound like a bunch of cunts.

kuYuri

When I watched MLG a few weeks back, the most common loadout seemed to be:

Famas w/ Red Dot Sight
Python w/ Speed Reloader
Frag Grenade
Concussion Grenade
Lightweight Pro
Sleight of Hand Pro
Ninja Pro

90% of teams consisted of this, which makes it kind of boring to me. Occasionally you get different people use Scavenger or Marathon, or use an AK-74u, but that was rare. After that, it's all skill and knowing the maps.

Xbox 360 patch notes via the official forum:

LIVE FIXES

4/28/11
(Title Update 8)

• Support for Escalation Map Pack (Releasing 5/3/11)
• Security Updates.
• Addition of banner-style Message of the Day on the MP Main Menu.
• Addition of Hardcore FFA and TDM for Combat Training.
• Additional sniper rifle tuning changes.
• Addition of “Competition” Barebones playlist.
• Replaced RPG with Grim Reaper in Gun Game Wager Match.
• Prevent automatic weapons from jamming if the player is feathering the fire button on “Default Alt”, “Tactical Flipped” or “Nom4d Flipped”.
• Fine-tuned napalm and bombing-run damage indoors.
• Prevented rare invulnerability issue.
• Additional game mode timer options for Custom Games.
• Fixed a minor out of map exploit in Grid.
• General Killcam and death-cam improvements.
• Improved Auto-Assign reliability in Private Match.
• Addressed an infinite “joining session in progress” screen under very specific timing conditions.
• Demolition bombs can no longer explode and be defused at the same time.
• Spy play now activates in One in the Chamber in all cases.
• The “Sprint Kills” challenge for Steady Aim perk now rewards the player with the correct number of kills.
• Contracts purchased but not yet expired no longer count as expired when viewing a friend’s player card.
• Addressed a rare issue where a hacked camera spike would not function properly if the hacker also had a camera spike that was destroyed.
• Recording a clip with the speed mode for 2 cameras set to .1 will no longer increase in speed when switching perspectives back and forth.
• Improvements to Zipline functionality when viewed in Theater mode.
• Settings from custom games are all cleared and no longer carry over from one custom match to another.
• Improvements to map voting reliability in lobbies.
• Nova gas will now affect players that are standing over their tactical insertion.
• Hardcore players who kill another teammate in Second Chance now lose the proper amount of points.
• Players can no longer transfer emblems/backgrounds from Combat Training to Player Match.
• Player is no longer able to use a primary weapon in Second Chance (rare, specific instance).
• Improvements to “Community” filters.

Nothing really major, although word is the sniper rifle has reduced random sway when first scoping in, which should make quickscoping bitches in this thread very happy pandas.
KuGsj.gif

Strider2K99 said:
When I watched MLG a few weeks back, the most common loadout seemed to be:

Famas w/ Red Dot Sight
Python w/ Speed Reloader
Frag Grenade
Concussion Grenade
Lightweight Pro
Sleight of Hand Pro
Ninja Pro

90% of teams consisted of this, which makes it kind of boring to me. Occasionally you get different people use Scavenger or Marathon, or use an AK-74u, but that was rare. After that, it's all skill and knowing the maps.
Yeah I didn't understand that either. Is the FAMAS really that good?

A red dot on most guns is a waste, the iron sights aren't that obtrusive to even need one

I wish the knife would've been retweeked. An overpowered knife>>>>>>an inconsistent one

Xux

thezerofire said:
Yeah I didn't understand that either. Is the FAMAS really that good?

Yup.

It's hilarious that Rapid Fire's banned since it makes the AK74u and MP5k almost as good as the FAMAS and AUG and the other seven SMGs almost good at close range.

Xux said:
Yup.

It's hilarious that Rapid Fire's banned since it makes the AK74u and MP5k almost as good as the FAMAS and AUG and the other seven SMGs almost good at close range.
I've always found the AK47 more useful, but I'm no pro so I guess my opinion doesn't count as much.

Patch list looks good - guess I have to go online with it and check the sniping out, though I'm not expecting any real difference. Awesome that they fixed the Demo glitch too. It's pretty rare, of course, but it really sucks to lose when my team did manage to pull off a last-second defuse.

What's up with the RPG/Wager Match tweak? That one's so random...

The only time I've seen a benefit of using the red dot sight was when I placed it on the AUG. It appeared to make it more accurate and the recoil more manageable. But I would concede that it may have had a placebo-like effect.

Xux

thezerofire said:
I've always found the AK47 more useful, but I'm no pro so I guess my opinion doesn't count as much.

Yeah, it's easier to use at longer ranges. The pros love that time-to-kill, though.

So it's nice to see they finally added sniping to this game! Sway is still there, what they removed was the dumbass scoping inaccuracy. It will now scope in where you're aiming, and not 5 feet to the side!

I played a match and captured some clips. You can really see the difference in some shots - mainly the shots on the Ghost using a Strela, and behind that guy on the middle bridge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrZnC_Kyqro
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-rsyX3kJXg

cameltoe

That competitive playlist is funny as shit....

A few things you must know before trying it out.

1) Everyone that joins that playlist is a "pro".......uh huh...
2) The G11 is banned in MLG (at least thats what they kept screaming at me) so that means if you use it here, be prepared to be hear, "dude you are so not a pro" over and over again.
3) They all use the Famas or the ak74u...apparently those are the "pro" guns...
4) If you "turn" on someone, get ready for a shitload of insults about your game; tactics, aim...you name it.

I can't wait to hop back on tonight....my G11 is ready!!

O D I N

Heavy's Sandvich said:
The only time I've seen a benefit of using the red dot sight was when I placed it on the AUG. It appeared to make it more accurate and the recoil more manageable. But I would concede that it may have had a placebo-like effect.

I'll second the placebo effect. It affects me too, but I'd prefer to not use a sight if needed.

I'd love to get an ACOG sight on my knife though... >.>

What's up with the RPG/Wager Match tweak? That one's so random...

When the game first launched, the Grim Reaper was part of Gun Game. At some point (I don't recall when), they replaced it with the RPG. I have no idea why they did it then, and I have no idea why they're doing it now.

They really should add the Valkyrie Rockets and Death Machine into Gun Game as well. Or better yet - tomahawks...

divisionbyzorro said:
When the game first launched, the Grim Reaper was part of Gun Game. At some point (I don't recall when), they replaced it with the RPG. I have no idea why they did it then, and I have no idea why they're doing it now.

They really should add the Valkyrie Rockets and Death Machine into Gun Game as well. Or better yet - tomahawks...
Oh, right, good call! Totally forgot about that. And, yeah, I'm with you there - no idea why they'd do either.

How about the napalm tweak? Any good? I haven't been airstruck by anything yet so I haven't been able to see if it's as good a tweak as the sniper fix.

Oh, right, good call! Totally forgot about that. And, yeah, I'm with you there - no idea why they'd do either.

How about the napalm tweak? Any good? I haven't been airstruck by anything yet so I haven't been able to see if it's as good a tweak as the sniper fix.

I hope to god they fixed the hit detection for the Napalm Strike. I'm seriously sick of getting killed inside buildings from that thing...

Top Bottom