• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

aku:jiki said:
So it's nice to see they finally added sniping to this game! Sway is still there, what they removed was the dumbass scoping inaccuracy. It will now scope in where you're aiming, and not 5 feet to the side!

I played a match and captured some clips. You can really see the difference in some shots - mainly the shots on the Ghost using a Strela, and behind that guy on the middle bridge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrZnC_Kyqro
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-rsyX3kJXg

Excellent video, shows exactly why quickscoping is ridiculous and despised. Here's hoping you get your kd above 1.5 now that your favoured playstyle has returned. =)

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
cameltoe said:
That competitive playlist is funny as shit....

A few things you must know before trying it out.

1) Everyone that joins that playlist is a "pro".......uh huh...
2) The G11 is banned in MLG (at least thats what they kept screaming at me) so that means if you use it here, be prepared to be hear, "dude you are so not a pro" over and over again.
3) They all use the Famas or the ak74u...apparently those are the "pro" guns...
4) If you "turn" on someone, get ready for a shitload of insults about your game; tactics, aim...you name it.

I can't wait to hop back on tonight....my G11 is ready!!

HAHA I might have to play this now just to piss people off. I'll shove my Galil up their Famas loving asses!

O D I N

cameltoe said:
That competitive playlist is funny as shit....

A few things you must know before trying it out.

1) Everyone that joins that playlist is a "pro".......uh huh...
2) The G11 is banned in MLG (at least thats what they kept screaming at me) so that means if you use it here, be prepared to be hear, "dude you are so not a pro" over and over again.
3) They all use the Famas or the ak74u...apparently those are the "pro" guns...
4) If you "turn" on someone, get ready for a shitload of insults about your game; tactics, aim...you name it.

I can't wait to hop back on tonight....my Knife and Tomahawk are ready!!

Hmmm...

/Challenge accepted.jpg

Also, fixed for my taste.

So it's nice to see they finally added sniping to this game! Sway is still there, what they removed was the dumbass scoping inaccuracy. It will now scope in where you're aiming, and not 5 feet to the side!

I played a match and captured some clips. You can really see the difference in some shots - mainly the shots on the Ghost using a Strela, and behind that guy on the middle bridge.

finally

Kermit The Dog said:
Excellent video, shows exactly why quickscoping is ridiculous and despised. Here's hoping you get your kd above 1.5 now that your favoured playstyle has returned. =)

that's hardly quickscoping

SpaceHobbit

Neo Member

It only took six months.

thezerofire said:
finally

that's hardly quickscoping

What would you call it? No-scoping? There was a bit of that.

It's not AKU's fault, good on him if he's good at it, but the developers making it a legitimate playstyle is the major issue.

it was some quickscoping some noscoping and some scoping...it had it all and it was sexy. I tried doing that a few days ago. to get a video posted here, but was lucky to end my k/d even...I kept getting a shot on but it wouldn't be a one shot one kill and then I'd get taken down easy...do you go into hardcore modes to do that kinda stuff?

Kermit The Dog said:
What would you call it? No-scoping? There was a bit of that.

It's not AKU's fault, good on him if he's good at it, but the developers making it a legitimate playstyle is the major issue.
I'd call it mostly just scoping. As far as I'm concerned, if you're scoped all the way in it isn't quick.

Slizz

Played for the first time since the new update. Used the L96A1, dunno if I noticed the less drag when coming up to scope but I did feel a tad more accurate. Meh whatev

XeroSauce

Had a team camping every possible camping spot on Summit with AK74us + Rapid Fire + SoH. The entire team. Picked up on AK74us and never ran out of ammo for the thing. Fucking pathetic.

This was PC so the servers are mostly 9v9, which throws game balance out the window most of the time.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
XeroSauce said:
Had a team camping every possible camping spot on Summit with AK74us + Rapid Fire + SoH. The entire team. Picked up on AK74us and never ran out of ammo for the thing. Fucking pathetic.

This was PC so the servers are mostly 9v9, which throws game balance out the window most of the time.
Lol good thing you can avoid servers that are 18p cap and pick ones that are 12p cap. That said, the only map that's actually imbalanced for 18p is Nuke Town and to be fair, that's not balanced for more than 2v2.

Nabs

If you join a server and find that there is an entire group laming it out on the best map in the game, leave immediately.

XeroSauce

Nabs said:
If you join a server and find that there is an entire group laming it out on the best map in the game, leave immediately.

I would have but I was in a 'party' and I didn't want to take 4 people away from the losing team.

Stallion Free said:
Lol good thing you can avoid servers that are 18p cap and pick ones that are 12p cap. That said, the only map that's actually imbalanced for 18p is Nuke Town and to be fair, that's not balanced for more than 2v2.

Do you have any good suggestions? :( I've been favouriting every one I could find but there aren't many.

Nabs

If you were part of a squad you should have just matched their lame shit with more lame shit. That's when our troll classes come out and the real fun begins.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Nabs said:
If you were part of a squad you should have just matched their lame shit with more lame shit. That's when our troll classes come out and the real fun begins.
AK-47U Grenade Launcher + China Lake + Last Stand (in hardcore).

aku:jiki

TryHardNinja made a new song, another Bruno Mars parody.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGwYkX5Aq5k

Don't really like this one as much as Grenade or TNT.

xxjuicesxx said:
it was some quickscoping some noscoping and some scoping...it had it all and it was sexy. I tried doing that a few days ago. to get a video posted here, but was lucky to end my k/d even...I kept getting a shot on but it wouldn't be a one shot one kill and then I'd get taken down easy...do you go into hardcore modes to do that kinda stuff?
No hardcore, man, just good old regular. That match was actually crappy too, what those clips don't show is that I had a 1.5KD and dozens of hitmarkers. :)

Just thought those few shots really exemplified what the patch did. It just feels less cumbersome to snipe now.

Boerseun

Banned
I picked up the PC version yesterday. I had heard that people were experiencing frame rate problems, but this is ridiculous!

After searching high and low for a solution, I came upon the following page. These config edits seem the best way of getting the game playable. (Note that it may still randomly slow down to a crawl.)

Tips for improving Black Ops PC performance

I’ve already covered a few configuration file tweaks that reduce the stuttering in multiplayer, so I will not repeat those here. Instead I’ll focus on a few graphics-related entries that can improve the basic framerate for those who are more troubled by poor framerates in general than processor utilization. But let’s find those configuration files first:

Navigate to the C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/call of duty black ops/players folder on your PC.

Open the config.cfg and config_mp.cfg files with notepad. The former is for singleplayer the latter for multiplayer and they’re generated only after starting the respective components!

These are the keywords you’ll want to search (Ctrl + F) for and edit in the configuration files.

r_glow_allowed – set this to 0 for a large performance boost.

sm_enable – set this to 0 for a large performance boost.

r_drawdecals – set this to 0 for a decent performance boost.

r_dof_enable – set this to 0 for a decent performance boost.

r_distortion – set this to 0 for a minimal performance boost.

r_blur_allowed – set this to 0 for a minimal performance boost.

r_multiGPU – set this to 0 unless you have multiple video cards in SLI / Crossfire.

r_multithreaded_device – set this to 1 so that it properly supports your multi-core processor.

cl_maxpackets – set this to 100 for optimal multiplayer connectivity.

snaps – setting this to 30 should result in a better multiplayer connection.

com_maxfps – set this to 60 for a stable optimal framerate. It can be set lower and it’s important to note that a stable framerate is much more important than high FPS! It’s much more annoying to suffer from framerate drops than from low FPS in shooters.

Save the configuration files when you’re done and you should see much higher and more stable framerates.

Additionally, I turned off shadows and set the above max fps to 30 and not 60. I've also turned down the resolution to 1280 x 720.

I kind of regret getting the PC version now, but anyway, hopefully the above can be of use to someone else on here.

On a different but similar note -

I've encountered a game breaking bug early in the campaign. It happens during the firefight as you escape Castro's villa. The BTR (armoured troop carrier) appears and my character immediately drops down dead, regardless of where I am on the map. Or, the BTR appears, and about two seconds later I get the message "Your actions led to your team being killed", or something to that effect, and the game ends. This happens at all available difficulty levels, and even if I blow up the BTR with the rocket launcher.

I'll start the campaign over tomorrow, maybe try some more multiplayer tonight. I'm not really in the mood for struggling with this game anymore though.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
What's your rig? I rarely drop below the default 91 fps cap with a modest to high end rig and I don't turn any effects off. Sounds pretty awful.

I mean no shadows and 30 fps cap? *shudders*

Boerseun

Banned
I installed Black Ops on my laptop, as I'll be travelling soon. It has an Intel i5-450M CPU, GeForce GT 540M GPU, and 8 GB DDR3 RAM. The OS is Windows 7 64 bit. It should be noted this machine has been capable of running anything and everything I throw at it, usually at 1366 x 768 with maximum graphical detail.

The technical problems with the PC version of Black Ops are actually quite widespread. So either you are running a massive rig capable of powering its way through the hiccups, or you are just supremely lucky. :)

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Boerseun said:
I installed Black Ops on my laptop, as I'll be travelling soon. It has an Intel i5-450M CPU, GeForce GT 540M GPU, and 8 GB DDR3 RAM. The OS is Windows 7 64 bit. It should be noted this machine has been capable of running anything and everything I throw at it, usually at 1366 x 768 with maximum graphical detail.

The technical problems with the PC version of Black Ops are actually quite widespread. So either you are running a massive rig capable of powering its way through the hiccups, or you are just supremely lucky. :)
I play with about 6 or so friends who have the exact same experience as me currently. Pretty much all issues we had prior have been fixed by current drivers and patches.

Boerseun

Banned
Stallion Free said:
I play with about 6 or so friends who have the exact same experience as me currently. Pretty much all issues we had prior have been fixed by current drivers and patches.

I appreciate the feedback.

The game updates before you can play it, so I assume I have all the newest patches.

I think I'll install it on my desktop PC later in the week. I bought it for taking on the road though, so it would be dissappointing if I couldn't get it working satisfactorily on the laptop.

cuevas said:
You're playing MP on a PC, should set graphics to lowest anyways.

The game is hardly a graphical powerhouse though. And now we need to turn down the detail just to get it into a playable state?

I'm happy for Stallion Free and company who can get it running smoothly, but there are many gamers who aren't as fortunate. (Google "black ops framerate problems".) And, as others have noted, why should a computer that can run Modern Warfare 2 in max detail be struggling with Black Ops?

Boerseun said:
The game is hardly a graphical powerhouse though. And now we need to turn down the detail just to get it into a playable state?

No, that's just how your supposed to play it. Who wants to have all that BS like shit floating around your screen? f that

Mr Sandman said:
Crap floating around =/= higher graphics settings. Have you seen the game on lowest? It's PS2 quality. I think you can turn off the floaties in the config.

Good, don't need all that fancy shit if it has great gameplay.

1.6 is still fun :)

Had perhaps my first match over the weekend where I actually felt really bad for the opposing team. We won 7500-1900. I got a Hind and managed to pull off 18 kills alone with it before it timed out. I'm all for huge wins, but man, even I felt bad for that team. Anyone else ever been in a match like that before?

KoreanBarbecue said:
Had perhaps my first match over the weekend where I actually felt really bad for the opposing team. We won 7500-1900. I got a Hind and managed to pull off 18 kills alone with it before it timed out. I'm all for huge wins, but man, even I felt bad for that team. Anyone else ever been in a match like that before?

All the time. Infact, my last game was like that. Grid. I went 26 - 2 or something, and everyone else on my team had at least a 2KDR. It was annihilation. I only feel bad when I hear a STRELA lock-on indicator, find the bastard, kill him, rinse/repeat x 3. Poor bastard.

You gotta take the good with the bad though, it sucks even more when the tables are turned.

Kermit The Dog said:
All the time. Infact, my last game was like that. Grid. I went 26 - 2 or something, and everyone else on my team had at least a 2KDR. It was annihilation. I only feel bad when I hear a STRELA lock-on indicator, find the bastard, kill him, rinse/repeat x 3. Poor bastard.

You gotta take the good with the bad though, it sucks even more when the tables are turned.

I hear ya. I also had a match where my team lost like 7500-3000. I went 24-5. The rest of the team, not so much. :\

KoreanBarbecue said:
I hear ya. I also had a match where my team lost like 7500-3000. I went 24-5. The rest of the team, not so much. :\

Yeah, those are the matches that drive me nuts.

All I need is ONE teammate to go positive, and we'd win. But no, my 31- 5 isn't enough when 5 people are going 4 - 13, etc. UGH. Like I've said before, it stirs something sinister deep inside me. :lol

Slizz

Yesterday I got into a match mid-way through. 5200-800. Of course I am on the team with 800. Soon as I enter chopper gunner and dogs get called on Firing Range. I was the leader on my team going 3-8....

Slizz said:
Yesterday I got into a match mid-way through. 5200-800. Of course I am on the team with 800. Soon as I enter chopper gunner and dogs get called on Firing Range. I was the leader on my team going 3-8....

I hate join in progress for this reason alone lol. The game should allow you to spectate for 30 seconds before auto shoving you in the game, if you decide not to stay in that lobby leaving shouldn't count as a loss.

If I start a game im normally able to carry (100% if I go in with a good friend), but if I don't even start a game and get shoved in near the end it just sucks.

bobs99 ... said:
I hate join in progress for this reason alone lol. The game should allow you to spectate for 30 seconds before auto shoving you in the game, if you decide not to stay in that lobby leaving shouldn't count as a loss.

If I start a game im normally able to carry (100% if I go in with a good friend), but if I don't even start a game and get shoved in near the end it just sucks.

This wouldn't be a problem if dashboarding carried penalties. If you get disconnected from a game due to any reason other than a failed host migration it should count as a loss and your KDR statistics should update accordingly.

As it stands now people bail out of a losing game with no penalties, so people who have just logged on constantly get tossed into losing games.

bobs99 ... said:

Agreed. But there's no better feeling than getting shoved into a losing match, and being the one that helps spark an epic comeback. :)

Magnus

My buddy wants to know when he should expect Escalation to be released for download on Live. Release date is May 3 (tomorrow) -- but doesn't XBL only update on Wednesdays?

And if it is tomorrow, will it become available tonight at 12am? Eastern/Pacific? Or at some other determined time tomorrow?

kuYuri

Magnus said:
My buddy wants to know when he should expect Escalation to be released for download on Live. Release date is May 3 (tomorrow) -- but doesn't XBL only update on Wednesdays?

And if it is tomorrow, will it become available tonight at 12am? Eastern/Pacific? Or at some other determined time tomorrow?

Read two posts just above yours...

Also, you're thinking of XBLA Wednesdays, XBL content in general goes up throughout the week as they become available.

PalaceBrother said:
This wouldn't be a problem if dashboarding carried penalties. If you get disconnected from a game due to any reason other than a failed host migration it should count as a loss and your KDR statistics should update accordingly.

As it stands now people bail out of a losing game with no penalties, so people who have just logged on constantly get tossed into losing games.
Er, everything, including host disconnection, counts as a loss in BO.

Even if you join a match and spectate, if you allow the game to kick you after 45 seconds, it counts as a loss. Leaving the game counts as a loss. Dashboarding is recorded with a loss. There's no way to leave a game before it's conclusion without incurring a loss.

Curiously, dashboarding doesn't count towards your W/L streak, but counts as a loss in your W/L ratio. Baffling.

The system is necessarily shit.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Kermit The Dog said:
Er, everything, including host disconnection, counts as a loss in BO.
Which is a complete joke. I swear about half my losses are from this.

Future call of duty games better be able to deal with host disconnects.

Dashboarding needs to count towards your KD also (pretty sure it doesn't currently), perhaps even carry an additional penalty.

user_nat said:
Dashboarding needs to count towards your KD also (pretty sure it doesn't currently), perhaps even carry an additional penalty.
They're only allowed to do that if they fix that crap we're talking about right now, when you're tossed into a severely losing battle and end up with a 0.2 KD.

That was the game failing, not me, why the fuck should that go on my record with absolutely ZERO way of removing it? I mean, we hate dashboarding because it disconnects the match and it cheapens KD as a concept, but so does shit like that!

(I don't bother dashboarding myself, I'm too lazy and it takes too long, but I get why they do it. Or, well, people who dashboard simply because they were off their game just suck.)

Map pack is up... I see it, again, is stamped with a language marker. Are we really going through that garbage again?

(Most of GAF probably didn't notice, but euros had huge pains in the ass with the last map pack. They're language-marking the downloads, for whatever reason, and, for example, "spanish-marked" countries aren't allowed to download "english-marked" content. But they totally fucked that up because they forgot that my country, for example, doesn't get localized DLC and should be allowed to download english DLC. Only ever seen Black Ops do this, but they blame MS... Annoying part is that I can't find out if it's going to do this again without adding points!)

Are people interested in playing Zombies at some point? I really want to 100% this game but I've not really played Zombies much this time round.

Map pack is up... I see it, again, is stamped with a language marker. Are we really going through that garbage again?

(Most of GAF probably didn't notice, but euros had huge pains in the ass with the last map pack. They're language-marking the downloads, for whatever reason, and, for example, "spanish-marked" countries aren't allowed to download "english-marked" content. But they totally fucked that up because they forgot that my country, for example, doesn't get localized DLC and should be allowed to download english DLC. Only ever seen Black Ops do this, but they blame MS... Annoying part is that I can't find out if it's going to do this again without adding points!)

I'll bet you that it's because of the Zombie content. Different countries have different restrictions with regards to censorship, and they're forced to comply. Just a guess, but it makes sense.

Top Bottom