• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

Stantron said:
Most of my rage stems from the goddamn lag. Yesterday I went into the corner of the sauna room on hotel and turned around with my gun facing the entrance I came in to ambush a guy I knew was following me. I fire on him as soon as he enters, yet he's able to run through all those bullets and stab me. SMH Knifing is so fucking broken. Other bullshit things that happen: An enemy and I run past each other, he swipes his knife after we pass with no one on his screen, I die behind his back. And sometimes it seems a bit like commando from MW2; a guy lunges forward and stabs open air which registers as a kill even though I was at least two feet away. How the fuck are you supposed to responds to shit like this? >:[

Keeps happening to me to. Like people can literally teleport knife me. I think the vast majority of my deaths are from explosions (nades/ claymores/ Rc cars etc) and knives lol. Which is pretty ridiculous.

At least its not as bad as MW2 though. :p

Kermit The Dog said:
I've been there man. You're in good company here. :lol

Hugs all round.

Haha thanks, I jumped back on and after a shaky start I picked it up again, but when the game decides to throw you into teams that clearly suck against people with relatively cheap tactics the game really does seem like its asking to be thrown out the window. :p

B-Dex

Play N Trade is having a big Blops tournament this weekend on the 21st. Top 4 players get to go to E3 and play in the finals!

Immerz is sponsoring so you can win a KOR-FX as well as a 42" 3D TV and $1000 to spend at your local store!

Pimpin' this for my store in South Surrey (Near Vancouver BC) So come sign up!

CyReN

With both games out for some time now. Which is the better mp game? I'm thinking about picking up one of them soon again. Yes I've played both but I'm more of a Halo guy.

MW2 or Black Ops.

CyReN said:
With both games out for some time now. Which is the better mp game? I'm thinking about picking up one of them soon again. Yes I've played both but I'm more of a Halo guy.

MW2 or Black Ops.
Black Ops definitely, MW2 has too much frustrations to be better:

-Noob tubing rocket assholes with danger close and one man army are gone in BO.
-No terrible perk like commando that greatly increases the melee range from MW2.
-No nuke killstreak to end the game for no reason.
-No stacking killstreaks so people going on a harrier, chopper gunner rampage won't happen often.

There's much more, BO isn't that much of an advancement in the series, moreso fixing the fuck up MW2 was, while keeping the good MW2 added (like host migration)

CyReN said:

MW2 or Black Ops.

Since you posted in MW2's thread as well, I'll post the same reply I have there:

Its hard to say which is better.

MW2 just feels a lot better and has a lot more incentive to try different classes, weapons, etc(earning emblems and titles), but you also have all of the BS stuff like danger close, quickscoping 360 snipers, commando lungers/knife runners, and OMA noobtubers.

Black Ops on the other hand is a lot more balanced imo. Other than the AK74 I dont feel really any other gun is overpowered compared to anything else. On the other hand, Black Ops can get boring imo since there isn't much incentive to try other things since you can pretty much buy any title/emblem you want rather than earning stuff. Not to mention for people who like to prestige(like myself) the 50 levels go by way too fast and by the time you get some of the Pro perks like ghost pro, you end up wanting to prestige.

If only MW2 was as balanced as black ops. :(

All in all, I had a lot more fun with MW2 despite it making me rage a lot more than BO ever does.

jlevel13

CyReN said:
With both games out for some time now. Which is the better mp game?

MW2 or Black Ops.

I don't feel like there's really a clear cut winner - 90%+ of both games are exactly the same. The Black Ops tweaks make the game slightly more straight-forward and less crazy (but still more crazy and over the top than MW1, for example). Some people will prefer the little more over the top experience, some people will prefer the slightly more toned down one. Flip a coin.

jlevel13 said:
I don't feel like there's really a clear cut winner - 90%+ of both games are exactly the same. The Black Ops tweaks make the game slightly more straight-forward and less crazy (but still more crazy and over the top than MW1, for example). Some people will prefer the little more over the top experience, some people will prefer the slightly more toned down one. Flip a coin.

This. MW2 has the potential to be more exciting, but at the cost of 90% of your matches giving you bullshit lol.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Haha no. I just had all the various hats stacked.

Even when I had default the emblem it reset my background to default.

upJTboogie said:
-No terrible perk like commando that greatly increases the melee range from MW2.

Oh please. With Black Ops' horrendous netcode, EVERYONE might as well have Commando now. As always, it's one step forward, two steps backwards with Treyarch.

I swear Jack just lurks in this thread until someone says anything slightly negative about MW2, at which point he pounces with his bland and tiring anti-Treyarch vitriol.

MW2 had a great core, but some gamebreaking idiotic design decisions. Black Ops is a solid, yet less exciting game - less likely to make you frustrated, but will never take you as high as MW2 could take you. And both suffer at times from frustrating lag and hit detection issues at times; Black Ops suffers a bit more because of the Theater mode overhead (Blops records from the host's perspective - the Halo method of each player recording their own imperfect version of the truth seems to put less strain on the host, and I hope future CoD titles learn from this).

Jack Scofield said:
Oh please. With Black Ops' horrendous netcode, EVERYONE might as well have Commando now. As always, it's one step forward, two steps backwards with Treyarch.
I have yet to see any knifing kills in Black Ops come close to the ridiculousness of commando from MW2. Good luck for me I guess.

MrDaravon

Anyone having issues getting online with the 360 version right now? Me and two friends could only get into a lobby once, getting nonstop freezing and black screens while just sitting in our own lobby or even just trying to pull up playlists which is crazy.

Jack Scofield said:

:lol You're a clown. The first week knifing in BO was ridiculous, because everyone seemed to have Commando. Then they patched it. Now, 9/10 times it works normally and accurately.

Do you even play this game anymore?

Kermit The Dog said:
:lol You're a clown. The first week knifing in BO was ridiculous, because everyone seemed to have Commando. Then they patched it. Now, 9/10 times it works normally and accurately.

Sadly I still think knifing doesnt work properly, the lunge can still be way too far in my opinion.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Personally messaged each individual on the other team to let them know they might as well uninstall the game and never play it again:

blackopsmp2011-05-2123of16.jpg

Kermit The Dog said:

Who are you to ask that? You sold your game.

Stallion Free said:
Personally messaged each individual on the other team to let them know they might as well uninstall the game and never play it again:

blackopsmp2011-05-2123of16.jpg
What? At 25-5? That's weak. I've had games of Demo where we've had three guys including myself go 100+ and there were two guys on the enemy team with over 100 deaths. That's when you tell someone to quit. One guy in a particular game on Firing Range went 0-83. Let that soak in a bit.

Is barely above double. Nothing amazing to be honest.

Mikey Jr.

RJNavarrete said:
What? At 25-5? That's weak. I've had games of Demo where we've had three guys including myself go 100+ and there were two guys on the enemy team with over 100 deaths. That's when you tell someone to quit. One guy in a particular game on Firing Range went 0-83. Let that soak in a bit.

lol at that guy thinking 25-5 is amazing.

mbmonk

Stallion Free said:

Lol. You are sad sad individual if your really did that.

Congrats on the good game though.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
*woosh*

Lol you guys just got trolled. I like how you all come out of the wood work though having read almost none of the last how many pages? And then all completely miss the joke.

kuYuri

RJNavarrete said:

He's also playing TDM, so 25-5 with 17 players is good. There's no way in hell you're getting 100+ kills unless you're playing a gametype like Demo or Dom.

Strider2K99 said:
He's also playing TDM, so 25-5 with 17 players is good. There's no way in hell you're getting 100+ kills unless you're playing a gametype like Demo or Dom.
Lol 25-5 is respectable in reg TDM. In GW that's 1/4 of your teams kills. Again nothing amazing. Although now he admitted to trolling so whatever.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
TacticalFox88 said:
How does Treyarch make a map as godly as Firing Range and create shit like Havana.
What is wrong with Havana?

Bad (consistent) spawning makes it awesome.

mbmonk

Stallion Free said:
*woosh*

Lol you guys just got trolled. I like how you all come out of the wood work though having read almost none of the last how many pages? And then all completely miss the joke.

bill+murray+you+suck.jpg

... DAMN IT! :)

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
RJNavarrete said:
Lol 25-5 is respectable in reg TDM. In GW that's 1/4 of your teams kills. Again nothing amazing. Although now he admitted to trolling so whatever.
That's hardcore TDM. I don't roll in easy mode normal mode lol. I mean your health completely recharges negating any need for skill in normal mode.

cuevas said:
Who are you to ask that? You sold your game.

No I didn't. I said I put it up for sale. There's a key difference there.

How did you manage to die 5 times against that team? Watch some of my videos on how to be awesome please.

The key for ragemail is the ability to crowbar as many insults possible inside the message centre's character limit, and completing this formidable task multiple times in the 60 seconds between games. I've got that shit down to an art-form!

cameltoe

c2c49635.jpg

I sent messages to every one in this game asking them to please not friend request me because of my awesomeness, but request me if you liked me as a person...

I got zero requests *shrugs*

cameltoe

decided to give HCTDM another shot.....

d4ded13b.jpg

pretty good but man EVERYONE camps hard! Im the only one running around...

c0472d25.jpg

Its a struggle to get to the 7500 limit because most of the time you are just looking for people to kill....so time usually runs out.

Effect

Really enjoyed playing Black Ops on the Wii but I really want to try the PC version finally. Mainly as a graphics issue and to experience the things I've missed out on. Especailly since I'm getting a bit tired of Bad Company 2. Have things progressed well as far as patches go.?

I know it has dedicated servers I believe but how is that handled? Pretty much the login goes through Treyarch/Activision the way the the login for Bad Company 2 goes through EA? Does this help cut down on the hackers? Is there any software on most servers to check for hacking and does autobans the there are on BC2 servers?

Thanks

Nabs

It's a Steamworks game, so it uses VAC for cheat protection. You don't need a separate account for the game.

If your computer can handle it, it is definitely the version you should be playing.

aku:jiki

Stallion Free said:
That's hardcore TDM. I don't roll in easy mode normal mode lol. I mean your health completely recharges negating any need for skill in normal mode.
You better still be trolling. And you scored so many points with that Kermit joke too!

CyReN said:

MW2 or Black Ops.
The real answer to this question lies in your playstyle. If you slowly move from cover to cover and aim your gun like all the time, you'll love Black Ops to death because that playstyle is all the netcode can handle and you will rarely get tubed out of your camping spot.

If you run around and get all your kills on the move, often in completely reactionary situations, you absolutely have to go with MW2 if you value your sanity.

aku:jiki said:
You better still be trolling. And you scored so many points with that Kermit joke too!

The real answer to this question lies in your playstyle. If you slowly move from cover to cover and aim your gun like all the time, you'll love Black Ops to death because that playstyle is all the netcode can handle and you will rarely get tubed out of your camping spot.

If you run around and get all your kills on the move, often in completely reactionary situations, you absolutely have to go with MW2 if you value your sanity.

To be fair, take all this with a grain of salt. I mean no disrespect, but Aku is an average player and I don't agree with his summation here.

I'm constantly on the move and manage to do very well 8 times out of every 10 games. Aspects such as map dictation, map flow, spawn knowledge, map awareness and accurate enemy movement prediction will help your circumnavigate most issues presented by occasional buggy netcode. If you can predict when, how and where an enemy will come from, you'll consistently do well regardless of erroneous variables.

I find MW2 much more difficult for genuine runnner gunners due to the uneven slant that favours high-powered killstreaks and fruity map design. MW2 is far too exploitable to cater for runners.

aku:jiki said:

I dont want to get into this whole pissing contest, but I generally pull a pretty good K/D and tend to hover at around 500ish for the spm leaderboards in TDM and you cant really do that without running and gunning. I honestly think that Black Ops is a dream come true for runners simply because theres less bullshit to deal with. MW2's maps had more camping spots, heartbeat sensors didnt help matters much and the knifing/ tubing/ shotgunning were all pretty cheap deaths. MW2 made me question my sanity multiple times. :p

aku:jiki

Have any of you actually played MW2 this year, though? The kid isn't asking what it was like when you last played it like a year ago, he's asking what it is now!

Nobody uses a heartbeat anymore, there's usually only one tuber per match and he's a terrified noob sitting in a corner somewhere and tac-knifers are very rare. The big annoyance now is Sleight of Hand Pro, and they're pretty terrible most of the time too.

bobs99 said:
the knifing/ tubing/ shotgunning
Thing is, though... Nobody uses those playstyles not because they're not valid, design-wise, but because the netcode really can't handle anything other than an assault rifle playstyle.

I mean, does anyone realize that you very much can make a tac-knife kit in Black Ops? And that while the lunge isn't as absurd as Commando, you can still fly pretty far with that lunged double-stab the ballistic knife has? Nobody does it because the fucking knife misses all the time! Same goes for shotgunning - you can actually have a more efficient shotgun class in BO than in MW2, because you can have Ghost, Sleight of Hand and Marathon without needing to sacrifice any part of the playstyle. Again, the reason nobody does it is because you get so many god damn hitmarkers on what should be clean hits.

Same goes for tubing and sniping. You can tube a guy straight in the face and he just runs off, without Flak Jacket, and you can quickscope a guy who's sitting dead still, from behind, and not even get a damage marker.

That's a pretty hollow victory for Black Ops, as far as I'm concerned.

Top Bottom