• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

kuYuri

aku:jiki said:
Have any of you actually played MW2 this year, though? The kid isn't asking what it was like when you last played it like a year ago, he's asking what it is now!

Nobody uses a heartbeat anymore, there's usually only one tuber per match and he's a terrified noob sitting in a corner somewhere and tac-knifers are very rare. The big annoyance now is Sleight of Hand Pro, and they're pretty terrible most of the time too.

I do, and you still see all the ones you just mentioned.

Have any of you actually played MW2 this year, though? The kid isn't asking what it was like when you last played it like a year ago, he's asking what it is now!

Nobody uses a heartbeat anymore, there's usually only one tuber per match and he's a terrified noob sitting in a corner somewhere and tac-knifers are very rare. The big annoyance now is Sleight of Hand Pro, and they're pretty terrible most of the time too.

Thing is, though... Nobody uses those playstyles not because they're not valid, design-wise, but because the netcode really can't handle anything other than an assault rifle playstyle.

I mean, does anyone realize that you very much can make a tac-knife kit in Black Ops? And that while the lunge isn't as absurd as Commando, you can still fly pretty far with that lunged double-stab the ballistic knife has? Nobody does it because the fucking knife misses all the time! Same goes for shotgunning - you can actually have a more efficient shotgun class in BO than in MW2, because you can have Ghost, Sleight of Hand and Marathon without needing to sacrifice any part of the playstyle. Again, the reason nobody does it is because you get so many god damn hitmarkers on what should be clean hits.

Same goes for tubing and sniping. You can tube a guy straight in the face and he just runs off, without Flak Jacket, and you can quickscope a guy who's sitting dead still, from behind, and not even get a damage marker.

That's a pretty hollow victory for Black Ops, as far as I'm concerned.

I havent touched the game for a long time I just dont believe all the bullshit tactics have died down. On the lag front I think its also different that im from the UK, MW2 can feel as laggy as Black Ops. Black Ops gives me a run of good games one weekend, and then the next weekend feels awful, I hate how inconsistant it can get.

Dont get me wrong, the ridiculous knife lunge still annoys the hell out of me, but the tubing and shotgunning have been toned down loads. Maybe because you cant pick shotties as secondaries anymore.

Kermit The Dog said:
To be fair, take all this with a grain of salt. I mean no disrespect, but Aku is an average player and I don't agree with his summation here.

I'm constantly on the move and manage to do very well 8 times out of every 10 games. Aspects such as map dictation, map flow, spawn knowledge, map awareness and accurate enemy movement prediction will help your circumnavigate most issues presented by occasional buggy netcode. If you can predict when, how and where an enemy will come from, you'll consistently do well regardless of erroneous variables.

I find MW2 much more difficult for genuine runnner gunners due to the uneven slant that favours high-powered killstreaks and fruity map design. MW2 is far too exploitable to cater for runners.

You making fun of others skill is laughable. You are a little camper who thinks he run and guns when he really has no idea what he is talking about. Go hide in a corner for your chopper gunner.

cuevas said:
You making fun of others skill is laughable. You are a little camper who thinks he run and guns when he really has no idea what he is talking about. Go hide in a corner for your chopper gunner.

And you're becoming even more desperate in your attempts to discredit me. :lol My games speak for themselves. Go watch them. I am almost constantly on the move, and I manage to stay alive based purely on good game-sense. I have nothing to hide, and I encourage you and any more BO birthers to add me and watch my games if you think I'm a camper.

GT: Mogg0

I know you're mad for whichever reason, but it would be nice if you had some evidence of your outlandish claims once in a while.

I think you're brushing over the issues too quickly, because every time I've dabbled in MW2 in recent months, all these issues have popped up, and more. Boosters, tac knifers and tubers littered each and every game of TDM I played.

I mean, does anyone realize that you very much can make a tac-knife kit in Black Ops? And that while the lunge isn't as absurd as Commando, you can still fly pretty far with that lunged double-stab the ballistic knife has? Nobody does it because the fucking knife misses all the time!

I agree with you here. I've been in many situations where I should have died, but survived because a spot-on ballistic knife inexplicably missed me. Still, TAC-knifers are still brutally efficient in the right hands and the right maps, but I think it's pretty balanced, like most aspects of BO.

Hit detection in general is balls though. WaW had superior hit detection.

Kermit The Dog said:
And you're becoming even more desperate in your attempts to discredit me. :lol My games speak for themselves. Go watch them. I am almost constantly on the move, and I manage to stay alive based purely on good game-sense. I have nothing to hide, and I encourage you and any more BO birthers to add me and watch my games if you think I'm a camper.

I've already watched your replays which you yourself said "defined your gamestyle" and it was you sitting in the house at C in Villa the whole game killing the same guy trying to kill you over and over again. Why would I watch more? I don't want to fall asleep yet.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
cuevas said:
I've already watched your replays which you yourself said "defined your gamestyle" and it was you sitting in the house at C in Villa the whole game killing the same guy trying to kill you over and over again. Why would I watch more? I don't want to fall asleep yet.
I wish he would upload that to Youtube and narrate it in a Kermit voice imitation. Admit it, it would be fucking awesome.

cuevas said:

Utterly ridiculous. That was ONE game (which I happened to play rather well) and it was in the second week of BO's release window. My playstyle has evolved since then, as most people's would have. If you're truly, truly going to continue to define me based on one game (which I raped at and kept moving, so I dunno WTF you're on about), you're laughably idiotic.

Like I said, evidence please. Real evidence. If not, or you're too lazy, just can it. It makes you look a fool.

I wish he would upload that to Youtube and narrate it in a Kermit voice imitation. Admit it, it would be fucking awesome.

Good idea. I'll get on it.

Kermit The Dog said:
Utterly ridiculous. That was ONE game (which I happened to play rather well) and it was in the second week of BO's release window. My playstyle has evolved since then, as most people's would have. If you're truly, truly going to continue to define me based on one game (which I raped at and kept moving, so I dunno WTF you're on about), you're laughably idiotic.

Like I said, evidence please. Real evidence. If not, or you're too lazy, just can it. It makes you look a fool.

My evidence is: my replays, that's run and gunning. You look like a coward the way you play.

cuevas said:
My evidence is: my replays, that's run and gunning. You look like a coward the way you play.

:lol Why do I threaten you so much? Is it because I kept killing you on that red bar connection I had? Or because I exposed you as an average player once you're separated from your party? Is it because I'm a good player and you are insecure in the face of competition?

I won't be responding to your loony claims anymore. I genuinely believe you have a screw loose. Good day to you, sir.

Kermit The Dog said:
:lol Why do I threaten you so much? Is it because I kept killing you on that red bar connection I had? Or because I exposed you as an average player once you're separated from your party? Is it because I'm a good player and you are insecure in the face of competition?

I won't be responding to your loony claims anymore. I genuinely believe you have a screw loose. Good day to you, sir.

Do you have these responses typed up already? Your replys almost never correlate to what you are quoting.

Just had another set of blinders, one on Convoy (23 - 1) and the other on Discovery (30 - 5). The Discovery match involved an epic comeback where at one point we were 1500 to 3100 down. Following a bad start, the highlights were getting a successful booby-trap kill, 9 dog kills, causing two ragequits and managing to blow up an enemy RCXD with my CG. :lol This game is balls to the wall when it works.

maomaoIYP

Thing is, though... Nobody uses those playstyles not because they're not valid, design-wise, but because the netcode really can't handle anything other than an assault rifle playstyle.

I mean, does anyone realize that you very much can make a tac-knife kit in Black Ops? And that while the lunge isn't as absurd as Commando, you can still fly pretty far with that lunged double-stab the ballistic knife has? Nobody does it because the fucking knife misses all the time! Same goes for shotgunning - you can actually have a more efficient shotgun class in BO than in MW2, because you can have Ghost, Sleight of Hand and Marathon without needing to sacrifice any part of the playstyle. Again, the reason nobody does it is because you get so many god damn hitmarkers on what should be clean hits.

Same goes for tubing and sniping. You can tube a guy straight in the face and he just runs off, without Flak Jacket, and you can quickscope a guy who's sitting dead still, from behind, and not even get a damage marker.

That's a pretty hollow victory for Black Ops, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm back to playing MW2 daily now and I still quite a bit of people with HBS and some OMA tubers. Luckily OMA tubers seem to quit pretty quickly regardless of how well they are doing. Saw a single MLC tact knifer in about a week's worth of play though. Crap loads of quick scopers, but most of them aren't particularly good.

Combine all these with the much smaller number of people playing, I still enjoy it way more than I ever did with Blops.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
divisionbyzorro said:
And you guys wonder why everybody unsubscribed from this thread?

Hell, the only reason I'm still subscribed is because I started it.
What's not to enjoy about measuring contests?

divisionbyzorro said:

Kudos for starting this thread. But like most others, I'm outta here until things tone down.

LwFYJ.jpg

Nabs

PC Update:

Updates to Call of Duty: Black Ops have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The major changes include:

Call of Duty: Black Ops

Added support for mods in preparation for the upcoming tools release.
Addressed various MP & Zombie exploits.
Improved memory utilization in MP.
Improved DLC filter in server browser – you can now hide any servers running content you do not own.
Corrected issue which sometimes required repurchase of emblems or clan tags on weapons.
Address some cases in which player could not receive Zombie invites.
Replaced RPG with Grim Reaper in Gun Game Wager Match.
Fine-tuned napalm and bombing-run damage indoors.
Prevented rare invulnerability issue.
Demolition bombs can no longer explode and be defused at the same time.
Spy plane now activates in One in the Chamber in all cases.
The “Sprint Kills” challenge for Steady Aim perk now rewards the player with the correct number of kills.
Addressed a rare issue where a hacked camera spike would not function properly if the hacker also had a camera spike that was destroyed.
Recording a clip with the speed mode for 2 cameras set to .1 will no longer increase in speed when switching perspectives back and forth.
Improvements to Zipline functionality when viewed in Theater mode.
Settings from custom games are all cleared and no longer carry over from one custom match to another.
Nova gas will now affect players that are standing over their tactical insertion.
Hardcore players who kill another teammate in Second Chance now lose the proper amount of points.
Calling in a Chopper Gunner immediately after getting shot down in a Gunship will no longer end the Chopper Gunner run prematurely.

Xclash said:
I just wanted to let the PC Black Ops Community that there is a server for you. Currently I'm still getting the hang of being a Admin. It's named # NeoGAF and I play with a few PC players that frequent here. You can add me at http://steamcommunity.com/id/Xclash

If you guys play on the PC, you should probably listen to this. Let him know what kind of game type your prefer. You never know, he may just listen to you. 12-18 players.

hamchan

Wow they are actually going to deliver on the mod tools huh. I thought they were just gonna sweep it under the rug, so good on them.

Biff

Canada-GAF:

FYI, EB Games/Gamespot has PS3 Blops on their 'most wanted' list until this Saturday. I'm trading it in tomorrow straight up for LA Noire with a powertrade ($40 most wanted + 50% bonus).

I am finally free of this trash game. I hope my game gets resold and Treyarch loses a sale because of me.

Stantron

Anyone else watch or subscribe to any interesting CoD vids on youtube? Pass along the more obscure stuff (i.e. no machinima type stuff). I'm subscribed to this guy. He puts theater mode to good use with some slick editing. Recently, he's been doing a "Lessons in Sniping" series. Basic stuff but fun to watch. Check it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IJpWw2x4qs

divisionbyzorro said:

Sorry man :\ But in reality other than the occasional bump to boast there hasn't been much activity for a few months.

cuevas said:
Sorry man :\ But in reality other than the occasional bump to boast there hasn't been much activity for a few months.

You only post to snipe or take the piss, maybe leave a snarky one-sentence post, but never to actually contribute to the thread. I can't remember the last time you posted to further a discussion. It would be months, at least. While I may be combative, at least I attempt to initiate discussion at times. I propose you and I call a ceasefire, admit we have our differences, and move on for the good of the thread. You in?

Anyway, now that we basically now the rundown of exactly what direction MW3 will take, where do you think that leaves COD9, and to a lesser extent, Treyarch? Does anyone think Activision have the fortitude to smell the roses and try something different for Treyarch's next
turn?

Considering we'll be on the brink of new consoles and post Gears/Battlefield 3/MW3, surely it's time to shake things up a bit?

MarkMclovin said:
I've added you. Are you in EU?

Oh shit, I thought you were a random so I ignored the request. I'll add you next time I'm on. I'm in Australia, so I don't know how viable playing with you would be. Worth a shot though!

hamchan

Kermit The Dog said:
You only post to snipe or take the piss, maybe leave a snarky one-sentence post, but never to actually contribute to the thread. I can't remember the last time you posted to further a discussion. It would be months, at least. While I may be combative, at least I attempt to initiate discussion at times. I propose you and I call a ceasefire, admit we have our differences, and move on for the good of the thread. You in?

Anyway, now that we basically now the rundown of exactly what direction MW3 will take, where do you think that leaves COD9, and to a lesser extent, Treyarch? Does anyone think Activision have the fortitude to smell the roses and try something different for Treyarch's next
turn?

Considering we'll be on the brink of new consoles and post Gears/Battlefield 3/MW3, surely it's time to shake things up a bit?

I only see Activision shaking things up when sales start declining. Even with the new consoles they might not change the standard formula much since people will be distracted by the better graphics and whatever motion control/gimmick they might use.

kuYuri

I think Treyarch will make Black Ops 2, direct sequel to the story from the first game. There's a ton of story that I don't think most people realize that isn't explored in the main campaign . Beyond that, I have no clue what they do or add to multiplayer.

Well, I've basically decided I will never be any good on Stockpile. Don't know what it is about that map, but I just can't manage to ever get a good flow going. I guess it doesn't help, either, that most matches I've had in it are just frustrating campfests by the other team. :(

Strider2K99 said:
I think Treyarch will make Black Ops 2, direct sequel to the story from the first game. There's a ton of story that I don't think most people realize that isn't explored in the main campaign . Beyond that, I have no clue what they do or add to multiplayer.

Treyarch probably doesn't know what they're going to add, either. They won't know until they see what IW adds to MW3, then they'll copy the new features wholesale to Black Ops 2.

Because believe me, if MW2 didn't have titles, emblems, pro perks, etc., then neither would have Black Ops.

KoreanBarbecue said:
Well, I've basically decided I will never be any good on Stockpile. Don't know what it is about that map, but I just can't manage to ever get a good flow going. I guess it doesn't help, either, that most matches I've had in it are just frustrating campfests by the other team. :(

I'm the same with Zoo. I just can't get a handle on it. Frustrating as hell. Stockpile is a map which makes it very difficult to turn the tide against the opposing team once they're ahead. I think it has something to do with that campy centre building and easily defensible entry points.

Anyway, get a load of this ragequit:

Care Package Hilarity

:lol

aku:jiki

Jack Scofield said:
Treyarch probably doesn't know what they're going to add, either. They won't know until they see what IW adds to MW3, then they'll copy the new features wholesale to Black Ops 2.

Because believe me, if MW2 didn't have titles, emblems, pro perks, etc., then neither would have Black Ops.
Titles and emblems? That's all you got for your troll?

Anyway, I think they pretty much have to do Black Ops 2. I think they're still not allowed to do modern warfare stuff, nobody wants to see WW2 anymore, Vietnam games never sold that well to begin with (so Activision won't greenlight it) and it's not like they're going to make a game based on a conflict the US wasn't a part of (or thinks it won).

It's that or they go with Future Warfare and...yeah. Jumping the shark right there.

Disguises

Suppose I'll post my situation here to see if anyone knows of a solution!

So, I have the UK version of the game and I live in Germany. I'm trying to buy the [EN] DLC, however, each time I attempt a download, it says it is not accessible in my region.

I know that the DLC is somewhat region locked - as in, if you have the German version, you need to download the German map packs. If you have the UK version, you download the EN map packs.

I've tried the Xbox Live Marketplace website and was greeted with the same issue.

Does anybody know of a solution to this? (other than downloading it when I'm next in the UK). Also, do other games lock DLC by region?

EDIT: Reading up about this issue, it seems like you can only download DLC from the region your Live account is from. Sigh, I hate DLC.

Strider2K99 said:

Never bothered to notice tbh. At this point, I buy the games for the multiplayer, I treat the campaign a just a little bonus now

anyway, running and gunning in this game is brutal. Imma switch up my approach a little because the way I'm playing is turning the game into more of a chore than anything, mostly because of how much lag plays into close encounters.

So I bought Wolfenstein to see if Raven has what it takes to do MW3 multiplayer and I think they might! The game's a horribly laggy mess now, but I'm hoping that's because the community consists of like...50 players online at a time. Other than that, it's a damn fine CoD ripoff.

The only concern I have is that Raven love this archaic leveling shit where a high level player will totally stomp newbies no matter what, not because he's actually good but because he has 50 health and damage upgrades. I ran into a dude that would take 4-5 bolt-action headshots before he went down, what the fuck is that? Better not drag that bullshit into CoD!

Disguises said:
EDIT: Reading up about this issue, it seems like you can only download DLC from the region your Live account is from. Sigh, I hate DLC.
That's it, the only solution is to create a german account and buy it with german points. It's pretty lame. :/

kuYuri

So I bought Wolfenstein to see if Raven has what it takes to do MW3 multiplayer and I think they might! The game's a horribly laggy mess now, but I'm hoping that's because the community consists of like...50 players online at a time. Other than that, it's a damn fine CoD ripoff.

The only concern I have is that Raven love this archaic leveling shit where a high level player will totally stomp newbies no matter what, not because he's actually good but because he has 50 health and damage upgrades. I ran into a dude that would take 4-5 bolt-action headshots before he went down, what the fuck is that? Better not drag that bullshit into CoD!

Actually, I believe Raven only did the campaign for the game, I believe it was Endrant Studios that worked on the multiplayer.

Their most recent mp shooter was Singularity.

Strider2K99 said:
Actually, I believe Raven only did the campaign for the game, I believe it was Endrant Studios that worked on the multiplayer.

Their most recent mp shooter was Singularity.
Really? Aw, should've googled harder I guess.

Oh well, it was cheap and it's pretty fun!

RS4-

Haven't bothered playing Ops in months, logged into Steam and noticed that it was grabbing a patch and mentioned that there are mod tools.

I hope that means custom maps.

Played some CoD for the first time in months today. I started with Modern Warfare 2 - that was an infuriating experience. I felt like I was losing every single firefight; bullets were going right through people, my shotgun just wouldn't go off in time, etc. Essentially every complaint that people love to whine about with Black Ops was happening to me in MW2.

So I went to Black Ops, and everything was buttery smooth. I was certainly rusty from being gone for so long, but the game felt just like it was supposed to. At the very least, my shots were all actually hitting and killing my enemies! It all felt very ironic; Black Ops has this reputation for being laggy, yet I couldn't get my shots to connect in MW2 today while Blops was basically perfect.

LATE EDIT: Also, this happened:

Cool Guys Don't Look At Explosions

Yes, I failed to stop the flag cap, but we did end up winning the match, so it's all good. :)

divisionbyzorro said:
Played some CoD for the first time in months today. I started with Modern Warfare 2 - that was an infuriating experience. I felt like I was losing every single firefight; bullets were going right through people, my shotgun just wouldn't go off in time, etc. Essentially every complaint that people love to whine about with Black Ops was happening to me in MW2.

So I went to Black Ops, and everything was buttery smooth. I was certainly rusty from being gone for so long, but the game felt just like it was supposed to. At the very least, my shots were all actually hitting and killing my enemies! It all felt very ironic; Black Ops has this reputation for being laggy, yet I couldn't get my shots to connect in MW2 today while Blops was basically perfect.

Irony indeed. The last few days Ive had a consistently shitty bout of rubbish connections and infuriating lag. Maybe they re-arranged some cords and sorted you guys out? Haven't managed a good, solid Aussie connection in a few sessions. : (

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Had a weird game of Headquarters last night.
Was going quite well up until a host change where my score was reset to 0 and I was on the other team.

Anyone ever had that happen before?

FerranMG

I've been playing Blops again for the last few days, giving it a second youth. This is the CoD I've enjoyed the most since CoD4, it fits perfectly my play style.

I'm thinking about getting one of the two map packs. Any opinions on which one should I get?

BTW, I've been having some problems this weekend. The game wouldn't let me join any Team Deathmatch lobby. :/

Slizz

FerranMG said:
I've been playing Blops again for the last few days, giving it a second youth. This is the CoD I've enjoyed the most since CoD4, it fits perfectly my play style.

I'm thinking about getting one of the two map packs. Any opinions on which one should I get?

BTW, I've been having some problems this weekend. The game wouldn't let me join any Team Deathmatch lobby. :/

Get Escalation. I liked all the maps in that pack and only liked one in the other.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
So last night on the GAF server a couple of us PC Blops regulars hopped on and since there were only 4 of us we decided to mess around in free-for-all normal mode in the smaller maps. And surprisingly, it was fun as hell. The server filled up within a match or two and we all had a blast.

Seriously fun stuff.

I didn't think just a slight change in my playstyle could make a difference, but I recently decided to walk around every corner instead of running, and it makes a HUGE difference. I knew you suffered greater accuracy and ads penalties while running, but i didn't know how severe the penalties are until I switched up a bit. The accuracy of my shots while walking is so much better, and now I feel unbeatable, as I type this I'm top 25 in both domination and team death match.

divisionbyzorro said:

LATE EDIT: Also, this happened:

Cool Guys Don't Look At Explosions

Yes, I failed to stop the flag cap, but we did end up winning the match, so it's all good. :)

Indeed, I've been going back and forth between BO and MW2 lately. And my statements from previous pages still ring true, at least for me. BO is way more balanced and less frustrating, but its not as fun as MW2 is at its highs. If only MW2 had the same balance as BO, it would be no contest for me. Either way, MW2 frustrated me to hell the other day and made me not want to play it for awhile, so I've been playing BO more.

bigf00t

Stallion Free said:
So last night on the GAF server a couple of us PC Blops regulars hopped on and since there were only 4 of us we decided to mess around in free-for-all normal mode in the smaller maps. And surprisingly, it was fun as hell. The server filled up within a match or two and we all had a blast.

Seriously fun stuff.

Sounds fun.
I haven't been following this thread too closely so I must have missed the mention of a GAF server. What's the name/ip? I'd love to join PC GAF for some Black Ops...

Top Bottom