• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

divisionbyzorro said:
Sandy Ravage has mastered Modern Warfare 2, but his skills didn't transfer to Black Ops - which is why he doesn't play it.

He has posted four or five Black Ops matches and he destroys just the same in all of them.

He doesn't play it because he thinks it's totally dull and doesn't make for entertaining gameplay.

Mister Wilhelm said:
He has posted four or five Black Ops matches and he destroys just the same in all of them.

He doesn't play it because he thinks it's totally dull and doesn't make for entertaining gameplay.

Anyone can cherry pick four or five matches where they absolutely destroy. From what I understood, he's not able to be nearly as consistent. His livestreams in MW2 are epic; truly a thing of beauty to watch. But I haven't seen any indication that he's that consistent at Black Ops.

aku:jiki said:
So this was a fun match!

5793277510_99a2dcfc07_z.jpg

FAL ACOG, Sentry/Rolling Thunder/Dogs setup.

So you're going to stick with your analysis that blindly spraying a room from which he has never been shot was a smarter move than checking the area he's been killed from literally a dozen times? Somehow, Commando existing makes the trailer spray a smart move in your head and that dumbass line of thought is why this is the closest to a "concrete rebuttal" you'll get.

That wasn't my analysis, it was yours. I didn't even comment on the trailer spray at all initially, I just said overall your analysis was wrong. Your general tone was defence of MW2 and you won't win see much support around here for defending IW's turd. That video went for 11 minutes and if I were to comment on every aspect of the video in the initial video, I'd still be typing. I personally wouldn't have sprayed the trailer, but then again I personally wouldn't subject myself to MW2 in any form.

You have the unenviable ability of creating an argument, extrapolating a point from your own fantasy, assigning it to me as though I said it, then chastising me for the point I never even made. Even then, you still can't make it convincing. I'm not sure if this is a newfangled rebuttal technique, but I think it needs some fine-tuning.

hamchan said:
Wow I got absolutely murdered in Zoo. I can't figure out the flow of the map at all.

Take it slow at first. Camp your arse off until you learn the chokepoints and hotzones. One of the easiest areas to defend is the upstairs monorail station, with the stairs at one end and the thin track snaking out to the right. It enables you to see the centrepoint of the map where you will DEFINITELY see action, and you can easily defend the stairs to your left and the wide-open area below.

Make sure you know how to use the hidden underground tunnel to your advantage. I did that for awhile, and it helps you get a sense of the map.

To be honest though, it's not one of Treyarch's finest efforts. Like you said, it lacks flow and the two sides of the map are too open and dangerous to use as as realistic thoroughfares. Critically, the layout of the map is way too favourable to the many eagles-nest positions in the map.

Do wall-hacks exist in this game?

Was playing Search and spectacting this one bloke who always seemed to know where blokes were behind walls. His ADS almost seemed magnetised towards them.

After the match I checked his comabt record and his K/D was 8.88.

Not that I've seen. Check his W/L ratio. Typically, anyone with a 4+KD are usually cheaters. You can tell this by people who have awesome KD's and bad W/L ratios. They just dashboard the bad games so they aren't tallied. It's useless, because the Recent Games list records every match regardless, so you can just see all the scores from their bad games anyway. :lol

Anyone seen the reviews for the new Turtle Beaches? PX5 I think? They look reallllyyy good. You can increase different sounds so bumping up footsteps is possible without having every explosion destroy your ear drums. Might coppp

Kermit The Dog said:
Apologies, fucking auto-correct on my phone seems to have sorted me out.

Regardless, I need some concrete rebuttal here. Your analysis was wrong in basically every area, as was the general tone of your post. I know you vehemently defend MW2 at every opportunity (is you KD actually good in that one?) but what you've offered up here is piss-poor to say the least.

Anyway, I'm starting to sort out a run and gun class using LW, SOH and MP with a SMG because it seems like the only class that consistently causes me problems on the smaller maps. Any tips on which gun to use? I'm thinking an MP5 but considering I'm not very experienced with the other SMG's, are there better options?

And is SOH the right choice of a second perk considering the playstyle?

The MPL, Mac10, and Kiparis are decent choices, they're at least easier to handle than the MP5K, But up close that doesn't matter as much, so MP5K is the way to go.

As for sleight of hand, I asked a similar question a while back and I'm just now starting to think sleight of hand is best perk choice for run and gun. On one hand, steady aim does make for faster aiming out of a sprint and offers great hip fire accuracy; yet both of these advantages become a moot point if you learn to anticipate an encounter and come to a walk before hand.

You see, aiming out of a walk is faster and more accurate with sleight of hand than steady aim is when coming out of sprint. I'm not saying to walk everywhere just to avoid the aiming penalties,I'm just saying to learn how to walk into an encounter rather than run into one ( I hope that makes sense! ). Doing this with sleight of hand equipped, you will win most of your one on one encounters

Oh, I haven't even mentioned how handy the faster reload times is yet. With steady aim as a perk you almost have to equip dual mags, with sleight of hand you're free to equip whatever you please

So yeah, with just a few slight alterations to you're play, and there is no reason to equip anything over sleight of hand on a run and gun class besides *slightly* better hip fire. Believe me, I switched back to sleight of hand a week ago, and now I'm dominating most matches doing what I described above ( well I'm not always running and gunning though ).

Still try both perks though, dont just take my word for it.

divisionbyzorro said:
Anyone can cherry pick four or five matches where they absolutely destroy. From what I understood, he's not able to be nearly as consistent. His livestreams in MW2 are epic; truly a thing of beauty to watch. But I haven't seen any indication that he's that consistent at Black Ops.

Err, he's livestreamed Black Ops before, and he dominates in that game just as much as he does in MW2. As a a matter of fact, I've yet to see any indication that he's inconsistent in Black Ops, so I'm struggling to understand precisely what you're basing your opinion on.

aku:jiki

divisionbyzorro said:
Cross posting from the CoD: Elite thread:

Some interesting inside, yet tangential information (on Elite) from "XboxAhoy;" the guy who use to post Call of Duty videos on YouTube and got snatched up to produce content for CoD Elite:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHq1mPPrs4c

Here's an example of the type of content that he used to put out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPHWnnK9JdQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIB02z4trjc
This is awesome news for Ahoy, but I was disappointed to hear that Activision are asking him to make MW3 guides before release. His extensive research is the best part! :(

divisionbyzorro said:
Cross posting from the CoD: Elite thread:

Some interesting inside, yet tangential information (on Elite) from "XboxAhoy;" the guy who use to post Call of Duty videos on YouTube and got snatched up to produce content for CoD Elite:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHq1mPPrs4c

Here's an example of the type of content that he used to put out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPHWnnK9JdQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIB02z4trjc

I just watched some of his guides on my favorite weapons and he got a couple of things wrong:

1: The RPK and HK21 actually have slightly better hipfire accuracy than Assault Rifles (it's weird in that it is the same as ARs when moving but the more stationary and low a position you take the closer the hipfire accuracy gets to that of an SMG)

2: Why would you use HARDENED on a shotgun? Steady Aim pro is a must for a gun in which you are constantly sprinting.

3: The best part of hardened pro on the m60 is that the gun can singlehandedly destroy a helicopter or chopper gunner (seriously, I once managed to unload an entire clip on a chopper gunner while hiding in the warehouse on summit before it could get a single kill)

fernoca

Continue loving this game.
Not rushing through it since it's a digital copy,so I own it ..forever. XD
Plus is not like Modern Warfare 3 will be a direct sequel to this, so at least each will/are unique on their own.

Love taking pictures after the online matches, of the maps... (reduced them to not make this load slower)

Zoo
su2jR.jpg

sBQk7.jpg

t6BXB.jpg

Nuketown
Nguq6.jpg

ujhz0.jpg

bPFcY.jpg

Made it to rank 6! :p
And finally killed 10 in Zoo....way more than the usual 3 kills; since I end in lobbies full of Level 40+. XD

Magik

Even after all these months, I'm still amazed at how AWFUL split-screen players are. 1-31, 0-24, 1-20 are some of the scores I've come across in my last few matches, which of course, I was on the same team.

I've seen awful players in my time but my goodness, what the fuck?

hamchan

The game reset my rank down to 1.....

I sure hope all my stats aren't reset too. If they aren't then I'll continue playing. If they are then I think I'm done.

Magik said:
Even after all these months, I'm still amazed at how AWFUL split-screen players are. 1-31, 0-24, 1-20 are some of the scores I've come across in my last few matches, which of course, I was on the same team.

Often a splitscreen player has never actually played the game before. It doesn't surprise me at all.

Magik said:

It infuriates me aswell. They should have a 'Useless Cunts' playlist so I don't have the suffer from their crapulance.

Nabs

hamchan said:
The game reset my rank down to 1.....

I sure hope all my stats aren't reset too. If they aren't then I'll continue playing. If they are then I think I'm done.

happened to me yesterday. lost my prestige and rank. i got my prestige back, but rank was reset to 1.

if you lost your prestige, try this: rank up to 5 or so (until you can make classes). then change one perk in each of the 5 classes. close the game (they even say to close steam, but who knows) and come back in a few minutes.

Nabs said:
happened to me yesterday. lost my prestige and rank. i got my prestige back, but rank was reset to 1.

if you lost your prestige, try this: rank up to 5 or so (until you can make classes). then change one perk in each of the 5 classes. close the game (they even say to close steam, but who knows) and come back in a few minutes.

Any idea what causes this? I hear people are running hacked lobbies in the older games were every kill gets you negative exp, I hope the same shit doesnt happen on Black Ops.

Nabs

bobs99 ... said:
Any idea what causes this? I hear people are running hacked lobbies in the older games were every kill gets you negative exp, I hope the same shit doesnt happen on Black Ops.
might be related to steam cloud or something.

Infinity

Playing BLOPS this weekend and surprisingly, I'm enjoying the PC version a lot more than the 360. I thought it would be riddled with bugs, janky play, etc., especially since it seemed to have a rocky PC release.

But so far, it's been very smooth. Plus, I tend to do better with a mouse + keyboard.

bobs99 ... said:
Mhmm. Put in WaW for 360 other day. Colorful text covers upper left hand screen. God mode. 3 people on each team are invincible and shit. Pissed me off.
Then I put COD4 in my Ps3 and the playlist says "DLing game settings" and I can't play. Some bullshit.

Speaking of hacked lobbies, I used to LOVE the hacked lobbies on MW2. Y'know, the groundwar lobbies on Rust, those used to be a blast to play on. I hated that the rust lobbies interrupted the regular lobbies though, and the people who set them up were dicks.

So that made me think, what if the next call of duty uses an open lobby system for unranked matches? It would be great, being able to set your own variable like speed or gravity, splash damage from explosives, and have it open to the public, it would be wonderful. To bad its unlikely to happen though....

Enosh

well tried that free weekend thingy

game is fun, but fuck dedicated servers, 90% of them are 18 players servers and 9% are nuketown 24/7 bullshit, so I have to hunt down the one decend not full or empty 12 player server -.-

I know this is probably one of the seven deadly PC gamer sins, but still, fuck them

divisionbyzorro said:
Often a splitscreen player has never actually played the game before. It doesn't surprise me at all.

It happens way too often, and I often think about what goes on over on that side. I always think its like two dumbasses that are sitting around hanging out, one guy lays the controller down while the other plays which effectively leaves both of them in the game while the AFK guy goes like 1-20 or something.

It pisses me off so much when we lose narrowly and theres split screeners with shitty scores. Just make a separate split screen playlist already.

TheExodu5

Banned
Enosh said:
well tried that free weekend thingy

game is fun, but fuck dedicated servers, 90% of them are 18 players servers and 9% are nuketown 24/7 bullshit, so I have to hunt down the one decend not full or empty 12 player server -.-

I know this is probably one of the seven deadly PC gamer sins, but still, fuck them

How to use dedicated servers:

Find server you like
Add to favorites

hamchan

computers putin' said:
lol, it looked like an invisible kid was holding a toy dog and slid it over your way.

I'd be laughing my ass off if that happened to me. Looks like it was blown over by an explosion. Hilarious how it just falls over and dies afterwards.

Kermit The Dog said:
That's probably the worst thing I've ever seen. Wow.

There'd be an size 11 hole in the wall if that happened to me.

Why so serious?

hamchan

Nabs said:

Yep, just tried this and got my prestige back, thanks. My level dropped from 46 to 16 though and all my stats were wiped :(

Now my KDR is probably gonna be around 2.0 instead of the 1.2 I had before.

Risible

Enosh said:
briliant idea
well that is if you compleatly ignore the "server full/empty" problem

I'll be honest - 210 hours played in BLOPS on the PC and I've NEVER had a problem finding a server, and I only play hardcore CTF. If you didn't care what you played I'd imagine it'd be even less of a problem.

O D I N

I still haven't gotten my account back. >:[

So I made a temporary account, as I still want to run around and shoot people in the face.

Here's a fun class;

Mac 11 @ rapid fire
-Stuns and Tomahawk
-Scavenger
-Sleight of Hand
-Marathon

Songbird

Prodigal Son
I've come back after a long break and I must say that I'm genuinely enjoying this game a lot more than I have before. I've found my mojo (has playing Killing Floor made other gaffers here considerably better players in fps games?) and some favourite weapons. Me and another player even held our own against 7 players when the teams were uneven and our buddies quit out. Good fun tonight!

Barnzini said:
I want Treyarch to explain this to me...:p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KjrlKsCwco
Puppies!

Slizz

WTF is Elite? I signed up but have no clue. Also anyone get a confirmation email? I just got the text from the website saying I am registered but nothing in inbox.

Slizz said:
WTF is Elite? I signed up but have no clue. Also anyone get a confirmation email? I just got the text from the website saying I am registered but nothing in inbox.

You're signing up for a beta; the service hasn't launched yet.

Hoping to become more active within the PS3 crowd. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone online! I love the comradely of NeoGaf members. Feel free to hit me up on PSN. Send me a friend request.

PSN ID: SlLENTCAPYBARA

Jeez, based on the press conference footage of MW3, the corpse of IW is already outperforming Treyarch in terms of sound design, character animations, graphics, and setpieces. Granted, they're reusing tons of assets created by the TRUE IW team, but it's impressive nonetheless.

Jack Scofield said:
Jeez, based on the press conference footage of MW3, the corpse of IW is already outperforming Treyarch in terms of sound design, character animations, graphics, and setpieces. Granted, they're reusing tons of assets created by the TRUE IW team, but it's impressive nonetheless.

It was dull and uninspired. I mean, they even used the same fucking UI and font. Are they that afraid of meddling with the style? Even I will probably give this one a miss.

Top Bottom