• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

Songbird

Prodigal Son
This might be limited to people like me, but CoD seems like the kind of game that would ruin friendships and result in stabbings.

COD is infinitely better with friends.

That is the significant reason behind why I have 3+ days in Black Ops and 13+ days in Modern Warfare 2, even though I like Back Ops better. I just don't have IRL friends who play Black Ops.

aku:jiki

Kermit The Dog said:
I agree with this, because from what I've seen, objective games are full of campers and boosters who exploit genuine players going for the objective. I've played Domination and Demolition in order to get some pro-perks, and the amount of cunts sitting off from the bombsite, just waiting for someone to come past is utterly ridiculous. Players like Cuevas are guilty of this, so they're accounts will always have an asterix.
What you don't realize is that probably 80% of the guys that pissed you off were the ones playing the objective the hardest. As long as you're on defense, you're kinda meant to camp. I generally don't, but I can't blame a level 24 for posting up right by the bomb. He's putting in work and being a team player by just being there. And if the same guy is sitting by a flanking route somewhere, he's trying to hold off any flankers, obviously.

The only dishonorable camping in Demolition is when you're on offense.

Kermit The Dog said:
Interesting, but you comparing my first account with your second account is still a new low for you. :lol
I never did, I just posted a screenshot with barely any comment.

aku:jiki said:

You posted it as a rebuttal for me calling you out, almost as though you imagined you had a point. What we can compare is our first accounts:

DROGTURIST:

Days played: 25
KD: 1.6
W/L: 1.1

Moggo

Days played: 12
KD: 2.4
W/L: 1.7

I would really like to see you justify that, and spare me your typical one-sentence topic-effacing bullshit.

What you don't realize is that probably 80% of the guys that pissed you off were the ones playing the objective the hardest. As long as you're on defense, you're kinda meant to camp. I generally don't, but I can't blame a level 24 for posting up right by the bomb. He's putting in work and being a team player by just being there. And if the same guy is sitting by a flanking route somewhere, he's trying to hold off any flankers, obviously.

Perhaps you are right, because I was solely going for either 10 plants or whatever, and people were camping flanking routes, so maybe I got a poor snapshot of the mode. I haven't played objective modes since I got Ninja Pro and I don't think I want to.

At least in TDM it's harder to win a game solely by camping.

That is the significant reason behind why I have 3+ days in Black Ops and 13+ days in Modern Warfare 2, even though I like Back Ops better. I just don't have IRL friends who play Black Ops.

I enjoy the competitive, white-knuckle nature of COD, while my friends enjoy fucking around and talking shit whilst playing, so I haven't found many people I enjoy playing with yet.

I must be missing something, by the sound of it.

Risible

No no no no no. I have no problem WHATSOEVER with camping. If you're protecting the flag then I love you. I often do it myself.

It's the people camping in some odd position near a chokepoint nowhere near the flag. They've found a position that allows them to camp the spawn points so that they can shoot people as they spawn and is easily defensible and also allows them access to people en route to the objective.

They don't move unless forced out of that position by an experienced player (newer players are usually too clueless to even realize how they're being killed) and then they move on to the next position just like that. The spend the entire game just exploiting the game type and racking up kills. Yes, they are tangentially helping their team, but that's just an after-effect of their desire to get EXP and boos their K/D.

They can be literally 20 feet from the flag with the entire opposing team dead and they won't go get the flag. Hell, they won't even return their own flag when it's a few feet from being captured because they don't want to move out of their safe little hidey hole and want to be in position when the opposing team spawns so they can get a few more easy kills.

divisionbyzorro said:

I agree, to a point. BLOPS with friends, who are good, can be a blast. But, I'm a competitive guy. I like to play well and have my team play well, too. I've got a good group of friends now that are pretty darn good. But, I also have a group of friends who are god-awful terrible.

snack

divisionbyzorro said:

Most FPS games, if not all, are better with friends. I hate getting pub stomped when I'm playing alone. It's so depressing...

Hence: Friends with benefits.

Risible

For those that play on the PC, how prevalent do you think cheating/hacking is?

Lately it seems like every server I'm on has some dude with a 5:1 or higher K/D going on. Tonight it was a 9:1. I've scoped some of the films in the Theater and have found some pretty blatant cheaters, but those are just the obvious idiots.

Anyone have any educated guesses?

Mik2121

Risible said:

Lately it seems like every server I'm on has some dude with a 5:1 or higher K/D going on. Tonight it was a 9:1. I've scoped some of the films in the Theater and have found some pretty blatant cheaters, but those are just the obvious idiots.

While not very common, I've got a lot of 9:1 and even higher K/D ratio. And I've got people sending me msg's calling me a cheater....

Perhaps those guys were lucky?

Risible said:

That's always going to be a problem on the PC. Just find a few servers you enjoy and can trust the admins to take care of them.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Risible said:

It's very rare, but it does happen. The only kind of hack I've noticed is a wallhack, killcams showing their crosshair precisely follow me behind walls and solid geometry. Then they fire the instant I cross the corner.

Anyone care to share Steam IDs? No Steam Gaffers I have on my list play Blops.

Risible

Stallion Free said:
I can't even remember the last time. It's been a good 6+ months since I have seen one.

There's definitely at least one hack out there that works and isn't caught by VAC because I watched a guy blatantly cheat in one of my recent games in Theater mode.

He was following people through walls and then getting instant headshots, so it was at the very least a wallhack/aimbot combo. It was obvious as hell even during the match because he was stupid enough to have it set to all headshots. Everyone started crying foul after his 12th or so headshot in a row.

DUN GOOFD

Banned
next map pack in 13 days??

9nzQ0.jpg

Mik2121

Man... what's the deal with BO since the last patch?

I live in Japan and until about a week or two ago, I never had any issues finding matches here in Japan with absolutely no lag in like 5 seconds. Now it takes like 3-5 minutes and I always get matched up with people in other regions.

Maybe it has to do with me having the last patch and a map-pack that's not been released in Japan yet because... the PS Store here hasn't been activated yet?.

So I guess the new map pack is confirmed now that there's different pictures of the ads from different sources? Weird to have a new map pack in two weeks without even a press release yet...

I think it's funny that they have maps called Hangar and Silo. Really? Half the BO maps are filled with hangars and silos! Radiation, WMD, Discovery, Summit, Array, Grid and Launch could all be named Hangar 18 or Silo. :lol

Mik2121 said:
Maybe it has to do with me having the last patch and a map-pack that's not been released in Japan yet because... the PS Store here hasn't been activated yet?.
That's it. You're in a different playlist now. Delete it until the pack is out in Asia.

kuYuri

So I guess the new map pack is confirmed now that there's different pictures of the ads from different sources? Weird to have a new map pack in two weeks without even a press release yet...

Well, here's your PR. ;)

http://investor.activision.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=585487

SANTA MONICA, Calif., June 16, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Call of Duty®: Black Ops, the best selling game ever on the Xbox 360, is ready to blow fans away with the worldwide release of its third content pack on June 28th: Call of Duty®: Black Ops Annihilation. Black Ops continues to draw millions of gamers online globally, logging billions of gameplay hours since its launch in November. Fueled by the breakthrough First Strike and Escalation content packs, the blockbuster title is also already the highest selling add-on content in Xbox LIVE history, according to Microsoft. In fact, more gamers play Call of Duty on Xbox LIVE than on any other platform. The newest offering, Annihilation, will launch first on Xbox LIVE and features four new multiplayer maps and a Zombie experience that's sure to keep gamers coming back for more.

"With Annihilation, Black Ops fans will get four exciting and unique multiplayer settings with Hangar 18, Drive-In, Silo and Hazard," said Treyarch Studio Head, Mark Lamia. "Players will also enjoy an all-new Zombies experience, Shangri-La, an exotic and mysterious map filled with deadly traps, dark secrets and innovative gameplay that will challenge even the most daring Zombie hunters."

Developed by Treyarch and published by Activision Publishing, Inc. (NASDAQ: ATVI), Call of Duty: Black Ops is rated "M" (Mature) by the ESRB for Blood and Gore, Intense Violence and Strong Language. For additional Call of Duty® updates, visit www.callofduty.com/blackops and also via Twitter @Treyarch.

Additionally, to celebrate the upcoming release of Call of Duty®: Black Ops Annihilation, Treyarch will host a Double XP weekend beginning Friday, July 1st.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
It's a great feeling deciding not to buy the map packs for this game, and then just end up winning an Escalation map pack off Twitter.

Maps seem alright so far, looking forward mostly to playing Zombies later today though.

This game continues to piss me off every other day, but I'm mostly in it again to test out my new surround sound headset.

O D I N

Hey guys.

I finally got my account back.

Due to the month I didn't have my account, XBOX decided to give me a 12month code to make up for it.

Fuck yeah.

Tag is still Big Boss 0DIN

Brian Fellows said:
From the tiny bit we get to see of it Hazard looks more like Castle than Cliffside to me.

How? It's got massive sight lines down the centre and rat runs on either side? That's nothing like Castle, and exactly like Cliffside.

I would kill to have Castle/Upheaval/Asylum/Hanger remakes in BO. = (

Spinning Plates said:
Maps look good, I guess. I'm not seeing a Convoy in there, but Hazard looks to have promise. Cliffside was one of the more fun maps in WaW, at least for me as a bolt-action fan, so that should be good in BO too. I'm not sure about Silo, looks like it might be a clusterfuck. The video doesn't make Drive-In look like it "emulates Nuketown," but if it really is that small, I'm all for it and will probably love it. Am I the only one who can't get a grip on Hangar 18 from the video?

What always bothers me about this stuff is how clueless about CoD gameplay they always come off. Why are they always talking about "sniping points," for one? That's not how you snipe in CoD. Try that and you'll be dead in 2 seconds, because some noobtube noob wants to get up there every single time he spawns. When was the last time anyone on GAF was sniped from the "sniper tower" on Firing Range, or up on that balcony on WMD? It's just kind-of stupid that they're working on CoD, but are designing maps for Battlefield...

And that one guy saying "smart players ... who use decoys." LOL! Only dumbass players use decoys!

Kermit The Dog said:
How? It's got massive sight lines down the centre and rat runs on either side? That's nothing like Castle, and exactly like Cliffside.

I would kill to have Castle/Upheaval/Asylum/Hanger remakes in BO. = (
How do you love Upheaval but hate Sub Pens? Out of all the illogical shit you post, I think this is one of the worst! I'd take an Asylum remake though.

1218h.jpg

I just had the game of my life.

m60/grip
python/ speed reloader

flak jacket
SoH
tactical mask (all pro )

killstreaks- rolling thunder, CG, dogs

Whats messed up though is that this match didn't even save! It's in my recent played games list, but it stops halfway. I had a feeling it would happen and took the pic soon as the match ended, since this isn't the only time it's happened. Most of the games I've had the past week or 2 haven't been fully saved, usually stopping 2 or 3 minutes into the match. Is this happening to anyone else? Are Treyarch's servers strained or something?

Oh and this was on jungle, final score 200(my team)-192 if I'm recalling right.

Man, feels like I haven't even played the 2nd map pack much really. :\ I dunno, just feels like I only just got it.

First time with Black Ops I've had to stop and think if I'll bother getting the new thing straight away or not.

What always bothers me about this stuff is how clueless about CoD gameplay they always come off. Why are they always talking about "sniping points," for one? That's not how you snipe in CoD. Try that and you'll be dead in 2 seconds, because some noobtube noob wants to get up there every single time he spawns. When was the last time anyone on GAF was sniped from the "sniper tower" on Firing Range, or up on that balcony on WMD? It's just kind-of stupid that they're working on CoD, but are designing maps for Battlefield...

I completely agree.

How do you love Upheaval but hate Sub Pens? Out of all the illogical shit you post, I think this is one of the worst! I'd take an Asylum remake though.

Alas, this is why I think you're an idiot. Only a complete moron would try and tackle opinion with 'logic' criticism. As far as I can see, I never outlined the reasons for why Sub Pens is a bad map. All I did was say I didn't like it. You're so pre-occupied on trying to one-up me you forget how much of a trigger-happy spanner you look.

I didn't like Sub Pens because it had too many blind corners and allowed people to camp too easily. That's my personal opinion. I was never a fan of it and always voted against it.
In regards to your Upheaval criticism, I loved the map because I was awesome at it, but also because it had many varied flanking runs and interesting chokepoints, and both sides of the maps had exploitable areas which could help either demolish or turn the tide on opposing teams. It was very well designed, flowed well, and like Castle and Asylum, were a joy to play.

I have come to realise I don't enjoy boxy, frenetic maps where random grenade kills can have an impact on the maps. They're too busy and I don't have the space available to really branch out and implement my style. You said you like small maps and that's fine, but I personally prefer larger, expansive and more complex maps because they suit my flanking playstyle. I'm also a stickler for atmosphere, and smaller maps usually don't have much, whereas the bigger, complex maps like Seelow, Array, Outskirts, WMD, Discovery, Berlin Wall drip with atmosphere and really engage me. That probably sounds strange, but it makes me tick. Treyarch have always been good at nailing atmosphere.

Man, feels like I haven't even played the 2nd map pack much really. :\ I dunno, just feels like I only just got it.

Yeah, it does seem quite recent that we were awaiting Map Pack 2. I thought Convoy, Hotel and Stockpile were fantastic from Escalation, so it'll be interesting to see if they can keep their good record going.

The maps keep getting worse. Its like they are trying to 1 up the WaW maps in terms of badness.

Ah, good, you're back. Where would GAF be without its many limp-wristed, laughably ineffective bridge trolls to populate its dark, rancid recesses?

Kermit The Dog said:
I'm also a stickler for atmosphere, and smaller maps usually don't have much, whereas the bigger, complex maps like Seelow, Array, Outskirts, WMD, Discovery, Berlin Wall drip with atmosphere and really engage me. That probably sounds strange, but it makes me tick. Treyarch have always been good at nailing atmosphere.
It would seem that you're actually a fan of Certain Affinity:

http://www.certainaffinity.com/callofduty/screenshots/

Their Black Ops page doesn't have any info, but I'd suspect they did at least Berlin Wall, Array and possibly Discovery. Berlin Wall feels like it has to be them to me.

I guess that makes me a fan as well. I love WMD, Array, Discovery, Sub Pens and Corrosion. Banzai and Roundhouse are pretty good too, and I might've loved Outskirts if it wasn't for the tanks.

Edit: Guess nailed it! But Stadium? Aw, that's one huge minus for them. :(

Their Black Ops page doesn't have any info, but I'd suspect they did at least Berlin Wall, Array and possibly Discovery. Berlin Wall feels like it has to be them to me.

Right you are. I had no idea they did those particular maps, so thanks for that. They're great fucking map makers, that's for sure.

I guess that makes me a fan as well. I love WMD, Array, Discovery, Sub Pens and Corrosion. Banzai and Roundhouse are pretty good too, and I might've loved Outskirts if it wasn't for the tanks.

I loved the tanks, so that skews my opinion a little. I'm still not and never will be a fan of Sub Pens or Corrosion, but I'll let them off.

Yeah I hate Stadium too. I guess what we've learnt is that CA are better when making large maps. :lol

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

I also loved Upheaval and hated Subpens. I just don't care for small maps.

Brian Fellows said:
I also loved Upheaval and hated Subpens. I just don't care for small maps.

Good stuff, and I'm with you. I audibly groan whenever Nuketown (and to a lesser extent Firing Range) comes up in rotation. It's just something about those smaller maps that seems to ruins my enjoyment of the game, and really fuck with the game mechanics.

So they are the ones guilty of making the awful maps? My apologies treyarch.

Well first off im surprised by the hate for Sub Pens. I thought CA did a great job for that map along with the rest of the maps they made for that pack (Banzai, Corrosion).

I like Discovery but Stadium is my least favourite of the new maps so far. I feel like Kowloon is a better fit with the latest Escalation map pack in terms of size/complexity/routes and the interactive elements (zips, lifts, door shutters).

I wouldn't mind it if they put out a new map pack every 8 weeks so long as they were as good as the most recent map pack.

For the record...
Love
Firing Range, Jungle, Summit, Nuketown, Hanoi, Kowloon, Escalation pack...
Hate
Crisis, Array, Havana

Stantron said:
Seems like at this rate, we'll get a fourth map pack. They might even be able to squeeze in a fifth before MW3 drops.

That's overkill really, and I'm sure Activision will prefer to focus eveyone's attention on MW3. They'd probably want people to save their money for the new game.

O D I N

Kermit The Dog said:
That's overkill really, and I'm sure Activision will prefer to focus eveyone's attention on MW3. They'd probably want people to save their money for the new game.

Activision? Wanting people to SAVE money from things THEY will sell?

What blasphemy is this?

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Just beat my PB for most team death kills 3 out of 4 games in a row.

47, 49 and 52 kills. Loving randoms ATM.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
That is pretty nuts. It takes the perfect combination of crappy opponents and even crappier teammates so they don't steal your kills.

Top Bottom