• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
cuevas said:
Eh, I just don't think there's much to discuss about cod anymore. people will bitch about it for the first few weeks and those who really like it stick around but there's nothing to talk about. There's no gaf server for PC, no one holds tournaments, no community really to speak of. Our epeen discussion doesn't help though.
There is. And the PC Blops crew is always in Mumble discussing shit rather than in here.

I use the FAMAS almost exclusively, but even I think it could use a slight nerf. The thing is ridiculous at mid-range, accurate at short range, and a pretty good option for long range combat (I use it for sniping from one building to the other on Hotel). If they really downgrade it, though, no skin off my back. I'll just stick to my Galil.

Also, Big Boss 0DIN and VendettaXXI, sent you both requests via Xbox Live.

aku:jiki said:
My posts are not sarcastic and they're not "games" of any kind, it's just that you're either a remarkably unfunny troll or you're as clueless, narcissistic and hostile as your posts and, either way, I really can't be bothered to care.

Yet your consistent attempts to save face prove otherwise. Here's a tip: if you want to appear nonchalant and disinterested, try and avoid getting involved in the back and forth. Your words and actions don't correlate. It strokes my ego and underlines my belief you're rather perturbed by the constant dressing down you cop in this thread. Let's be honest, you, me and Cuevas are the three biggest ego's in here, and only two of us are any good. I think that pains you.

You get a few, short responses to keep you going because I find your essay-long posts amusing

Sigh, so tiresome.

That bit about the SMG design above was just hilariously stupid - but I don't see why you would ever expect anyone to respond to you or, in the case of trolling, why you would even bother trolling without an audience.

I don't troll, I just refuse to let your bullshit pass.

There has to be a more populated thread to troll for larger lulz?

No, the day you waltzed in here and presented yourself as a 'COD expert' was the day I realised this thread was going to be a cracker. :lol

I use the FAMAS almost exclusively, but even I think it could use a slight nerf. The thing is ridiculous at mid-range, accurate at short range, and a pretty good option for long range combat (I use it for sniping from one building to the other on Hotel). If they really downgrade it, though, no skin off my back. I'll just stick to my Galil.

I find it's only over-powered when I host, where it seemingly becomes a one-hit-kill weapon. Otherwise the kick is quite dramatic and only good players recognise the necessity of burst firing to quell the dramatic recoil.

On dedicated servers like the MLG match-ups, it probably is overpowered, yes.

Xux

You don't think the nerf in itself is a bit ridiculous? They're tossing everything they can think of on it just because Vonderhaar is tired of getting tweets about it. Dude is such a horrible lead designer...

I mean, if you ask me, all it needs is a "normalized" rate of fire - something closer to the other guns in its class. That's it, really. Don't need to alter every other aspect of it, like he's apparently doing.

I would've went with a damage reduction so it's overall feel is maintained but it's power is a little more reasonable. But yeah, damage or rate or fire reduction would've been better than just making it a worse AUG.

djm

Haven't been on BLOPS in a few weeks. Has this FAMAS nerfing update gone live yet? Or is it being pushed out with that new map pack at the end of the month?

I'm more of a suppressed Galil man myself. Here's hoping they leave that be.

You don't think the nerf in itself is a bit ridiculous? They're tossing everything they can think of on it just because Vonderhaar is tired of getting tweets about it. Dude is such a horrible lead designer...

I mean, if you ask me, all it needs is a "normalized" rate of fire - something closer to the other guns in its class. That's it, really. Don't need to alter every other aspect of it, like he's apparently doing.

People are slowly but surely discovering rapid fire SMGs. It's going to turn into a plague eventually... :(

I think just a straight up damage reduction would be the best, that way the Famas doesn't lose it's "feel" in the process; but any combo of the two aforementioned nerfs would suffice too. If Treyarch does go through with all of the mentioned changes to the Famas, then that may be going overboard and might just turn the Famas into a POS, guess we'll have to wait and see.

As far rapid fire smg's go, I'm starting to see the trend too. Hell, last week I started using a rapid fire MPL because some kid was constantly destroying me with it. It has made me look at the smg class in a whole new light.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
This game has become unplayable for me. The latency has just been down right ridiculous ever since that last patch came out. I seem to be a good 3 or 4 seconds behind everyone. People are basically running around corners and killing be before I ever even see them on my screen and its pretty much every game.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Brian Fellows said:
This game has become unplayable for me. The latency has just been down right ridiculous ever since that last patch came out. I seem to be a good 3 or 4 seconds behind everyone. People are basically running around corners and killing be before I ever even see them on my screen and its pretty much every game.

This always was and will forever be the problem with BO. I think there was some earlier theories as to Theater Mode causing some of these issues on the host side. Either way, would be curious if MW3 lacked theater mode and had more responsive online play.

Xux

Summit's such a shitty map. Way too small for Call of Duty. Firing Range is the same. Favela was probably the minimum size a map should be.

Brian Fellows said:

That HAS to be an exaggeration. Count 4 seconds in your head and then try and tell me you're not exaggerating? Even being half a second out is crucial in COD, but 3 or 4 is mental and unbelievable.

This always was and will forever be the problem with BO. I think there was some earlier theories as to Theater Mode causing some of these issues on the host side. Either way, would be curious if MW3 lacked theater mode and had more responsive online play.

You guys must play in some sort of wind-tunnel. I have no such issues. Very strange.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Brian Fellows said:

i knew i wasnt the only one noticing this everytime i play i have to tell myself to fire if i think someones around the corner to make sure i get the kill since everytime i wait for them to show up on screen i get killed instead

Mik2121

So... Elite beta coming in about 3 weeks. How many of you have registered on the site to get an invitation? I surely did :p

Wonder how much of it is compatible with Black Ops, though.

aku:jiki

Xux said:
Summit's such a shitty map. Way too small for Call of Duty. Firing Range is the same. Favela was probably the minimum size a map should be.
You mean they're too small for your playstyle... You just mentioned the two maps I pretty much always do well on. (Especially Summit. It's probably the only map where I get a bit excited when it gets voted on. Wait, that one and Jungle! Jungle rules too.)

Mik2121 said:
Wonder how much of it is compatible with Black Ops, though.
Very likely it was built around Black Ops, and that MW3 support will be added later, instead of the other way around.

Mik2121

You mean they're too small for your playstyle... You just mentioned the two maps I pretty much always do well on. (Especially Summit. It's probably the only map where I get a bit excited when it gets voted on. Wait, that one and Jungle! Jungle rules too.)

Very likely it was built around Black Ops, and that MW3 support will be added later, instead of the other way around.
In an interview during E3 with Geoff and one of the guys from Activision or Infinity Ward (forgot), he said that while Elite was being built around MW3, Black Ops would still have many of the same features, but from what they said, MW3 will be the one with all the features.

cameltoe

Kermit The Dog said:
That HAS to be an exaggeration. Count 4 seconds in your head and then try and tell me you're not exaggerating? Even being half a second out is crucial in COD, but 3 or 4 is mental and unbelievable.

You guys must play in some sort of wind-tunnel. I have no such issues. Very strange.

I have the same issues. It is a good .5-1.0 second behind....

cameltoe said:
I have the same issues. It is a good .5-1.0 second behind....

I can understand the .5 thing, but I rarely experience it. Weird that you guys seem to cop it way more than I do. Are you all in the US?

In regards to the Summit debate, I despise it too and it and Stadium are my two hated maps. Can't stand either of them. I tend to do alright on Summit but I groan each time it appears in rotation.

Kermit The Dog said:
I can understand the .5 thing, but I rarely experience it. Weird that you guys seem to cop it way more than I do. Are you all in the US?

In regards to the Summit debate, I despise it too and it and Stadium are my two hated maps. Can't stand either of them. I tend to do alright on Summit but I groan each time it appears in rotation.
I'm not positive, but don't you mostly play solo? That right there is likely the reason you don't have many issues. If you are playing with a group, it finds games based on the connection to the party leader. This can mean that if you aren't the leader, your connection might not be the best.

When it happens to me and I'm getting delays...I'd guess .5 - 1 second is a much more realistic assessment than 3 - 4 seconds. I usually play a far slower game when I notice that lag too. I don't out and out camp, but I definitely don't do my normal run and gun type of play because I wind up losing way more of those battles than normal just because of the lag.

Had a weird connectivity issue last night. A group of me and 5 folks were partied up, got into a match, and every single person (except for two folks on the opposing team) were one-barred for our network connection. Needless to say, it ended up being a frustrating match...

Stantron

I've bitched about lag before in this thread, but I'll throw my two cents in again. I've got 30Mbps down, 4Mbps up, 13-19ms ping, wired connection, all xbox ports forwarded, router "optimized for gaming", xbox MAC address set to highest priority, an open NAT, live in a major US city, and the game set to "local only". I play mercenary TDM most of the time. And yet all that, lag has been a huge issue since the game launched. Most of the time it's up to a full second of discrepancy, but it can occasionally get worse, like up to ~1.5 seconds. It's super frustrating dying to so many engagements that you would have survived if not for the lag; encounters where you get the drop on a guy yet still suffer a death because most of your shots didn't count. I don't understand. My connection settings have to be better than at least 80% of people who play. Even if the problem is with Treyarch's net code, I don't get why I'm getting the short end of the stick. I'm jealous of people with minimal lag issues. On rare occasion I get the connection working in my favor, and I get a taste of what that's like. :/

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
.5 to 1 second is pretty normal and I've learned to deal with that but its been much worse since the patch and when people use LW and marathon it just amplifies the problem.

I ran up to a corner planted a claymore back up a few step turn around start running only to get shot in back and killed as my claymore goes off. Only after I've fallen down dead does the other person actually come around. Then I watch the kill cam and see the other person was around the corner already shooting me as I was placing the claymore.

I don't know exactly how long that sequence took but it was longer than a second.

djm

Stantron said:
I've bitched about lag before in this thread, but I'll throw my two cents in again. I've got 30Mbps down, 4Mbps up, 13-19ms ping, wired connection, all xbox ports forwarded, router "optimized for gaming", xbox MAC address set to highest priority, an open NAT, live in a major US city, and the game set to "local only". I play mercenary TDM most of the time. And yet all that, lag has been a huge issue since the game launched. Most of the time it's up to a full second of discrepancy, but it can occasionally get worse, like up to ~1.5 seconds. It's super frustrating dying to so many engagements that you would have survived if not for the lag; encounters where you get the drop on a guy yet still suffer a death because most of your shots didn't count. I don't understand. My connection settings have to be better than at least 80% of people who play. Even if the problem is with Treyarch's net code, I don't get why I'm getting the short end of the stick. I'm jealous of people with minimal lag issues. On rare occasion I get the connection working in my favor, and I get a taste of what that's like. :/

I think you're overreacting, to be honest. I play on pretty much the exact opposite of the connection spectrum (very rural area on interleaved 1.5mb DSL with pings of 90-100ms to the first hop). The only time I ever have 4 green bars is when I get host as a fluke and everyone else has yellow/orange bars.

Never pay attention to the kill cams/game replays, they simply aren't an accurate representation of what happened.

Kermit The Dog said:

As far as latency goes I experience similar issues; but thats only with ground war. In ground war, dying to a person before even seeing his player model come around a corner, or dying before you see a muzzle flash even, is pretty common. The rest of the playlists are.....okay.
It's just in ground war were extreme cases of lag is common, at least for me.

Oh, and Summit does suck pretty bad.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
djm said:
Never pay attention to the kill cams/game replays, they simply aren't an accurate representation of what happened.

I'd say they are more accurate than what I see on my screen most of the time. Maybe not for aim but definitely for timing.

Xux

Why the fuck is climbing ladders so fucked up still? You should only have the option to climb straight up or down.

So this kid was giving me shit saying my KD was a lie, etc. He was sending me voice messages full of youthful bleating.

So we start a TDM game on Grid, him on the other team. Long story short, I go 40 - 1 and get about 15 of those kills with his stolen fucking gun. :lol He ragequit about halfway through and my message inbox has been vacant and silent since that game.

If anyone wants tips on how to be awesome, go watch that game. :lol

Why the fuck is climbing ladders so fucked up still? You should only have the option to climb straight up or down.

Yeah, spot on. How is so hard to have a reliable up and down control on ladders? One of my two key annoyances with this game, the other being the woefully inaccurate nemesis scoring after each match. How can that be so hard to get right?

Kermit The Dog said:
So this kid was giving me shit saying my KD was a lie, etc. He was sending me voice messages full of youthful bleating.

So we start a TDM game on Grid, him on the other team. Long story short, I go 40 - 1 and get about 15 of those kills with his stolen fucking gun. :lol He ragequit about halfway through and my message inbox has been vacant and silent since that game.

If anyone wants tips on how to be awesome, go watch that game. :lol

Yeah, spot on. How is so hard to have a reliable up and down control on ladders? One of my two key annoyances with this game, the other being the woefully inaccurate nemesis scoring after each match. How can that be so hard to get right?

Whatever. I love seeing my nemesis listed as a dude who killed me zero times, and who I killed zero times, too. :)

Nori Chan

AnEternalEnigma said:
Climbing ladders in Black Ops has always felt like they were covered in butter.
This. I can never climb up a damn ladder.

Anyone know what the 14 mb patch was? I downloaded today. I haven't played in a while either so it can probably be a buildup. On 360

Xux

Noriega said:
This. I can never climb up a damn ladder.

Anyone know what the 14 mb patch was? I downloaded today. I haven't played in a while either so it can probably be a buildup. On 360
6/23/11
(Title Update 10)
• Security Updates.
• New playlists – Flags and Bombs
• C4 can no longer be warped to player carrying bomb in S&D and Sabotage.
• Removed erroneous “Reset to Default” message when trying to load a DLC map you do not have.
• In-game icons (care package icons, etc) no longer appear in the Create A Class menu.
• Support for Annihilation map pack, available June 28th on Xbox LIVE!
• Fix for a rare crash related to weapons.
• Game no longer crashes when Xbox LIVE servers are down.
• Additional weapon balancing.
• Ninja Pro Perk no longer makes sounds when mantling or diving to prone.

AnEternalEnigma said:
Is this the FAMAS nerf patch?

I downloaded the patch and played a few rounds and didn't notice any appreciable difference with the FAMAS. From a distance it still felt pretty powerful and accurate. If anything, there may have been a little more recoil with prolonged firing.

This game is so inconsistent it's not even funny, this is by far the worst CoD i've ever played!
One game you can go 45-3 or whatever and the next you will lose every 1on1 gun fight. So dumb.
Also this game is so much more slow the any other CoD! Cant count the times the time just ran out in a TD game, so boring to play.
I hope MW3 will be better, but i'm not keeping my hopes up :)
i even enjoy mw2 more then black ops.

Sorry, needed to vent.

Razor 81 said:
This game is so inconsistent it's not even funny, this is by far the worst CoD i've ever played!
One game you can go 45-3 or whatever and the next you will lose every 1on1 gun fight. So dumb.
Also this game is so much more slow the any other CoD! Cant count the times the time just ran out in a TD game, so boring to play.
I hope MW3 will be better, but i'm not keeping my hopes up :)
i even enjoy mw2 more then black ops.

Sorry, needed to vent.

It's all good, I had the same sentiments about MW2. I guess BO caters to my playstyle far more than MW2 did.

It must be something about Treyarch. Love it. :D

It's not all bad. it's like i said, it's super inconsistent. Sometimes when you are in a lobby with no ghostcampers and a descent connection, it can be allot of fun. But yeah, those times are to far apart for my liking.

I'm wondering about the Famas though and how bad it now is or hardly any difference? I'm on ps3 so we got to wait a month i guess.

I've had few connection problems lately. But, I have had a lot of folks quitting out mid-match, though, including a match where I was 31-0, only to see all that awesomeness disappear in a puff of network smoke. I seem to be running into this problem more and more lately and it's getting so freaking annoying.

Top Bottom