• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

otakuderek

Can I get a recommended class for the assault rifles? I have my submachine classes set, but I'm pretty sucky at this game. Right now, I have:

Commando w/ dual mag
Ghost
Sleight of Hand Pro
Ninja

AUG w/ red dot
hadline
sleight of hand pro
marathon

Advice?

Edit: K/D is about 1.44 but it's not consistent. I'm struggling to improve.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
VendettaXXI said:
Can I get a recommended class for the assault rifles? I have my submachine classes set, but I'm pretty sucky at this game. Right now, I have:
I'm really sucky too, but my generalised AR loadout is

ACOG Scope
Hardline
Steady Aim
Hacker

Works for pretty much every weapon. Steady Aim for when you get surprised, ACOG for mid-long range.

otakuderek

Thnikkaman said:

ACOG Scope
Hardline
Steady Aim
Hacker

Works for pretty much every weapon. Steady Aim for when you get surprised, ACOG for mid-long range.

Going to give that a try with my FAMAS.

Also, if anyone wants to add me, it's VendettaXXI. I'm on pretty regularly around 12am EST.

VendettaXXI said:

Commando w/ dual mag
Ghost
Sleight of Hand Pro
Ninja

AUG w/ red dot
hadline
sleight of hand pro
marathon

Advice?

Edit: K/D is about 1.44 but it's not consistent. I'm struggling to improve.

1.44 is pretty good for someone starting out. Good stuff.

I also use the Commando:

Commando with Silencer
Ghost Pro
Sleight of Hand Pro
Hacker Pro

I use Ghost because I'm a flanker, SOH because of the help it gives you in populated firefights, and Hacker Pro so as to avoid needless death via Claymores. Hacker is also awesome because it gives campers away so easily, and allows you to take control of their equipment. It's a must. I used to run Ninja Pro, but the advantage it gives is minimal at best, and Ninja Pro is barely an upgrade. Hacker Pro is far more beneficial.

It all depends on your playstyle. If you go in all guns blazing and attack head on, use dual mags but get rid of Ghost and Ninja because they aren't beneficial to your playstyle.

If you move slowly and methodically and flank, use Ghost and Hacker with a silencer.

O D I N

Thnikkaman said:

ACOG Scope

Hardline
Steady Aim
Hacker

jackiechanp.jpg

ACOG is terrible on most weapons. Lowers your center speed. Not that helpful on most guns. Plus, if you're going long range, why have steady aim?

Wait;

Picture%2031.png

I don't use guns!

Still, on a serious note; I don't see the need for ACOG on ANY assault rifle, except the FAL and M14. Steady aim with ACOG just baffles me. If it works for you though, more power to you.

When I do gun, I really like the Commando and AUG with Dual mags or extendoes+Sleight of Hand.

Blue is situational. I prefer Scavenger. Green is the same way. I like Ninja or Marathon, but lately I've been using Hacker and working on getting Tac Mask pro.

EDIT: Silencer on Commando and AUG are pretty great.

Second favorite is Galil with extendoes or warlord it with suppressor. I LOVE a 50 round mag.

Thnikkaman said:

ACOG Scope
Hardline
Steady Aim
Hacker

I have no idea how you make ACOG and Steady Aim work. That makes no sense, and the ACOG is a complete waste with Steady Aim. Seems counter-intuitive, and the AR's are so accurate over long distance that you're basically wasting a perk. I'd try something else.

otakuderek

Kermit The Dog said:
I have no idea how you make ACOG and Steady Aim work. That makes no sense, and the ACOG is a complete waste with Steady Aim. Seems counter-intuitive, and the AR's are so accurate over long distance that you're basically wasting a perk. I'd try something else.

I just tried it out on a FAMAS class and it was different to say the least. I'm digging this Hacker perk though! I has made my deaths drop significantly.

O D I N

VendettaXXI said:
Going to give that a try with my FAMAS.

Also, if anyone wants to add me, it's VendettaXXI. I'm on pretty regularly around 12am EST.

Do you mean AM or PM?

I'm usually on at that time (11pm central), so feel free to hit me up;

Big Boss 0DIN

Or anyone if they'd like to add me. I'll play with anyone.

EDIT: Cool, I'm usually on then; I work late for the most part, so I get on right after work.

So according to David Vondevaar or whatever, that Treyarch guy, the next title update will include a major nerfing of the FAMAS. The tweaks:

- Increasing ADS raise time
- Hip fire accuracy reduction
- More gun-kick (less accurate)
- Slower re-centre speed

Interesting, but strange. It's taken 8 months for them to decide it's overpowered...?

It won't really affect me thankfully, (good ol Commando) but I can see the FAMAS users being quite dirty on the changes.

http://twitter.com/DavidVonderhaar

O D I N

I don't think it will make that much of difference personally.

But that, I mean the amount of people using said gun. The 74u is still being used quite a bit even though they 'nerfed' it.

To me, these 'nerfs' are just a slap on the wrist. :-/

Plus, I'd guess that maybe half of the players using the FAMAS won't even KNOW that their gun is being nerfed, and will just continue to use it.

:shrug: Just a guess.

The only reason why I think this will cause trouble is that the FAMAS is the go-to gun for the competitive, hardcore players. You couldn't watch an MLG game without 80% of players using the FAMAS.

The official forums have lit up. :lol

kuYuri

Kermit The Dog said:
The only reason why I think this will cause trouble is that the FAMAS is the go-to gun for the competitive, hardcore players. You couldn't watch an MLG game without 80% of players using the FAMAS.

The official forums have lit up. :lol

I thought the Famas nerf was a joke, haha.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Okay, okay fellas. The reason I use both is because I can alternately use hip-fire and the scope over long distances. Nuff said.

Kermit The Dog said:
Seems counter-intuitive, and the AR's are so accurate over long distance that you're basically wasting a perk. I'd try something else.
Except they really aren't accurate over long range without a scope of some kind.

And ODIN, don't bullshit me with your image macros. What other slot 2 perk is worthwhile? None of them.

VendettaXXI said:
I just tried it out on a FAMAS class and it was different to say the least. I'm digging this Hacker perk though! I has made my deaths drop significantly.
Hacker is a godsend. Makes enemy mines almost a non-problem.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Kermit The Dog said:
So according to David Vondevaar or whatever, that Treyarch guy, the next title update will include a major nerfing of the FAMAS. The tweaks:

- Increasing ADS raise time
- Hip fire accuracy reduction
- More gun-kick (less accurate)
- Slower re-centre speed

Interesting, but strange. It's taken 8 months for them to decide it's overpowered...?

It won't really affect me thankfully, (good ol Commando) but I can see the FAMAS users being quite dirty on the changes.

http://twitter.com/DavidVonderhaar

It still boggles my mind that this POS is considered the best gun in the game. Every prestige its a mad dash to level 20 so I can stop using it.

O D I N

Thnikkaman said:
Except they really aren't accurate over long range without a scope of some kind.

And ODIN, don't bullshit me with your image macros. What other slot 2 perk is worthwhile? None of them.

I use Sleight of Hand or Warlord almost exclusively, depending on my class setup.

For a ghost class for SnD, having my class setup this way is a godsend;

AUG/Commando
Ghost
Warlord (Dual mags and Suppressor)
Ninja/Hacker

With the dual mags giving me extra ammo, I have no need for scavenger. Wanting to stay off the radar in a game like SnD, having a suppressor is worth it, while still having extra mags when I need them.

If I'm running Scavenger, I usually go with extended mags and Sleight of Hand. Finding/having ammo isn't an issue, and having the bigger magazine is helpful for games like demolition, headquarters, or domination when trying to defend a capture/plant point. SoH speeds up the reload (obviously) and will get me back to shooting quickly.

Does it ALWAYS work out like this? No, of course not. And of course this is just my opinion. I rarely gun anyway, and it's not a big deal to me. I just go with what I'm comfortable with.

I was just having fun with images. No reason to get so up tight about it. Just having some fun. :-/

Hardened and Scout are pretty useless to me. Steady aim is only useful to me for the Spas, as the sights on that gun are terrible (Yes, you shouldn't be ADSing a shotgun anyway. Lower spread when aiming stakeout, blah blah I'm not gonna defend this. Too lazy).

aku:jiki

Thnikkaman said:
Eh, sorry man, but that'd be you not being accurate.

Brian Fellows said:
It still boggles my mind that this POS is considered the best gun in the game. Every prestige its a mad dash to level 20 so I can stop using it.
It boggles my mind that you could even type this. The FAMAS is clearly the best gun in the game. Insanely accurate at any range, basically zero recoil if you burst fire (which you only need to do for longshots), good damage and a rate of fire as high as the fastest SMGs. What arguments could you possibly have for why it's a bad gun?

zam

People are saying the FAMAS is the shit? what is this i don't even. That gun is ridiculously overpowered and has needed a nerf for a long time.

and while we are posting set-ups:
FAMAS dual mags
Akimbo CZ75s
Ghost Pro
Steady Aim Pro
Ninja Pro/Hacker (depends)

sometimes might go with sleight of hand for insta ADS and fast reload, but I'm mostly a close to mid-range player, and FAMAS with steady aim hipfire is insane and I love how the gun is ready to fire a nanosecond after sprinting when I have steady aim pro.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
If it made any sense it wouldn't be mind boggling would it? :)

But for me the thing seems to shoot phantom bullets and take way too many hit markers to kill anyone. This is not a problem I have with the Galil, Aug, AK, or Commando. When I shoot those guns my bullets hit their mark and actually seem to do damage.

Brian Fellows said:
If it made any sense it wouldn't be mind boggling would it? :)

But for me the thing seems to shoot phantom bullets and take way too many hit markers to kill anyone. This is not a problem I have with the Galil, Aug, AK, or Commando. When I shoot those guns my bullets hit their mark and actually seem to do damage.

I'm assuming you like the pull the trigger and never stop firing? If that's the case, then you're going to have all sorts of trouble with the FAMAS. But if you get right on target and burst fire, you'll get them faster than anything else. That's why you see it paired with the red dot so much; it's important to get that first burst right on target.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
divisionbyzorro said:
I'm assuming you like the pull the trigger and never stop firing? If that's the case, then you're going to have all sorts of trouble with the FAMAS. But if you get right on target and burst fire, you'll get them faster than anything else. That's why you see it paired with the red dot so much; it's important to get that first burst right on target.

Nope I'm a burst fire guy.

Well, I've always felt the Famas was marginally overpowered, so I'm fine with the nerf. Truth is, Treyarch has done one of the better balancing jobs in a shooter recently, and after the Famas is nerfed, there isn't one gun you can say is the clear cut best in this game. If I head to guess though, people are probably gonna move onto the Aug, Galil or G11 for their go to gun now.

Thnikkaman said:

Bullshit. The tiny accuracy advantage ACOG provides over long distances is completely negated by the disadvantage it gives you at close ranges. Trust me, you're making a mistke. ACOG is useless.

You're using an AR. Steady Aim is therefore a worthless perk to your class. Sleight of Hand is the most useful Perk 2 slot without question.

Brian Fellows said:

Wow, really? It doesn't work for me, but the FAMAS in the right hands is unstoppable. Whenever I host, I pick the FAMAS because it's a seemingly one shot kill. The initial spread is real narrow to the point of ridiculousness. It kicks dramatically if you hold the trigger down, but good players burst fire and negate that significant kick.

Since using Hacker, my K/D has hovered around 2.72! Hacker=GodMode

Glad I could help. :D

computers putin' said:
Well, I've always felt the Famas was marginally overpowered, so I'm fine with the nerf.
You don't think the nerf in itself is a bit ridiculous? They're tossing everything they can think of on it just because Vonderhaar is tired of getting tweets about it. Dude is such a horrible lead designer...

I mean, if you ask me, all it needs is a "normalized" rate of fire - something closer to the other guns in its class. That's it, really. Don't need to alter every other aspect of it, like he's apparently doing.

computers putin' said:
and after the Famas is nerfed, there isn't one gun you can say is the clear cut best in this game.
People are slowly but surely discovering rapid fire SMGs. It's going to turn into a plague eventually... :(

Big Baybee said:
PS3 players, new maps worth it?

Quite simply, yes.

You don't think the nerf in itself is a bit ridiculous? They're tossing everything they can think of on it just because Vonderhaar is tired of getting tweets about it. Dude is such a horrible lead designer...

Really now? Really? That's your conclusion? The guy who's heading up the most balanced COD yet is a 'horrible lead designer'? I can understand your dislike of the nerfing, but to lay it all on him and to assert that the nerfing is only being done due to Twitter rebukes is pretty ridiculous.

I personally didn't think the FAMAS was overpowered, and I don't agree with the nerfing, but you cannot deny the fact competitive players gravitated to the FAMAS almost exclusively. It was a gun without drawbacks, and the only significant con, the gun kick, was negatable by skilled players.

Scrubs aren't able to make the FAMAS godly, but in the right hands it was unstoppable.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Gah, I just tried to get into BO again after dropping it for a few months now and playing COD4/MW2 casually since.

I just don't understand what it is about this game, but it's missing something. In comparison to the other COD's, I find it incredibly dull for some awkward reason. And it's not that I'm doing bad either. Still managing nearly 3-7 K/D every game, but by comparison to the other COD's which I do worse on, I find them way more intense and enjoyable to play.

Going to dwell on this concept for a while, until I can find a legitimate reason why I find BO not as enjoyable as other COD's.

Slizz

OMG Korean BBQ, what an awful game that was we had. You joined pretty close to the beginning my teammates weren't doing SHIT!

Magik

LeMaximilian said:
Gah, I just tried to get into BO again after dropping it for a few months now and playing COD4/MW2 casually since.

I just don't understand what it is about this game, but it's missing something. In comparison to the other COD's, I find it incredibly dull for some awkward reason. And it's not that I'm doing bad either. Still managing nearly 3-7 K/D every game, but by comparison to the other COD's which I do worse on, I find them way more intense and enjoyable to play.

Going to dwell on this concept for a while, until I can find a legitimate reason why I find BO not as enjoyable as other COD's.

I find the game lacks any excitement that was found in CoD 4, WaW and MW2. There's no rush at all and the gameplay, while very solid, is boring.

When I get a Chopper Gunner or Dogs in BO, its not exciting yet when I get a Chopper Gunner in MW2 or Dogs in WaW, I'm hyped as shit.

I guess ultimately, the problem with BO for me is its a solid game but doesn't have anything that makes it feel special that CoD4, WaW, and MW2 had.

Kermit The Dog said:
Really now? Really? That's your conclusion? The guy who's heading up the most balanced COD yet is a 'horrible lead designer'?
The only reason you consider it balanced is because your favored playstyle is superior. You run Ghost and probably a Galil or Commando every single match you play. How do you claim to know how the other weapon categories are balanced?

Why do SMGs have tiny little clips and even tinier reserves? Why do LMGs have tiny clips? Why the hell would we want heavy ARs that slow us down with none of the classic CoD LMG perks (meaning giant mags for intense spray and pray)? Why were snipers useless before the patch, and are barely usable now? Why did shotguns need to be primaries again, honestly? Why even include explosives when you're going to nerf them so hard that they're basely useful, while also tossing in a dumbass perk that makes them entirely useless?

You might consider it your favorite CoD, but calling it the most balanced is a joke. WaW was far better in that respect.

Kermit The Dog said:

I think he uses steady aim in close situations to avoid having to ads, and uses the acog for long distance. If anything I dont think the Acog is necessary and Reflex site works just as well without being so clunky.

aku:jiki said:
The only reason you consider it balanced is because your favored playstyle is superior. You run Ghost and probably a Galil or Commando every single match you play. How do you claim to know how the other weapon categories are balanced?

My most used gun is the 74u and the MP5 is second. I personally think Commando is the best gun in the game, but I have half as many kills with it as I do the 74u. I was late in realising the beastliness of the Commando. I now hate the 74u. Now, I use the Commando, FAMAS and MP5 almost exclusively.

I use three guns for different map types.

MP5 rapid fire:

Firing Range
Nuketown
Havana
Summit

FAMAS extended mags

Firing Range
Stadium
Radiation
Cracked
Launch

Commando Silenced:

WMD
Grid
Villa
Array
Jungle
Crisis
Discovery
Berlin Wall
Zoo
Kowloon
Convoy
Hotel
Hanoi
Stockpile

So no, I don't favour a certain gun exclusively. I adapt to the map.

(Although I do believe the SMG class is less balanced than the AR class.)

Why do SMGs have tiny little clips and even tinier reserves?

Because they are run-and-gun style weapons and the small clips and low ammunition encourages players to use the gun in that style. Always moving.

Why do LMGs have tiny clips?

The best LMG, the M60, has a 100 bullet magazine?

Why the hell would we want heavy ARs that slow us down with none of the classic CoD LMG perks (meaning giant mags for intense spray and pray)?

M60M60M60M60M60M60

Why were snipers useless before the patch, and are barely usable now?

Because it was unfair and overpowered, and now it is slightly ridiculous and overpowered. Quickscopers still give me the shits on occasion because a one-hit-kill weapon shouldn't be so easy to use. Similarly, one-hit-kills expose the lag problems that plague P2P shooters.

Why did shotguns need to be primaries again, honestly?

Because they were too powerful as a secondary class. It meant most classes had no weak aspects. At least in BO there's pro's and cons to every class.

Why even include explosives when you're going to nerf them so hard that they're basely useful, while also tossing in a dumbass perk that makes them entirely useless?

Because they were woefully overpowered in MW2, game-breakingly so, and Flak Jacket Pro negates the unfair advantage a tuber has in one on one firefights. A good tuber is guaranteed two kills before the negatives of the class are exposed.

You might consider it your favorite CoD, but calling it the most balanced is a joke. WaW was far better in that respect.

WaW was rock-solid, but the MP40 was so blatantly overpowered (and unstoppable if used with Juggernaut) that I cannot consider WaW more balanced in the face of BO. Enough said.

You may question some of Treyarch or Vondehaar's decisions at different points, but to label him personally a horrible lead designer exposes your curious ability to redefine the notion of a hypberbolic drama queen. To be perfectly honest, you're just butthurt that BO relates you to the bracket of an average player, where you belong. No more of that game exploitable bullshit that tickled your balls and led you to believe you were a 'COD expert.'

bobs99 ... said:
I think he uses steady aim in close situations to avoid having to ads, and uses the acog for long distance. If anything I dont think the Acog is necessary and Reflex site works just as well without being so clunky.

I understand the logic behind his thinking, but in practice I think the perks he has chosen are incompatible and wasteful. Most of the AR's have useful iron sights as it is, and the ACOG doesn't give much of an advantage over something constantly useful, such as a supressor, extended mags or dual mags.

Slizz said:
OMG Korean BBQ, what an awful game that was we had. You joined pretty close to the beginning my teammates weren't doing SHIT!

Haha, totally agreed. I think I ended up with a 2.0 k/d in that one match. But, considering the rest of the team did nothing...yeah. We should play more often together, though.

Kermit The Dog said:
The best LMG, the M60, has a 100 bullet magazine?
Proving once again that you don't have the slightest clue what balance means. I won't bother responding to the rest of your essay since it's pointless if you don't understand why that's a dumbass response.

aku:jiki said:
Proving once again that you don't have the slightest clue what balance means. I won't bother responding to the rest of your essay since it's pointless if you don't understand why that's a dumbass response.

You said the LMG's have tiny clips. I presented one that didn't. Your proposition and my response had nothing to do with balance. The fact the M60 is the best LMG yet also has the biggest clip is admittedly curious, but that had nothing to do with the point you made and the one I responded to.

If you think I'm going to be fooled by the ol' 'isolate one point and brush over the rest with sweeping derogatory remark' routine, try harder. You're inability to participate in legitimate debate is quite bemusing.

Kermit The Dog said:
the ol' 'isolate one point and brush over the rest with sweeping derogatory remark' routine

Well obvi you aren't going to fall for it, you wrote THE book on it.

Edit: You don't get it. Just because you type a lot doesn't mean you make any points.

cuevas said:
Well obvi you aren't going to fall for it, you wrote THE book on it.

Difference being, I respond in-depth to all rebuttals and replies, whereas you two respond with limp-wristed, one-sentence sarcastic bullshit that only acts to reinforce a collective inability to participate in debate.

You can waffle on about how I'm not worth the trouble or the time, etc, but if that is the thought-process, why do you both seem incapable of resisting my whimsical charm? Put me on ignore and don't respond in the first place.

Kermit The Dog said:
You can waffle on about how I'm not worth the trouble or the time, etc, but if that is the thought-process, why do you both seem incapable of resisting my whimsical charm? Put me on ignore and don't respond in the first place.
My posts are not sarcastic and they're not "games" of any kind, it's just that you're either a remarkably unfunny troll or you're as clueless, narcissistic and hostile as your posts and, either way, I really can't be bothered to care. You get a few, short responses to keep you going because I find your essay-long posts amusing - that bit about the SMG design above was just hilariously stupid - but I don't see why you would ever expect anyone to respond to you or, in the case of trolling, why you would even bother trolling without an audience. There has to be a more populated thread to troll for larger lulz?

divisionbyzorro said:
There was, before you guys all ruined it.

Way to go.

Eh, I just don't think there's much to discuss about cod anymore. people will bitch about it for the first few weeks and those who really like it stick around but there's nothing to talk about. There's no gaf server for PC, no one holds tournaments, no community really to speak of. Our epeen discussion doesn't help though.

Top Bottom