• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

zam

ThirstyFly said:
So, in the new maps, are there any interactive elements or moving parts like the doors in Stockpile or the target cutouts in Firing Range? Those are some of my favorite things about BO and would love to see more.
Nothing that impacts gameplay. A missile takes off now and then on Silo, but it's outside the map so you can't get caught under the blast like on Launch, and it doesn't make the whole map shake like Launch either. The picture on the movie screen in Drive-in changes, but doesn't change anything other that it's a different picture. Not even walking right behind the engines that are blasting of the blackbird on Hangar 18 does anything.

zam said:
Nothing that impacts gameplay. A missile takes off now and then on Silo, but it's outside the map so you can't get caught under the blast like on Launch, and it doesn't make the whole map shake like Launch either. The picture on the movie screen in Drive-in changes, but doesn't change anything other that it's a different picture. Not even walking right behind the engines that are blasting of the blackbird on Hangar 18 does anything.

I seriously tip-toed around those engines the first time I ran by them. Thought they would toast me. :)

Shanks

Kind of a side question I hoped I could get answered here. I bought the PS3 Call of Duty bundle and I have no interest in Black Ops or the DLC. I was planning on selling it but there wasn't a code for the DLC in the box. Is it in the game case? I haven't opened it as I wanted to sell it in the Buy/Sell thread as new and I just hoped someone here bought the same bundle and would know.

Shanks said:
Kind of a side question I hoped I could get answered here. I bought the PS3 Call of Duty bundle and I have no interest in Black Ops or the DLC. I was planning on selling it but there wasn't a code for the DLC in the box. Is it in the game case? I haven't opened it as I wanted to sell it in the Buy/Sell thread as new and I just hoped someone here bought the same bundle and would know.

It comes on a slip of paper inside the games' case.

zam

KoreanBarbecue said:
I seriously tip-toed around those engines the first time I ran by them. Thought they would toast me. :)
Me too, those things are running at full blast :p They kinda missed an opportunity there by blocking people from going out on the plane from that direction by having the engines turn on and off now and then. But then again most of the map gimmicks in black ops are either useless or annoying (whole map shaking when the rocket on Launch takes off) so I'm not that bothered by them not putting any in.

I missed the debate on camping, darn :(

I hate how useless Valkyrie Rockets are in this game. For an 7 kill streak, its outdone by most of the lower killstreaks in terms of usefulness. I think Treyarch should swap out Valkyrie Rockets for the the Death Machine, or the Grim Reaper, at least I think both are appropriate as a reward for a 7 killstreak.

Wait, there are three map packs available for this now?

I only bought the first one. And all four of the maps in it are my least favorite maps (aside form Nuketown).

My playtime for this game has dropped off considerably, but that's because my playtime for video games in general has dropped off.

Last night, though, I put this game in and had a great 90 minutes. CoD just feels right. I don't care what the Battlefield elitists say, CoD is the better multiplayer game for me. I tried Bad Company 2, tried it for quite a while actually. Everything feels right about it and I don't care that in 4 months I'll buy MW3 and start the whole treadmill over again. I'm looking forward to it, actually. I'm not a dudebro and I'm not a jock or a stereotypical loud-mouthed Live player. I just love this game.

So about the two map packs I don't have - is one better than the other? Or should I buy them both?

Last night I was having really good games and I realized it was because the truly hardcore players had bought the maps, and I was no longer in the same playlists as them. And it felt good man. All that's left for me is the 13 year olds who don't have a credit card to buy new map packs.

computers putin' said:
I missed the debate on camping, darn :(

I hate how useless Valkyrie Rockets are in this game. For an 7 kill streak, its outdone by most of the lower killstreaks in terms of usefulness. I think Treyarch should swap out Valkyrie Rockets for the the Death Machine, or the Grim Reaper, at least I think both are appropriate as a reward for a 7 killstreak.

Eh, I've had some pretty good luck using Valkyries, although the most kills I can typically get from two rockets are 2-3 kills. I love the Death Machine but that thing is way over-powered. Got a 14 kill-stream with one the other day. I love it, but it kind of breaks the game, too. :)

Milly79

Fleet_of_Foot said:
Wait, there are three map packs available for this now?

I only bought the first one. And all four of the maps in it are my least favorite maps (aside form Nuketown).

My playtime for this game has dropped off considerably, but that's because my playtime for video games in general has dropped off.

Last night, though, I put this game in and had a great 90 minutes. CoD just feels right. I don't care what the Battlefield elitists say, CoD is the better multiplayer game for me. I tried Bad Company 2, tried it for quite a while actually. Everything feels right about it and I don't care that in 4 months I'll buy MW3 and start the whole treadmill over again. I'm looking forward to it, actually. I'm not a dudebro and I'm not a jock or a stereotypical loud-mouthed Live player. I just love this game.

So about the two map packs I don't have - is one better than the other? Or should I buy them both?

Last night I was having really good games and I realized it was because the truly hardcore players had bought the maps, and I was no longer in the same playlists as them. And it felt good man. All that's left for me is the 13 year olds who don't have a credit card to buy new map packs.

From what I understand, you're making it sound like Nuketown was in First Strike (when it was a shipped mapped - just nitpicking, nothing serious).

Anyway, the general consensus is that Escalation and Annihilation are much better than First Strike.

zam

Milly79 said:
Anyway, the general consensus is that Escalation and Annihilation are much better than First Strike.
I agree. First Stike was pretty meh, but Escalation and Annihilation have really good maps. Love Convoy (Escalation pack) and Drive-in (Annihilation pack). Overall I think Annihilation is my favorite of the three blops map packs.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
thezerofire said:
Freshly amazed at how horrible the netcode is.

It's always surprising to me too, everytime I try to play again. I'd rather be blown up by noobtubes and shanked by knife runners than shoot at my enemy to not watch them die. MW2 is more fun for this reason alone. Hell, even W@W is more fun right now.

rezuth

So I played some MW2 for the second time since Black Ops and it was something else. Lets ignore the fact that a guy turned around mid air and scoped me through a wall which he could not have known I was behind.

The game pace feels super fast now that I have been playing Black Ops, for some reason it feels like Black Ops nails the pacing a lot better than MW2.

MW2 looks A LOT better and runs a lot smoother. I'll rather have a sub HD experience if it means it looks and feels better tbh.

MW2 was a lot of fun minus the obvious cheaters and people who wanted skill shots... Oh and don't get me started on kill streaks stacking or the broken matching system...

LeMaximilian said:
It's always surprising to me too, everytime I try to play again. I'd rather be blown up by noobtubes and shanked by knife runners than shoot at my enemy to not watch them die. MW2 is more fun for this reason alone. Hell, even W@W is more fun right now.

I don't know man, World At War is in a pretty depressing state right now.

Personally I think it's pointless to compare both MW2 and BO. They both have their advantages and disadvantages.

I played MW2 for a year, I will play BO for a year, and when MW3 is out, I'll play that for a year. Luckily, I have room on my shelf for more than one game.

zam

LeMaximilian said:
It's always surprising to me too, everytime I try to play again. I'd rather be blown up by noobtubes and shanked by knife runners than shoot at my enemy to not watch them die. MW2 is more fun for this reason alone.
Yeah, I only played blops for like a month after its release, then went on to other games and then back to MW2 for a long time. Totally prefer MW2 over Blops. But I came back to blops about 1-2 months ago and I dunno if it was just the time away from it but it wasn't as bad as I remember. Blops is fun but imo MW2 is more fun, gonna keep playing Blops for a while though, trying to get to 15th prestige (I like having a goal to play towards).

LeMaximilian said:
It's been pretty damp on the population numbers, but the night I did play there was a healthy 6k online.

The numbers are still fine, but there's usually a hacker in every match. It's so annoying. I hope Treyarch releases a patch....but I doubt they will

divisionbyzorro said:
Black Ops vs Modern Warfare 2 is really a "grass is greener" situation. Or perhaps "pick your poison" is a more apt description.

Probably the most accurate description I've seen.

The switch between WaW and BO and back made me realise that BO does indeed have a dodgy base engine, but I can't say I notice it much. IF WaW gets a patch I'll probably go back to that full time. I stopped on 100,000 kills exactly though, so I'd be breaking my 'NEVER AGAIN' vow... = (

A little aside: I got a survey from the Call of Duty Elite thing. It looks like because I don't have a 360 I'm not qualified to give my opinion on it. Shut the whole survey down when I said I only had a Wii and PS3. A little odd.

Anyone else feel like they're nearing the end of their time with CoD?

It's been happening more frequently. No matter what, just after a few matches the boredom starts to set in. I usually switch over to CoD4 to get my fix, but like WaW, it has been ruined by modders. What does GAF do to get over the hump?

OdysseusVA said:

It's been happening more frequently. No matter what, just after a few matches the boredom starts to set in. I usually switch over to CoD4 to get my fix, but like WaW, it has been ruined by modders. What does GAF do to get over the hump?

Funnily enough, the latest map-pack has enlivened my COD experience for the first time since launch week. The bigger maps are more my style so I guess that helps the entertainment factor. They're a flanker's dream.

I think this will be my last COD, though. Unless IW pull something miraculous and make up for the abomination that was MW2, I'm happy to finish off my COD career with BO acting as an impressive book-end. No Treyarch, no sale in my case.

my feeling is that BO has more balanced maps than MW2 and fewer exploits, but MW2 had more fun guns and mechanics (and means for unlocking stuff), and better netcode.

OdysseusVA said:

That's how i feel. I can have more fun on Halo Reach even though I hate it compared to Halo CE/2/3.

zam

It appears to be double XP in blops this weekend.

thezerofire said:
my feeling is that BO has more balanced maps than MW2 and fewer exploits, but MW2 had more fun guns and mechanics (and means for unlocking stuff), and better netcode.
I like MW2s maps better, but to each his own I guess.

Kermit The Dog said:
Funnily enough, the latest map-pack has enlivened my COD experience for the first time since launch week. The bigger maps are more my style so I guess that helps the entertainment factor. They're a flanker's dream.

I think this will be my last COD, though. Unless IW pull something miraculous and make up for the abomination that was MW2, I'm happy to finish off my COD career with BO acting as an impressive book-end. No Treyarch, no sale in my case.

I have the previous map packs, though it never got to the point of how I felt when it first launched :/ I had thought for sure the Competitive playlist would do for me what the new map pack has done for you. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case.

May just be that time to move onto something else.

The Real Napsta said:
That's how i feel. I can have more fun on Halo Reach even though I hate it compared to Halo CE/2/3.

I jump on Reach every now and then, but the matchmaking is just as bad as CoD's (IMO). I can only take so much of the lag before I shut it down.

I played BO only for a month or two before I sold it and went back to MW2 (mostly Team Tactical which usually doesn't suffer from constant killstreak rewards). Even though BO did some good things to balance the game, the inferior netcode combined with poor sounds and outdated graphics made it feel like a step back in the series. Can't say I liked the maps that much either.

zam said:
It appears to be double XP in blops this weekend.

I like MW2s maps better, but to each his own I guess.
I think I could say it better: BO has more balanced maps, more ways around, fewer places to camp and maps that aren't based entirely upon watching choke points (Quarry for example). That said, I think they were more fun. If that makes sense.

That's my opinion on the whole thing: BO is more balanced, but MW2 was more fun.

Effect

Finally have a copy of the PS3 version of Black Ops coming. Should be here I hope by Tuesday. Been playing the Wii version all this time but wondering about map size. If someone has played both or just knows how much larger are the normal size maps compared to the Wii version?

Gotta say I'm looking forward to finally replaying the game the way it was meant to be seen. Especially without it being held back by the hardware.

Played a bit of WaW today. Didn't see a hacker all afternoon, which warmed my heart. I was on the end of some really shitty connections but the game was solid throughout and I had a tubload of fun utterly raping the assembled meatsacks. Some genius managed to obliterate my team on Roundhouse though, and because tank maps are my forte, much cursing was spewed forth haha.

I forgot how unstoppable MP40 + Jugg is though, that shit is unfair. :lol

aku:jiki

user_nat said:
Max level reached. Somewhat wish you could just keep leveling up forever.
I've been trying to complete all challenges since I hit 15th and I'm wishing for the opposite there... That they would ever end! Those game modes challenges are going to take the rest of my life! I've put in 10 days of playtime since I hit 15th and I still haven't completed the challenges for the mode I mainly play - but modes like HC S&D have as many challenges! Who the fuck did they think wants to play 10 days of HC S&D? :(

thezerofire said:
I think I could say it better: BO has more balanced maps, more ways around, fewer places to camp and maps that aren't based entirely upon watching choke points (Quarry for example). That said, I think they were more fun. If that makes sense.
I don't think it's possible for me to disagree more.

Kermit The Dog said:
Played a bit of WaW today. Didn't see a hacker all afternoon, which warmed my heart. I was on the end of some really shitty connections but the game was solid throughout and I had a tubload of fun utterly raping the assembled meatsacks. Some genius managed to obliterate my team on Roundhouse though, and because tank maps are my forte, much cursing was spewed forth haha.

I forgot how unstoppable MP40 + Jugg is though, that shit is unfair. :lol

This post has inspired me to throw W@W in later tonight. If I find a hacker, I will hunt you down.

or I will just cry

:lol

270389_10150225121466519_571596518_7308700_6647064_n.jpg

On Summit, nonetheless. You KNOW Chopper Gunners suck on this map.

Emperor Bohe said:
This post has inspired me to throw W@W in later tonight. If I find a hacker, I will hunt you down.

or I will just cry
I tried playing some hard core search and destroy that seems to be where the 360 modders lurk, really sucks too since thats my main gametype. Hackers have to ruin everything man, what is most irritating is the stupid losers talking shit, saying you suck

Effect said:
Finally have a copy of the PS3 version of Black Ops coming. Should be here I hope by Tuesday. Been playing the Wii version all this time but wondering about map size. If someone has played both or just knows how much larger are the normal size maps compared to the Wii version?

Gotta say I'm looking forward to finally replaying the game the way it was meant to be seen. Especially without it being held back by the hardware.
tried the wii version, and the levels weren't too much smaller, they just had certain areas closed off, but pretty sure the levels are pretty much identical

Effect

Mr Nightman said:
tried the wii version, and the levels weren't too much smaller, they just had certain areas closed off, but pretty sure the levels are pretty much identical

Thanks. Got a chance to play a bit and outside of Havana they all did looked the same. Would have though more would be different to be honest. Good on Treyarch's part. Considering the size of some of the other maps I don't get why that one was changed on the Wii. Maybe they couldn't get the open corners to look decently enough in terms of textures or something. Oh well.

Being killed for a chopper gunner for the first time was interesting. I had no clue what happen at first until I looked up after respawning only to be killed again. Thankfully I have habit (from B:BC2) of trying to shot down everything in the sky when I can so it didn't last to long and neither did the other one that appeared later in the match. :)

Sadly I ended up trading the game on Goozex. I got better at the controls (so I wasn't being completely dominated) but simply wasn't having any fun. SP wise I was fine. Aim assist and targeting assist make things easier to play. Online is another story. Graphics and smoothness of play were great but they weren't enough. I did pick up Killzone 3 with a Move controller set and that works a lot better for me so I was playing some of that last night. For BO I'll just stick with the Wii version. Here's hoping MW3 gets Move controls or that Wii version hinted at via boxart from PDP (Headbanger headset makers) is true in the end.

Went to Vegas the past couple of days and got a chance to shoot a few of the guns I use in the game - M16, MP5, as well as some I don't - MP40, Thompson, SAW. Not really game related I know, but man, those guns were pretty awesome. I'm pissed, though, as they didn't have the AUG or FAL ready to shoot, even though the place's website said they did. :(

Top Bottom