• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

aku:jiki

Strider2K99 said:
Yep, it's happened already.
When? It's not in the patch list on the official forums and I haven't noticed a lick of difference. Not even a slight difference.

Debanton said:
Who cry foul after they get whupped.
To be fair, though, they probably were having a very laggy match and a good reason to cry foul. It's Black Ops, after all.

kuYuri

aku:jiki said:
When? It's not in the patch list on the official forums and I haven't noticed a lick of difference. Not even a slight difference.

It's this update I believe:

6/23/11
(Title Update 10)
• Security Updates.
• New playlists – Flags and Bombs
• C4 can no longer be warped to player carrying bomb in S&D and Sabotage.
• Removed erroneous “Reset to Default” message when trying to load a DLC map you do not have.
• In-game icons (care package icons, etc) no longer appear in the Create A Class menu.
• Support for Annihilation map pack, available June 28th on Xbox LIVE!
• Fix for a rare crash related to weapons.
• Game no longer crashes when Xbox LIVE servers are down.
• Additional weapon balancing.
• Ninja Pro Perk no longer makes sounds when mantling or diving to prone.

The bolded part. Trust me, you aren't the only one to think that there's no noticeable difference, but it was definitely implemented with the above update.

karlhungis

Neo Member
I am fairly new to the game and I am tired of being on lousy teams. I would love to play with some gaffers sometime. Maybe I can get one of you to show me how to actually succeed on the jungle map, that one eats my lunch every time.

PS3: karlhungis

Has anyone here got into Call of Duty Elite? Im kind of gutted because I signed up the day it was possible to do so but I dont think my sign up went through because going through it now it asks you for a linked gamertag, it never did that last time.

EDIT: I really hate how they make modifications to the game but dont have a splash page Halo Reach style to announce changes. Luckily my weapon of choice hasnt been touched yet, but it seems like it would throw people off to have theyre weapon modified overnight.

karlhungis said:
I am fairly new to the game and I am tired of being on lousy teams. I would love to play with some gaffers sometime. Maybe I can get one of you to show me how to actually succeed on the jungle map, that one eats my lunch every time.

PS3: karlhungis

Add me: Korean B B Q

I'll be out all this week at Comic-Con for work, but when I get back I'm down to play some.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Had my first night of good connections in almost 3 weeks. This game is a lot of fun when you aren't 3 or 4 steps behind everyone else.

Stantron

I just got my Elite beta invite. If you watched the walk through video, it's pretty much what you expect from that. I love looking at stats so I'm really digging it. The user interface is pretty slick.

zam

Stantron said:
I just got my Elite beta invite. If you watched the walk through video, it's pretty much what you expect from that. I love looking at stats so I'm really digging it. The user interface is pretty slick.
Speaking of the walkthrough video, towards the end the guys who made Elite mention something along the lines of "there are 30 million CoD-players, but only 2 million people signed up for the beta, we need more people to beta-test", so why don't they send me a beta-invite? :(

TheExodu5

Banned
momolicious said:
How come at 1080p everything maxed i average about 90 fps but with BFBC2 which seems to have better graphics, i can average over 100 fps.

Because Black Ops runs like absolute shit. My old GTX 275 rig got around 200fps in Modern Warfare 2. It got closer to 40-50fps in Black Ops.

They really screwed up the engine on the PC side.

kuYuri

zam said:
Speaking of the walkthrough video, towards the end the guys who made Elite mention something along the lines of "there are 30 million CoD-players, but only 2 million people signed up for the beta, we need more people to beta-test", so why don't they send me a beta-invite? :(

They will, in waves. Although I don't know if signing up early guaranteed you access.

TheExodu5 said:
Because Black Ops runs like absolute shit. My old GTX 275 rig got around 200fps in Modern Warfare 2. It got closer to 40-50fps in Black Ops.

I tried it out a bit during the Steam free weekend some weeks back, and it seemed to run great on my machine.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9505 2.83 GHz
4GB of RAM
GTX 560 Ti

Had something weird happen to me for the first time tonight. Saw a friend online playing a Hardcore TDM match, so I joined the session. I'm an idiot and never play Hardcore, so I proceed to play basically the way I normally would - run and gun. I end up getting to 16-2 k/d, drop a Care Package, get a B52, call it in and kill four of the enemy team.

Suddenly, bam, I'm tossed out to the main menu with a "you've been kicked from the session" message. I try to re-join and I get a "you've been banned from this session." Was able to get right back into regular old TDM with no problems. Did I get kicked by players in the match? I'm confused...

kuYuri

KoreanBarbecue said:
Had something weird happen to me for the first time tonight. Saw a friend online playing a Hardcore TDM match, so I joined the session. I'm an idiot and never play Hardcore, so I proceed to play basically the way I normally would - run and gun. I end up getting to 16-2 k/d, drop a Care Package, get a B52, call it in and kill four of the enemy team.

Suddenly, bam, I'm tossed out to the main menu with a "you've been kicked from the session" message. I try to re-join and I get a "you've been banned from this session." Was able to get right back into regular old TDM with no problems. Did I get kicked by players in the match? I'm confused...

Hmm, I've gotten kicked out of a hardcore match by the game once for team killing. Maybe you accidentally killed some people on your team and was kicked as a result?

KoreanBarbecue said:

Console or PC?

If console, that's baffling. Strider could be on the money though. Two or three teamkills is an auto-ban I believe.

aku:jiki

I played some yesterday and realized why I don't notice a difference with the FAMAS - I always use Sleight of Hand on it, doh!

Speaking of the FAMAS, XboxAhoy is back!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmJXXkv_fKY

Strider2K99 said:
They will, in waves. Although I don't know if signing up early guaranteed you access.
I think bobs99 is right on the last page - the sign-up page is entirely different now. zam and I probably signed up too early, back when it was just a box for your e-mail and nothing else. Now you need a cod.com account and link your console profile to sign up for the beta.

kuYuri

aku:jiki said:
I think bobs99 is right on the last page - the sign-up page is entirely different now. zam and I probably signed up too early, back when it was just a box for your e-mail and nothing else. Now you need a cod.com account and link your console profile to sign up for the beta.

Yeah, I noticed that too, so I knew I wasn't crazy. Looks like we got screwed. :/

Stantron

zam said:
Like any proper beta, it's beneficial to have a limited number of people look at the system and provide feedback before releasing it to the masses. That way, you minimize redundancy. Hold tight guys. There doesn't seem to be many people in the system yet. So if you signed up early, you should be good to go. Remember that they're releasing invites in waves over the next few weeks.

zam

KoreanBarbecue said:
Got my XP ticket and work is paying for it. Can't beat that!
Damn, I wish I could go, playing paintball on a life-sized multiplayer map sounds awesome. Sadly I'm a poor uni-student and a trip halfway across the world isn't in my budget.

darthbob

TheExodu5 said:

How did World at War run?

Remember, Black Ops doesn't utilize the updated MW2 engine, but rather a slightly updated World at War engine. (yeah, they're basically all the same, but MW2's iteration was newer)

Kermit The Dog said:
Console or PC?

If console, that's baffling. Strider could be on the money though. Two or three teamkills is an auto-ban I believe.

Console, but I guess the team kill thing makes sense. I must have inadvertently killed some of my team dudes with my B52. :( That's what I get for rocking a Care Package, I guess.

Holy shit. El Presador and Wings of Redemption had a nice little feud on Twitter today. Wings started talking shit about him and Presador went nuts.

@WORICP said:
why does el pres even to to come at me? 1 v 1? That would be like me playing a 5 year old
@WORICP said:
@MitchellClark25 dont need to be smarter i can stand in the middle of the map and just out shoot him. He has no concept of recoil control
@WORICP said:
Let me help Captain Beastblood start out with someone in your dexterity range 1 v 1 Askacapper. If you beat him i'll think about it
@WORICP said:
I put askacapper in there because I feel he is a better shot and player than el pres. He has a way higher k/d
@IRRELEVANT4LI4E said:
@WORICP Lmao u mad fatboy
@IRRELEVANT4LI4E said:
@WORICP so you think you can beat me in a video game I beat you in life son
@WORICP said:
@IRRELEVANT4LI4E why because i weigh more? You can run faster than me? when does things like this matter?
@IRRELEVANT4LI4E said:
@WORICP when does video game stats matter. when it's your life and apparently it's yours
@WORICP said:
@IRRELEVANT4LI4E dude i'm worth probably 15 x your net income how about those stats. I'm flying across country to play black ops
@WORICP said:
@IRRELEVANT4LI4E you fly across your living room to choke a imaginary slave
@IRRELEVANT4LI4E said:
@WORICP n you weigh 400 pounds and your a cheeseburger away from a heart attack.Lmao sucks to be you fatty
@WORICP said:
@IRRELEVANT4LI4E you know being overweight is a kingly trait. That is why I wear the purple dress shirts and silk pants. Hail to the king bitch
@IRRELEVANT4LI4E said:
@WORICP king of what bitches. you're the most sensitive person on the net. send you an abused by your people. but without them you have nothing
@IRRELEVANT4LI4E said:
@WORICP your mad because your video sucks everyone makes fun of you on the net and it really gets to you. you begg for views and likes.Lmao
@WORICP said:
@IRRELEVANT4LI4E I ask for views and likes because its helpful. If my videos suck so much why did my channel launch yours and help you
@WORICP said:
@IRRELEVANT4LI4E get noticed how about that video that is still on your channel thanking me for helping you improve your game
@IRRELEVANT4LI4E said:
@WORICP you beg me to subscribe to you 2 years ago like a nerd. face it in the real, your nobody on youtube your a hero too nerdy lil fat kids
@WORICP said:
@IRRELEVANT4LI4E I play with my heart and I give everything to everything I set my sights on. I want to help someone I help them.
@IRRELEVANT4LI4E said:
@WORICP you play with your heart new video game I do this for entertainment I could care less about my stats.Lmao you play with your heart in you still suck camper
@WORICP said:
@IRRELEVANT4LI4E matta fact where is your pussy? since you harping on my weight? What does your weight benefit?
@IRRELEVANT4LI4E said:
@WORICP I don't have to put anything on the net I dictate what happens here. you accept it like a good lil boy fatty
@WORICP said:
@IRRELEVANT4LI4E sounds like you're already asking me to back down?
@WORICP said:
I'm about to start playing some of that new dlc for fallout new vegas I hope my level 8 character can take it on very hard
@IRRELEVANT4LI4E said:
@WORICP no 1 cares what you play. you're a has been. this isn't 2009 sun.Lmao
@IRRELEVANT4LI4E said:
I must have really been under his skin for him to attack me like that. Nerdy little fat kids your hero just got humiliated

These are grown adults.

They're both grown adults but Wings is deadly serious about everything he does and has no sense of humor. He's an insecure fat dude who subconsciously knows his COD skills are all he has.

Pres is just a master troll and does it for the laughs. He's entertaining and he knows it, and it's all tongue in cheek.

Stantron

78650252.png

... and yet every single game is laggy as fuck. I'm seriously tired of this shit.

Stantron said:
... and yet every single game is laggy as fuck. I'm seriously tired of this shit.
I assume you play on PC but nevertheless I have good speeds on the consoles when I connect to my network but recently I had begun to have major problems too.
Not sure if it works the same on PC, (again, assuming that's what you're playing on) but you should make sure your NAT type is OPEN, that was my problem and now all my games are lag-free!

Sorry if that been already covered but i can't find an answer any where, my dad has bought the Escalation Map Pack for the PS3 but the maps aren't showing in the map lists. The box is ticked in the store menu and he's downloaded the correct version but they still don't show, has any one else had this problem?

Nabs

Syph Medwes said:
I assume you play on PC but nevertheless I have good speeds on the consoles when I connect to my network but recently I had begun to have major problems too.
Not sure if it works the same on PC, (again, assuming that's what you're playing on) but you should make sure your NAT type is OPEN, that was my problem and now all my games are lag-free!

I'm willing to bet he's talking about a console (or both).

Mr Solo Dolo said:
Sorry if that been already covered but i can't find an answer any where, my dad has bought the Escalation Map Pack for the PS3 but the maps aren't showing in the map lists. The box is ticked in the store menu and he's downloaded the correct version but they still don't show, has any one else had this problem?

You 100% sure about this? Sounds to me like it isn't. Check the blu-ray/box again for the region code.

Kermit The Dog said:
They're both grown adults but Wings is deadly serious about everything he does and has no sense of humor. He's an insecure fat dude who subconsciously knows his COD skills are all he has.

Pres is just a master troll and does it for the laughs. He's entertaining and he knows it, and it's all tongue in cheek.

Pretty much. Even if he contradicts himself all the time, I just love watching Presador's videos, just fun to watch imo.

I actually randomly was put into matches with him last week in MW2. Unfortunately, he didn't have his mic on, but he responded to me on twitter and uploaded one of the videos.

Its amazing how much carnage you can cause with a good team. Played with a group of 5 other 2.5+kd guys yesterday and we just killed it. I had a 49-0 match on Drive-In lol. So much fun.

Stantron said:
I'm on 360, open NAT, port forwarding and all.
Cross my fingers MW3 will be different.
Sorry then, I've never had any problems on 360.
If nothing seems to help you may as well try assigning a static ip to your xbox and then enabling DMZ on your router to that ip. I haven't tried that personally though.

Stantron

Syph Medwes said:
Sorry then, I've never had any problems on 360.
If nothing seems to help you may as well try assigning a static ip to your xbox and then enabling DMZ on your router to that ip. I haven't tried that personally though.
I already have a static ip set for the xbox, but I hadn't tried DMZ before. I had to look it up what it means actually. Earlier this evening, I enabled DMZ on my router and set it to the xbox's unique ip address, and played for a few hours. I didn't notice a difference. The extent of lag varied depending on the match, but it always does that. Thanks for the tip though. I'm always glad to try something new if it might work.

Effect

It's weird. My ping can be all over the place on the PC version of the game compared to the Wii version and my brief experience with the PS3 version. Managed to find a few servers though that worked well. Surprisingly two belong to two clans that also have Bad Company 2 servers that work well for me. One's pure Domination and the other TDM so that works out well.

How do the Steam names work? My steam profile name is NeoStar9X if anyone wants to add me. That can be changed though. So if one does change it does it get reflected on another person's list if they added the person that goes on to change their name?

I only have two issues with the PC version of the game. Just jumping into a match ala consoles is gone. I like the server browser but sometimes I don't want to use that but just pick a type and get matched. Joining the a ranked match it seems throws you into random match. Is there a way to filter that?

The other issue I have is the ADS. If there a way to make it so you have to hold the mouse button to bring it up and when you release it goes away?

It's crazy how well the game runs for me. Didn't expect it to optimize settings by itself though. Expected I'd have to mess around with them. However my graphics keep getting messed up whenever I go to a server that has Nuketown. Doesn't happen at all with other maps. So I have to shut the game down and reopen it when that happens.

zam

Stantron said:
78650252.png

Blops' netcode is crap, I'm playing on 100mbit down/10 up and even with 4 bars (or even host) the game can still lag. MW2 was much better in that regard, if I had 4 bars there then I could be sure it would be relatively lag-free, blops is all over the place, no matter how many bars you have.

Nabs

Effect:

-I think there's a toggle ADS and a regular ADS button in the menu. Get rid of toggle and see if that changes anything.

-If your ping is all over the place, I dunno why you'd want to join a random game anyway. It's best to find good servers on your own and favorite them. Then joining a good one is easier than finding a good game on any other platform.

-If you want people to add you to Steam, give them a link to your community page. If you don't have one, make one.

GenericUser

Stantron said:
78650252.png

its not the bandwith that matter that much, its more the ping time you get what makes the difference. For example, i live in germany, obviously have a <50ms ping to everybody aroung me in the game and i almost never experience any lag.

Stantron

sponk said:
its not the bandwith that matter that much, its more the ping time you get what makes the difference. For example, i live in germany, obviously have a <50ms ping to everybody aroung me in the game and i almost never experience any lag.
What's considered a good ping to have? The xfinity speed test says I have 10 ms ping. Sounds way too low to be trusted. But like zam mentioned, if Blops' netcode is crap, then it doesn't matter anyway.

Ballistik

Haha I played 5 FFA games and I admit I was host, but everyone had green bars. I just checked my weekly leaderboard for FFA and I'm ranked 21!!

I had an insanely fast game on Nuketown, if any of you guys are interested, I'll upload it.

Strider2K99 said:
Yeah, I noticed that too, so I knew I wasn't crazy. Looks like we got screwed. :/

Looks that way. :/ I wonder if they just totally deleted all those initial sign ups? I could sign up again using the same email so im guessing odds look bad.

Effect

Nabs said:
Effect:

-I think there's a toggle ADS and a regular ADS button in the menu. Get rid of toggle and see if that changes anything.

-If your ping is all over the place, I dunno why you'd want to join a random game anyway. It's best to find good servers on your own and favorite them. Then joining a good one is easier than finding a good game on any other platform.

-If you want people to add you to Steam, give them a link to your community page. If you don't have one, make one.

Thanks. Don't know how I missed that option in the settings. Things are a lot better now.

kakashi08

I have black ops on steam. and my pc has great hardware (i think) and its still running it really slow, is there some setting i need to do ?

This is my hardware:
Intel Core 2 duo E8500
4gb ram
Radeon HD 4870

Shouldn't that run the game smoothly?

I have the resolution of the game set to 1920x1200, even at 1080p it runs slow fps.

Why?

Top Bottom