• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

DoomGyver

JB1981 said:
so the online performance issues are likely attributable to lag and are not framerate-related?
I think the vast majority of the issues are being caused by launch day lag. When a couple red bars join the room things bog down.

Huggers

I must have really low standards or something, the PS3 version seems completely fine to me, tiny bit choppy here and there but really a very long way from game breaking

Nizz

JB1981 said:
so the online performance issues are likely attributable to lag and are not framerate-related?
I'd love to know too.

Full Recovery said:
I think the vast majority of the issues are being caused by launch day lag. When a couple red bars join the room things bog down.
I hope that's the case, thanks for answering Full. :)

Risette

A Good Citizen
Can someone try a private match or bot match to see if the performance issues are due to lag or actual framerate problems on the PS3 version? I want to know this before I open the game.

Erasus

Full Recovery said:

Not on PC.

Really have to wait for DF to do an analysis to comment on console framerates.

Risette

A Good Citizen
So the PS3 version is apparently lower res too (and yet people are still reporting framerate issues, good job Treyarch)
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1491995&postcount=1138
Welp, based on that shot, the PS3 edge indicates 540 vertical. The 360 is at a higher resolution than that (different, but not too far from 1024x600).

I'm still looking for longer stretches before I give anything more exact than that, but that's the gist of it.
Definitely returning my copy now. Sigh.

backflip10019 said:
Really? That never happened to you? That baffles me. I played through like 7th prestige I think and that used to happen all the time. I've killed a guy only to have him spawn 10 feet behind me and kill me. You've really never killed a guy and then seen him immediately again?

Maybe it's because I only played TDM? Honestly never even noticed it. As for this game I haven't seen it as much since I made that post earlier. Game is pretty damn fun.

EDIT - except nuketown, that map is a piece of shit.

Animator

My impressions so far:

SP: Boring and terrible. I am 3 missions in and the teammate AI is non existant. I will speed run the campaign to unlock the zombie map and never touch it again.

MP: fucking AMAZING. Love the changes they made, this game is a million times better than mw2. Been playing for 6 hours and havent died once to a cheap kill.

Nizz

brain_stew said:
540p!? :lol

That's less vertical lines than PAL SDTV ffs. PC and PS3 versions are nothing more than an afterthought, no doubt about that now.
I guess the ads were right "The best way to play Black Ops is on 360". :0
:(

TheOddOne

theignoramus said:
in what way? You mean eery?
A)
Was that Lee Harvey Oswald on the monitors when you ''freeze''? I swore I saw him.
B)
When JFK starts talking too you, you glitch like always, but at one moment you have a gun and you point it and shoot JFK.

X26

Banned
I never played W@W so I'm not sure how zombies works. You ge tmoney for killing them, I know that but how do you beat the map? I consulted the manual, but it's about as worthless a manual as you can get with a game

aku:jiki

X26 said:
I never played W@W so I'm not sure how zombies works. You ge tmoney for killing them, I know that but how do you beat the map? I consulted the manual, but it's about as worthless a manual as you can get with a game
You don't, it keeps going forever.

J-Rzez

Good thing I have it gamefly'd for the PS3 only if the performance issues are that significant. I was going to get it on PC if I found the MP interesting enough with the changes (and the changes did sound interesting), but if people are saying it too is an after-thought like the PS3, then looks like no sale for Trey, because I'm sure as hell not getting the 360 version because my 360 puked and my free subscription to Live is up now too.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
JB1981 said:

Launch day lag. Always with COD

snap0212

Did anyone at Treyarch comment on all the problems everyone is experiencing? Yesterday I was sure that the PC version will be the “best” version followed by the PS3 and 360 versions which I thought were going to be on par. Yeah, I usually don’t care about pixel counting and I wouldn’t be surprised if 80% of the people bitching about a lower resolution on platform X wouldn’t even notice if the lines were not counted. The game looks good and that’s all that matters. Some of you really make it look like game X is not worth playing, because of a lower resolution. And then you bitch about PC-GAF, because they talk about 15,000 frames a second at 4000p.

Anyways; what Treyarch did is a fucking joke. Do it right or don’t do it at all.

purple cobra said:
I guess the ads were right "The best way to play Black Ops is on 360". :0
:(
It may be the “best”, but you’ll still have a good time on the PS3. Especially if you only own a PS3. Just wait for Treyarch until the fix the frame rate problem and buy the game then. Or rent it for the Singleplayer. Or don’t buy it if they don’t Patch it. The best thing you can do is to rent it, see if you like it and then buy it used. They don’t deserve your money. ;-)

Xater

Just finished the campaign. Despit the shit I said about Treyarch before this game, this time their SP is actually better than the one IW delivered with their last game.

Only played a couple of matches online earlier today and ha dno lag problems. A few hours ago though I was not even able to play online. I gues the servers are overloaded.

I really don't know why I bought the game. Probably for the MP experience, yet curiously after I reached 70 in MW2, I stopped playing it. I've played a few matches online on this and the experience is generally similar from what I've gathered and I'm worried that I'll stop playing it in a couple of months. It's great fun, don't get me wrong, but it's more of the same and I'm not sure whether the setting or maps is so far that is drawing me back

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Before the release this thread was scaring me, but I'm having a great time with the game (360 version). Multi is a blast and the graphics are fine for me in SP.

Meus Renaissance said:
I really don't know why I bought the game. Probably for the MP experience, yet curiously after I reached 70 in MW2, I stopped playing it. I've played a few matches online on this and the experience is generally similar from what I've gathered and I'm worried that I'll stop playing it in a couple of months. It's great fun, don't get me wrong, but it's more of the same and I'm not sure whether the setting or maps is so far that is drawing me back
a couple months replay for a game? what a terrible purchase

X26

Banned
could be a chance some of you guys with the ps3 version are jumping to conclusions, I'm playing on the 360 and have had my fair share of horribly laggy games

Tamanon

Banned
Yeah, I really had a blast with my few hours of multiplayer last night. Although I certainly seemed to get the Jungle map a ton, it's a good map. Once I was able to unlock weapons, my Enfield with Red Dot has been great for me. Now to start breaking the mold on what perks I use, no sense sticking to old standbys.

Oh yeah, and it's PS3 and looks just fine to me, the Multiplayer looks better than MW2 imo, especially the other people.

Is anyone with the PC version having issues with the game just completely pausing for a few seconds in multiplayer? I am just wondering if it is a lag thing or a technical problem.

Nizz

snap0212 said:
Did anyone at Treyarch comment on all the problems everyone is experiencing? Yesterday I was sure that the PC version will be the “best” version followed by the PS3 and 360 versions which I thought were going to be on par. Yeah, I usually don’t care about pixel counting and I wouldn’t be surprised if 80% of the people bitching about a lower resolution on platform X wouldn’t even notice if the lines were not counted. The game looks good and that’s all that matters. Some of you really make it look like game X is not worth playing, because of a lower resolution. And then you bitch about PC-GAF, because they talk about 15,000 frames a second at 4000p.

Anyways; what Treyarch did is a fucking joke. Do it right or don’t do it at all.

It may be the “best”, but you’ll still have a good time on the PS3. Especially if you only own a PS3. Just wait for Treyarch until the fix the frame rate problem and buy the game then. Or rent it for the Singleplayer. Or don’t buy it if they don’t Patch it. The best thing you can do is to rent it, see if you like it and then buy it used. They don’t deserve your money. ;-)
Too late, the game just got here from Amazon! :lol I'm just surprised at the impressions of PS3 people about the framerate. Nothing leading up to the game's release would lead me to believe that framerate would be a problem. W@W (I believe, I don't own it) and MW2 were pretty much identical online so the thought never occurred that things could be different for Black Ops.

Hopefully it's just issues related to first day lag and it gets patched up. I gotta get some things out of the way, but then I plan on hopping on later tonight and see for myself. ;)

ZeroRay

belvedere said:
Was MW2 PS3 lower res than 360 too?

No. Lower framerate and some effects toned down but everything else was the same.

Disappointing job Treyarch.

My copy probably won't come today since it's still in Memphis and I'm in Florida, first time release date delivery failed me.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Sorry if this is a repeat question, but is the SP campaign less of a clusterfuck compared to MW2? It was way too hectic at times, with enemies pegging me from all directions and that awful jelly screen covering up my view.

Plasma

Banned
Guess I'm going to have to wait for a PC patch before I can play MP, every time I get into a match I can play about 5 minutes and then my ping goes to 999 and I can't play any more.

TheOddOne

Snuggler said:
Sorry if this is a repeat question, but is the SP campaign less of a clusterfuck compared to MW2? It was way too hectic at times, with enemies pegging me from all directions and that awful jelly screen covering up my view.
Yeah, its still the same.

DevelopmentArrested said:
a couple months replay for a game? what a terrible purchase
I was thinking the same thing. even if I don't play this game anymore after I reach the max level before Prestiging...the reality is that would have taken me a couple of hundred HOURS.

what form of entertainment will grand you 100 hours of entertainment for $60? fuck man, that's $0.06/hour. :lol a movie ticket is is about $7/hour right now. I've bought movies for $20-$30 that I've only watched once since I bought it. Any game that lasts longer than its single player experience pays for itself in entertainment time.

belvedere

Junior Butler
ZeroRay said:
No. Lower framerate and some effects toned down but everything else was the same.

Disappointing job Treyarch.

My copy probably won't come today since it's still in Memphis and I'm in Florida, first time release date delivery failed me.

That's what I thought. Looking at B3D it appears the 360 is only at 1024X600, not much higher, but both totally inexcusable this late in the generation.

Guess I'll be playing this on PC with fewer friends but a much better experience.

Aon

darkressurection said:
Is anyone with the PC version having issues with the game just completely pausing for a few seconds in multiplayer? I am just wondering if it is a lag thing or a technical problem.
I was getting this every half minute around australian peak time, but only once every ten around midnight. This may just be a coincidence though. Still, hopefully it is just a load issue :D

Xater

belvedere said:
That's what I thought. Looking at B3D it appears the 360 is only at 1024X600, not much higher, but both totally inexcusable this late in the generation.

Guess I'll be playing this on PC with fewer friends but a much better experience.

Especially considering that this is not the first COD game this gen. Not even the first by Treyarch.

Top Bottom