• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

belvedere

Junior Butler
Xater said:
Especially considering that this is not the first COD game this gen. Not even the first by Treyarch.

No shit, I mean wtf.

So does SP run at the same res with added effects or at a higher res?

f0rk

How are you meant to play wager matches with a bunch of friends on PC? That part of the browser doesn't find any servers.
It's annoying having to invite everyone to servers as well, it has it's own poorly designed interface and no real integration with steam friends.

Das-J

Law of the West
Dammit the Olympia is devastating at close range!

I'm seeing some lag on the PS3, but my biggest gripe is host migration... really wish they would step up and get dedicated servers already...

kitch9

Banned
brain_stew said:
Wait so rendering the scene twice for S3D mode actually increases performance!? Wtf!? :lol

Yeah, I think its something do with how SLI handles 3d rendering....One card handles one eye, and the other the other eye...Overall fps is less, but it just feels smoother..

belvedere

Junior Butler
The Dutch Slayer said:
so on the last few games I played in unranked servers I did not get any xp to my progression at the end of a map...

Does anyone know what is up with that?

Launch week MP.

DryvBy

Full Recovery said:
PS3 version is saying 655,024 people currently online.

This is due to the fact that most people that can afford a PS3 have jobs and don't call in sick for a game release. :lol

Or it could be that the PS3 version is busted, like I keep reading. I'm still at work and dreading the MP being busted tonight. Guess I'll have to play SP or just watch Scott Pilgrim on Blu-ray tonight.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I really like the presentation of the single player, especially when it blacks out all the starting info to show the level, character, and date.

Hixx

Really, really disappointed with the campaign so far. Feels like everything that I disliked in MW/WaW/MW2 condensed into one game. The first mission in
Vietnam, the section with the napalm barrels, was a lesson in frustration.

Only after did I find out that the 'set-piece' that allows you to progress seems to randomly glitch and not occur.

CoD is reknown for being hectic but this game has just been non-stop. There's no pacing or flow, you're just constantly getting shot at from all directions. I don't think I'll try veteran, Hardened will be enough for me. Also the cutscenes are fucking terrible, the MW ones are simple but not headache inducing at least. The voice distortion etc... ugh.

Multiplayer however is awesome. Couple of maps where spawning is a real issue but I've not come across anything too cheap yet. HQ on Jungle is a blast, you need to be completely aware, just so many ways to get to each HQ.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Pretty disappointed with the MP, it's not terrible, but with all the shouting people have been doing about how it's fixed all the problems, it's a huge letdown. Also don't think I've seen a single person using an assault rifle for the past few games, no real need to when the LMG still have no recoil.

.nimrod

Do people really think Treyarch is gonna release a patch that increases the framerate on ps3? Has any dev ever done this on consoles?

If it was that easy it would've been in the retail version... :/

The Dutch Slayer said:
so on the last few games I played in unranked servers I did not get any xp to my progression at the end of a map...

Does anyone know what is up with that?
Isn't that what 'unranked' means? o_O

Raiden

Banned
Ikuu said:
Pretty disappointed with the MP, it's not terrible, but with all the shouting people have been doing about how it's fixed all the problems, it's a huge letdown. Also don't think I've seen a single person using an assault rifle for the past few games, no real need to when the LMG still have no recoil.

Really? What game are you playing? Because everybody is using the M16 at this point, maybe because im still low level .. but really.

played some online matches on the ps3 and it's not that great... unfortunately. I rather play MW2..

Some maps are indeed very .. laggy or slow. I also feel i have to sqeuze the controller and press the buttons real hard to get things done.
AAAAaaaand, it looks bad online.

MMaRsu

Meus Renaissance said:
I really don't know why I bought the game. Probably for the MP experience, yet curiously after I reached 70 in MW2, I stopped playing it. I've played a few matches online on this and the experience is generally similar from what I've gathered and I'm worried that I'll stop playing it in a couple of months. It's great fun, don't get me wrong, but it's more of the same and I'm not sure whether the setting or maps is so far that is drawing me back

Start playing Reach with me buddy

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Raiden said:
Really? What game are you playing? Because everybody is using the M16 at this point, maybe because im still low level .. but really.
Most people I see are using the MP5, or the AK SMG.

GunGame was a bit of a disapointment (not that much fun when it's so easy to kill people with any weapon), bit of a check for the game to consider knifing someone to be humiliating when it's one of the easiest ways to kill someone.

I was 5th prestige in Mw2, but I don't see myself bothering with Black Ops. It's more appealing at this point to try to buy absolutely everything for every gun, since you won't see everything in the game in a single 0-50 run.

Xux

Ikuu said:

WTF. The first three LMGs have a ton of recoil. And I've seen way more Famas' than any of the later LMGs. Might be a level thing, though.

kuYuri

I also ended up double dipping on the PC version from Amazon, after getting the 360 version from Best Buy midnight, and the majority of the impressions of the way PC runs is worrying me.

Should I continue to keep it sealed until a patch is released or what?

Also, is the 360 version the only one that isn't completely messed up for people? I've had no real technical problems with it so far.

aku:jiki

Played a bunch more Gun Game and realized something that really annoys me - the draw times for the weapons is exactly the same as in regular matches, and the game keeps spawning you right on top of enemies to "keep the action going." This means you constantly end up running into two guys, killing one, auto-switching weapons and then dying because it doesn't switch fast enough. Not that fun. :(

I think the weapon balance is just fine.

And I haven't seen a SINGLE person use an LMG yet outside of a search and destroy match.

Digging the maps other than nuketown...but I always hate small maps.

jiien

Fuck, did anyone else have Amazon switch versions on them? I could have sworn I bought the PS3 version, since I don't even own a 360, and I think that with all the nonsense they were doing with switching around preorder bonuses and whatnot, I opened up my package to find the 360 version. FUCK. So upset.

Hype and excitement become rage.

MMaRsu

JB1981 said:
rented pstriple version at blockbuster .. had tons of copies .. will post impressions later.

You don't have a 360? All I keep reading is the triple version is more framedrops.. sucks for the Ps3 users :(.

Was the second level a homage to Terminator on multiple levels!? :lol Felt like a total badass.

Is the SP really CoD? I don't know but it's fun so far. Just as much CoD as MW2 at least. Both are batshit crazy with far fetched stories. WaW and older are much more grounded.

Also M14 + flamethrower is beast! Love that shit.

oneHeero

purple cobra said:
Too late, the game just got here from Amazon! :lol I'm just surprised at the impressions of PS3 people about the framerate. Nothing leading up to the game's release would lead me to believe that framerate would be a problem. W@W (I believe, I don't own it) and MW2 were pretty much identical online so the thought never occurred that things could be different for Black Ops.

Hopefully it's just issues related to first day lag and it gets patched up. I gotta get some things out of the way, but then I plan on hopping on later tonight and see for myself. ;)
A lot of us are saying its lag. I just dont see any framerate problems in SP, only in MP when ping is bad. I played on lunch and got no problems besides connecting to game lag and small lag. No frame rate issues that I can see at all.

EDarkness

Scarecrow said:
c'mon Amazon. Launch day is almost done. Where's my delivery ;_;

I'm having the same problem. Says it is going to get shipped on the 10th, yet the day is almost over and the status hasn't changed. Looks like it won't ship until tomorrow or something.

I'm liking SP and MP so far. I think they need t mix up to formula a little bit. I remember liking CoD4 much more, even thought this is improved in every way. Maybe it was the newness of it all.

Xater

oneHeero said:
A lot of us are saying its lag. I just dont see any framerate problems in SP, only in MP when ping is bad. I played on lunch and got no problems besides connecting to game lag and small lag. No frame rate issues that I can see at all.

Yeah I did not have any framrate issues either and I played every part of the game.

Played PC single player for several hours earlier and everything is fine for me apart from one bug I came across. I haven't come across any frame rate issues in particular and everything seems to run pretty smooth.

Xater

BTW the biggest diappointment for me is that there are really just 3 zombie maps. The third one is Dead Ops Arcade. DOA is fun but I would have preferred a third real zombie map instead.

Has anyone figured out where to get Code 115 in the second zombie map? I was wondering how to progress through that door.

Wait a minute now wait a minute...

I've heard you can play as Castro, JFK or RICHARD FUCKING NIXON IN THE ZOMBIE MODE...AND...AND THEY EVEN THROW OUT ONE LINERS. TRUE!?

Xater

Sato Koiji said:
Wait a minute now wait a minute...

I've heard you can play as Castro, JFK or RICHARD FUCKING NIXON IN THE ZOMBIE MODE...AND...AND THEY EVEN THROW OUT ONE LINERS. TRUE!?

100% true.

McNamara is also in.

Top Bottom