• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

Domino Theory said:
How many missions are there in total in the Campaign and do you get an Achievement for completing each mission on Veteran?

(Going through the Campaign on Veteran first time through; already on the 4th mission)
17 ish. Not an achievement for every mission but like one per 3 missions.

ZZMitch

I cannot beat the Vietnam level... there is this one point
where you have to get some ammo and there are waves of NVA soldiers charging you
and I literally cannot do anything. I am on regular difficulty and I just cant beat this part, I tried going to the ammo crate... but eventually enemies just surround me and I die from fire on all sides. I have no idea what to do.

Rich!

PoweredBySoy said:
PC version is absolutely fucked. All of my graphical settings are cranked down, yet the lag takes me to literally 5 fps when enemies appear on the screen.

It'll get smoothed over eventually, but it's unplayable in its current state.

This is odd, because apart from one match with ridiculous ping, I've had absolutely no issues and it's been smooth as silk.

And I've got it at 1080p, V-Synced, with 4xAA, full AF and everything on high/extra.

ZZMitch said:
I cannot beat the Vietnam level... there is this one point
where you have to get some ammo and there are waves of NVA soldiers charging you
and I literally cannot do anything. I am on regular difficulty and I just cant beat this part, I tried going to the ammo crate... but eventually enemies just surround me and I die from fire on all sides. I have no idea what to do.
go up to the barrels in the middle of the hill and hit x. there should be 2-3 one of them.
again the game does a TERRIBLE job telling you what to do here.

ZZMitch

DevelopmentArrested said:
go up to the barrels in the middle of the hill and hit x. there should be 2-3 one of them.
again the game does a TERRIBLE job telling you what to do here.

Well shit, thanks.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
17 ish. Not an achievement for every mission but like one per 3 missions.

But in the end you need to do all missions on Veteran for the Achievement, yes? I just want to make sure I don't have play on this absurd difficulty any more than I have to. :p

Nelo Ice

Banned
aku:jiki said:
After spending all night with the game, I'm impressed by also a little disappointed. They've spent time to fix a lot of things, and added many new interesting elements, but they didn't really think everything through...

Something that annoyed me right now:
I've been working on a contract for about 30 minutes straight, and it's not a very fun one. I needed to score 75 shotgun kills in 40 minutes. First of all, that contract is inherently unfair because you don't get to pick your map, so you can easily end up losing 5-10 minutes because the game picked a non-shotgun map... Second of all, the game still throws you into games that you have no hope of ever winning, or even doing decently in, meaning you lose 5-10 minutes of your 40.

It's not a huge deal and I'm not saying the game sucks, but it's just...really fucking dumb. :/

i did the same challenge though i had to use the olympia
just play ffa and u should get the 75 kills easy
i did it with this class which im sure everyone is using at least for that contract :lol
perk 1:lightweight
perk 2:steady aim
perk 3:marathon

Animator said:
Absolutely loving this game. All the changes done to the MP were for the better.
i agree. except buying attachments for each weapon sucks. also, if you like one of the earlier level guns, there is very little incentive to rank up except for unlocking cosmetic shit.

Mayyhem said:
Multiplayer is the fucking shit!

Love the changes, game takes a lot more skill than MW2 to get those high Kill/Deaths
factually correct. BUT i feel like people always say that when the game first comes out. check again in a few months when you're really good at the game.

My copy arrived broken out of the box (i.e. Xbox was only recognizing it as a DVD and wouldn't play) so I'm glad Amazon makes replacement so easy. Gonna be a bummer having to wait longer though.

richisawesome said:
This is odd, because apart from one match with ridiculous ping, I've had absolutely no issues and it's been smooth as silk.

And I've got it at 1080p, V-Synced, with 4xAA, full AF and everything on high/extra.

Yeah, I make sure all of my pings are <50, but it doesn't help. I did have one match a couple hours ago where it was relatively smooth, and that was fun, but 99% of the servers I join are unplayable.

I'll get 1-2 fps upon entering the server, and that takes about 10 seconds to go away (it makes choosing your class a game in itself). Then I'll get 40-60 fps when nothing is going on, but once I get near some action the frames drop into the teens.

E8400 @ 3.6
GTX 460
4 GB

I don't think it's hardware though, but more server load. Not sure why your experience is so smooth, because all of my friends are having the same issues I am. We've given up for now.

TheExodu5

Banned
gpuz.png

Was getting varying framerates, from 25-60fps. CPU usage never maxed out. GPU usage barely above 50%. This is in the singleplayer game.

I have:

Q8300 @ 3.0GHz
GTX 275
4GB RAM
Windows 7 64-bit

W1SSY

I played split screen earlier today and have to say that at least on the PS3 it takes a serious hit on frames per second. It got to points when a lot of stuff was happening almost stuttering to a complete stop.

Other then that I am enjoying the game. I like the FAMAS a good bit but have yet to try it in hardcore. Last night I was having trouble staying in a group with friends but nothing as bad as how it has been in previous games.

Weenerz

Banned
Kabuki Waq said:
I cant even launch it through steam because servers are too busy :lol

Ugh, whats with treyarch and them taking their time to even acknowledge the issue? Fix my game, I must kill commies!

Rich!

PoweredBySoy said:
Yeah, I make sure all of my pings are <50, but it doesn't help. I did have one match a couple hours ago where it was relatively smooth, and that was fun, but 99% of the servers I join are unplayable.

I'll get 1-2 fps upon entering the server, and that takes about 10 seconds to go away (it makes choosing your class a game in itself). Then I'll get 40-60 fps when nothing is going on, but once I get near some action the frames drop into the teens.

E8400 @ 3.6
GTX 460
4 GB

I don't think it's hardware though, but more server load. Not sure why your experience is so smooth, because all of my friends are having the same issues I am. We've given up for now.

My specs:

AMD 3.2ghz Quad Core Phenom X4 955 overclocked to 3.6ghz
4GB RAM
Radeon 6870

I also live in the UK, and have been playing on UK servers.

Animator

i agree. except buying attachments for each weapon sucks. also, if you like one of the earlier level guns, there is very little incentive to rank up except for unlocking cosmetic shit.

I actually like that a lot. It allows you to spend some time witch each weapon you buy and make an investment.

I am definitely addicted to Famas + silencer right now but going to be trying some new weapons as soon as I finish its unlocks.

I am now trying to customize my Famas with camos and my own label designs. It is so much fun.

R2D4 said:
Is it just me or does this game look just like World at War. Why do Treyarch games look a little off compared to COD4 and MW2? Same engine. Shouldn't look the same. It's just not as sharp as MW2.

I agree 100% and I would have trouble verbalizing why. Just the colors, models, the whole look. MW2 seem to have more style and be more visually tasty, Treyarch's efforts are more bland and basic in comparison.

WyndhamPrice said:
My copy arrived broken out of the box (i.e. Xbox was only recognizing it as a DVD and wouldn't play) so I'm glad Amazon makes replacement so easy. Gonna be a bummer having to wait longer though.

That sounds more like a dying DVD drive than a messed up disc.

Tokubetsu

jonnybryce said:
I agree 100% and I would have trouble verbalizing why. Just the colors, models, the whole look. MW2 seem to have more style and be more visually tasty, Treyarch's efforts are more bland and basic in comparison.

But more balanced HEY-O

GlamFM

Banned
Just finished the game on hardend - my favourite COD campaign to date.
Put 6 h into MP - Maps are mostly huge. It will take a lot of time to learn them.
Design wise the maps look and feel great.
Customization options are awesome.
Spawn system is a mess - hoping for a fix.
Music in MP is really good.
Cold war feeling works!

Treyarch has become the A team and I´m not sure if what´s left of IW can keep up with that.

Great GREAT game

just my quick impressions..

GlamFM

Banned
Domino Theory said:
Do you get COD points per match as part of the Match Bonus or is it strictly from leveling up, Contracts and Wager Matches?

I think it´s a certain percentage of the match bonus.

aku:jiki

One more initial complaint, then I'm gonna go back and have some fun with Gun Game. :D

Who came up with the idea that everyone should start the game with nothing but smokes and nothing but Lightweight on all classes? Every match has 50 smokescreens and everyone's a supersoldier on crack flying around at light speed... And GAF thought it was bad in MW2 when 1-2 guys per match had Lightweight? Try everybody having Lightweight! :lol no wait... :( :(

Nelo Ice said:
i did the same challenge though i had to use the olympia
just play ffa and u should get the 75 kills easy
i did it with this class which im sure everyone is using at least for that contract :lol
perk 1:lightweight
perk 2:steady aim
perk 3:marathon
I don't think you really got my point there.

aku:jiki said:
One more initial complaint, then I'm gonna go back and have some fun with Gun Game. :D

Who came up with the idea that everyone should start the game with nothing but smokes and nothing but Lightweight on all classes? Every match has 50 smokescreens and everyone's a supersoldier on crack flying around at light speed... And GAF thought it was bad in MW2 when 1-2 guys per match had Lightweight? Try everybody having Lightweight! :lol no wait... :( :(

That's why you buy new perks and equipment? You make it sound like it's always that way.

DrBo42

Talked to some testers and apparently the game was a broken mess throughout development and Treyarch were adding things to the very end of the process. 360 was main sku and everything else got a sloppy port. Local testers didn't even go over the campaign, that was handled by testers in Canada. :lol

Reave

DrBo42 said:
Talked to some testers and apparently the game was a broken mess throughout development and Treyarch were adding things to the very end of the process. 360 was main sku and everything else got a sloppy port. Local testers didn't even go over the campaign, that was handled by testers in Canada. :lol
I think it turned out damn good. Treyarch, job well done.

Teknoman

GlamFM said:
Just finished the game on hardend - my favourite COD campaign to date.
Put 6 h into MP - Maps are mostly huge. It will take a lot of time to learn them.
Design wise the maps look and feel great.
Customization options are awesome.
Spawn system is a mess - hoping for a fix.
Music in MP is really good.
Cold war feeling works!

Treyarch has become the A team and I´m not sure if what´s left of IW can keep up with that.

Great GREAT game

just my quick impressions..

Theres music in MP now?

Top Bottom