• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

DRE Fei

Spawns definitely need to be fixed. It's like everything is set up for a revenge kill. Shit makes no sense. Furthermore, footsteps barely make any noise in this game so basically everyone has ninja/dead silence. The weakness of ninja prevents it from dominating that 3rd tier like it did in mw2 and IMO that's a good thing. I'm running with marathon and hacker almost exclusively in that slot, but I can see much more potential there.

Just remove the sniper rifles already. Seriously, they're novelty weapons at this point just like the shotgun, except the shotguns have some practical use if you set up the right class. There are 3 halfway decent sniper maps in the game if you can really even call them that. These IMO are Havana, Jungle and Villa. When you consider the bizarre thing they've done with the sway (when you initially scope in) and the weird hit boxes in this game, it seems as though their efforts to nerf quickscoping have handicapped the class even more. Treyarch clearly wants you to set up shop and watch choke points from a distance, but this class is almost useless in what I believe is a run and gun game.

With the exception of the sniper rifles, everything else seems fine. We'll just have to wait until people find the new bullshit.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
How long is the singleplayer campaign?
Same as every COD — about 6-8 hours depending on your play-style and difficulty.

Loxley

Well, color me disappointed in the PC version at the moment. I can run MW2 at max settings with little to no noticeable performance issues in Single Player (I have to crank the textures down slightly in MP) but Black Ops is damn near unplayable. Completely. I have to crank the serttings down to as low as they can possibly go and I'm probably getting anywhere between 15-25 FPS.

I know earlier people were talking about the PC version not using resources properly or something along those lines? That it was potentially some sort of hiccup in the game's coding somewhere? I just don't see how I can go from completely 100% playable with MW2 to fucking mess with BO since it's the same goddamn engine :(

robot

Anyone have this problem in the first mission in campaign?

I'm making my escape when a BTR comes crashing through the wall. Every time I take it out w/ a rocket (since it's shooting my face off) the game ends because "my actions got my teammates killed." I've done it a few times and never see any of my guys die or even get taken back by the blast. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Am I not supposed to fight this thing?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Loxley said:
Well, color me disappointed in the PC version at the moment. I can run MW2 at max settings with little to no noticeable performance issues in Single Player (I have to crank the textures down slightly in MP) but Black Ops is damn near unplayable. Completely. I have to crank the serttings down to as low as they can possibly go and I'm probably getting anywhere between 15-25 FPS.

I know earlier people were talking about the PC version not using resources properly or something along those lines? That it was potentially some sort of hiccup in the game's coding somewhere? I just don't see how I can go from completely 100% playable with MW2 to fucking mess with BO since it's the same goddamn engine :(

There is something wierd going on for sure cause I was running it at 1920x1200, 8xMSAA, 16xAF and all details maxed out at a completely constant 60 fps.

Maybe it doesn't like certain drivers or cards?

Been playing this since I got home at 1 am last night... It's amazing. Fun, well-paced, balanced... I've seen nothing that makes me go "WTF Way Overpowered" in any way. No lag except that which I inflicted on my nephews by browsing GAF as they played S/S online :lol . Game is amazing. The customization is perfect. I'm loving tiger camo w/blue and green sights :]

DrBo42

Loxley said:

It may be the same engine but it's a different developer working on it. IW worked years with that engine, I assume Treyarch had to deal with a learning curve while making BO. That would explain a lack of polish but the performance and netcode I can't really explain. I really have no idea what happened there. The worst part is that now they have to scramble to appease the community, which will no doubt introduce fun issues as a result.

Sinatar said:
There is something wierd going on for sure cause I was running it at 1920x1200, 8xMSAA, 16xAF and all details maxed out at a completely constant 60 fps.

Maybe it doesn't like certain drivers or cards?

Yup me too, runs smooth as buttah

DrBo42 said:
It may be the same engine but it's a different developer working on it. IW worked years with that engine, I assume Treyarch had to deal with a learning curve while making BO. That would explain a lack of polish but the performance and netcode I can't really explain. I really have no idea what happened there. The worst part is that now they have to scramble to appease the community, which will no doubt introduce fun issues as a result.
It's not Treyarch's first game using the engine.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I don't even think Sam Worthington's american accent is as good here as it was in Avatar, and it was bad there.

Dragon's Breath is pretty insane :lol

And yeah, the engine's gotta go for the next game. Indoor/close-quarters combat still functions well but the outdoor stuff is woefully dated.

Y2Kev said:
I don't even think Sam Worthington's american accent is as good here as it was in Avatar, and it was bad there.

He just can't shake the Aus can he. There's one line in the first mission which is him going all out Aussy. :lol

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
DrBo42 said:

I don't think Netcode was one of the engines stronger points.

Mully

UPS.png

9:10PM - Black Ops has yet to be delivered.

I am not doing Amazon release day delivery again.

GQman2121

Banned
Mully said:

For a second I thought I was in the GT5 thread and got really excited. :lol

God damn it. :(

DaBuddaDa

Zapperkhan said:
To be fair, it's not Amazon's fault. They don't do the delivering...
Not really, it is their fault for advertising a service they can't fulfill through their shipping partners. It's UPS's fault for not delivering in time and Amazon's fault by using UPS.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think the game's on easy mode. The second mission with the shotgun is like...just aim anywhere and you'll kill everything.

Mully said:
UPS.png

So your problem with Amazon is that they shipped out exactly as they said they would? Call UPS and ask where your package is.

clav

Mully said:
UPS.png

They'll deliver tomorrow.

UPS only delivers until 7-8 PM.

UPS fail, not Amazon. Yes, Amazon uses UPS, but I bet they have a cheap contract they signed with them.

nbraun80

A few of my thoughts and impressions:

-The party system seems messed up at times, where it's kicking friends out and leaving some behind.

-I'm not a fan of just buying titles that I want, I liked it better when you unlocked something, and it's fun to go and see what it is. Now all I'll do is buy the one I want and not bother with the rest.

-where the spawning is bad, I also feel like the maps are kinda small, and on some of the maps that are bigger, some parts are never really used.

-I also don't like the option to play the last map, We just played that one, give us some different options!

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Y2Kev said:
I think the game's on easy mode. The second mission with the shotgun is like...just aim anywhere and you'll kill everything.

Turn off the autoaim for the campaign. Makes it so much more rewarding.

Mully

claviertekky said:
They'll deliver tomorrow.

UPS only delivers until 7-8 PM.

UPS fail, not Amazon. Yes, Amazon uses UPS, but I bet they have a cheap contract they signed with them.

Of course it is UPS' fault. The delivery center is 5 minutes from my house. However, Amazon advertised a release day delivery. I paid for the service, and I did not get what I paid for. The delivery process didn't start until 6PM last night. I don't know the delivery business all too well, but that is too damn close to call to when the expected delivery should be.

DaBuddaDa said:
Not really, it is their fault for advertising a service they can't fulfill through their shipping partners. It's UPS's fault for not delivering in time and Amazon's fault by using UPS.
Wouldn't judge it off this one experience. But hey, whatevs. I'm lucky then, 1/2 the time my stuff comes in before 9A.M.

How is lag for non-US players?

I remember MW2 originally tested your connection against US only and then was changed to test connection against local players instead, which really improved things.

codswallop said:

I remember MW2 originally tested your connection against US only and then was changed to test connection against local players instead, which really improved things.

I've only played one game (UK) but it was smooth as fuck.

codswallop said:

itll be great for you because the game gives european players host 99% of the time

I have tomorrow off and I wanted to get into this game. I'm considering just buying it for Xbox 360, and trading it in for the huge amount of credit it will still be worth after a fair amount of time with it.

It seeming to some that the PC problems might run pretty deep, in a manner similar to GTA 4. Overall, if I go and buy the xbox version, I see how this is no different than when I bought MW 1, traded in after a month, and eventually ended up getting into the PC version months down the line.

Top Bottom