• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Coldplay headlining Super Bowl 50 Halftime Show

Status
Not open for further replies.

collige

Banned
I'm still dumbfounded that Kanye has never been asked. He's only one of the best performers alive and has a catalog so overflowing with stadium rattlers that he could go an hour without dipping into B level stuff. #FreeYeezy

NFL isn't dumb enough to risk another wardrobe malfunction-level clusterfuck. He'd do something outrageous.

tj hazuki

If anyone seens them live you know this is going to be fantastic. I hope they do a few songs on there new album. Everglow, Up and Up

Revolver

I just know they're going to have those backup dancers in cheap monkey suits like the AMA's again. That was horrific.

Josh5890

I figured it was going to be a bunch of people celebrating the past 50 years of music/football. Could still be that I guess.

Better than Katy Perry and Bruno Mars, I approve.

I mean what other huge act could they really get at this point who hasn't already done it? Van Halen?

amnesiac

Coldplay's first four albums are fantastic. Don't care what anyone says. Viva La Vida is one of the best albums of the 00s.

RoKKeR

Right after they put out their worst album...great...

Regardless, they still have some great songs and I became interested in them after listening to a live album, so I have to give them credit for being a great live act.

I'll probably stand alone in this camp, but I was hoping Fall Out Boy would get the gig. They're modern, popular, and actually have the energy & hits to fill a big stage show like this. Plus it'd be easy enough to load the spectacle up with guest stars.

I'll probably stand alone in this camp, but I was hoping Fall Out Boy would get the gig. They're modern, popular, and actually have the energy & hits to fill a big stage show like this. Plus it'd be easy enough to load the spectacle up with guest stars.
DUDE FALL OUT BOY WOULD BE AMAZIIIIIING

I like you, friend!

Quonny

I'm right there with you. Save Rock and Roll had a TON of guest singers, hell, it'd be awesome to get Elton John up there with them.

Etzer

Oh snap. I gotta get to ATRL to read the reactions. Last I checked, they were convinced it was gonna be Britney Spears because they spotted her forehead in a commercial.

True. Some of their stuff from Save Rock & Roll gets played at games anyway.

Not really down on the Coldplay choice, but there are better ones I guess.

Quikies83

I remember working at The Gap during the holidays of 2000, the shift manager and I had become buds because of our common interest in music.. That was until he brought me a burned CD with I guess their debut.. Heard yellow..
Fuck coldplay 15 years later

As American as spotted dick.

Too bad that Grateful Dead petition didn't pan out. That would have been amazing to have the quintessential American Rock band playing the Superbowl for their 50th Anniversary.

As American as spotted dick.

Too bad that Grateful Dead petition didn't pan out. That would have been amazing to have the quintessential American Rock band playing the Superbowl for their 50th Anniversary.

Grateful Dead much more boring than Coldplay and Garcia is a skeleton.

CORRECTION: Jerry Garcia is not a skeleton as he was cremated.

Fall Out Boy played the Grey Cup this year. They're not nearly big enough of a deal.

Still waiting on Kanye :(

This is the perfect way to end this shit show of a season.

Coldplay isn't horrible, but I don't know how anyone thought it was a good idea to put a band with their style at the half time show of the Super Bowl.

Fall Out Boy played the Grey Cup this year. They're not nearly big enough of a deal.

Still waiting on Kanye :(

They also played the Pro Bowl halftime last year. I get the sense that they really want to do the Super Bowl, but their managers just cannot sell the network on it.

Which both does and doesn't make sense. They're a youth-focused act for sure (and draw a lot of ire from people for that) - but I've probably heard more of their recent stuff on the radio than Coldplay. I think they've got the popularity, but just don't have the credibility for the NFL to push the button. Shame

Kanye will never happen. You're giving the man 20+ minutes of live airtime during the biggest televised event of the year - it's a recipe for disaster. A legendary disaster for sure, but not one the NFL wants to deal with.

Floridian

Beyonce is joining Coldplay in headlining. Probably to promote Coldplay's song Hymn For The Weekend.

Sources confirm to Entertainment Tonight that Queen Bey herself, Beyonce, will join the band on-stage during their halftime performance at Super Bowl 50 on Feb. 7. Presumably, the group will deliver a live rendition of "Hymn for the Weekend," which is featured on their seventh studio album, A Head Full of Dreams, and features vocals from Bey.

Coldplay is fine...if they're first and second album Coldplay.

Otherwise...just another promising group turned shitty pop act.

Live Coldplay, hat football. I'll await a North American tour announcement.

1c17149fac158ad99b31e7d5cc698c35.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom