• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Basketball 2009-2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tritroid

bachikarn said:
This is hilarious: http://www.testudotimes.com/2010/4/24/1441173/some-of-you-will-enjoy-this-one

teague-calipari.jpg

Guy with fake Facebook account may have gotten star recruit to admit that Coach Cal is cheating.
'Yea' doesn't really prove much of anything though. It could have been that MT was agreeing to keep quiet about anything that might come up behind the scenes in the future, it doesn't automatically mean that something shady already has gone on.

It does kinda make MT look bad though.

bachikarn

Tritroid said:
'Yea' doesn't really prove much of anything though. It could have been that MT was agreeing to keep quiet about anything that might come up behind the scenes in the future, it doesn't automatically mean that something shady already has gone on.

It does kinda make MT look bad though.

yeah, it doesn't prove anything, but more fuel to the fire

Crisco

Banned
Fuck Kentucky. Fuck that crook Calipari. CJ Leslie just committed to NC State. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo:D :D :D :D :D :D

Seth C

Please tell me no one on GAF is either so completely, unbelievably stupid or so enraged with maddening jealousy of Kentucky that they actually think that is legit.

bill0527

That's not even Cal's facebook picture he uses on his page.

This is the picture he uses and its the same picture he has used since the day he opened his page last year.

album.php

q103368083911_6733.jpg

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
bill0527 said:
That's not even Cal's facebook picture he uses on his page.

This is the picture he uses and its the same picture he has used since the day he opened his page last year.

album.php

q103368083911_6733.jpg

did you miss the "fake Facebook account" part? Clearly the guy was trying to bait Teague into revealing something about Cal he shouldn't.

edit: if any of it is actually real, of course.

Aesius

Seth C said:
Please tell me no one on GAF is either so completely, unbelievably stupid or so enraged with maddening jealousy of Kentucky that they actually think that is legit.

:lol

Yeah, that's it.

SyNapSe

beelzebozo said:
1.667?

jesus, you've gotta really try to do that bad

If it was first year players I don't see how it's that bad. It sounds terrible but I don't know what you could do without a change to the length of time needed in college. As BBall becomes a more and more popular world-wide sport, those kids know they can go on to an incredibly lucrative career overseas at worst. Is it a bit short-sighted? Perhaps, but that's what kids do...

At 1 year, that must seem like a lifetime away from getting a degree anyway. Now if you required 2 or 3 years in school, I think we'd find different results. In this case, knowing you are going to be years away from a degree anyway, I imagine a lot of kids would let it slide and have even more fun.

I think it all runs back to Joel Pryzbilla. Am I the only one that remembers him basically dropping out of school because he knew that he was.. uh... tall?

well we know john wall didn't get the 1.666....

maybe it's Dodson and that's why all indications are he's leaving? I don't know, but Cal did say this semesters grades will be much better, so hopefully when they get released they get put on the front page of the paper as well.

a 1.666? just...an average of slightly higher than 2.0? these kids have private tutors! come on Cal, come on.

jjasper

Wiil that even affect the APR? If not then why the hell should Cal care? Its not like his reputation can get any worse. Probably helps recruiting too as the one and dones will know that they don't even have to worry about trying.

jjasper

Karakand said:
cal is like the best dude to hate it's just so easy

Speaking of:

Kentucky coach John Calipari called Jones after his announcement and Jones was on the phone for a very long time. About 15 minutes. Reading body language, Jones seemed pained.

He told me, "You hurt thousands of people just as much as you make people happy."

What a douche.

Apparently Cal can bring Lebron with him where ever he goes, so I'm fine with him coming to the Bulls under that condition. Then we watch the sanctions start rolling in for Kentucky.

In recruiting news, rumors abound that Bradley Beal is set to decommit from Florida due to an uninspiring incoming class and his buddy already having left UF for what looks to be Duke. Kansas would probably be his new destination. Blackshear (Louisville) is another rumored decommit, though I have no idea where he ends up, probably whichever dirty school bids the highest.

In current player news, Butler's Hayward to stay in NBA Draft. He probably feels his stock won't get higher than it is now staying another year in school, and I kinda agree.

I sure hope Avery Bradley changes his mind about going in the draft. He's definitely a player not ready for the NBA yet and if he stays in the draft he'll probably wind up playing overseas. who's going to want a guard that shoots 50% from the freethrow line?

GreekWolf

pxleyes said:
Can we stir the pot with rumors of Calipari being interested in the Chicago Bulls job?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-caliparibulls050410

Why yes, yes we can. :D
Memphis fans suffered through this foolishness every season, no matter what job became available... college, NBA and even Europe. Cal's posse always had his name in the mix, while simultaneously assuring the local media that he was perfectly happy and content with his current gig. It was bullshit then and it's bullshit now. Enjoy!

Bowser

Outdoor Miner said:
Wear twins transferring out of UNC.

Surprising because they were probably due a shit ton of playing time next season. Apparently they are homesick? Destination: UCLA?

Yeah, we're gonna be thin up front next season. We go from having Davis, Henson, Zeller, and the Wear twins to having just Henson and Zeller as true post players. We might have to play Barnes at PF some unless we can get a late commit or something.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Outdoor Miner said:
Wear twins transferring out of UNC.

Surprising because they were probably due a shit ton of playing time next season. Apparently they are homesick? Destination: UCLA?

I'm hearing that David is not going to be the same after his hip injury (compared to Bo Jackson) and the family wanted the boys closer to home.

They weren't anything special but UNC needed one or both of them to step up next year. Now they will have neither (nor Ed Davis.) Henson is going to be forced to play 4 out of necessity, much like Singler had to do for Duke early in his career (Kyle actually played 5 a lot too.)

Bowser

DJ_Tet said:
I'm hearing that David is not going to be the same after his hip injury (compared to Bo Jackson) and the family wanted the boys closer to home.

They weren't anything special but UNC needed one or both of them to step up next year. Now they will have neither (nor Ed Davis.) Henson is going to be forced to play 4 out of necessity, much like Singler had to do for Duke early in his career (Kyle actually played 5 a lot too.)

The difference is Henson played MUCH better at the 4 then he did at the 3 (which is where we started him this past season before moving him to 4 out of necessity due to Davis and Zeller's injuries). Henson just doesn't have the shooting ability nor the handles to play the 3.

giga

Tobi Oyedeji dropped his last friend off after prom night, called his father Mike and told him he was on his way home early Sunday morning.

The 6-foot-9, 220-pound, 18-year-old power forward from Bellaire High in Bellaire, Texas -- who was destined to be an impact player for Texas A&M in the fall and committed to studying engineering -- never made it to his house.

Oyedeji was in a head-on collision shortly after the phone call home and died after attempts at life-saving surgery weren't successful Sunday afternoon, according to Texas A&M coach Mark Turgeon.

"He was an only child," a distraught Turgeon said of Oyedeji, whose parents, Mike and Nikki, are said to be in immense emotional pain. "This is really tough on them. I'm just hurting so much for his mom and dad right now."

Turgeon said he didn't have any other details of the crash. He said he was in California early Sunday morning when he received the first phone call that Oyedeji had been in an accident and was in intensive care heading into surgery. Turgeon said a few hours later, as he was boarding his flight back to Houston, he was told that Oyedeji died.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5193746

recruit_i_oyedeji_sy_400.jpg

Wow, this is horrible. RIP.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
awful.

i was just talking to a friend about len bias earlier and how shitty it is to see such a great thing go so toe-up before it even begins.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Bowser said:
The difference is Henson played MUCH better at the 4 then he did at the 3 (which is where we started him this past season before moving him to 4 out of necessity due to Davis and Zeller's injuries). Henson just doesn't have the shooting ability nor the handles to play the 3.

No doubt. I remember before the season started and some mocks had him as a possible top 10 pick as a 6'10 2-guard :lol

I watched some early games looking for this Henson kid and could never find him. He did come on strong at the end though once they started playing him in the post. He's got a nice touch around the rim and can finish with both hands. I expect him to be a major contributor next season for the Heels.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
bucsfan0210 said:
Lets remember that these aligations came from before Cal was coach at Kentucky, so it wasn't Cal, if anything its Billy G.

No. Cheatapari was recruiting him for Memphis. Bledsoe followed the coach. Kentucky fans, prepare for your school to go on probation and for your coach to be in the NBA. Damn, he didn't even make it a full year without getting caught cheating!

bachikarn

Not surprised about Bledsoe. He was ready to commit to UF, but our admissions and compliance office wouldn't get anywhere near him. Seems like a nice kid though.

giga

A copy of Bledsoe’s high school transcript from his first three years reveals that it would have taken an improbable academic makeover — a jump from about a 1.9 grade point average in core courses to just under a 2.5 during his senior year — for Bledsoe to achieve minimum N.C.A.A. standards to qualify for a scholarship.
Fun fact: I brought my GPA up from a 1.45 to a 2.6 in three semesters after getting abused by BME at Tech and switching my major.

bill0527

chuckddd said:
No. Cheatapari was recruiting him for Memphis. Bledsoe followed the coach. Kentucky fans, prepare for your school to go on probation and for your coach to be in the NBA. Damn, he didn't even make it a full year without getting caught cheating!

Let me guess... Louisville or Memphis fan.

Have you been able to accomplish anything so far on this Memorial Day weekend, outside of masturbating furiously with glee?

Just as with Derrick Rose, once again, the NCAA cleared Bledsoe to play. How exactly is this Calipari's fault? Any coach out there would have done the same. Yeah, UK may end up paying the price for it, but Calipari and the University had absolutely nothing to do with the shit that Bledsoe may or may not have done in high school. Its the NCAA's job to clear these athletes to compete. If they fuck this up again, then what exactly are those people at the NCAA clearinghouse doing with their time? What they should do is set up their own testing center administered by the NCAA. They should be the ones to give out the SAT and/or ACT exams to a potential student athlete. Do it in their own house, under their own rules and eliminate any thing like this ever happening.

It just seems a little unfair to hold a school accountable to things that may have happened years before a student athlete gets on campus. I don't care what school it is, even if its a rival school that I hate.

NewLib

Banned
beelzebozo said:
as a kentucky fan, not sure how to feel about all this.

To be honest I dont care. They can strip wins away and punish a school for taking in a kid who was dirt poor who might have gotten some help from a high school coach which neither the college nor NCAA had any idea about until after the fact. All the while, NCAA giggles at the idea of taking serious action against rampant cheating by schools such as Southern California and Oklahoma.

If Eric Bledsoe took that money, I cant blame him. His story was a sad story and Im glad to see that he is going to be able to help his family by making millions in the NBA.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
bill0527 said:
Let me guess... Louisville or Memphis fan.

Have you been able to accomplish anything so far on this Memorial Day weekend, outside of masturbating furiously with glee?

Just as with Derrick Rose, once again, the NCAA cleared Bledsoe to play. How exactly is this Calipari's fault? Any coach out there would have done the same. Yeah, UK may end up paying the price for it, but Calipari and the University had absolutely nothing to do with the shit that Bledsoe may or may not have done in high school. Its the NCAA's job to clear these athletes to compete. If they fuck this up again, then what exactly are those people at the NCAA clearinghouse doing with their time? What they should do is set up their own testing center administered by the NCAA. They should be the ones to give out the SAT and/or ACT exams to a potential student athlete. Do it in their own house, under their own rules and eliminate any thing like this ever happening.

It just seems a little unfair to hold a school accountable to things that may have happened years before a student athlete gets on campus. I don't care what school it is, even if its a rival school that I hate.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Wrong on every count.

How is it Cheatapari's fault? He fucking PAID someone to take Rose's SATs. He fucking PAID Bledsoe's rent. He looked the other way when Marcus Camby was driving a Benz around campus. Are you for real? Do you honestly believe that Cal just has some kind of crazy bad luck and half the kids he recruits are in trouble and he has NOTHING to do with it?

How is it Kentucky's fault? They should've known better. Cal has brought down two schools already, why on earth would you line up to be number three? Is college bb relevance that damned important that you'd throw away your reputation? Apparently, the answer is yes. The worst part is the fans, like you, agree!

Take off the blue sunglasses and see the light, brother!

chuckddd said:
How is it Cheatapari's fault? He fucking PAID someone to take Rose's SATs.
and we can now safely say we have a joke poster.
chuckddd said:
He fucking PAID Bledsoe's rent.
did you even read the allegation by the nyt? did you?

anyway, all major writers basically say this is a non issue. ksr has a lot of good points about it:

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/?p=52984
http://kentuckysportsradio.com/?p=53039
http://kentuckysportsradio.com/?p=53084

the jist being 1) no proof he didnt cheat to get his grades up, 2) no proof on the apartment rent, but even if so, 3) espn agrees 4) everyone has been trying for this story since the fall 5) the ncaa looked into it in february and hasnt since 6) bledsoe was uber-vetted by both UK and the ncaa 7) on the academic front he would've been eligible grade-wise to play another year at UK, showing he has the ability if he applies himself 8) nyt dumped it on friday night of memorial day weekend - if they thought it was a major program-hurting story you don't dump it like that 9) i could keep going but honestly.

depending on how the review goes, IF there even is a review, we could lose a game, probably. bledsoe is apparently planning on suing whoever broke privacy law by handing out his high school transcripts like candy to the media. and uk is beyond confident nothing will come of this, despite dana o'neil's espn 'source w/knowledge of the rules' (forde?) saying they could end up forfeiting a season.

and i figured all this out by doing some reading yesterday, having been on a cross country roadtrip the last 9 days. tempest in a teapot is probably the best way to view this.

and honestly, "cheatapari"? HE paid someone to take Rose's SAT? HE paid bledsoe's rent? hell, the rent allegation ALONE was said to occur before he or anyone else was recruiting the kid, and even then billyG began recruiting him, not coach cal, at that early point in the game. it's almost like you're being willfully ignorant. (and yes, i have a feeling a response will be 'you hired coachcal, of course he cheats, you're being willfully ignorant!' but it isn't the case surrounding bledsoe, look at the facts). anywho, i'm surprised this thread is still alive. when the 2010-2011 season gets closer i'll start that year's.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Whatever dude, you're going to look back at this shit in 10 years and regret it. I promise.

OTOH,

I think someone may have sent the wrong memo to the Boise St. bball coach, Leon Rice. You're not in the MWC yet! He sure seems excited by the idea, though.

"Kids are going to look at four teams going into the NCAA tournament," Rice said. "The MWC had four bids to the NCAA tournament, more than the Pac-10, and that's the only thing that I've talked to any kid [about the MWC].

"We could have WAC Boise State versus MWC Boise State in practice with the redshirts and transfers sitting out next season," Rice said.

I think that the football driven conference expansion talk is really going to screw with the balance of power in basketball. Schools aren't being courted for their basketball programs and it looks like some big time bb programs may get shoved into crappy conferences. If the Big East gets blown up by ND/Pitt/SU defecting, what happens to teams like UConn and GU? Where does Kansas go if the Big12 loses 8 teams? Make an Olympic sports only conference? Join C-USA? Ahoy, crazy times ahead!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom