• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Basketball 2009-2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

We're not a great team and I'm sure we'll likely be 1 and done, but a 9 seed is a shitty placement. I think we should have been a 7-8.

UF getting in as a 10 is hilarious.

Seth C

TheBranca18 said:
Not quite sure how Nova deserved a 2 seed, but I'll take it. Too bad they could easily lose to Richmond.

They didn't, but you also got (probably realistically) the worst #1 seed somehow as well. Score one for you guys!

Ceres

Banned
Siena's Clarence Jackson sprained his ankle in practice and might not be able to play vs Purdue which is a pretty big loss for them so I wouldn't say an "upset" is guaranteed.

just wanted to take this moment to lol at the Xavier womens basketball team.

Xavier got 2 WIDE open layup chances to win the game. she misses both. Stanford runs down and hits game winning layup as time expires.

Seth C

Then I would like to take this opportunity to congratulate the women of Kentucky for making the first Elite Eight in their history. :)

Seth C said:
Then I would like to take this opportunity to congratulate the women of Kentucky for making the first Elite Eight in their history. :)

And they lost in the elite 8. At least they have something in common with the Kentucky mens team. Women went just as far as the men this year.

To bump this thread from the grave.

FINALLY!

My knightmare is over.

Fred Hill - fired.

Rumors have it that Ben Howland may be one of the candidates. Perhaps your dream could come true Kara!

Brad Stevens signs 12 year extension with Butler.

Lot of people seemed to think he was leaving for a bigger school this year but I never got that impression from him. He seems quite capable of building Butler into something big. Indiana (the state, not the school) is ripe for the plucking as other schools have been raiding the state's HS talent for a few years now.

Kevtones

12 years!? FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

Oregon should go for Van Gundy or some shit. FUCK. Either that or just give the job to Phil Knight.

BJK

Outdoor Miner said:
Brad Stevens signs 12 year extension with Butler.

Lot of people seemed to think he was leaving for a bigger school this year but I never got that impression from him. He seems quite capable of building Butler into something big. Indiana (the state, not the school) is ripe for the plucking as other schools have been raiding the state's HS talent for a few years now.

In related news, Tom Crean should be updating his resume in the next 6-12 months. Bad enough to spend the past two seasons looking up at Northwestern, but a mid-major school in his own state just made it to the Championship game. That's going to sit well with boosters who fired Bobby Knight and Mike Davis in the past 10 years, despite each taking IU to the Final Four.

In actual news, Wisconsin will be getting a scholarship back, as one of the big, slow guys on the roster (Markolf) is leaving the program.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
#3 recruit for 2010 and #1 recruit for 2011 class have committed to kentucky

Not only did the Wildcats score No. 3 2010 prospect Brandon Knight, but top-rated 2011 player Michael Gilchrist made it a Big Blue Wednesday by giving the program a verbal commitment.

Gilchrist, a 6-foot-7, 190-pound forward, earned fourth team All-America honors from MaxPreps following his junior campaign after posting 16.4 points and 11.5 rebounds per game for nationally-ranked St. Patrick (Elizabeth, N.J.).

. . . and i'd still rather hear about some guys who were 10-15% less talented who planned on staying a few years :/

NewLib

Banned
beelzebozo said:
#3 recruit for 2010 and #1 recruit for 2011 class have committed to kentucky

. . . and i'd still rather hear about some guys who were 10-15% less talented who planned on staying a few years :/

I think UK fans are overreacting about that. You got to remember when recruited only Wall was suppose to be one and done. There was some talk about Cousins but the consensus seemed to be he was a 2 year players. Everyone thought Bledsoe and Orton were 4 year guys. Hell Bledsoe wasnt even a top 25 recruit.

I really want Doron Lamb. I think UK has a Championship team in 2012 with Poole, Lamb, D. Miller, Liggins, Gilchrist (who is the best HS player since Lebron), and probably Teague.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
yeah, maybe so. probably so. the mass exodus is pretty demoralizing as a fan, though.

i am really pumped about the great guys we're getting, though. really fun seasons just ahead of us.

Dragon

Banned
Should I be glad as a Nova fan that we don't have a one and done? I think the last one and done on Nova was Tim Thomas :lol

wizword

Banned
Outdoor Miner said:
So UK is becoming an NBA minor league team. Awesome. Elite Eight is the best they'll ever do like that.
nah. Calipari was able to get to finals with one and done derrick rose.

Owensboro

beelzebozo said:
yeah, maybe so. probably so. the mass exodus is pretty demoralizing as a fan, though.

i am really pumped about the great guys we're getting, though. really fun seasons just ahead of us.

It's not all that demoralizing considering that Cal was able to take a team that was nothing (+ Patrick Patterson), add some One and Dones, and make them a top 5 contender the entire year. I have a feeling he can do it again.

You know what I've realized? One and done players are a hell of a lot of fun to watch. And for right now, I'm glad to have interesting, fun basketball being played by Kentucky again. I'll take a year like last year over the previous two "Gillispie Experiment" years any day. I still remember being in Rupp when UK lost to Gardner-Webb and just sitting in the upper seats after the game dumbfounded. I even went to that Las Vegas tourney the Cats were in during Thanksgiving 2009, and watched as Kentucky had more turnovers then points at halftime (16 freaking points!) in the final. It was just horrible to watch. The most memorable moment I have seeing a game during that time was a fan yelling "Go back to Texas Billy!" as everyone was filing out. In contrast: I was at a game this year and got to watch John Wall light the arena up and holy cow was it way, way more fun to watch.

The key words there are of course "for now". If the Cats doesn't reach a Final Four in the next 2-3 years, I might be changing that statement. Cal needs to recruit a couple of kids that will stay just so he has a base template that sticks around.

Karakand

wizword said:
nah. Calipari was able to get to finals with one and done derrick rose.
ah yes that magical vacated season of '23. (i know it wasn't '23 it just sounds more grandpaesque to say it that way)

beelzebozo said:
both the previous posts are great news for college ball.

i love seeing players stay in school and mature in the game.

All the early leaving is ruining the sport IMO. The rule should be you can go straight out of high school, but if you do go to college you have to stay at least 3 years. I think thats the best thing they can do now, one and dones are stupid.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
bucknuticus said:
All the early leaving is ruining the sport IMO. The rule should be you can go straight out of high school, but if you do go to college you have to stay at least 3 years. I think thats the best thing they can do now, one and dones are stupid.

it really is like a huge cocktease for fans of college ball.

thefro

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5125307

Beginning in 2011, first- and second-round games will be shown on four networks: CBS, TBS, TNT and truTV. CBS and Turner will equally split coverage of the regional semifinals.

CBS will televise the regional finals, the Final Four (including the national title game) through 2015. Starting in 2016, CBS and Turner will split coverage of the regional finals. The Final Four and title game will alternate between CBS and Turner starting in 2016.

Now we'll have to watch 5000 Conan ads during our basketball games too :lol

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
what the hell is truTV?

At least get networks that have double-digit channel numbers.

That said, the 68-team bracket I'm hearing about is probably a good thing.

Lets 3 more at-larges into the field, which isn't too many.

Makes the 15/16 seeds play to get in, there's usually a big difference between 15s and 16s, so I can see a 16 beating a 1 in future.

NewLib

Banned
To go along with the #1 2011 player, Kentucky just got a commit from the 2011 #1 PG Teague.

Im assuming Knight and Kanter are one and done but even then if Kentucky rolls into 2011 with potential Gilchrist, Teague, and Q. Miller (#1 PF prospect and heavy UK lean) to add with seniors in Liggins and Miller and Lamb, Poole, Hood, and whatever PF recruits UK pulls this year. Going to be a dangerous team.

Also great news about the NCAA tournament. 96 teams would have been a disaster.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
NewLib said:
To go along with the #1 2011 player, Kentucky just got a commit from the 2011 #1 PG Teague.

Im assuming Knight and Kanter are one and done but even then if Kentucky rolls into 2011 with potential Gilchrist, Teague, and Q. Miller (#1 PF prospect and heavy UK lean) to add with seniors in Liggins and Miller and Lamb, Poole, Hood, and whatever PF recruits UK pulls this year. Going to be a dangerous team.

i'm beaming.

BEAMING.

Bowser

UK is going to be a force for years to come, but I have my doubts that a team with that much turnover year to year is going to be able to win the title.

Bowser said:
UK is going to be a force for years to come, but I have my doubts that a team with that much turnover year to year is going to be able to win the title.

Eh, that's just the thing... UK did what they had to do, they won the SEC and went into the tourney with a top seed. Once you get into the tourney, anything can happen. That's what we love about it; it's one and done, and you can't predict anything.

jjasper

arstal said:
Makes the 15/16 seeds play to get in, there's usually a big difference between 15s and 16s, so I can see a 16 beating a 1 in future.

Screw that make the last 4 at larges play in the first round. Have them go in as 12 seeds or something if they win.

NewLib said:

#1 Gilchrist
#2 Teague (stolen from Louisville, pitino recruited that kid for 2 years, coached his dad at boston u, and even hired his old coach as 'special assistant to the coach')

and as stated, #3 quincy miller is a heavy lean
and #9 tony wroten is also hyped on UK, having spilled teagues decision last night on twitter...

oh and Chandlers, some sites #10, de-committed from louisville this week and is supposedly a UK lean now too. (all of these are the 2011 class)

it's been a good couple weeks for UK. now if 2010 #13 and #14 CJ Leslie and Terrance Jones make up their mind (Jones decides april 30, bt washington and UK; CJ Leslie decides when he does, bt NC ST and UK) our 2010 class would finish shaping up nicely and we can get back to winning more basketball.

and as stated above, all you gotta do is win the SEC, get that 1 seed, and hope. anyone can be upset by anyone in the tourney (see: Kansas, who saw that?), but you give yourself the best chance possible by winning a bunch of games and learning from the losses, getting that 1 seed, and playing hard. we got beat by WVU, which sucked, but it can happen and did on that night. i'm not heartbroken over it, i understand. i wish we'd won it all, but it happens.

anyways, go uk.

bachikarn

This is hilarious: http://www.testudotimes.com/2010/4/24/1441173/some-of-you-will-enjoy-this-one

teague-calipari.jpg

Guy with fake Facebook account may have gotten star recruit to admit that Coach Cal is cheating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom