• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2012 Week 1 - Get Your Piss Hot

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingGondo

Banned
So... Huh, since I'm new to College Football, could someone explain me how the divisions work ? I'm kinda lost.
The only thing you need to know us that the best conferences don't have divisions--they play round robin schedules.

It has been shown that round robin scheduling is the only true way to determine a conference champion.

So... Huh, since I'm new to College Football, could someone explain me how the divisions work ? I'm kinda lost.

Not sure what exactly what level of detail you're wanting, so I'll just go from the top down.

Virtually all discussion here is about NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS, formerly known as 1-A). The champion here is determined by a 1-game playoff between the two highest ranked teams, as determined by a combination of human polls and computer-generated rankings. After that one game, there's like 35 bowl games, which are kinda glorified exhibition games.

The biggest of the bowl games are the Bowl Championship Series (BCS) games, which are the Orange, Sugar, Fiesta, Rose Bowls, and the BCS National Championship game.

So moving more toward divisions for you: Included in NCAA FBS are 11(?) conferences, which is the basic organizational unit, and a handful of Independent teams. Of those conferences, 6 are designated as BCS Automatic Qualifiers, which means that the champion of those conferences get automatically invited to one of those BCS games I mentioned, while any other team from any conference can be invited as one of the 4 BCS at-large teams should they meet a certain criteria.

And for divisions specifically: Some of those 11 conferences have too many teams to play a round robin during the season, so they split into 2 divisions. In these conferences, the two teams that win their division go on to meet in the conference championship game. The winner of that game is considered the conference champion.

Edit: That's probably way more than you wanted, heh.

The only thing you need to know us that the best conferences don't have divisions--they play round robin schedules.

It has been shown that round robin scheduling is the only true way to determine a conference champion.

PAC 12 sold their soul to the devil for 12 pieces of silver.

The Big XII got the 12 pieces of silver the true and honest way, by selling off our infected tonsils and appendix.

andycapps

I was giving Michigan the Bama goes into conservative mode after the second half begins benefit there.

I picked Bama by 14, so I have no problem with your pick.

Nuticus - Just making sure that the Andy that you have on your spreadsheet that picked UGA is me. Maybe there's another Andy that likes UGA's chances, that would be something.

(THU) South Carolina by 16
(THU) Texas A&M by 12
(THU) Washington State by 9
(FRI) NC State by 10
(FRI) Michigan State by 13
Notre Dame by 6
Penn State by 8
Northwestern by 6
California by 12
Miami by 13
Clemson by 17
Alabama by 11
Washington by 20
(SUN) Louisville by 15
(MON) Virginia Tech by 10

ACC: Va Tech
-Coastal: Va Tech
-Atlantic: FSU

Big 12: Texas

B1G: Wisconsin
-Ohio State: Wisconsin
-Michigan: Michigan St

C-USA: Cincy

PAC12: USC
-North: Oregon
-South: USC

SEC: Arkansas
-East: South Carolina
-West: Arkansas

BCS Game: USC v. Texas
Winner: USC

Damn, why dont you just change every pick you already had in the spreadsheet.

ag-my001

2 days left to get your picks in for bcs winners! Check the link in the op to review all your picks, some of you still have blank areas. So make sure you get those to me so you can win the prize this year!

Changing my SEC east pick to USCe. Bama remains conference champ.

Garryk

Buffalo vs UGA picked up by local FOX affiliate in Columbus, OH. Thank you based God.
images

Meier

No pickem for me (natch) but I'll enter your little conference winners deal I suppose.

ACC: FSU

Big 12: Oklahoma

B1G: Michigan
-Legends: Michigan
-Leaders: Wisconsin

Big East: Pittsburgh

PAC12: Oregon

SEC: Alabama
-East: Georgia
-West: Alabama

BCS Game: FSU v. Alabama
Winner: FSU

Going all in!

SyNapSe

ACC: Va Tech

Big 12: Tejas

B1G: Michigan
-Legends: Michigan
-Leaders: Wisconsin

Big East: Louisville

PAC12: USC

SEC: LSU
-East: Georgia
-West: LSU

BCS Game: LSU vs USC
Winner: LSU

If I actually knew this kind of shit I could make a ton of money.

I don't understand why these people on ESPN (I know) keep saying that the current/old BCS system favors the SEC. I actually think if they have a playoff, the SEC will win even more. it's not like any other team has beat them in the National Title game.

ag-my001

I don't understand why these people on ESPN (I know) keep saying that the current/old BCS system favors the SEC. I actually think if they have a playoff, the SEC will win even more. it's not like any other team has beat them in the National Title game.

Could do with the self-fulfilling hype machine. Many pundits see the SEC as first among equals, so an undefeated SEC team is assumed better than all other undefeated teams, and the same for 1-loss teams. Under the current framework, it would be very tough to pick two teams that aren't in the SEC. I don't know if 2005 would repeat itself nowadays, even with big names like USC and Texas over an undefeated Auburn. With the new system, you have to win twice, and when looking at the top tier of competition, that will always be (at least statistically) harder.

Cyan

Banned

It's easier to win one game than two.

Damn, why dont you just change every pick you already had in the spreadsheet.

Ah, I failed to notice that I was already in there. Just did a quick scan for my name. :p

Anyway, my old picks were joke picks. These are only sort of joke picks.

Right now, it kinda depends on how heavily the human polls are weighted when selecting the playoff teams. With the current setup, and due in large part to those people on ESPN, the SEC get such a huge benefit of the doubt when it comes to any comparison. "Who is the better between these two teams?" "The one from the SEC." "Why?" "Because they play in the SEC."

Now that's not to say anything about the SEC team NOT being better, it's just that it's always assumed they the SEC team is better than a team with the same number, or even fewer, loses.

Of course, until someone beats them, there's only so much complaining that can be done.

TS-08

I just saw Henry Josey is out for the year. That's a tough blow for Mizzou

Yeah it was more or less expected. His injury was about as bad as a leg injury can get. Fortunately he has been running sprints and everyone seems hopeful he will be able to make a return next year. Don't know if he will ever return to 8.1 YPC form, but I'm hopeful.

TS-08

I never get these Simpsons references.

Are they going to be able to field a full team this year? One blow after another.

Well Josey not playing has been assumed since last November. Our O-line is hurting but Meiners, who was injured last week, is expected to recover quickly and Pinkel seems to think he can be on the field for the UGA game. I doubt we are much worse off when it comes to losing players (be it through injuries, suspensions, dismissals, etc.) than most other schools in the country. I can only think of three guys who will miss the majority or all of the season, and only two of them were starters. Not good, but not all that uncommon really.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
At least that 3rd Offensive Lineman isn't seriously injured. Early thought was a season ender, but looks like he'll just be out a week or 2. They still have lost 2 other OLine Starters.

TS-08

At least that 3rd Offensive Lineman isn't seriously injured. Early thought was a season ender, but looks like he'll just be out a week or 2. They still have lost 2 other OLine Starters.

Chappell, one of those 2 o-linemen, wasn't a starter, although he was in the two-deep.

andycapps

Well Josey not playing has been assumed since last November. Our O-line is hurting but Meiners, who was injured last week, is expected to recover quickly and Pinkel seems to think he can be on the field for the UGA game. I doubt we are much worse off when it comes to losing players (be it through injuries, suspensions, dismissals, etc.) than most other schools in the country. I can only think of three guys who will miss the majority or all of the season, and only two of them were starters. Not good, but not all that uncommon really.

The problem is when you lose a couple of offensive linemen in a conference known for it's front 7. Mizzou may weather this just fine, but I'd be nervous if my team was missing a couple OL, even if one is a backup.

The biggest question for Mizzou is how well Franklin is and if he'll be able to take some hard shots this year and not have a re-injury.

squicken

::edit::

OU just released their two deep. 13 freshman, including 9 true freshman. I think Texas can overcome that.

I sort of had a bit of confidence in OU, but the line injuries are just too much. Maybe the incoming WRs will finally give them the big play ability they really haven't had for awhile. Still think WVU takes the conference. People dog on WVU's defense but it's not like the conference is all that great at that anyway. Lots of 5 hour shootouts, again

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
So, apparently Meeeeechigan's suspended running back is going to start against Bama.

I, for one, am shocked.

giga

So, apparently Meeeeechigan's suspended running back is going to start against Bama.

I, for one, am shocked.
I, for one, found Brady Hoke's explanation perfectly understandable and far from a contradictory and discombobulated mess.

“Whenever you’re in this position, you’ve got to make decisions that are best for the program,” he said. “That doesn’t mean for one specific team, it means for the program, for the identity and character of the program that you represent. Are they easy decisions? No. Are they decisions that you want to make because you love the kids? No.”

He said he doesn’t have a big problem with making the decision.

“I’m comfortable with what I want to do, very comfortable with that,” Hoke said. “Talking to all you guys (in the media) about it? No, that’s not comfortable because it’s talking about two kids who are sons to us and made bad decisions.”

TS-08

The problem is when you lose a couple of offensive linemen in a conference known for it's front 7. Mizzou may weather this just fine, but I'd be nervous if my team was missing a couple OL, even if one is a backup.

The biggest question for Mizzou is how well Franklin is and if he'll be able to take some hard shots this year and not have a re-injury.

I understand and am concerned for that reason, I just felt your characterization overstated our injury situation and gave the impression we had more serious injuries than we do. The only guy we lost that I feel has the potential to have a significant impact on our ability to compete is Josey, and we lost him so long ago that I really forget to account for him when looking forward to the season. That said losing depth is never good and I hate that we have lost some at such an important spot to have it.

A serious re-injury to Franklin's shoulder would unquestionably save us travel money come bowl season, but so far reports are that the surgery and time off have allowed him to actually heal other nagging injuries from last season as well as the labrum. He apparently has shown off a much better throwing motion as a result. So at least initially he appears to be at full health and strength.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
I feel that my piss is gradually achieving marked increases in mean temperature as this week progresses.

Derp fuel, :jnc.

Yeah, I think Penn St hangs 50 on them to show the world how awesome rapist enabling can be or whatever, but I'm damned if I'm going to pick them.

You all may well be right, but I'd be surprised. We haven't been Akron or Eastern Michigan-level bad in a long time. Despite Solich's failures against BCS competition while at Ohio, I think it'll be competitive for at least a half.

Cyan

Banned
You all may well be right, but I'd be surprised. We haven't been Akron or Eastern Michigan-level bad in a long time. Despite Solich's failures against BCS competition while at Ohio, I think it'll be competitive for at least a half.

It's not that I think Ohio is that bad (or Penn St that good), it's what ChiTown said, derp fuel.

They've spent the better part of a year derping themselves up on how much the world hates on them and mistreats them for no fault of their own etc etc.

They'll go out there with all they've got and win one for the Tickler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom