• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2012 Week 1 - Get Your Piss Hot

Status
Not open for further replies.

LosDaddie

Banned
Well CFB-GAF, Lady Luck fucked me this weekend.

It was Friday night, and after dinner/board games/the family going to bed, I poured me a stiff drink and sat down for another Friday night of gaming (Gamer-Dads know what I'm talking about). And what happens? My HDTV shits the bed. Doesn't turn on...even though I was watching some ESPN a couple hours earlier. FRIDAY NIGHT RUINED.

Thankfully, the wife was totally fine with buying a replacement HDTV....55" LED, at Costco the next day. So despite being out $1300, I'll be watching my Noles disappoint me on a pretty awesome HDTV this season.

-NeoTB1-

Woooo! Best time of the year, baby. #GYPH #hookem

(THU) South Carolina @ Vanderbilt by 17
(THU) Texas A&M @ Louisiana Tech by 11
(THU) Washington State @ BYU by 14
(FRI) Tennessee vs. NC State by 4
(FRI) Boise State @ Michigan State by 14
Notre Dame vs. Navy by 10
Ohio @ Penn State by 13
Northwestern @ Syracuse by 1
Nevada @ California by 7
Miami @ Boston College by 10
Clemson vs. Auburn by 14
Michigan vs. Alabama by 7
San Diego State @ Washington by 3
(SUN) Kentucky @ Louisville by 14
(MON) Georgia Tech @ Virginia Tech by 6

Cyan

Banned
I refuse to let schadenfreude run too many of my picks.

Penn State will have them running like scared kids.

First game back after scandal, so much derp fuel to power them.

Derp fuel, :jnc.

Yeah, I think Penn St hangs 50 on them to show the world how awesome rapist enabling can be or whatever, but I'm damned if I'm going to pick them.

andycapps

Well CFB-GAF, Lady Luck fucked me this weekend.

It was Friday night, and after dinner/board games/the family going to bed, I poured me a stiff drink and sat down for another Friday night of gaming (Gamer-Dads know what I'm talking about). And what happens? My HDTV shits the bed. Doesn't turn on...even though I was watching some ESPN a couple hours earlier. FRIDAY NIGHT RUINED.

Thankfully, the wife was totally fine with buying a replacement HDTV....55" LED, at Costco the next day. So despite being out $1300, I'll be watching my Noles disappoint me on a pretty awesome HDTV this season.

Was it a DLP style? I have a Sony bulb type HDTV and the bulb bit the dust a few months ago. Got a new one on Amazon for $40 and installed it in a couple minutes. Good as new and better black levels than anything short of a nice plasma.

I clicked this thread, because I was like "WTF."

Saw the Fulmer Cup standings.

Said to myself "I wonder if my alma mater still does 'well' in the Fulmer Cup.

3rd place.

andycapps

It's ok, a defensive mindset and straightforward running game have always been the keys to winning a Big 12 title.

mjlaughing.gif

I know this is a joke, but that's great.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
It's ok, a defensive mindset and straightforward running game have always been the keys to winning a Big 12 title.

As silly as it sounds I still think they're most likely going to win the conference. Wouldn't be surprised with them, OU, or maybe WVU if they can manage to score 70 in every game to make up for their defense. Anybody else I'd be surprised, as everybody either loses too much from last year or is still in rebuilding mode, but I wouldn't be TOO surprised because this is just an odd year. OU has taken some big hits with injuries and players leaving the team otherwise I'd have them #1 easy but this is a hard conference to get a grasp on this year.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
(THU) South Carolina @ Vanderbilt by 9
(THU) Texas A&M @ Louisiana Tech by 12
(THU) Washington State @ BYU by 4
(FRI) Tennessee vs. NC State by 5
(FRI) Boise State @ Michigan State by 30
Notre Dame vs. Navy by 10
Ohio @ Penn State by 4
Northwestern @ Syracuse by 8
Nevada @ California by 6
Miami @ Boston College by 8
Clemson vs. Auburn by 4
Michigan vs. Alabama by 101
San Diego State @ Washington by 10
(SUN) Kentucky @ Louisville by 4
(MON) Georgia Tech @ Virginia Tech by 7

2 days left to get your picks in for bcs winners! Check the link in the op to review all your picks, some of you still have blank areas. So make sure you get those to me so you can win the prize this year!

KingGondo

Banned
As silly as it sounds I still think they're most likely going to win the conference. Wouldn't be surprised with them, OU, or maybe WVU if they can manage to score 70 in every game to make up for their defense. Anybody else I'd be surprised, as everybody either loses too much from last year or is still in rebuilding mode, but I wouldn't be TOO surprised because this is just an odd year. OU has taken some big hits with injuries and players leaving the team otherwise I'd have them #1 easy but this is a hard conference to get a grasp on this year.
The offenses are still gonna be fierce, even at OSU and Baylor (in spite of their losses). I just have a hard time seeing Texas outscoring anyone--28 or 35 points should be enough to beat them most days unless their defense forces a ton of turnovers to create points.

I think the conference title comes down to Bedlam again. OSU lost Weeden and Blackmon, but every other part of the team is returning a ton of depth and strength, and the early reports on Lunt and the young receivers are promising.

1/2. OU/OSU
3. KSU
4. WVU
5. UT
6. TCU
7. Baylor
8. ISU
9. TTU
10. KU

andycapps

Guess it's about time I learned our fight song. Like most students I never learned it. Only the old timers sang it. The Redcoat Band has put out a video for it and they've condensed the words some, I believe.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Guess it's about time I learned our fight song. Like most students I never learned it. Only the old timers sang it. The Redcoat Band has put out a video for it and they've condensed the words some, I believe.

We have fight song. But the student body seems to prefer the "Hey!" song with "Fuck 'em up, fuck 'em up, Go CU!" as the chant.

Which is disappointing because I think we have great fight song.

I typically haven't participated in the pick-ems, but hey, why the fuck not?

(THU) South Carolina @ Vanderbilt by 10
(THU) Texas A&M @ Louisiana Tech by 16
(THU) Washington State @ BYU by 3
(FRI) Tennessee vs. NC State by 6
(FRI) Boise State @ Michigan State by 7
Notre Dame vs. Navy by 3
Ohio @ Penn State by 6
Northwestern @ Syracuse by 7
Nevada @ California by 7
Miami @ Boston College by 7
Clemson vs. Auburn by 10
Michigan vs. Alabama by 12
San Diego State @ Washington by 7
(SUN) Kentucky @ Louisville by 10
(MON) Georgia Tech @ Virginia Tech by 10

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Somewhat interesting coincidence - Matt Goetz was an OL that Mike Leach recruited to Texas Tech, but Leach ultimately dismissed him from the team at some point during his true freshman year. After leaving Tech he went to Navarro JC for a year before signing to play for Washington State a season before Leach was hired up there. He's currently slated to be their starting left guard.

andycapps

Lots of people ITT bout to look real dumb after the Vols manhandle the Pack.

Yeah that'll show us!

ChiTownBuffalo said:
We have fight song. But the student body seems to prefer the "Hey!" song with "Fuck 'em up, fuck 'em up, Go CU!" as the chant.

Which is disappointing because I think we have great fight song.

We have some others that the students know and everyone sings along with. I'm hoping that with the promotion of this video by the university, the band, and the student paper that it catches on.

BTW, if anyone remembers the publicity stunt the Red and Black pulled last week, they're back and everything is back in the student's control. As it should be, though I have my gripes with the paper.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Yeah that'll show us!

We have some others that the students know and everyone sings along with. I'm hoping that with the promotion of this video by the university, the band, and the student paper that it catches on.

BTW, if anyone remembers the publicity stunt the Red and Black pulled last week, they're back and everything is back in the student's control. As it should be, though I have my gripes with the paper.

Yeah, I was reading some stuff about that.

Why was a non-faculty person even put in charge?

ChiTownBuffalo

andycapps

Yeah, I was reading some stuff about that.

Why was a non-faculty person even put in charge?

The board of directors was basically not happy with declining readers, and they attempted to bring in some professionals to run a tighter ship. From here:

Editors said the unrest among the staff had been building since the summer.

Changes started occurring after the April board of directors meeting, according to former senior reporter Mariana Heredia.

Directors made the decision after that meeting to invite a sitting board member skilled in publishing to fix the problems they felt had led to a falling readership in the past several years.

The Red & Black hired more than 10 new non-student employees in an attempt to offer more resources to the students working at the paper.

But editors said they started to feel as though the changes were beginning to infringe on the student-run aspect of the paper.

Cyan

Banned
ACC: Va Tech
-Coastal: Va Tech
-Atlantic: FSU

Big 12: Texas

B1G: Wisconsin
-Ohio State: Wisconsin
-Michigan: Michigan St

C-USA: Cincy

PAC12: USC
-North: Oregon
-South: USC

SEC: Arkansas
-East: South Carolina
-West: Arkansas

BCS Game: USC v. Texas
Winner: USC

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
The offenses are still gonna be fierce, even at OSU and Baylor (in spite of their losses). I just have a hard time seeing Texas outscoring anyone--28 or 35 points should be enough to beat them most days unless their defense forces a ton of turnovers to create points.

I think the conference title comes down to Bedlam again. OSU lost Weeden and Blackmon, but every other part of the team is returning a ton of depth and strength, and the early reports on Lunt and the young receivers are promising.

1/2. OU/OSU
3. KSU
4. WVU
5. UT
6. TCU
7. Baylor
8. ISU
9. TTU
10. KU

I think OU and UT together have probably about a 90% or better chance of taking the conference. I only mentioned WVU as a very outside candidate if they get lucky; more likely that they stumble quite a bit with the new, tougher conference, and I could even see the possibility that they totally crash and burn. I don't have much faith in TCU at all; between graduation, suspension, attrition, etc. they've lost something like 34 players from last season's roster and a lot of those were starters and 2-deep.

From your list, I don't know exactly what number I'd put next to every team but I'd definitely move Tech and ISU up while moving KSU, TCU, and Baylor down. OU/UT would be about a wash at 1/2, OSU and WVU a wash at 3/4. I'd probably just do a grouping something like this -

OU/UT
OSU/WVU
TTU/ISU/KSU
TCU/Baylor
Kansas

though honestly I think Tech should be in that second group with OSU/WVU but I'm trying to account for my own homer-ness in the rankings.

Sucks to see Tech so low on everybody's lists. With so much returning on our offense (and having added some actual big play guys that we've been missing since 2008) and a defensive coaching staff that all the players don't hate we should be VERY improved this season. Everybody from the reporters to the players to the coaching staff have been a lot more optimistic this offseason than they were either of Tubs' first two seasons. If we had anything but the worst defense in the country last year we would have been bowling but I guess it's hard to get motivated to play when your DC screams and tells you that you suck within 15 minutes of leaving the field after winning the biggest upset of the college football season. God I'm glad Glasgow went back to TCU with his tail between his legs.

Remember the name of our TE Jace Amaro because he's going to have a coming out party this year. Athletic freak who is one of the fastest guys on our team even at 6'5" 260.

My candidate for last year's player who would have a coming out party, DE Leon Mackey, suffered a punctured lung in the first game of the season. This season he's put on 20 pounds or so and moved to DT. Still have a fair number of NFL scouts coming out to see him this Fall along with WR Tyson Williams (brother to 2012 A&M RB 5 star signee Trey Williams) who made NFL waves back at West Texas A&M two years ago before he transferred to get more visibility; lot of scouts came to see him in practice last season as well and he wasn't even eligible.

Gondo pls.

We've got a solid team this year. Better than last year even.

:p

How the hell is ISU an underdog at home versus Tulsa? I don't get it.

KingGondo

Banned
From your list, I don't know exactly what number I'd put next to every team but I'd definitely move Tech and ISU up while moving KSU, TCU, and Baylor down. OU/UT would be about a wash at 1/2, OSU and WVU a wash at 3/4. I'd probably just do a grouping something like this -

OU/UT
OSU/WVU
TTU/ISU/KSU
TCU/Baylor
Kansas

though honestly I think Tech should be in that second group with OSU/WVU but I'm trying to account for my own homer-ness in the rankings.
You're probably right about TCU, now that I think about it. I just think people are still vastly overrating UT. I haven't heard shit but platitudes from Mack about "playing tougher" and "pulling together." Sounds like he's trying to make people forget they still don't have a QB.

It would be nice to see TTU improve as you predict, but they were mediocre at best last year. I guess we'll see.

Based on known factors, OU should be the heavy favorite. I'm basing my optimistic projection for OSU on returning talent and good reports out of fall camp on the progress of Lunt (and the fast start that guys tend to get in the Air Raid).

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
You're probably right about TCU, now that I think about it. I just think people are still vastly overrating UT. I haven't heard shit but platitudes from Mack about "playing tougher" and "pulling together." Sounds like he's trying to make people forget they still don't have a QB.

It would be nice to see TTU improve as you predict, but they were mediocre at best last year. I guess we'll see.

Based on known factors, OU should be the heavy favorite. I'm basing my optimistic projection for OSU on returning talent and good reports out of fall camp on the progress of Lunt (and the fast start that guys tend to get in the Air Raid).

I guess I just see UT as being like KSU last year but with a worse QB, a better defense, and a better overall talent level. It's going to come down to whether they make any dumb mistakes. With OU's personnel problems lately (particularly on the OL) and no other clear frontrunners I think that formula could be all it takes to win the conference this year. I wouldn't be too surprised if the winner of the Big XII this year has two losses.

So much of Tech's bad play last year was mental; no clear cut leaders on either side of the ball, a DC that all the players actively disliked, and injury problems that were so bad that by the end of the year we had a guy that had literally only played CB for a week and a half or so trying to cover Justin Blackmon (against UT iirc we started two guys at CB that had been WRs a week before, Douglas and Corker, and Corker blew out a knee in that game). We should not have been a bad enough team last year to be losing games by 60 points at home. Throwing a freaking team pizza party probably could have won them at least one more game. From all reports the mental issues were solved in the Spring and Summer.

::edit::

OU just released their two deep. 13 freshman, including 9 true freshman. I think Texas can overcome that.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
South Carolina by 17
Texas A&M by 12
BYU by 4
NC State by 4
Michigan State by 3
Notre Dame by 6
Penn State by 5
Northwestern by 5
Nevada by 4
Miami by 3
Auburn by 5
Alabama by 8
Washington by 8
Louisville by 11
Virginia Tech by 12

LosDaddie

Banned
When are you guys going to do your team's season predictions?

First game(s) is on Thurs, right? I think I'll do mine on Wednesday then. Feeling a 10-2 season right now....

Was it a DLP style? I have a Sony bulb type HDTV and the bulb bit the dust a few months ago. Got a new one on Amazon for $40 and installed it in a couple minutes. Good as new and better black levels than anything short of a nice plasma.

It was one of the last rear-projection LCD types. It was the biggest (61") I could get for my budget at the time. Not the best HDTV, but still damn good. It last 4+ years.

The lamp actually went out a few months ago, and Panasonic replaced it for free. Real happy about that....until Friday night. So I had the wife call Panasonic to bitch at them the next day, and they put us in their Buy Back program. So once we send it all the correct paperwork & such, Panasonic will cut us a $500 check. :)

Ganhyun

(THU) South Carolina @ Vanderbilt by 5
(THU) Texas A&M @ Louisiana Tech by 21
(THU) Washington State @ BYU by 14
(FRI) Tennessee vs. NC State by 7
(FRI) Boise State @ Michigan State by 10
Notre Dame vs. Navy by 7
Ohio @ Penn State by 20
Northwestern @ Syracuse by 10
Nevada @ California by 17
Miami @ Boston College by 7
Clemson vs. Auburn by 6
Michigan vs. Alabama by 17
San Diego State @ Washington by 24
(SUN) Kentucky @ Louisville by 6
(MON)Georgia Tech @Virginia Tech by 12

Kurita

So... Huh, since I'm new to College Football, could someone explain me how the divisions work ? I'm kinda lost.

Tex117

Banned
I had no idea that Arkansas had such a strong Fulmer Cup showing.

If you're calling Louisiana Tech a cupcake you should probably check up their team a bit more. Return a lot of starters, have the returning WAC coach of the year, won their conference last year, and you're going to their house in your first game with a new coaching staff and QB. Better hope your team isn't overlooking them as much as you are because while I still think A&M will most likely win that is a very dangerous game for the Aggies.

Agreed. But I would not be a bit surprised if they are only focusing on Florida.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom