• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2012 Week 1 - Get Your Piss Hot

Status
Not open for further replies.
12 and they will crack the top, then they could lose the rest of their games and still not drop out of the top 25

and don't too excited for the game today, whats left of isaac will be rolling through here, starting about 30 minutes before kickoff. Have a feeling that we may not get more then 1/2 of the game played

Balls. I haven't followed forecasts, so I just figured Isaac would have pushed through by now. Rainy, sloppy games can be fun, but when weather cancels, it sucks for everybody. Hopefully this game won't get thunderfucked like ours against Marshall did last year.

jjasper

After watching the game I think is pretty easy to say that was the best the team has looked since the 2nd half of Kiffins year. I know NC State isn't great but after watching where other teams not called Bama are at this point I like our chances to actually be competitive in the SEC this year.

Edit: As I have said since last year Lane is the best RB we have needs more touches.

Looks like our starting RB is questionable/doubtful for the OSU game. Sucks, but there is good depth there and we were able to give a good looking RS freshman some action too.

Looks like Storm Johnson out of DA U will need some more carries.

SyNapSe

Have the Golden Gophers ever been undefeated this far into the season?

During the off-season Minnesota was granted the 1904 championship so I'm going with 1904. The gophers were undefeated and beat the fuck out of a high school team so that's pretty awesome.

Draconian

After watching the game I think is pretty easy to say that was the best the team has looked since the 2nd half of Kiffins year. I know NC State isn't great but after watching where other teams not called Bama are at this point I like our chances to actually be competitive in the SEC this year.

Edit: As I have said since last year Lane is the best RB we have needs more touches.

I think Tennessee will have a good year. I can't wait to see them take on Florida in a couple of weeks. They could finish a solid 3rd in the east.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Did the Pac 12 run away with most embarrassing conference on Saturday? I mean, they had a bad weekend with Oregon State not even playing.

Think every conference was shaky.

I mean, SEC, besides Alabama and Tennessee (and I guess Mizzou...) were kind of below average. I know LSU beat up on North Texas, but sounds like their OLine didn't hold up great, and Mett got hurt/wasn't as good as advertised.
Arkansas was losing to Jax State and ended up letting them score 25+ points.
Auburn lost, Georgia let Buffalo stick around and score points, Vandy/SCAR was sloppy. Don't know what the Miss. schools did.

Then There's FLoLrida.

The B1G had PSU, and bad performances by Wisconsin, Northwestern, and Iowa. Michigan did itself (and the conference) no favors by playing Alabama. Michigan State ran the ball well, but it was too close a game against that BSU team (who lost just about everyone of quality).

PAC as mentioned by you.

I guess the ACC and Big XII had the best showings, though OU :lol

Draxal

Yeah, I'm still off the Kyle Flood bandwagon.

Should have beat Tulane silly last night.

grrr

That wasn't going to happen with our qb situation. I was happy with the result, a win is a win (especially for how vanilla they played), and Greene looked healthy. And Pitt lost.

Depends if you count Pitt and Syracuse as ACC already.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

I mean, SEC, besides Alabama and Tennessee (and I guess Mizzou...) were kind of below average. I know LSU beat up on North Texas, but sounds like their OLine didn't hold up great, and Mett got hurt/wasn't as good as advertised.
Auburn lost, Georgia let Buffalo stick around and score points, Vandy/SCAR was sloppy. Don't know what the Miss. schools did.

Then There's FLoLrida.

The B1G had PSU, and bad performances by Wisconsin, Northwestern, and Iowa. Michigan did itself (and the conference) no favors by playing Alabama. Michigan State ran the ball well, but it was too close a game against that BSU team (who lost just about everyone of quality).

PAC as mentioned by you.

Miss was down to Central Arkansas before the half, came back and won. And Miss State solidly beat their cupcake.

And I've questioned Mett since the end of last season. People were making a big deal out of him, and it's like okay... if he's going to be that good, why couldn't he get the starting position over Jefferson and Lee? Because both of them were pretty shitty.

The ACC did ok. It had its problems too. Wake Forest and Maryland came pretty close to embarrassing losses. Most of the conference easily handled their business though. The biggest surprise was Duke. They beat FIU with ease. Pretty good showing for them.

JHall

Then There's FLoLrida.

PAC as mentioned by you.

I don't know what you're talking about. Our passing game rivals that of Colt Brennan's era at Hawaii.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Well, could preference all that with "how the upper echelon teams of each conferences did"

Should be no surprise to see the Ole Miss, Colorado's, and Wake Forest's of the world struggle. It's more about the SCAR, Georgia's, Michigans, OU's, Wisconsin's and how they performed.

TheNatural

My Member!
Part of me is excited with a chance to beat the shit out of our rival.

The other part of me is demoralized that this is seriously our biggest most hyped game of the year outside of the bowl game. Our schedule:

Sep. 2 Kentucky 3:30pm
Sep. 8 Missouri State 3:30pm
Sep. 15 North Carolina 3:30pm
Sep. 22 at Florida Int'l 7:00pm
Sep. 29 at Southern Miss. 8:00pm
Oct. 13 at Pittsburgh TBA
Oct. 20 South Florida TBA
Oct. 26 Cincinnati 8:00pm
Nov. 3 Temple TBA
Nov. 10 at Syracuse TBA
Nov. 24 Connecticut TBA
Nov. 29 at Rutgers 7:30pm

Results of our opponents in week 1:

Missouri St (@ K State) - L 51-9
UNC (v. Elon) - W 62-0
FIU (@ Duke) - L 46-26
So Miss (@Nebraska) - L 49-20
Pitt (v. Youngstown St) - L 31-17
USF (v. Chattanooga) - W 34-13
UC (DNP)
Temple (v. Nova) W 41-10
Cuse (v. Northwestern) L 42-41
UConn (v. UMass) - W 37-0
Rutgers (@ Tulane) - W 24-12

5 teams that lost, one to a 1-AA opponent, one that lost by 20 to Duke, and one that barely beat Tulane.

I feel like this is going to be a videogame sort of year.

Draconian

Wait, why on earth is Louisville playing a game at Florida International? Then again, I was saying the same thing about the Oklahoma/UTEP game last night.

TheNatural

My Member!
Wait, why on earth is Louisville playing a game at Florida International? Then again, I was saying the same thing about the Oklahoma/UTEP game last night.

Because we're pretty self sufficient and our athletic budget is in the top 30 of the country despite basically no BCS money whatsoever.

But that also means we can't afford to drop the set $1 million one off home game fee that the Sun Belt mandates.

It's expensive to buy one off games and the huge programs have been driving prices up for everyone else. Double edged sword when the big dogs schedule weak opponents. Shitty games for all involved.

Yep. Pretty sad performance. Offense totally out of sync for most of the game, defense just couldn't figure out the pistol (we've faced it like 5 times in the last few years, guys...). For once special teams didn't look like utter shit, but I suppose it's all relative.
Really disappointing game, and then I read this about Maynard being benched:
SF Chronicle said:
The Bears started out in a 14-0 hole in part because of punishment meted out by Tedford to quarterback Zach Maynard for missing a tutoring appointment in June. Allan Bridgford got the start and hit on 1 of 8 passes for 8 yards before giving way to Maynard with 1:34 left in the first quarter.

While Tedford said Maynard had known since June that he would not start this game, his offensive teammates did not. They questioned the wisdom of Bridgford not taking snaps with the first offense at the start of practice last week in order to mimic game conditions. He did have some reps with the starters later in practice, however.

"To an extent, yes I do," said wide receiver Keenan Allen, who had a brilliant 39-yard end-around run for a touchdown in the third quarter. "All camp Zach's been with the ones (starters). We haven't taken many reps with Bridg. ... It definitely would have helped us if Bridg had taken the reps in practice."
Nice one, Tedford. :(

I thought the stadium looked pretty good and the new amenities were nice (concessions, upgraded bathrooms, etc...) Not a complete overhaul, but it's a nice facelift along with all of the seismic work.
lMfvz.jpg

I thought the stadium looked pretty good and the new amenities were nice (concessions, upgraded bathrooms, etc...) Not a complete overhaul, but it's a nice facelift along with all of the seismic work.

So what are the empty yellow seats for? Rich ass alumni that never bother to show up?

Are the luxury boxes new?

Pollux

The only consolation I can take if we lose this game is that we can fire Joker at the end of the season.

edit: announcer is a moron...not a rivalry? we've won 4 of the last 5

smr00

Banned
I think Tennessee will have a good year. I can't wait to see them take on Florida in a couple of weeks. They could finish a solid 3rd in the east.
That's one of our biggest games of every season. (Vols/Gators)

I secretly cheer for the gators.

andycapps

Keep that bulletin board material coming, Mizzou. Sheldon Richardson (D-Tackle) regarding Georgia: "It's like watching Big Ten football. It's old man football." He continued:

"They got a Heisman candidate at quarterback. OK. So we're going to get some and do what we're supposed to do. We create our own pressure. That's it, man. Don’t nobody put no pressure on us. We come out there for every game. We do what we're supposed to do. If we execute, nobody in this league can touch us. Period."

Someone asked Richardson if Missouri's SEC transition was getting overhyped.

"Way overhyped. They make it seem like we came from the WAC or something or never played against Oklahoma or Texas Tech and everyone else who plays for national championships. It's about that time we show them who we are."

Was it good for Missouri to have a tuneup against an FCS team before the Dawgs come to town?

"We could have played Alabama today. It don't matter, man. We're coming out here every game like this, high-intense football."

Damn, son!

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
"Way overhyped. They make it seem like we came from the WAC or something or never played against Oklahoma or Texas Tech and everyone else who plays for national championships. It's about that time we show them who we are."
One of these things is not like the other, one of these things just isn't the same...

Kalnos

Banned
The only consolation I can take if we lose this game is that we can fire Joker at the end of the season.

I don't think they will fire Joker now that everyone is happy with basketball again. I fully expect to get creamed in this game, and I don't really care too much. :p

Pollux

I don't think they will fire Joker now that everyone is happy with basketball again. I fully expect to get creamed in this game, and I don't really care too much. :p

S'all good man, I got beer and bourbon and will be going out in either Covington or Newport tonight. Couldn't care less if we lose, but it would get me a free pitcher if we win, so there is that.

andycapps

One of these things is not like the other, one of these things just isn't the same...

Haha I know. The article said that reactions to the Mizzou beat writer from Texas Tech fans were that they were really happy to be included with OU, and of course Georgia fans weren't too happy over his comments comparing Georgia to Big 10 teams.

Cyan

Banned
Really disappointing game, and then I read this about Maynard being benched:

Nice one, Tedford. :(
What is this I don't even...

Yeah, not hugely different. Seemed a bit easier to get in today, despite the large crowd. Not so easy getting out. :/

P.S. I think I might've spotted you at the game, but I wasn't sure if it was you or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom