• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2012 Week 1 - Get Your Piss Hot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piggus

Piggus - thoughts on the game?

Last night? The starters looked excellent (especially Mariota) but I felt like the second string could have performed a lot better against such a weak team. That said, I'm glad Chip didn't try to run up the score by keeping the starters out there even if it made for an insanely boring second half. Overall it provided a glimpse of what our potential is this year, but we won't know for sure until we play someone decent. :p

TheNatural

My Member!
Thought I would share this gem from next week's schedule before I pass out. Here is newborn FBS program UTSA's opponent next week:

APPjw.png

Holy shit, who in the hell is that? LOL.

bluemax

Banned
Was mentioned in the NFL thread but everyone would have taken Luck. He just had no interest in staying in Texas. And I think the stat is none were offered as a QB.

Fuck John Mackovic.

Then 10 years of Simms to Vince to Colt, which made it hard to recruit elite QBs to Texas except once every 3 or 4 years.

Gilbert was one of the top high school QB's of all time. Jackie Sherrill said he was the best QB he's seen since Dan Marino. He just completely fell apart mentally at Texas leading to the Longhorns' current passing challenged state. Hopefully Tyrone Swoopes will save them.

RGIII was recruited as an athlete but not QB

Only Ash played (which is how it should be). He didn't do anything spectacular, but he made good decisions all night and was an effective game manager.

Right. Obviously Luck pretty much only wanted the Farm and RG3 wasn't predictable and Tannehill is meh. So I can't totally fault Texas on this.

Another random fact between the NFL and college I saw this weekend is that over the last 4 years the Seahawks have had a higher percentage of PAC 10/12 players on their roster than any other NFL team.

Back in the late 1800's and early 1900's, some major college programs would play high school teams during the season. I'm sure that will never happen again because in this fragile society there would be a Million Moms protest claiming those high school players are being put in unnecessary danger. A class action lawsuit against the NCAA will be filed if one kid gets hurt etc.

I would also like to see the reigning MNC take on the NFL team with the worst record in an exhibition game, and the worst D1 mens basketball team take on Baylor or U-Conn's womens team. These dream match ups will forever be hypothetical leaving us fans an eternity of what-if speculation. They say it's for the best, but I say give the people what they want.

I said as much as Strong did about the D. It's going to be a good unit, today they showed some kinks they need to iron out.

I feel like if we can get past UNC, then we have a chance to run the table, since it's another month until USF at home after that. UNC and USF are the two toughest teams on the schedule.
I agree. I just didn't pull my hair like you did during the game, lol
glad to see rest of my fellow Cards fans back for another season, and you too pollux

so that game...

Offense looks much improved over last year, Teddy had a near flawless game, oh and on that one scramble...dat stiff arm lol. I understand that you dont want to risk an injury in game 1 by leaving Teddy in there but I think he got pulled a series too soon. Let him get another scoring drive, put the game completely out of reach before you put Stein in and go to ultra conservative play calling. It's the one thing I still don't lie about Strong is he calls the dogs off when we build a little bit of a lead, and it has cost us games before. Petrino would pull starters but still go for the dagger, granted we had a deeper dept chart.

Defense was the 1 thing I had very little concern about going into this game and I was wrong. We looked horrible at times, and not being able to adjust to the screen pass when UK was running it play after play is baffling. Hope to see a much improved D next week, our talent is way better then that.
I agree with this assessment, as well. The short passing game is our D's weakness, it seems.

Also, for your viewing pleasure: https://twitter.com/UKIMGNetwork

Milchjon

Is attending a Harvard game worth it for an outsider? I realize it won't be the same as watching a game further down south, but it's still fun, right?

Is attending a Harvard game worth it for an outsider? I realize it won't be the same as watching a game further down south, but it's still fun, right?

I hear Harvard vs. Yale in football is one of the most exciting games to attend. Even though neither team plays at the top level, the rivalry runs deep, and the fans go crazy for that game. If you could attend any Harvard game, attend that one.

cdyhybrid

I hear Harvard vs. Yale in football is one of the most exciting games to attend. Even though neither team plays at the top level, the rivalry runs deep, and the fans go crazy for that game. If you could attend any Harvard game, attend that one.

+1

Those Ivy League games are where the entire sport began. Won't be top level athletes but if you want tradition and atmosphere and everything that makes the college game great, go see it. Same thing for Army vs. Navy.

Milchjon

+1

Those Ivy League games are where the entire sport began. Won't be top level athletes but if you want tradition and atmosphere and everything that makes the college game great, go see it. Same thing for Army vs. Navy.

I'm only there for a limited time. I don't think I have a choice, it'll probably be against Holy Cross (never even heard of them). But oh well, I won't be able to see the Pats play live, and watching a college game should be the next best thing.

Thanks!

ag-my001

I'm only there for a limited time. I don't think I have a choice, it'll probably be against Holy Cross (never even heard of them). But oh well, I won't be able to see the Pats play live, and watching a college game should be the next best thing.

Thanks!

Make sure you learn the fight song. Song starts around 1:25.

+1

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

RUTGERS IS WHERE THE SPORT BEGAN!

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!

Thanks!
The Harvard v. Holy Cross game is on 9/28, but if you're still going to be in the Boston area on 9/29, which I think is Saturday, you could go to the Boston College v. Clemson game, which should be a more exciting game.
What is with you people and your lies? College Football began in 1958 in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.
Goddamn right.

lol Houston's OC apparently just resigned. All they had to do was realize they needed to rely on the run more. David Piland is no Keenum and they don't have the same receivers anymore. Unless the head coach insisted the pass happy offense and the OC saw there would be big disagreements over that.

lol Houston's OC apparently just resigned. All they had to do was realize they needed to rely on the run more. David Piland is no Keenum and they don't have the same receivers anymore. Unless the head coach insisted the pass happy offense and the OC saw there would be big disagreements over that.

Oh jeez, LOL. I need to text my cousin.

Schmitty

Just banned during the post-season for the next four years.
Haha my post that got me banned was making a thread called "I am Ali Armstrong, talk to me about going to the moon"

Lonestar responded with the track listing of Dark Side of the Moon

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Another random fact between the NFL and college I saw this weekend is that over the last 4 years the Seahawks have had a higher percentage of PAC 10/12 players on their roster than any other NFL team.

That explains why they sucked so badly.

Scott Bakula and Sinbad approved.™

dKjz8.jpg

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Haha my post that got me banned was making a thread called "I am Ali Armstrong, talk to me about going to the moon"

Lonestar responded with the track listing of Dark Side of the Moon

Jokes on you, I don't know anything about Pink Floyd or that album!

I still can't believe we lost Greenberry to those idiots.

Bowser

For any other UNC football fans (any? *crickets*), Gio said at the presser today that he's fine and is good to go for WFU this week.

ryan-ts

Notes from Brady Hoke Conference:

- Taylor Lewan is fine
- Clark and Fitz will play next week
- Avery will replace Countess who is out for the year
- Bellomy is #2 on the QB depth chart

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Just saw a list of those "new" Big Least team results. :jn mnfn c

Texas, prepare yourselves for some option footbaw!
And a 60 point victory. :(

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
For any other UNC football fans (any? *crickets*), Gio said at the presser today that he's fine and is good to go for WFU this week.

I didn't know Bernard was even hurt. My in laws are UNC fans and they didn't mention anything about Gio being hurt. While you are there, can you take out Tanner Price? Wake looked like ass vs Liberty so we have a legit shot of leaving September 4-1.

Some are giving us a punchers chance vs Stanford after they sucked it up vs SJSU and CBS is predicting us in the independence bowl vs TAMU....the real one.

Bowser

I didn't know Bernard was even hurt. My in laws are UNC fans and they didn't mention anything about Gio being hurt. While you are there, can you take out Tanner Price? Wake looked like ass vs Liberty so we have a legit shot of leaving September 4-1.

Some are giving us a punchers chance vs Stanford after they sucked it up vs SJSU and CBS is predicting us in the independence bowl vs TAMU....the real one.

He left the game after his punt return TD and didn't return with what was termed as a minor knee injury. Yeah, Elon was so bad that Gio had 203 all-purpose yards and rushing, receiving and punt-return TDs in roughly a quarter and a third of work.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

Bowl predictions before Week 2 starts. Awesome.

cdyhybrid

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

RUTGERS IS WHERE THE SPORT BEGAN!

Rutgers is Ivy League. Relax!

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt

The only Ivy league game I ever went to was the Havard vs. Yale game here in New Haven about 3 years ago. That was the year Yale went for a fake punt on a 4th and 22 on their own 25 with 2:00 minutes left in the game. The worst part was that Yale was actually up 10-7, although with that genius play call they ended up losing 14-10.

andycapps

Predictions for VA Tech and GA Tech game tonight? I think VA Tech beats the shit out of them. I don't see GA Tech beating big teams until they get a new offensive system.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Predictions for VA Tech and GA Tech game tonight? I think VA Tech beats the shit out of them. I don't see GA Tech beating big teams until they get a new offensive system.
A Georgia fan predicting a Georgia Tech loss? Why, I never.

giga

I didn't say I was impartial, but I still stick by what I said. Pretty sure they're winless against ranked teams during the Paul Johnson era, may he never leave.
lolwut.

Beat three ranked teams in 2008, including #11 ugag. Beat two ranked teams in 2009, including #4 VT. 2010 and 11 we don't talk about.

It's nice to dream once in awhile isn't it?

TheNatural

My Member!
And how dare you people count out the Big East. Next year is going to be a deep tough league.

Texas St. 30, Houston 13
Baylor 54 SMU 24
UT-Martin 20 Memphis 17
Washington 21 SD St 12

Cyan

Banned
I still can't get over that there's actually a Texas St. It sounds like one of those joke names for A&M or Houston or whatever.

And how dare you people count out the Big East. Next year is going to be a deep tough league.

Texas St. 30, Houston 13
Baylor 54 SMU 24
UT-Martin 20 Memphis 17
Washington 21 SD St 12
As if the current BE was much better getting dominated by a FCS team at home and losing to Northwestern...also at home!

I still can't get over that there's actually a Texas St. It sounds like one of those joke names for A&M or Houston or whatever.

If you asked people outside the state of Texas what the mascot of Texas State is, I would assume the poll would look something like

I don't know 90%
Armadillos 9%
Bobcats 1%

cruets

headed to vegas today, my money's on va tech. i dont see georgia tech going to their place and taking it. va tech to cover! watch me jinx myself. feel free to point and laugh if va tech dont cover lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom