• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 1| - Death Throes

andycapps

You really don't pay attention to football outside of your tiny little state, eh?

Stephen Garcia.

Easy on him, they're not used to having success at Sakerlina. So when they get some, they start acting uppity.

ctkayedisto - Just so you know, this kind of ribbing is to be expected around here. It means you're part of the action. Though insulting a program like USC when you're a Sakerlina fan is probably not going to end well.

I have this picture in my head of impirius doing a facepalm everytime a South Carolina fan comes out of the woodwork and acts like a massive twat on CFB-GAF.

Texas has had less success than Stanford in the last five years. Now Texas is passe?

USC is one of the five or six most storied programs in all of college athletics. South Carolina is in South Carolina.

Hey man, we played in an MNC within the last 5 years. Sure Stanford has racked up more wins than us, but they weren't in an MNC game!

Draxal

unsure how much (or if) they've changed/added things. Just know it's "HD"

I assume they've added something to make the gamepad "useful"

They said they changed the triforce fetch quest.

Technically; Rutgers is Rutgers; the State University of New Jersey. I'm one of the very very few who would like to rebrand it to NJU. I'm tired of hearing what a Rutgers is?

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
ctkayedisto - Just so you know, this kind of ribbing is to be expected around here. It means you're part of the action. Though insulting a program like USC when you're a Sakerlina fan is probably not going to end well.

...for them.

I have this picture in my head of impirius doing a facepalm everytime a South Carolina fan comes out of the woodwork and acts like a massive twat on CFB-GAF.

Really? Because I get this picture in my head every time a massive twat tries to talk shit about USC

ZOMG-CLOWNEY.gif

clowney.gif

cdyhybrid

I don't know about scoop and score

How about just score

funny-sports-pictures-bulldogs-college-football-disbelief-smh.gif

Welcome back, you wonderful .gif, you.

Southern Cal is storied why?

You mean other than the fact that they're a top-5 all-time football program?

Last drafted player of consequence? Reggie Bush lol?

They ain't tailback U any more than Miami is DBU nowadays and you know that

SCAR pls

...for them.

Really? Because I get this picture in my head every time a massive twat tries to talk shit about USC

ZOMG-CLOWNEY.gif

clowney.gif

Beating up on Michigan isn't going to impress anybody here :p

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
You mean other than the fact that they're a top-5 all-time football program?

Yes, I mean other than their illustrious history of Heisman winners. They haven't done shit recently. Although I heard Leinart got a job!

Lol so you're telling me that Miami and Southern Cal are everything that they always have been?

Beating up on Michigan isn't going to impress anybody here :p

Well nobody's gonna argue with you there :p

andycapps

So yeah guys, footbawww starting tomorrow! I'm making some brisket Saturday and some potato salad. Sounds pretty good right now.

andycapps

Mmmmmmmmm I love me some Athens

Haha I wish, I live in Columbus, OH now. I'd probably get shot for making brisket in Athens. I've done pulled pork up until now, and it's been great, but I'm thinking it's the right time to try a brisket. It's an expensive cut of meat so it's intimidated me for a while, but I have a good smoker and I've done a few smokes so I think I'm ready.

KingGondo

Banned
So yeah guys, footbawww starting tomorrow! I'm making some brisket Saturday and some potato salad. Sounds pretty good right now.
Going to my parents' house for pool, beer, and Mexican food. They have a TV on the patio so we can watch while hanging out in the pool/hot tub.

FOOOOOTBAWWWWWWWWLLLL

cdyhybrid

Yes, I mean other than their illustrious history of Heisman winners. They haven't done shit recently. Although I heard Leinart got a job!

They've continued to put players in the NFL as they always have and are still one of the biggest TV draws in the country. There's a bit more to it than winning the Heisman.

Lol so you're telling me that Miami and Southern Cal are everything that they always have been?

Every program has down periods. See: Shula, Mike

andycapps

Going to my parents' house for pool, beer, and Mexican food. They have a TV on the patio so we can watch while hanging out in the pool/hot tub.

FOOOOOTBAWWWWWWWWLLLL

I can't knock that. If you can get hold of some authentic tacos from a truck or a restaurant that makes them, those are good football food. I can devour probably 6-10 of those normally. But I'm talking about the tiny style with just corn tortillas, meat, onions, and cilantro. And of course hot sauce.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
They've continued to put players in the NFL as they always have and are still one of the biggest TV draws in the country. There's a bit more to it than winning the Heisman.

Every program has down periods. See: Shula, Mike
Shula gets a really unfair rap. Personally, I think you should use Debose, Mike as a reference point to the dark years.

andycapps

You deserve better. :(

Not Enron though. He deserves what he gets.

Enron is a UGA fan. But I may have missed what you were getting at.

Miami's a relatively "new money" school in my eyes anyway. They had those great years in the "U" years and they have awesome highschool talent to recruit from, but what did they do before Howard Schnellenberger and Jimmy Johnson put them on the map?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
This is like saying Bama was never going to rise again after Shula.

Wait, people were saying this out the ass. Saying it earlier than Shula years.

Saying it after Dubose.

Hell, it was assumed after Bear, Alabama would never reach that height again. Best we could hope for is Stallings era (which I'd say is similar to the Richt era at UGA, minus a championship, but consistent 10 wins/top 10 seasons).

Auburn, Tennessee, and LSU people just assumed Alabama would be probation depleted forever.

It's half the fun now, seeing the change in those fanbases.

Lonestar

I will say, the last 200 posts or so, are how it SHOULD be all year, gentlemen.

ALL YEAR.

SUCK IT, ORANGE.

andycapps

Wait, people were saying this out the ass. Saying it earlier than Shula years.

Saying it after Dubose.

Hell, it was assumed after Bear, Alabama would never reach that height again. Best we could hope for is Stallings era (which I'd say is similar to the Richt era at UGA, minus a championship, but consistent 10 wins/top 10 seasons).

Auburn, Tennessee, and LSU people just assumed Alabama would be probation depleted forever.

It's half the fun now, seeing the change in those fanbases.

I don't want to muddy the waters, but there have been a few chances for national championships with Richt, but luck just didn't happen. 2002 and 2007 were the best examples. Last year he was inches away from it. But yes, he's been pretty consistently hitting the 10 wins like Stallings did.

Lonestar

Johnny Football is getting suspended.

For the season opener.

Oh yeah, and just the first half.

lololol

just saw that, didn't read fast enough to beat your post.

It's stupid, first they deny it all, F the NCAA, now it's a paltry 1/2 game. So something happened, but we're all sweeping it under the rug, while AJ Green loses 4 games, Daerus lost 2 for going to a party, Dez lost a year for lying about a dinner meeting.

I fully expect to see LaMichael Manning give JFF a backbreaking suplex come 9/14. Then write a "I'm Sooooooorry" letter on 9/15.

andycapps

lololol if this is what the NCAA came up with, they're even more of a joke than I thought possible. Can't wait until the big conferences make them irrelevant.

I was going to bring up the AJ Green thing but Lonestar already did that. Sells a jersey for $1k and loses 4 games, appeals to have it dropped to 2 but was denied. If this is true, the NCAA is admitting he sold his autographs knowingly, but he'll be suspended for a half game? Pays to have one of those Stetson wearing attorneys, I guess.

Lonestar

I don't want to muddy the waters, but there have been a few chances for national championships with Richt, but luck just didn't happen. 2002 and 2007 were the best examples. Last year he was inches away from it. But yes, he's been pretty consistently hitting the 10 wins like Stallings did.

Well, the one championship was by barely getting past Florida. 1 or 2 other chances were lost by not getting past Florida (damn that 24-23 game...)

just saw that, didn't read fast enough to beat your post.

It's stupid, first they deny it all, F the NCAA, now it's a paltry 1/2 game. So something happened, but we're all sweeping it under the rug, while AJ Green loses 4 games, Daerus lost 2 for going to a party, Dez lost a year for lying about a dinner meeting.

I fully expect to see LaMichael Manning give JFF a backbreaking suplex come 9/14. Then write a "I'm Sooooooorry" letter on 9/15.

And just earlier this year Myck Kabango was suspended for 23 out of the 30 regular season basketball games for borrowing money from a friend.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Wow.

Dez Bryant doesn't break rule - misses season.

4000 autographs later miss half of a meaningless game.

It's amazing what happens when you can afford to hire top lawyers.

exarkun

Manziel got bench for HALF of the Rice game.

Wow.

What a fucking double standard. Should have at least gotten 2 games.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
So,

I guess you can now sign a bunch of autographs but "not get paid" and sit half a game.

Every star athlete needs an Uncle Nate to take the cash and deposit it in their account so that the NCAA can't actually track you down.

Lonestar

thing that chaps my ass the most, is the whole "bringing in lawyers" thing. If A&M sits/benches/dismisses him, they sue A&M. If the NCAA dictates suspensions/ineligibility, they sue the NCAA.

Having a starting position on a football team, is not some sort of Right to be sued over. But, IANAL.

The NCAA whimping out on this should be seen as what it is. It's Death-knell.

andycapps

thing that chaps my ass the most, is the whole "bringing in lawyers" thing. If A&M sits/benches/dismisses him, they sue A&M. If the NCAA dictates suspensions/ineligibility, they sue the NCAA.

Having a starting position on a football team, is not some sort of Right to be sued over. But, IANAL.

The NCAA whimping out on this should be seen as what it is. It's Death-knell.

They are powerless. If I were a player, I'd be flaunting this stuff. Signing whatever I wanted to for money. Get paid in cash, make sure nobody has any phones out recording stuff, and make tons of money.

You are correct, the NCAA is a powerless organization and everyone knows it. They overstep their bounds when they don't need to, and don't have the guts to punish someone that's the face of CFB at the moment.

Was USC and Ohio State the last to major schools to see significant penalties from violations?

Miami is likely going to skate, A&M has a joke of a sanction. They have no teeth anymore. I'm sure schools are exerting pressure to ensure they do not end up like OSU or USC.

But at the same time, these rules and issues are created by the schools themselves as they ultimately run the NCAA.

Edit: Speaking of flaunting - there have been plenty of pics of recruits and students openly flashing bricks of money and posting it on FB or Twitter. Yet nothing ever comes out of it. I never got that...

Lonestar

most of my bitterness is over being hammered a decade ago, when one guy not employed by the university gave money to a players high school coach (not even the player), to "persuade" the player into signing at the school. Something that I'm still not sure was ever proven on paper.

I imagine USC fans have this same sort of feeling.

Where was this toothless entity back then?

Was USC and Ohio State the last to major schools to see significant penalties from violations?

Miami is likely going to skate, A&M has a joke of a sanction. They have no teeth anymore. I'm sure schools are exerting pressure to ensure they do not end up like OSU or USC.

But at the same time, these rules and issues are created by the schools themselves as they ultimately run the NCAA.

Edit: Speaking of flaunting - there have been plenty of pics of recruits and students openly flashing bricks of money and posting it on FB or Twitter. Yet nothing ever comes out of it. I never got that...

Penn St. A little more than violations in there though.

Top Bottom