• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 1| - Death Throes

First poster is out:

buffalo-game-poster.jpg

That's a beautiful poster.

Dude, an entire department was fabricating grades.

Plus Hansbrough's mom.

Wait, Hansbrough's mom? Can someone explain that one?

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Mrs Hansbrough worked for the University of North Carolina as a fundraiser for the athletic department. She dated the QB at UNC and they took trips together on the schools dime.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Mrs Hansbrough worked for the University of North Carolina as a fundraiser for the athletic department. She dated an ex QB at UNC and they took trips together on the schools dime to watch her younger son play bb for the dormers.

Also, she was magically hired during Tyler senior season.

impirius

You're not gonna harsh my vibe, CFB-GAF. By this time tomorrow, I will have loaded up on Lowcountry boil, thrown the ball around a bit, yelled at the top of my lungs for pregame, and settled in to watch my school's top-ten football team resume a long-neglected rivalry to open the 2013 football season. Aw yiss.

Schmitty

what is the countdown for conferences to say fuck you to ncaa?? the only time they ever act is when other people do their work for them! (penn state and that fbi dude for those who dont remememember)

they are so worthless

cdyhybrid

what is the countdown for conferences to say fuck you to ncaa?? the only time they ever act is when other people do their work for them! (penn state and that fbi dude for those who dont remememember)

they are so worthless

There will probably be serious changes coming in the next few years at least.

Draconian

I'm not sure if I'm angrier that JFB got suspended for a half than I would be if he hadn't gotten suspended at all. The NCAA's incompetence is laughable and of course it just screams of them always being able to say "well, at least we did something guys." smh

Karakand

Local ESPN Radio (a Trogan station) has been cathartic today.

Still waiting for someone to call in and tell the hosts running with the "rules don't apply to the SEC" meme about Alabama or Oregon.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Local ESPN Radio (a Trogan station) has been cathartic today.

Still waiting for someone to call in and tell the hosts running with the "rules don't apply to the SEC" meme about Alabama or Oregon.

Why would they bring in Alabama on that topic? We just got off of probation a couple years ago!

Karakand

To falsify the claim, the rules did apply to Alabama. (Just as the rules not applying to Highlighter U also falsify the claim.)

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
gotcha, reading comprehension was raised to a higher level with all that PAC-Learnin Kara brings to the CFB-GAF crew.

LosDaddie

Banned

GAF Pick'em Week 1 Games
(all games Saturday unless otherwise marked)

(THU) North Carolina @ South Carolina by 10
(THU) Ole Miss @ Vanderbilt by 7
(THU) Rutgers @ Fresno State by 4
Mississippi State vs. Oklahoma State by 10
Syracuse vs Penn State by 4
BYU @ Virginia by 7
Alabama vs Virginia Tech by 14
Georgia @ Clemson by 7
LSU vs TCU by 17
Boise State @ Washington by 7
Northwestern @ California by 4
(SUN) Colorado vs Colorado State by 7

Thoughts on Week 1 GAmes:

- SEC

- SEC

- SEC

- :lol MSU

No time to post on GAF at work anymore, so I'll have my FSU season prediction up later tonight. (gotta get the kid to bed first)

Last day to get your conference picks in. Heres mine for good measure. Ill try and update the spreadsheet tomorrow.

AAC: Louisville
ACC Winner: Clemson
-Atlantic: Clemson
-Coastal: Va Tech
Big 12: Oklahoma
B1G Winner: The Ohio State University
-Legends: Nebraska
-Leaders: The Ohio State University
Pac-12 Winner: Stanford
-North: Stanford
-South: Arizona St
SEC Winner: Georgia
-East: Georgia
-West: Texas A&M
Championship Game:Louisville The Ohio State University
Winner: The Ohio State University

GAF Pick'em Week 1 Games
(all games Saturday unless otherwise marked)

(THU) North Carolina @ South Carolina by 12
(THU) Ole Miss @ Vanderbilt by 4
(THU) Rutgers @ Fresno State by 4
Mississippi State vs. Oklahoma State by 12
Syracuse vs Penn State by 7
BYU @ Virginia by 4
Alabama vs Virginia Tech by 12
Georgia @ Clemson by 7
LSU vs TCU by 4
Boise State @ Washington by 7
Northwestern @ California by 4
(SUN) Colorado vs Colorado State by 4

LosDaddie

Banned
Alright, motherfuckers. The best time of the year is back!

Date - Opponent

(Possible Ls in red)
Sep. 2 - at Pittsburgh
Sep. 14 - Nevada
Sep. 21 - Bethune-Cookman
Sep. 28 - at Boston College
Oct. 5 - Maryland
Oct. 19 - at Clemson
Oct. 26 - NC State
Nov. 2 - Miami-FL
Nov. 9 - at Wake Forest
Nov. 16 - Syracuse
Nov. 23 - Idaho
Nov. 30 - at Florida

Prediction: 9-3, with 8-4 being more likely than 10-2.

- RS Fr QB in Winston. There's going to be growing pains.
- 11 FSU players drafted in the NFL. Lots of talent & leadership gone.
- New & unproven DC in Pruitt, but comes with Lord Saban's blessing. That's all Jimbo needs. This Defense is going to be prone to giving up big plays as it learns the new system.
- Thin OL depth. FSU never has any luck with injuries.

Main reason I'm kinda low on FSU this season? This guy:

Jimbo_Irresistible_zps8c39f560.jpg

Egomaniac and micromanager. One of FSU's losses this season will be because of Jimbo's playcalling.

I think every college thinks Zombie Nation and/or Seven Nation Army is their thing

All I know is USC has the only legit claim to "Tusk"

Hmmm.... interdasting.

Thanks.

Is it a direct port (plus HD) or have they modified that horrific fetch-quest at the end that prevented me from ever beating it?

You can get a sail that moves the boat way faster (and removes the need to change wind direction), only have to get like 3 triforce charts translated now, "Hero Mode" (double damage, no hearts found in the environment) unlocked from the start, you can walk around in first person, you can save more pictures simultaneously with the Pictograph, and the most important feature of all:

Link can now take selfies.

??? That's so lazy. Do you not have any long term goals for Carolina? Carolina has been so much better than Southern Cal the past couple of years. The only reason Southern Cal is famous in the first place is because they got murderers in their backfield in the 90's. "Running" back U indeed.

I know CFB-GAF is the best because although we all hate each others schools in that good ol' rivalry way, I didn't have to come and set a South Carolina fan in his place when he was getting too big for his britches. Y'all did it for me <3

most of my bitterness is over being hammered a decade ago, when one guy not employed by the university gave money to a players high school coach (not even the player), to "persuade" the player into signing at the school. Something that I'm still not sure was ever proven on paper.

I imagine USC fans have this same sort of feeling.

Where was this toothless entity back then?

Yeah, no kidding. What sucks is we all knew the NCAA was bullshit the entire time, but if it was consistent bullshit you could sorta live with it.

When it's this crazy grab bag of corruption and random harsh/mild/no punishments it's just infuriating.

USC's was, well, it's still hard to decipher. Reggie Bush not paying back loans?

USC's was about "malicious intent" by the people investigating USC and Todd McNair. McNair is gonna get a fat payday out of the NCAA. Meanwhile the NCAA is fighting tooth and nail to keep documents sealed about the investigation because it would make the NCAA look even worse than it already does. Let that sink in. WORSE than they do now.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Jesus Christ this SCe fan. Get a grip.

Also, fuck johnny football. Or FJF as I will now call him. Fuck ATM. I welcome the Alabama beatdown of them.

Hilariously, even Cal is better than SCe on all of those metrics but one.

Oh Cyan, cursed with my avatar being Calvin normally and making you look bad by association lol.

And if you think Cal is really better than Carolina... well, ha, is all I have to say to that :p metrics are one thing but come on man. We're not a national power, but we're not Cal either. We hold our own in the SEC; Cal holds its own in the PAC 12 :3

Edit: I will shower in your hate once we lose lol, done it many times before. But until then, we're #6 baby

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Oh Cyan, cursed with my avatar being Calvin normally and making you look bad by association lol.

And if you think Cal is really better than Carolina... well, ha, is all I have to say to that :p metrics are one thing but come on man. We're not a national power, but we're not Cal either. We hold our own in the SEC; Cal holds its own in the PAC 12 :3
I'm not sure why you keep bringing Carolina into the discussion. The Tarheels don't have anything to do with it.

But, to address your point, historically Cal is a much better team than USCe and it's not even close.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Heading to Nashville at lunch tomorrow as away supporter. Stadium could be 60-40. Everybody I know is going and there are plenty of seats because nobody bought Vandy tix this year since they play Tennessee in Knoxville.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
I'm not sure why you keep bringing Carolina into the discussion. The Tarheels don't have anything to do with it.

But, to address your point, historically Cal is a much better team than USCe and it's not even close.

You're absolutely right. Historically.

Luckily, I'm only worried about the upcoming season :p

(dudes I KNOW that scar historically sucks. I know that southern cal is the "real" USC, and NORTH Carolina is generally accepted as "Carolina." This is fuel for our fire, but I'm aware of these things. Just trying to have fun)

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
(dudes I KNOW that scar historically sucks. I know that southern cal is the "real" USC, and NORTH Carolina is generally accepted as "Carolina." This is fuel for our fire, but I'm aware of these things. Just trying to have fun)

2896797-halfbaked_boo.gif

cdyhybrid

Why are we even discussing Cal? Cornballer is the only Cal fan that posts here and I don't think he was involved in this discussion.

Subitai

Last day to get your conference picks in. Heres mine for good measure. Ill try and update the spreadsheet tomorrow.
Oh snap, I was waiting till tomorrow morning like with pick em

Ok my dark, dark,
sort of
horse picks. =)

AAC: Rutgers
ACC Winner: Georgia Tech
-Atlantic: Wake Forest
-Coastal: Georgia Tech
Big 12: Baylor
B1G Winner: Wisconsin
-Legends: Northwestern
-Leaders: Penn State
Pac-12 Winner: Washington
-North: Washington
-South: Arizona State
SEC Winner: South Carolina
-East: South Carolina
-West: LSU
Championship Game: Notre Dame Washington
Notre Dame

Pretty dark huh? K, have fun with that one guys. Just remember we would have laughed at me last year too for putting ND in the title game over USC and LSU.

Oh snap, I waiting till tomorrow morning like with pick em

Ok my dark, dark,
sort of
horse picks. =)

AAC: Rutgers
ACC Winner: Georgia Tech
-Atlantic: Wake Forest
-Coastal: Georgia Tech
Big 12: Baylor
B1G Winner: Wisconsin
-Leaders: Penn State
-South: Arizona State
SEC Winner: South Carolina
-West: LSU
Championship Game: Notre Dame Washington
Notre Dame

Pretty dark huh? K, have fun with that one guys. Just remember we would have laughed at me last year too for putting ND in the title game over USC and LSU.

In what bizarro universe does Georgia Tech win the ACC?

ag-my001

Now that the dust is settled, I can make my season predictions for A&M:

8/31 - Rice (W): Will Johnny play more than a quarter?

9/7 - SH St. (W): Will A&M put up more than 60?

9/14 - Bama (L): Gonna be honest here, I don't think Saban makes the same mistakes and abandons the running game. I also don't think we'll jump out to a 20-0 lead in Q1.

9/21 - SMU (W): You know what, we run the table from here on out.

11-1 season record, BCS berth if we're the #2 SEC team. Georgia/USCe may snipe that spot.

How much of their division is still on post-season probation?

Subitai

Wisconsin wins the conference without even winning their division!

I thought you guys would like that.

Edit: Oh ya, they could have last year =P
I like your style :p
Thanks, man!

Preseason is such a crap shoot. Why not have fun!

2nd Edit:
*Sigh* How quickly we forget 2009
vacated and all

So, I just finished talking to someone who should know, and he's got me 99.99% convinced that Texas Tech will be starting true-freshman walk-on QB Baker Mayfield in the season opener vs. SMU this Friday.

I couldn't believe it was actually happening...but now I do.

Oh god, first game tomorrow and I don't even know how to feel (I am a Vandy guy by the way, I'll try to come here frequently throughout the season) so Conference Predictions

AAC Winner: Louisville
ACC Winner: Florida State
-Atlantic: Florida State
-Coastal: Pittsburgh
Big 12: Texas
B1G Winner: Ohio State
-Leaders: Ohio State
-South: UCLA
SEC Winner: Alabama
-West: Alabama
Championship Game: Alabama vs Ohio State
Winner: Ohio State

Hope everyone enjoys these last few moments without CFB, it is going to be an interesting season this year!

Top Bottom