• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 1| - Death Throes

LegoDad

Maybe the slack ass grads you hang out with

UNC, UT, UGA, UT, UF, UK, UVA,

You know what all these schools have in common? They're the main public liberal arts universities of their states. Also, their name is of the form "University of (state)"

NCSU, CU, LSU, TCU, ASU, FSU,

You know what all these schools have in common? They're technical, land grant, sometimes private, and generally not the main public institution of their state. And their names are of the form "(so and so) University"

Which category does Southern Cal fall under

This works except for the old Big 10.

University of Nebraska is NU.

University of Colorado is CU.

University of Kansas is KU,

University of Oklahoma is OU.

University of Missouri is MU.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Yeah, completely busted play that most other DE's would make if they were unblocked, but I think most people just saw the helmet get knocked off and the scoop and score after and forget that it was because of a botched block. I think his plays where he comes off the edge and destroys a tackle with his speed and athleticism are way more impressive.
Scoop and score?

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
This works except for the old Big 10.
University of Nebraska is NU.
University of Colorado is CU.
University of Kansas is KU,
University of Oklahoma is OU.
University of Missouri is MU.

Because all of these teams are so relevant in college football today :p (I know what you're saying, it's not a perfect analogy, it just pisses me off that "Southern Cal" thinks they have more right to the "SC" name than the state with the abbreviation "SC")

As for NORTH Carolina, well that's just a battle that has to be decided on the field of play. Glad to be renewing this old rivalry NORTHCarolinaGAF :p

UNC, UT, UGA, UT, UF, UK, UVA,

You know what all these schools have in common? They're the main public liberal arts universities of their states. Also, their name is of the form "University of (state)"
Three of those seven schools are land grant schools. (Four if "UT" refers to Tennessee and not Texas.)

NCSU, CU, LSU, TCU, ASU, FSU,

You know what all these schools have in common? They're technical, land grant, sometimes private, and generally not the main public institution of their state. And their names are of the form "(so and so) University"

Only three of those six schools are land grant schools. (I just realized that CU = Clemson. I thought you meant Colorado.)

Because all of these teams are so relevant in college football today :p (I know what you're saying, it's not a perfect analogy, it just pisses me off that "Southern Cal" thinks they have more right to the "SC" name than the state with the abbreviation "SC")

Well, maybe when SUC can manage a 55% all time winning record, win some national championships and win more than 1 conference championship they can challenge USC for it.

LegoDad

I believe it was because USC was much better than USc in most sports until recent dates. So the team that was better gets the abbreviation first. But USC for South Carolina makes much more sense than South Cal.

Arkos

Three of those seven schools are land grant schools. (Four if "UT" refers to Tennessee and not Texas.)

Only three of those six schools are land grant schools. (I just realized that CU = Clemson. I thought you meant Colorado.)

Okay, I over reached. Thanks for the clarification (although its still a majority for the UXX schools, and a tie for the XU schools, and that's just a random off the top of my head list).

Still, it's a matter of naming conventions. P

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I don't know about scoop and score

How about just score

funny-sports-pictures-bulldogs-college-football-disbelief-smh.gif

mre

I thought we decided that UT was the University of Tampa?

Arkos

Southern Cal is USC.

Get over it.

Fuck Clemson.

??? That's so lazy. Do you not have any long term goals for Carolina? Carolina has been so much better than Southern Cal the past couple of years. The only reason Southern Cal is famous in the first place is because they got murderers in their backfield in the 90's. "Running" back U indeed.

mre

What was #1?
I think Hairy Dawg's reaction makes this my #1. Can't think of a .gif that I love more than that one.
??? That's so lazy. Do you not have any long term goals for Carolina? Carolina has been so much better than Southern Cal the past couple of years. The only reason Southern Cal is famous in the first place is because they got murderers in their backfield in the 90's. "Running" back U indeed.
Carolina has been mediocre for the most part since Mack left for Texas.

I think Hairy Dawg's reaction makes this my #1. Can't think of a .gif that I love more than that one.
It's the complete package.

I also like the one with the Michigan punter freaking out after the ball goes over his head, just for the laughs.

EDIT: Ah, bucknuticus just posted it.

Lonestar

A solid top 5 pick, but UGA has alot going for it. The score (it was crazy), Dawg by himself in front of the hedges, the immaculate camera work, the reaction, the glorious camera crew, the single take (Thanks Patrick Stewart!)

Arkos

A solid top 5 pick, but UGA has alot going for it. The score (it was crazy), Dawg by himself in front of the hedges, the reaction, the glorious camera crew, the single take (Thanks Patrick Stewart!)

Yeah UGA is gonna be rough, my mom went to school there, it's honestly my favorite game of the season. Cocky owns UGA!

South Carolina can take the "Carolina" nickname for all I care. I will say SCAR is much cooler though.

Not sure if I can trust your opinion :p

andycapps

Carolina has been mediocre for the most part since Mack left for Texas.

It's hard for me to separate the gif from the game, but it's an incredible gif. It's perfect.

ctkayedisto said:
Yeah UGA is gonna be rough, my mom went to school there, it's honestly my favorite game of the season. Cocky owns UGA!

Spurrier is always good at getting his team ready to play UGA, then they don't have depth for the rest of the year and shit the bed against Vandy or something and then UGA still wins the division. I don't think the same result will happen this year at home and without Lattimore.

impirius

That Ingram gif would be okay even without the Hairy Dawg reaction because it's a DT running a fake punt for a touchdown, but Hairy Dawg and the cameraman combine to make it something sublime.

Seriously, did that cameraman ever get an award or anything?

edit: As a bonus, GAF's own giga made the initial version of that gif that spread all over the Internet.

Lonestar

That Ingram gif would be okay even without the Hairy Dawg reaction because it's a DT running a fake punt for a touchdown, but Hairy Dawg and the cameraman combine to make it something sublime.

Seriously, did that cameraman ever get an award or anything?

It's like the Cameraman's version of a perfectly timed double take.

Talon

Texas has had less success than Stanford in the last five years. Now Texas is passe?

USC is one of the five or six most storied programs in all of college athletics. South Carolina is in South Carolina.

Okay, I over reached. Thanks for the clarification (although its still a majority for the UXX schools, and a tie for the XU schools, and that's just a random off the top of my head list).

Still, it's a matter of naming conventions. P

In most instances, it seems to be whatever university was founded first. The one that was founded first took the "University of ______" name, while one of the later public universities took "______ State University."

And since many state universities were founded prior to the Land Grant Act, that's why many of the "University of ______" schools aren't land grant schools.

But there are many exceptions to both rules, to the point that both "rules" are kind of irrelevant.

Arkos

Spurrier is always good at getting his team ready to play UGA, then they don't have depth for the rest of the year and shit the bed against Vandy or something and then UGA still wins the division. I don't think the same result will happen this year at home and without Lattimore.

This is true, and I think USC in general takes the "rivalry" a little more seriously since y'all are traditionally better than us, while y'all seem to consistently underestimate us lol. I'm looking forward to an epic game.

Texas has had less success than Stanford in the last five years. Now Texas is passe?

USC is one of the five or six most storied programs in all of college athletics. South Carolina is in South Carolina.

Ummmm Texas is passé lol unless you're living in one of the states that their tv network dominates. Texas has sucked for a few years, nobody cares about them (except for the millions paying for their tv subs)

Southern Cal is storied why? The stories that jump out at me are OJ allegedly killing people and stuff like that.

andycapps

This is true, and I think USC in general takes the "rivalry" a little more seriously since y'all are traditionally better than us, while y'all seem to consistently underestimate us lol. I'm looking forward to an epic game.

You're not far off there. I think a lot of UGA fans are starting to wake up and realize that the little brother we consistently beat for years has beaten us the last 3 years. This aggression will not stand, man. As far as rivalries go, for us it's probably 4th or further behind Florida, Auburn, and GA Tech.

Talon

Ummmm Texas is passé lol unless you're living in one of the states that their tv network dominates. Texas has sucked for a few years, nobody cares about them (except for the millions paying for their tv subs)

Southern Cal is storied why? The stories that jump out at me are OJ allegedly killing people and stuff like that.
Tailback U. 11 national titles. #55. John McKay.

Congratulations on your 6th bowl win last year.

This feels gross stanning USC.

Arkos

Tailback U. 11 national titles. #55. John McKay.

Congratulations on your 6th bowl win last year.

This feels gross stanning USC.

Last drafted player of consequence? Reggie Bush lol?

They ain't tailback U any more than Miami is DBU nowadays and you know that

Top Bottom