• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 1| - Death Throes

Bowser

Was USC and Ohio State the last to major schools to see significant penalties from violations?

Miami is likely going to skate, A&M has a joke of a sanction. They have no teeth anymore. I'm sure schools are exerting pressure to ensure they do not end up like OSU or USC.

But at the same time, these rules and issues are created by the schools themselves as they ultimately run the NCAA.

Edit: Speaking of flaunting - there have been plenty of pics of recruits and students openly flashing bricks of money and posting it on FB or Twitter. Yet nothing ever comes out of it. I never got that...

UNC? Bowl ban and scholly reductions for 3 years...

UNC? Bowl ban and scholly reductions for 3 years...

UNC got a slap on the wrist since their violations seem to be so systemic within the school over a long period of time over a topic that is a direct challenge to what an academic institution is. Plus they're not what you'd call a major football program anyway. Their basketball team does not seem to have gotten anything - and let's be honest, do you really think this academic scandal was limited to football only?

Penn St - for what went on there should have been nuked for a couple years. At least 1. Given what went on, they got very lucky with their sanctions.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
UNC's was the academic stuff, with a bit of agents too? How many loss schollys?

tOSU was mostly about the HC hiding/lying about benefits. Pretty much just the postseason ban, right? Scholly's?

USC's was, well, it's still hard to decipher. Reggie Bush not paying back loans?

Penn State, and this isn't a popular opinion, should have been outside the NCAA's reach (was going to say touch...but...).

Penn State could have been forced to shut down by the state, though. If we come to find out that Hernandez killed 15 people while at Florida, does the NCAA come back and level Florida for a decade?

tOSU was mostly about the HC hiding/lying about benefits. Pretty much just the postseason ban, right? Scholly's?

USC's was, well, it's still hard to decipher. Reggie Bush not paying back loans?

Penn State, and this isn't a popular opinion, should have been outside the NCAA's reach (was going to say touch...but...).

Penn State could have been forced to shut down by the state, though. If we come to find out that Hernandez killed 15 people while at Florida, does the NCAA come back and level Florida for a decade
If it comes out a coach or administrator potentially knew and covered something up? Probably. They'd have gained an advantage over other teams by not disclosing major crimes of a player - parents/students/players/etc would have had a right to know as it happened. Plus as a coach or administrator, they have a duty of act and are an official representation of the institution as a whole.

Bowser

UNC got a slap on the wrist since their violations seem to be so systemic within the school over a long period of time over a topic that is a direct challenge to what an academic institution is. Plus they're not what you'd call a major football program anyway. Their basketball team does not seem to have gotten anything - and let's be honest, do you really think this academic scandal was limited to football only?

Penn St - for what went on there should have been nuked for a couple years. At least 1. Given what went on, they got very lucky with their sanctions.

Hey man, you said significant penalties, and those are significant penalties, ok!

Dude, an entire department was fabricating grades.

Plus Hansbrough's mom.

ostrich-head-in-sand.jpg

I think it was 15 schollys over 3 years

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I totally skipped past the Princess Bride post.

OBC looks like he can't wait to get away from Pollack. Still salty about losing to Georgia every year he played.

XzlnneUl.jpg

Bringing back ancient news:

Andrew Gribble @Andrew_Gribble

Saban said he actually doesn't like the bye week before Texas A&M, but "it is what it is."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If it comes out a coach or administrator potentially knew and covered something up? Probably.

Well. Good luck, Buckeyes.

• In college his coach (then-University of Florida head coach Urban Meyer) may have helped cover up failed drug tests, along with two violent incidents — an assault and a drive-by shootout outside a local bar.

*rubs hands furiously in anticipation

Talon

RE: Urbz

This is going to be glorious. Especially considering that the thing that put Ron Zook over the edge was him meeting up with his football players to challenge some frat bros to a fist fight.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I think it had more to do with allowing agents access to players at team events and then looking the other way.

Clearly the NCAA is completely toothless at this point.

Get cash, don't allow photos to be taken, have your buddy handle the cash for you and no one can "prove" anything.

I think it had more to do with allowing agents access to players at team events and then looking the other way.

Clearly the NCAA is completely toothless at this point.

Get cash, don't allow photos to be taken, have your buddy handle the cash for you and no one can "prove" anything.

Where's the pic of JFF's frat guy "Agent" when I need it

Garryk

Why does he have a garbage bag full of singles? Is he a janitor at a strip club on the side?

Also, Starter cap.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Uncle Nate needs to go away, and quickly. I don't care if this is Manziel's last season.

I hope Uncle Nate goes with him to the NFL. I really can't get enough of this guy.

Part of me wants to pitch a reality show to a network staring Uncle Nate and JFF.

FyreWulff

I'm half expecting A&M to intentionally fumble kickoffs until the second half so Manziel is still recorded as the starting QB.

Aww Neo a Michigan fan! You're totally right, we did have luck fall on our side. You guys failed to block at all on that play lol, and did at least keep him in check before that. But you guys did get a cheap call minutes before if I remember.

Definitely. It was karmic. After it happened I even said, "Well, that makes sense."

Well hey, we can both agree on this-- I hate OSU's guts :p

159.gif

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Belichick may have helped cover up for Hernandez? I wonder if he got advice from Meyer.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...w-aaron-hernandez-felt-his-life-was-in-danger

After a domestic dispute between Hernandez and his fiancee Shayanna Jenkins, the mag reports that Belichick became so upset he "exploded" and threatened to dump Hernandez after 2013.

"No arrest was made, but word got back to Belichick, who exploded and tendered notice: Any more disruptions and he'd be traded or cut at the end of the 2013 season," the magazine writes.

Again, pretty heavy stuff here, but also stuff that wasn't reported anywhere during the offseason. You're telling me this information didn't leak out at all to the media? Because that's a lot of incidents occurring that, one would think, might find their way to the press during the offseason.

And then there's maybe the weirdest thing of all: Rolling Stone alleges, "per a close Hernandez associate," Bill Belichick told Hernandez "to lay low, rent a safe house for a while."

I mean, WHAT? That sounds a lot more like advice from Ron Burgundy than it does Bill Belichick. But that's how, allegedly, Hernandez ended up renting his now infamous "flop house."

Seriously I'm flummoxed by all of this. The article's a complete bombshell assuming it's all true. I have a difficult time believing that Bill Freaking Belichick was told by one of his players that the player felt his own life was in danger, Belichick didn't do anything about it, so the player started skipping a bunch of workouts, then Belichick got mad and then, finally, Belichick told the player to rent a safe house and "lay low."

It's pretty implausible right? But then again, so is everything else that's happened with Aaron Hernandez over the past six months.

RE: Urbz

This is going to be glorious. Especially considering that the thing that put Ron Zook over the edge was him meeting up with his football players to challenge some frat bros to a fist fight.

So the article came out and I read it. Doesn't say one word of urban covering up stuff. So one of two things happened: 1 rolling stone teased it to get buzz for the article and get people talking or 2. Urban/Ohio state had a lawyer call them and say you print all this stuff were going to sue you.

Draxal

Wait, people were saying this out the ass. Saying it earlier than Shula years.

Saying it after Dubose.

Hell, it was assumed after Bear, Alabama would never reach that height again. Best we could hope for is Stallings era (which I'd say is similar to the Richt era at UGA, minus a championship, but consistent 10 wins/top 10 seasons).

Auburn, Tennessee, and LSU people just assumed Alabama would be probation depleted forever.

It's half the fun now, seeing the change in those fanbases.

The comparison works because USC's still in incredible shape due to how well they recruited while they were under the scholarship restriction. They just need a non retard for head coach.

KingGondo

Banned
Wow.

Dez Bryant doesn't break rule - misses season.

4000 autographs later miss half of a meaningless game.

It's amazing what happens when you can afford to hire top lawyers.
Yeah, I'm still pissed we got robbed of 8 games of Dez in 2009. Fucking bullshit.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Emperor-Palpatine-Release-Your-Anger_zpsc3bde08c.jpg

Mmmmmnmmm, the hate is strong with you, CFB-GAF.

I am pleased :p I think I got all of my introductory USCvUSC and CarolinavCarolina (that'll be settled soon enough anyway) crap out of the way, you guys know who I am, now I'm ready for the field.

I'm actually glad Johnny Football got off. The system is broken, he doesn't need to pay for it. Look forward to seeing him play this year, hope he hasn't ruined his life with these past 6 months lol.

Because they are USC, and South Carolina is not.

Touché.

I still think I'll take our record of "former players indicted for murder on the national stage" over yours though :p

Top Bottom