• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 1| - Death Throes

... taking Jabril Peppers. That really hurt.

bth_HappyDance.gif

Ya I am, I'm the slightly optimistic Rutgers fan in the Rutgers fan spectrum and fun for taking Jabril Peppers. That really hurt.

It hurts, but I didn't think he was coming here at all.

Some kids just want to get away.

At least we're not as delusional as Syracuse fans, their recruiting message board is littered with gems.

thefro

Looking forward to Indiana's rise to mediocrity this season.

I say we win 7 games and go to a non-Detroit bowl game.

Welcome to a few weeks ago. ; )

I wonder if a D1 school has ever started a true freshman walkon at QB in a season opener before?

I heard about it, but you can't tell me you were CONVINCED two weeks ago...

EDIT:

That WSJ chart is hilarious. TCU must have the greatest PR department in the world to end up so high.

Bishman

Conference: AAC

GAF Pick'em Week 1 Games
(all games Saturday unless otherwise marked)

(THU) North Carolina @ South Carolina by 12
(THU) Ole Miss @ Vanderbilt by 3
(THU) Rutgers @ Fresno State by 12
Mississippi State vs. Oklahoma State by 14
Syracuse vs Penn State by 10
BYU @ Virginia by 6
Alabama vs Virginia Tech by 16
Georgia @ Clemson by 3
LSU vs TCU by 1
Boise State @ Washington by 3
Northwestern @ California by 4
(SUN) Colorado vs Colorado State by 12

cdyhybrid

Conference: AAC

GAF Pick'em Week 1 Games
(all games Saturday unless otherwise marked)

(THU) North Carolina @ South Carolina by 12
(THU) Ole Miss @ Vanderbilt by 3
(THU) Rutgers @ Fresno State by 12
Mississippi State vs. Oklahoma State by 14
Syracuse vs Penn State by 10
BYU @ Virginia by 6
Alabama vs Virginia Tech by 16
Georgia @ Clemson by 3
LSU vs TCU by 1
Boise State @ Washington by 3
Northwestern @ California by 4
(SUN) Colorado vs Colorado State by 12

You gotta pick winners, broheim :p

ag-my001

Got a new batch of high school freshmen in my homeroom. Those that follow CFB are the normal mix of UMD, Penn St., and WV for this area. Luckily, there is one student whose family went to Auburn, so there is a chance of semi-rational debate, as much as that is possible.

Talon

I hope this doesn't turn into a "post your SAT/ACT scores" topic. I at least had 4 digits on my SAT score. At least.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Former Arkansas Lineman kills friend because he vomited on the floor.
Nothing good comes from drinking on Tuesday.

Draxal

Oh I know he wasn't on that band wagon. I just can't get over james sinclair's claim that RUT v. FSU was a match-up of a TOP TEN and a TOP TWENTY team, and enjoy making all of those references I can. :p

The current one isn't scalable to our ultimate needs, which I figure to be between 100K and 110K. It was built on the cheap at 40 million dollars in 1994. It was built at a different time in a different context, for the 40-50K stadium populations of the Big East. B1G conference membership requires a more robust stadium solution. With thousands of B1G fans in the general vicinity, not to mention over 500K living rutgers alumni and their families, we are leaving money on the table, by not being able to accomodate them.

Though expanded in 2008, at a cost of around $100 million, I would consider that a sunk cost, which has already paid off for itself, having resulted in better recruiting classes and ultimately B1G membership, which will alone is expected to generate $40 million a year.

I'm picturing a Hotel attached to the stadium, making it the ultimate convenience for out of town guests. A Hooters bar/restaurant would be nice as well. A retractable roof, which will allow it to function as a venue for mens and womens basketball games, much like the carrier dome. Light Rail would be attached, a huge upgrade over the torturous bus service now in place. A parking garage with valet service would be in place. Additional facilities to make it easier for the handicapped/disabled to make it to their seats would be included as well. The restrooms would be significantly upgraded. Bank of America ATMs would ring the stadium concourse. A significant amount of luxury suites would be built, to accommodate the expected significant demand due to B1G affiliation. Finally, the stadium would have four diamond vision replay screens, up from the one we currently have.

Nicely apportioned seats would replace the cold aluminum benches, giving the venue a luxurious feel. Stadium concessions would be upgraded as well, as Rutgers would hire the same company that does Lincoln Financial Field, which has good food. Wifi would be upgraded and each seat would have a personal monitor as well.

Now that we're in a new conference, we need a new stadium, one befitting a college football POWERHOUSE.

Jeff-DSA

Conference picks

AAC: Cincinnati
ACC Winner: Clempson
-Atlantic: Clempson
-Coastal: Miami
Big 12: OSU
B1G Winner: That school down south
-Legends: That school up north
-Leaders: That school down south
Pac-12 Winner: Stanford
-North: Stanford
-South: Trogans (pretty much by default)
SEC Winner: Gumps
-East: Georgia
-West: Gumps
Championship Game: Gumps vs That school down south
Winner: Gumps! THREE PEAT BABY

-Independent: BYU.

Why isn't football happening right now? This is garbage.

Westonian

Why isn't football happening right now? This is garbage.
Three more hours! My wife is grilling brats. I've got ice cold bottles of Henry Weinhard's in the fridge. Lots of chips and homemade salsa.

It's going to be glorious watching Utah get punked at home by Utah State to open the season.

Jeff-DSA

Three more hours! My wife is grilling brats. I've got ice cold bottles of Henry Weinhard's in the fridge. Lots of chips and homemade salsa.

It's going to be glorious watching Utah get punked at home by Utah State to open the season.

Yeah, well, my evening is just as nice. I get to hurry through mowing the lawn (.54 acres with a push mower) and hope that I don't miss any of the game while I reek of grass, hunched over my PC monitor because who the heck has Fox Sports 1?

andycapps

Yeah, well, my evening is just as nice. I get to hurry through mowing the lawn (.54 acres with a push mower) and hope that I don't miss any of the game while I reek of grass, hunched over my PC monitor because who the heck has Fox Sports 1?
Who the heck is watching Utah, period?

Westonian

If you weren't all the way up in Utah I'd have you over. I canceled my DirecTV, and the next day they called and offered me a no contract deal that new customers get: Choice Extra (which includes Fox 1, ESPNU-HD and a bunch of other stuff) 3 months of premiums like HBO and Sunday Ticket Max for all for $40 a month plus tax.

I was about to switch to Dish, but I was all over that deal like white on rice. Just have to remember to cancel Sunday Ticket before next season or they'll auto-renew it.

Conference: Big Ten

GAF Pick'em Week 1 Games

(THU) North Carolina @ South Carolina by 10
(THU) Ole Miss @ Vanderbilt by 7
(THU) Rutgers @ Fresno State by 7
Mississippi State vs. Oklahoma State by 10
Syracuse vs Penn State by 12
BYU @ Virginia by 6
Alabama vs Virginia Tech by 17
Georgia @ Clemson by 4
LSU vs TCU by 10
Boise State @ Washington by 6
Northwestern @ California by 7
(SUN) Colorado vs Colorado State by 4

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
What's the conference allegiance for teams in lame duck years. I DON"T KNOW WHAT TO PUT DOWN.
Simple: join the dark side of people who say "fuck the conferences" and root for every other team in your conference to burn.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
guess this was the year the Fulmer Cup died. They haven't updated it in months. No way is Alabama the winner, not with VandyRape out there.

My wife is grilling brats. I've got ice cold bottles of Henry Weinhard's in the fridge. Lots of chips and homemade salsa.
Jealousy levels: critical. My lady is shopping with her grandmother. I have no one to cook for me.

edit: I guess I could get off my lazy ass and grab some beers, though. Sounds like a plan, in fact. See you bitches in 45 minutes.

Westonian

45 minutes! Last chance to get in the car and drive home before the games start.

I totally forgot that the SCe and NC game was on at 4pm mountain. I'm stuck at work until 5 because both of my dept co-workers are out today. Luckily DirecTV let's me set my DVR remotely. Bullet: dodged.

The off-season blues were really starting to kick in a few weeks ago (as a Cubs fan the last hundred baseball seasons have been excruciating). I can't believe the new season of the greatest sport in the world is finally upon us!

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I totally forgot that the SCe and NC game was on at 4pm mountain. I'm stuck at work until 5 because both of my dept co-workers are out today. Luckily DirecTV let's me set my DVR remotely. Bullet: dodged.

The off-season blues were really starting to kick in a few weeks ago (as a Cubs fan the last hundred baseball seasons have been excruciating). I can't believe the new season of the greatest sport in the world is finally upon us!
I don't know how Cubs fans can still watch baseball.

Westonian

Simple: join the dark side of people who say "fuck the conferences" and root for every other team in your conference to burn.
This is the only true path. It's hard to let go of old affiliations as well. Even though BYU is out of the MWC I still actively root against every single one of those teams. Especially the way they reacted when BYU left. Screw every single last one of them!

Top Bottom