• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 12| Undefeated when playing (InsertTeamName) football

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Damn this one is hard to believe. Up until now, I really wanted to dislike the guy, but in interviews he has come across as a humble gentleman. Very RGIII like. Now I don't know what to believe.

Reddit thread on it has a bunch of stuff that make it seem unlikely Jameis did anything wrong. I am definitely withholding any judgement until I hear more.

Reddit thread on it has a bunch of stuff that make it seem unlikely Jameis did anything wrong. I am definitely withholding any judgement until I hear more.

Well with sexual assault cases rarely is evidence cut and dry and both parties will probably tell a different perspective of the story. Ultimately, it will probably come down to a subjective decision by a judge.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I guess Jameis is holding a press conference tonight to address the tmz story.

Or maybe just a general presser?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
What on earth prompted the release of this information almost a year after it happened?

The police never released any information about the investigation, so somebody at TMZ just got info linking Jameis to it somehow.

Super slim info so far.

But apparently he is being investigated and the investigation is ongoing. He is still supposed to start Saturday.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Welcome to football, Nole fans. Where if it's on the internet, it will always be true, even when it's proven not

Prepare for the Penn State ramifications. Where "FSU sat on this story for a year/covered it up." You know people will start thinking this.

Well, that didn't take long. Seeing C*** T***** retweets about "when did FSU know?"

Enfinit

Apparently Jameis grew 5 inches and changed his hair-do in a year. Sounds like some chump wants to bank on Jameis' success, much like all the broads that tried to get famous off of Tiger. Either that or it's well played by Urban or the Gatas.

87bbccb21a.png

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
The problem with this being publicized is you will have tons of people who show support for Jameis which if allegations are true would be devastating to the victim, and if allegations are false the accusation will be super devastating to Jameis. Shitty situation no matter what.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Most likely bullshit, but you have to think this hurts his Heisman chances.

Lonestar

The problem with this being publicized is you will have tons of people who show support for Jameis which if allegations are true would be devastating to the victim, and if allegations are false the accusation will be super devastating to Jameis. Shitty situation no matter what.

BTW ... the initial police reports lists the suspect's height at 5'11'' max ... Winston is 6'4.' That report also says the suspect has straight hair. Discrepancies aside, we have confirmed with law enforcement sources Winston is indeed the suspect.
Tmz updated.

Hopefully this Friday game gets a good turnout. The start time is horrible with the traffic. Especially when the Rose Bowl is in a bad spot/location

Lonestar

The racial slur incident and something with the police in high school?

The other stuff just seems like him toying with the ncaa

A&M successfully made that arrest story go away. Amazing, I know. Should have come out right after the Alabama game. Hell, shouldn't have been let back on the team, but schools don't do that anymore, unless it's scrub players.

pxleyes

Banned
So FSU played him all year knowing there was an open investigation? That's pretty fucked up. I don't care how confident FSU was/is it wasn't him. Seems like preferential treatment for a star player.

mre

So FSU played him all year knowing there was an open investigation? That's pretty fucked up. I don't care how confident FSU was/is it wasn't him. Seems like preferential treatment for a star player.

I don't know. 11 months is a long ass time to sit him while the TPD sloooooooooooooowly investigates the claim. If he had been charged, that would be one thing, but simply being the target of an investigation isn't enough to warrant sitting him.

pxleyes

Banned
I don't know. 11 months is a long ass time to sit him while the TPD sloooooooooooooowly investigates the claim. If he had been charged, that would be one thing, but simply being the target of an investigation isn't enough to warrant sitting him.
So come out and at leat be up front about the happenings? I don't disagree with you, but it seems shady.

LegoDad

(FRI) Washington @ UCLA by 4
Cincinnati @ Rutgers by 4
North Carolina @ Pittsburgh by 4
Georgia @ Auburn by 9
Miami @ Duke by 4
Oklahoma State @ Texas by 4
Michigan State @ Nebraska by 9
Michigan @ Northwestern by 9
California @ Colorado by 4
Texas Tech vs Baylor by 20
Stanford @ USC by 9
Oregon State @ Arizona State by 4

mre

There were some posts on Bama sites this weekend about a heavy FBI presence around Bryant Denny this weekend. Today, some guy posts this little bit of news which, if true, is more than a little troubling:

Well I talked a friend who is in LE and he said its true. They were there because they believe there was a probe attack of the stadium on the tenn weekend. They arrested four or six guys wearing backpacks all trying to simultaneously sneak into the stadium at different places. They think they were probing the security to get information on how they reacted and what security measures were in place.

mcgruber

There were some posts on Bama sites this weekend about a heavy FBI presence around Bryant Denny this weekend. Today, some guy posts this little bit of news which, if true, is more than a little troubling:

Bad things happen when you poison trees?

Alarming, nonetheless.

GAF Pick'em Week 12 Games

(FRI) Washington @ UCLA by 7
Cincinnati @ Rutgers by 6
North Carolina @ Pittsburgh by 4
Georgia @ Auburn by 13
Miami @ Duke by 4
Oklahoma State @ Texas by 6
Michigan State @ Nebraska by 14
Michigan @ Northwestern by 4
California @ Colorado by 4
Texas Tech vs Baylor by 28
Stanford @ USC by 28
Oregon State @ Arizona State by 6

Draconian

Who came up with this asinine spike rule? If you spike it with 2 seconds or less left in a half, the clock is supposed to run out? That's a bunch of garbage. The NCAA never ceases to amaze me with the amount of rules they add that are complete trash and make no sense.

Lonestar

So did the news break b/c it finally got turned over to the state's attorney, or b/c it got leaked to the media?

I'm feeling like it's the latter, but there seems to be some sort of police report they're basing it off of.

But hey, Sports Journalists went a whole football season believing Teo had a dead girlfriend, or just A girlfriend.

bachikarn

(FRI) Washington @ UCLA by 14
Cincinnati @ Rutgers by 4
North Carolina @ Pittsburgh by 7
Georgia @ Auburn by 7
Miami @ Duke by 7
Oklahoma State @ Texas by 7
Michigan State @ Nebraska by 4
Michigan @ Northwestern by 4
California @ Colorado by 14
Texas Tech vs Baylor by 7
Stanford @ USC by 7
Oregon State @ Arizona State by 7

mre

It's like the rule in basketball where you cannot catch and shoot the ball if there's less than .3 seconds left.

andycapps

For Lonestar and anyone interested in the AU v. UGA game this weekend:

I think Auburn stands a really good chance in this game. While Georgia has one of the top rushing defenses in the SEC in terms of rushing yards given up, they are in the bottom third of the SEC in terms of rushing touchdowns allowed with 17. All 17 of these rushing touchdowns came in either SEC play or their game against Clemson.

I went through all of Georgia's games against SEC opponents + Clemson, removed their statistics against Georgia from the equation, and compared the rushing yards and touchdowns that Georgia allowed to their opponents average yards and touchdowns against other opponents.

Georgia has only held their opponents significantly below their season average in rushing three times this year(^1), but two of those occasions have come in big games for the Dawgs: Missouri (104 yards below their average), LSU (120 yards below their average), and Vandy (23 yards below their average). Conversely, Georgia has not allowed any team it has faced to grossly exceed its average rushing yards per game, with only South Carolina (28 yards or ~114% above their average) and Clemson (24 yards or ~114% above their average) exceeding their average rushing yards against other opponents by 10% in the Georgia game.

While Georgia is holding opponents to 85% of their average rushing yardage, they are also allowing their opponents to score ~11% more rushing TDs than their average (2.43 compared to 2.18). Georgia has only held their opponent below their average in rushing touchdowns twice this season: LSU (allowing 2 TDs to a rushing attack averaging 3) and Clemson (allowing 2 TDs to a rushing attack averaging 2.22). Georgia's opponents have significantly exceeded their average in rushing TDs in four games so far: Missouri (giving up 3 TDs to a rushing attack averaging 2.56), Tennessee (giving up 2 TDs to a rushing attack averaging 1.44), Florida (giving up 2 TDs to a rushing attack averaging 1.25), and Vandy (giving up 4 TDs to a rushing attack averaging 2.88).

I did the same for Auburn's rushing attack. Auburn's opponents (sans Ark. State, W. Carolina, and FAU), have averaged giving up 1.62 rushing TDs per game. Auburn has averaged scoring 3.00 TDs against them, which exceeds their opponents average by 1.37 TDs per game. Only Mississippi State has had any success in holding Auburn below their average in either TDs (0 vs. 3.00) or yards (120 vs. ~281).

I think Auburn has a good chance of rushing for between 240 yards and 325 yards (their average +/- 15%) and scoring 3-4 rushing TDs. I'm not sure that this will be enough to beat Georgia, so either the special teams will have to put up some points or Marshall will have to connect with Coates for a score or two to beat the Dawgs.

^1 Georgia also limited Florida to ~1 yard below its season average, by holding Florida to 145 yards against its average of 146.
Good review of the stats. The question will be if Nick Marshall can beat UGA with his arm since they'll be devoted to stopping the run. Interesting matchup, though. Fuck Auburn, Nick Fairley, Cam Newton, and Pat Dye.

Draconian

The rule of thumb as the team with the ball is that running a spike takes 3 seconds. So if there are 3 seconds or less on the clock, you don't have time for a spike and the clock will run out.

The 2 seconds rule is just a formalization of that, presumably to make officiating on this specific point more clear and more even.

This doesn't make any sense. First, spiking the ball doesn't take 3 seconds. It takes less than 2. Second, why do we need a rule for this? Aren't these plays reviewable? Are you telling me if someone snaps the ball with 2 seconds left on a running clock and the ball clearly hits the ground with time remaining on it, that they shouldn't get another play? This is ridiculous. We don't need this rule to make officiating clear and more even. That's why we have the replay booth.

bachikarn

So I take it you're not a proponent of the "Vote of Confidence = Kiss of Death" theory.

Not in this case. Foley really likes Muschamp and it sounds like he is willing to give him a mulligan for the season due to all the injuries. I think it would take a loss to Georgia Southern at this point to get him fired.

Lonestar

Good review of the stats. The question will be if Nick Marshall can beat UGA with his arm since they'll be devoted to stopping the run. Interesting matchup, though. Fuck Auburn, Nick Fairley, Cam Newton, and Pat Dye.

I say, Destroy the center of their line, and see what happens.

*I say that, because what happens could dictate what Alabama might plan on doing.

No matter what, I imagine both Georgia and Alabama will actually know what to do with Zone Read Options, unlike Tennessee.

Top Bottom