• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 12| Undefeated when playing (InsertTeamName) football

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
(FRI) Washington @ UCLA by 7
Cincinnati @ Rutgers by 7
North Carolina @ Pittsburgh by 3
Georgia @ Auburn by 10
Oklahoma State @ Texas by 3
Michigan State @ Nebraska by 7
Michigan @ Northwestern by3
California @ Colorado by 7
Texas Tech vs Baylor by 14
Stanford @ USC by 7
Oregon State @ Arizona State by 7

andycapps

I say, Destroy the center of their line, and see what happens.

*I say that, because what happens could dictate what Alabama might plan on doing.

No matter what, I imagine both Georgia and Alabama will actually know what to do with Zone Read Options, unlike Tennessee.

I agree, I'm not even sure Grantham is the right guy for our defense at this point, but if anyone knows how to stop a zone read offense, it's him. His defenses are usually very disciplined with it and shut them down. Though like most things involving our defense, hardly anyone on the team has faced an option team (in college) because they're almost all freshmen. Thing to keep in mind (like mre noted) is that Miss State and LSU held Auburn below their normal average rushing yards. UGA has a better run defense than them, mostly due to our defensive line being very experienced and talented.

A rushing offense scares me a lot less than a team that passes the ball constantly and gives the receivers chances to make plays against our vulnerable secondary.

I am going to become a Rutgers Football "positoid" poster:

Hey Draxal, shut the fuck up with your hatred of Kyle Flood. Morons like you are why Rutgers is losing recruits!

(Note: the irony of their harsh tone creating more negativity is often lost on most "positoid" posters.)

Limedust

I say, Destroy the center of their line, and see what happens.

*I say that, because what happens could dictate what Alabama might plan on doing.

No matter what, I imagine both Georgia and Alabama will actually know what to do with Zone Read Options, unlike Tennessee.

Indeed. This is one of the two games I'll be making time to watch this weekend.

Good write-up by mre, too.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I agree, I'm not even sure Grantham is the right guy for our defense at this point, but if anyone knows how to stop a zone read offense, it's him. His defenses are usually very disciplined with it and shut them down. Though like most things involving our defense, hardly anyone on the team has faced an option team (in college) because they're almost all freshmen. Thing to keep in mind (like mre noted) is that Miss State and LSU held Auburn below their normal average rushing yards. UGA has a better run defense than them, mostly due to our defensive line being very experienced and talented.

A rushing offense scares me a lot less than a team that passes the ball constantly and gives the receivers chances to make plays against our vulnerable secondary.

Two points. 1) AU ran for ~67 yards more than LSU's average (213 vs. ~146) and scored almost 2 TDs more than what LSU was giving up per game (3 vs. just over 1).

2) MSU was AU's first real test of the season and came before AU really dedicated itself to the run. Nick Marshall attempted 34 passes, and it was the only game AU has played where AU even came close to calling a balanced game with respect to the number of passes (34) called versus runs (36). Since the LSU game, AU has only attempted more than 20 passes once, against TAMU (25), but even then they still had 60 rushing attempts.

So, while MSU did hold AU's rushing attack well below its average, you have to consider that it was their first SEC game of the year and Gus was still attempting to be balanced. Since then they have sold out to the run and have had great success. I'm looking forward to watching the AU-UGA game this weekend to see if you guys can stop them and make them pass it. If you can, then I think UGA has a strong chance of winning the game. I'm still picking AU, though, in the pick 'em.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
My random guess is fsu. Do recruits normally pick the team that gets thrashed in a head to head matchup?

Recruits don't tend to care as much about individual game results as fans think they do, particularly if they're on an official visit. There is so much else going on with the campus, facilities, atmosphere, fan support, coach's interactions with players, academics, city life, teammate interactions, etc. that the actual results on the scoreboard fall down the list a bit. It's not particularly uncommon to see recruits commit to a school even if the game they're in town for ends up as a blowout loss.

You have to remember that many of these guys spend MONTHS building up relationships with the coaches. Any individual game won't have too much of an impact on where they think will be the best fit for them unless their opinion between the two teams is close to a coin flip to begin with.

Miami is still likely headed for a 10 win season and a birth in their CCG IMO which is a pretty good deal to sell to recruits even with the big FSU loss.

This weeks poster.

11W_1013Illinois_Poster_FA.jpg

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Hell, here's my prediction for the AU-UGA game: Georgia will win if: (1) they can force AU to attempt more than 22 passes; (2) they rush for more than 150 yards as a team; and (3) they win the time of possession battle by 5 minutes or more.

Auburn wins if any of these things happen: (1) Todd Gurley is held to less than 50 yards or gets knocked out of the game in the first half; (2) Marshall attempts less than 15 passes; or (3) AU rushes for their season average or greater (280 yards).

officially in the ACC on july 1st...can't wait to leave this utterly shit conference behind and watch Aresco take the whole ship down with him

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Washington @ UCLA by 7
Cincinnati @ Rutgers by 4
North Carolina @ Pittsburgh by 9
Georgia @ Auburn by 12
Miami @ Duke by 10
Oklahoma State @ Texas by 4
Michigan State @ Nebraska by 12
Michigan @ Northwestern by 6
California @ Colorado by 4
Texas Tech vs Baylor by 24
Stanford @ USC by 6
Oregon State @ Arizona State by 7

This week, I am a Georgia fan.

andycapps

Two points. 1) AU ran for ~67 yards more than LSU's average (213 vs. ~146) and scored almost 2 TDs more than what LSU was giving up per game (3 vs. just over 1).

2) MSU was AU's first real test of the season and came before AU really dedicated itself to the run. Nick Marshall attempted 34 passes, and it was the only game AU has played where AU even came close to calling a balanced game with respect to the number of passes (34) called versus runs (36). Since the LSU game, AU has only attempted more than 20 passes once, against TAMU (25), but even then they still had 60 rushing attempts.

So, while MSU did hold AU's rushing attack well below its average, you have to consider that it was their first SEC game of the year and Gus was still attempting to be balanced. Since then they have sold out to the run and have had great success. I'm looking forward to watching the AU-UGA game this weekend to see if you guys can stop them and make them pass it. If you can, then I think UGA has a strong chance of winning the game. I'm still picking AU, though, in the pick 'em.

Fair enough, Auburn has changed their playstyle throughout this season. I'm not saying UGA has a great defense at this point, but we have certainly improved statistically as the season has gone on, as young defenses tend to do.

I think the main key to this game other than line play which is always the most important thing on both sides of the ball, is going to be time of possession. I expect UGA to attempt to keep Auburn's offense off the field, so a lot of Gurley and Douglas this week. Gurley has said he's still not 100%, but has said he's in better shape than last week. I don't think anyone can really stop Gurley, but they will sell out to try to stop him which can minimize his yards per carry early in the game to 2-3, which tends to open the play action pass from Murray. That's the dimension that I'm not sure if Auburn can do once we sell out to stop their run. Especially if they're playing from behind and have to pass the ball, which takes them out of their gameplan. Gurley and Douglas will probably be more effective later in the game once play action pass is established and Auburn's defense is worn down.

Though this is all ideal, pie in the sky thinking. I still may pick Auburn.

Hell, here's my prediction for the AU-UGA game: Georgia will win if: (1) they can force AU to attempt more than 22 passes; (2) they rush for more than 150 yards as a team; and (3) they win the time of possession battle by 5 minutes or more.

Auburn wins if any of these things happen: (1) Todd Gurley is held to less than 50 yards or gets knocked out of the game in the first half; (2) Marshall attempts less than 15 passes; or (3) AU rushes for their season average or greater (280 yards).

Your keys are spot on.

Videogames?

Did they make another Final Fantasy game after X?

Seriously, I think the last videogame I beat was Suikoden IV. That was PS2, right?

I don't own a PS3, 360, or Wii.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Seriously, I think the last videogame I beat was Suikoden IV. That was PS2, right?

Think so.

Think I might have played that game, but mostly remember Suikoden III. Shame the series has died, they were a nice other option from FF.

P7Jadz5.jpg

AHHH YISSS

Now, to find some games to play on it...

Mine too. I don't play shooters hardly at all, so I finagled a BOGO from Amazon to get Killzone and Call of Duty for $60 total. Now if my football team could find a way to play a game...
Had to add the lame pun to keep it on topic.

andycapps

Mine too. I don't play shooters hardly at all, so I finagled a BOGO from Amazon to get Killzone and Call of Duty for $60 total. Now if my football team could find a way to play a game...
Had to add the lame pun to keep it on topic.

If I were buying day 1 I'd be most excited for Resogun and Killzone. Was a huge Killzone 2 fan as well as Super Stardust HD. Battefield 4 is the only other game I'm really interested in with the launch lineup, though Knack looks like it could be some decent fun if I could pick up in a BOGO deal.

Jeff-DSA

(FRI) Washington @ UCLA by 7
Cincinnati @ Rutgers by 3
North Carolina @ Pittsburgh by 3
Georgia @ Auburn by 4
Miami @ Duke by 10
Oklahoma State @ Texas by 7
Michigan State @ Nebraska by 7
Michigan @ Northwestern by 3
California @ Colorado by 6
Texas Tech vs Baylor by 17
Stanford @ USC by 13
Oregon State @ Arizona State by 10

impirius

I just hope our PS4 arrives early tomorrow so we can get on the road to Columbia at a reasonable time.

UF deserves payback for the crap they pulled last year! (Specifically, kicking the ball off to initiate the Gamecocks' self-destruct sequence)

Schmitty

(FRI) Washington @ UCLA by 6
Cincinnati @ Rutgers by 10
North Carolina @ Pittsburgh by 7
Georgia @ Auburn by 6
Miami @ Duke by4
Oklahoma State @ Texas by 10
Michigan State @ Nebraska by 4
Michigan @ Northwestern by4
California @ Colorado by 6
Texas Tech vs Baylor by 14
Stanford @ USC by 12
Oregon State @ Arizona State by 6

Lonestar

Violently.

Pretty much. Think there was a V (that's 5, dammitttmatt), and the series never came back.

Been so long ago, I'm not sure what exactly happened. I think most people hated IV so much, they never bothered with V (which I want to say, was an improvement, but not good enough).

I liked that the overall series had lots of connections to each other, but with the series dying, lots of the overall story that never got told, died with it.

Probably the funniest Football related thing SBNation has done

Draxal

I actually kinda liked Suikoden Teikreis for the DS even though the voice acting is horrific.

Bravely Default is the only hope for Tradional JRPGs right now

Quake1028

Miami is still likely headed for a 10 win season and a birth in their CCG IMO which is a pretty good deal to sell to recruits even with the big FSU loss.

10 wins, eh, maybe. CCG, no. VaTech only has Maryland and Virginia left. They would have to massively shit the bed for us to get back into it, and that's assuming we win 3 straight, which is no guarantee without Duke Johnson.

andycapps

Pretty much. Think there was a V (that's 5, dammitttmatt), and the series never came back.

Been so long ago, I'm not sure what exactly happened. I think most people hated IV so much, they never bothered with V (which I want to say, was an improvement, but not good enough).

I liked that the overall series had lots of connections to each other, but with the series dying, lots of the overall story that never got told, died with it.

True, you have to break it down for Auburn grads.

Limedust

Pretty much. I have all five of them sitting in a box in the closet somewhere... that was back when I played videogames, and all.

Sirpopopop said:
Videogames?

Did they make another Final Fantasy game after X?

I don't own a PS3, 360, or Wii.

Yep.

Lonestar

Holy shit.
head.gif

:jnc

oh man, he's got a series of these. Breaking Madden.

Week 10: Johnson & Johnson......... &Johnson&Johnson&Johnson&Johnson&Johnson&Johnson&Johnson&Johnson&Johnson&Johnson&Johnson&Johnson&Johnson&Johnson&Johnson&Johnson&Johnson&Johnson&Johnson&Johnson&Johnson&Johnson

A Schiano Man's ratings:
Tampa needs 22 Schiano Men

After looking it up, I think Greg Schiano might have the most profoundly anagrammable name in existence. Check these out:

- Cashier Gong
- Caging Heros
- Aching Ogres
- Narc Shoe Gig
- Ginger Chaos
- Raging Echos
- Hag Cosigner
- Acne Hog Rigs

Lonestar

http://www.maizenbrew.com/2013/11/14/5101592/new-blue-de-dashawn-hand-michigan-football-recruiting-jabrill-peppers-alabama-florida
Read before they change it, DEWEY BEAT TRUMAN situation

It's already gone. Here is the text:

New Blue: Da'Shawn Hand
By Anthony Mammel  @AnthonyFMammel on Nov 14 2013, 9:37a +

Michigan is ecstatic to get an elite talent up front - Rick Osentoski-USA TODAY Sports
Michigan secured the top defensive end in the class of 2014 today, giving a currently lagging program some hope for the future. Just how good can Da'Shawn become, and how did he end up committing to Michigan?

TWEET (25) SHARE (1)  SHARE + COMMENTS

After a long, hard-fought recruiting war, the University of Michigan has received its verbal pledge from arguably the best recruit in the history of the program; the only other recruit who compares to Da'Shawn in terms of ratings happens to be Jabrill Peppers, who will be putting receivers on an island while Hand makes life a living hell for passers. As many know, Michigan desperately needs an infusion of rare talent, making this commitment even more important than many thought it could be.

Da'Shawn is elite in every facet of the game. He checks in at 6'4", possessing the length needed to keep offensive tackles at bay. He weighs in around 260 pounds yet keeps his body fat to a minimum, looking much more like a linebacker than a defensive lineman in street clothes.

It's obvious why Hand is a unanimous five-star selection when you combine his impressive physique with his abilities on the field. Explosion is crucial at the defensive end position, and Da'Shawn flashes it on every rep he takes. He gets around four-star 2013 OT Alex Redmond with relative ease here:

No, that isn't even close to being Hand's best jump off of the ball, but it also displays the skill that sets him apart from similar defensive ends: strength on the edge. Redmond actually does a decent job of staying in front of Da'Shawn, who turns out to be much too strong for the high school senior (Hand was one of the few juniors selected to attend the camp). Even if Hand doesn't get the edge, he's strong enough to hold a tackle on a line and walk him into the passer, or bully a run blocker into his own ball carrier. He does this on tape again and again.

Violent hands are also crucial when battling blockers, and Hand has some of the strongest paws I've seen in quite some time. His ability to fight blockers off with his hands is something that stems from his brute strength. JC Shurburtt of 247 Sports compares him to a current Ohio State Buckeye:

The 6-foot-5, 254-pounder reminds us a bit of current Ohio State defensive end Noah Spence with the various things that he can do. No pun intended, but it's Hand's hands that set him apart.
Spence is a fantastic player; Hand is a rare player. You would be hard-pressed to find another defensive end prospect who stacks up as well as Hand does from top to bottom. Da'Shawn will dominate tackles in the pass game with his explosiveness and can move further inside to plug the run with his legs and violent hands; young defensive ends capable of dominating both the run and pass are few and far between.

Off of the football field, Hand is a leader in the classroom and aspires to build his own stadium. He'll study sport management at Michigan, which could one day lead to him owning a team and the money needed to put a stadium up for it.

The academics at Michigan that could lead to Hand owning his own team are the reason why he chose Michigan. Virginia Tech looked like the heavy favorite when recruiting picked up for the young phenom, but the Hokies' lead slipped away as time went on, eventually leading to him naming an unordered top three of Alabama, Florida and Michigan.

It was clear that Da'Shawn favored Michigan not long after he named his top three. An initial visit to Michigan's campus went extremely well, allowing him to bond with Greg Mattison and Brady Hoke – the two were part of Hand's favorite coaching staff, as stated by himself a multitude of times. That lead grew as weeks and months passed, leaving many analysts to believe that Hand was a lock to end up in Ann Arbor.

And then Nick Saban happened. The Alabama Crimson Tide football staff went to work on Hand leading up to his recent official visit, softening the lead before he reached campus. The visit went well:

Michigan's lead looked to be melting away, much like the apparent lead Virginia Tech held earlier on in the recruiting war. A visit to Florida went well but seemed to be too little and too late, as Hand hadn't seen the Florida campus before the visit and was deciding only days after it. This would come down to Michigan and Alabama.

After a few nervous days that saw Michigan's fan base break down in nervous tears, Hand chose the Wolverines. Nick Saban's offer of coaching and a near guaranteed spot in the National Football League was trumped by Brady Hoke's offer of coaching from Greg Mattison, paired with one of the best sport management degrees in world.

Michigan fans can breathe a bit easier now that Hand is on board. Outside of horrific interior offensive line play, the team's biggest weakness is its lacks of consistent pass rush on defense. Da'Shawn will help turn that weakness into a strength as his career at Michigan moves forward, which should lead to more victories.

Lonestar

Paul Finebaum ‏@finebaum 5m
Obviously, the Saban to Texas rumors have really bothered the nation's top football recruit.

oh PAAAAWWWLLL

C.J. Schexnayder ‏@kleph 4m
gotta admit, a recruit picking alabama and citing the engineering school for his choice is the most epic auburn, TAMU troll ever.

:lol

Lonestar

haven't kept up alot on the big names this year, but if we can just end with Marlon Humphrey, I'll be more than satisfied with Cam Robinson, Hand, and him (on top of what looks like another fantastic class). But we really needed the next LT, a big time DLine/LB Pass rusher, and a #1 corner.

Well, maybe not NEEDED, but those are nice things to have on top of everything else.

LF might be a better potential RB than any we've had, but we have way too many RB's now.

Top Bottom