• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 15| Where rankings are made up & SEC losses don't matter

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're just jealous because if the Big XII went to divisions you may be able to dodge the weakest teams and thus go undefeated.

Could be wrong, of course, but I don't think draft position matters as much to him as losing his amateur status does.

yeah thats true. He could go undrafted and move back to college station to sign autographs for a living while finishing up school. Of course, if his tweet about wanting to get the hell out of college station had truth to it, he could transfer to another school to sign his autographs there and have them mailed to college station outlets.

Although in reality, he'll probably be a backup/practice squad guy and would be able to sell autographs while sitting on the bench.

:lol at the Sark press conference

re: lying about talking to Pat about the USC job

Sark: "I was worried about the 105 kids up there, and the 105 kids down here..."
(offscreen): "48"
Sark: "48? Is that it?"

(laughter)

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Texas A&M's Kyle Field has killed a man.

Construction worker fell from a level, and died. 25 years old.

Karakand

I didn't. The ghost of John Wooden looms large, I guess?

A bad AD, bad facilities, and firing a coach that won a bad conference and had 2 Final Four appearances also probably didn't help.

This all lead to a guy with a single Steve 16 appearance getting a 10 year contract with a ridiculous buyout.

You're just jealous because if the Big XII went to divisions you may be able to dodge the weakest teams and thus go undefeated.

that didn't exactly work out in 2011 :p

S4FMEcX.png

something something SEC schedules

edit: oh my even some SEC CBS broadcasters don't believe Auburn should jump OSU, pack it up

Looool, it's now been 34 years since osu has won a big 10 coach of the year

I thought it would have gone to Jerry Kill. It always seems to go to teams that exceed expectations, and with everything that's gone on with him, I thought he'd be a shoo in. I have no idea how you would've given it to him and not given a special not to his assistants, though.

I thought it would have gone to Jerry Kill. It always seems to go to teams that exceed expectations, and with everything that's gone on with him, I thought he'd be a shoo in. I have no idea how you would've given it to him and not given a special not to his assistants, though.

True, couldn't give to kill but instead the whole coaching staff. I just find it funny they give it to dantonio after he had a shitty year last year.

cdyhybrid

Some thoughts out there that if we hire Nuss, he might try and bring Kirby Smart with him. The thinking is that it might be easier for Smart to get a HC job if he gets out of Saban's shadow over the defense.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
The other side to the whole "Mizzou not playing the top teams in conference", plays into the inability to know the future. Could anyone predict the fallout of Florida and Georgia falling apart from injuries, and A&M's dwindling ability to win games.

Going in, they had games against 4 teams that had a combined 45-8 record (.849) in 2012, and those same 4 teams went on to (currently) have a 30-18 record (.625). A 20-16 record for the 3 teams that aren't South Carolina.

They still beat Ole Miss (winner over one of the supposed "other top 4"), and lost on a bad luck kick in a multiple OT game. A clank off the pole, on a 24 yard field goal, is all that stands between being #1/#2, and where they are at now.

cdyhybrid: I've also heard rumblings of looking at Gary Pinkel, him having Washington ties (and Don James ties).

Tamanon

Banned
Went to Greenville to look for apartments over the weekend and show my fiance the East Carolina campus. Turns out, some idiots pushed over the PeeDee the Pirate statue on campus, so it's been removed.

Animals.

cdyhybrid

cdyhybrid: I've also heard rumblings of looking at Gary Pinkel, him having Washington ties (and Don James ties).

People have brought him up, but I don't see him leaving Mizzou now. He's getting old and Mizzou is in great shape in a great conference.

Karl2177

Either you didn't read my post right or you think 8th place ISU was not one of the weakest teams in the conference that season.

I know people give OSU a ton of shit for that game, but our 2011 team was our best since the 2005 Meyer to Blythe team.

Karakand

Jim Mora's new extension puts him in the top 15 highest coaching salaries? Give me a break.

Thanks Washington.

Thanks Chianti, you really are a Randian caricature of a career bureaucrat.

cdyhybrid

Jim Mora's new extension puts him in the top 15 highest coaching salaries? Give me a break.

Thanks Washington.

Thanks Chianti, you really are a Randian caricature of a career bureaucrat.

We tried to take him off your hands for $4MM+ but he wouldn't go for it!

FSU peeps have the same level of cockiness i had going into the 06 game.

I was going to say something about how FSU has blown out every team they've played so I can understand the cockiness. Then I looked at OSU's 2006 schedule and they blew every team out as well (except for Michigan in the final game of the regular season). And then they got absolutely SMOKED by UF in the MNC. lol

Limedust

One month off is a big deal. Good teams can get rusty with that much of a break.

Meyer obviously knows the drill.

How has FSU typically fared in bowls under Fisher?

Kevtones

Looks like Grasu is coming back too. Hopefully they'll be able to fix some of the weakness on the interior of the line.

Yeah. Snapping issues were prevalent this year.

Feel like Oregon's sputters have really come down to Mariota's health. That and the inconsistent d-line play.

Doubt Ike or DAT return. The latter should though.

cdyhybrid

Coaching carousel paranoia:

The article/press release on Mora's extension at UCLA is now gone from their website and there is no mention of it on their AD/Football Twitter accounts.

Edit: It's back now.

One month off is a big deal. Good teams can get rusty with that much of a break.

Meyer obviously knows the drill.

How has FSU typically fared in bowls under Fisher?

3-0 as head coach. He was coach-in-waiting for a couple of years, too. Florida State's last bowl loss was in 2007 to the feared Kentucky Wildcats.

Schmitty

(THU) Louisville @ Cincinnati by 6
(FRI) Bowling Green vs. Northern Illinois by 4
Oklahoma @ Oklahoma State by 7
UCF @ SMU by 6
Marshall @ Rice by 6
Texas @ Baylor by 11
Missouri vs. Auburn by 4 Auburn's luck has run out!
South Florida @ Rutgers by 8
Stanford @ Arizona State by 4
Duke vs. Florida State by 10
Ohio State vs. Michigan State by 6 I want to see MSU get the win but I think OSU pulls away
Utah State @ Fresno State by 7

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
http://www.oregonlive.com/pac-12/in...s_coaching_search_has_already_begun_athl.html

SEATTLE – Steve Sarkisian has accepted the position as head football coach at USC and will begin his duties with the Trojans immediately.

Sarkisian spent five seasons as Washington's head coach, leading the Huskies to four bowl trips, including a yet-to-be-determined game this year. In five years, he compiled a record of 34-29, including an 8-4 overall mark this year.

“On behalf of the University of Washington, I want to thank Steve Sarkisian for the past five years of service to our institution," UW athletic director Scott Woodward said. "Steve has led the rebuilding of our program to new heights and we are in a much better position than when he arrived. I am happy for Steve and his family as they can return home and I wish them the best of luck in the future.

"The search for Steve’s successor has already begun," Woodward continued. "I will work hard in the coming days to find the absolute best fit for the University of Washington but I will not comment on or speculate about the process. We have tremendous tradition, fan base and a world-class institution, and I am confident we will find the right man. We will compete for Pac-12 and national championships and we will do so with class, integrity, sportsmanship and a commitment to our student-athletes. That promise is at the forefront of my mind as I embark on finding our next football coach."

When asked if Woodward had reached out to University of Alabama head coach Nick Saban about the possibility of leaving the SEC for the Pac-12, Woodward paused before replying, "Did you even watch the Iron Bowl"?

(THU) Louisville @ Cincinnati by 14
(FRI) Bowling Green vs. Northern Illinois by 17
Oklahoma @ Oklahoma State by 7
UCF @ SMU by 13
Marshall @ Rice by 7
Texas @ Baylor by 7
Missouri vs. Auburn by 4
South Florida @ Rutgers by 4
Stanford @ Arizona State by 7
Duke vs. Florida State by 21
Ohio State vs. Michigan State by 10
Utah State @ Fresno State by 10

UF/Gainesville GAF. Do you guys know why Joaquin Phoenix is always hanging around Gainesville?

You mean Leaf Phoenix, of course. His family lives on a farm outside of town. Major hippies (kids' names are Rain, Summer, etc). He used to skateboard with a friend of mine growing up. He's always at the Top. I think he said once that he just really likes the city.

William H Macy is also a regular at the Top. He has a house in Micanopy, I think.

Travolta used to hang around all the time too, but that was ten years ago. He told some sorority girl in line at Blockbuster (I told you it was a long time ago), who was asking her friend about "Michael", that it wasn't very good.

Jeff-DSA

THU) Louisville @ Cincinnati by 13
(FRI) Bowling Green vs. Northern Illinois by 17
Oklahoma @ Oklahoma State by 10
UCF @ SMU by 14
Marshall @ Rice by 3
Texas @ Baylor by 17
Missouri vs. Auburn by 7
South Florida @ Rutgers by 6
Stanford @ Arizona State by 4
Duke vs. Florida State by 21
Ohio State vs. Michigan State by 7
Utah State @ Fresno State by 6

You mean Leaf Phoenix, of course. His family lives on a farm outside of town. Major hippies (kids' names are Rain, Summer, etc). He used to skateboard with a friend of mine growing up. He's always at the Top. I think he said once that he just really likes the city.

William H Macy is also a regular at the Top. He has a house in Micanopy, I think.

Travolta used to hang around all the time too, but that was ten years ago. He told some sorority girl in line at Blockbuster (I told you it was a long time ago), who was asking her friend about "Michael", that it wasn't very good.

themoreyouknow

Interesting stuff, he would go to the Top...

KingGondo

Banned
Either you didn't read my post right or you think 8th place ISU was not one of the weakest teams in the conference that season.

I know people give OSU a ton of shit for that game, but our 2011 team was our best since the 2005 Meyer to Blythe team.
Guys, please quit bringing that game up. It 'a killing my Bedlam mojo. :-(

And no offense Karl, but we deserve shit for that game. Anytime you give up a 24 point lead it's inexcusable. That was a decent ISU team, but that OSU team beats it 98 times out of 100.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom