• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 15| Where rankings are made up & SEC losses don't matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCX

I could not think of a better week to be a Spartan in Ann Arbor. So much salt everywhere. To top it off, on my drive home, I saw a car with Spartan and Buckeye logos on the back.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Doesn't feel like any part of the team really did all that well, aside from (maybe) the receivers. Kicking obviously stunk. Coates being wide open was a complete bust by the secondary. 300 years allowed on the ground is not acceptable... nothing was good.
Even the receivers had drops of some catchable balls.

andycapps

Pretty much. Giving up 300 yards on the ground is embarrassing and I hope the D-Line feels bad. Like, "just found out that the Turboman action figure they wanted their dad to buy them for Christmas was all sold out" sad.

So what does this mean to Saban's "process." Did he not teach his process correctly? Did the players not understand the process, or did they just not execute it? For someone as obsessed with the details as he is, that game had to get under his skin since multiple facets were not clicking.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
So what does this mean to Saban's "process." Did he not teach his process correctly? Did the players not understand the process, or did they just not execute it? For someone as obsessed with the details as he is, that game had to get under his skin since multiple facets were not clicking.
To me it means that either (1) the coaches failed to teach how to defend against the read option or (2) the players felt they could beat Auburn on talent alone and decided that they didn't really have to play assignment football.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I'd say most people would agree that the level of vitriol coming from Bama fans is a bit absurd considering the embarrassment of riches they've enjoyed the past four years.

It's got to match the vitriol spewed at Alabama from everyone else after the loss.

I mean, it's been turned into something "bigger than The Play", apparently single-handedly undo 6 years of fantastic football, and dozens of unknown people just swarm into the topic to laugh about it. Who were those people? Besides Dammittmatt, of course.

None of it should lead to shootings (Miami Heat related or not), or Death Threats (shouldn't happen, but Foster also shouldn't kick for Alabama again, if he instills so little faith to kick a FG from the 13 yard line), or facebook photo's of garbage can's filled with Alabama gear (yeah, I've seen that)

About the defense: Miss Tackles mostly, and poor CB and outside LB play, with not doing their assignments. Cyrus Jones should have stayed at WR. HCD also had his worst game.

Auburn is a triple option team, just ran out of something other than a wishbone/flexbone formation, and less cut blocks, but more tempo. Triple Option will get their yards.

See it more as an execution problem, on both players and coaches. Players for incorrect assignments, and coaches for not having a simplified play calling system to get plays setup or planned, to keep up with the HUNH.

I don't think anybody* outside the great state of Alabama thinks of this loss as anything more than "well, just wasn't Bama's year." Nothing's taking away those 3 championships in 4 years, it simply won't be a 4th in 5 years.

Inside the great state of Alabama, I have no idea what yall are doing. Sort that out among yourselves.

*This being the internet, of course you have a small number of extremely vocal loons. Ignore those people.

So an FSU fan threatened a bar full of Gator fans with a machete. I have to say, I expect that from a Miami fan, not FSU fans. Maybe he was from Wakulla.

Lonestar

Seeing people say that Florida will now forgo trying to become a Pro Style offense like Muschamp wanted. Still too many Spread-type players. Will go back to Spread and do HUNH, and they're on our schedule early.

yay

I could not think of a better week to be a Spartan in Ann Arbor. So much salt everywhere. To top it off, on my drive home, I saw a car with Spartan and Buckeye logos on the back.

This weekend should be a good introduction to The Triangle of Hate in the East next year.

Michigan played their role of mini-boss well.

This weekend should be a good introduction to The Triangle of Hate in the East next year.

Michigan played their role of mini-boss well.

I'm glad we'll get to play you guys every single year from now on.

If our long and storied rivalry with Illinois has to suffer in order for it to be possible, so be it.

KingGondo

Banned
ku-xlarge.jpg

andycapps

To me it means that either (1) the coaches failed to teach how to defend against the read option or (2) the players felt they could beat Auburn on talent alone and decided that they didn't really have to play assignment football.

It's got to match the vitriol spewed at Alabama from everyone else after the loss.

I mean, it's been turned into something "bigger than The Play", apparently single-handedly undo 6 years of fantastic football, and dozens of unknown people just swarm into the topic to laugh about it. Who were those people? Besides Dammittmatt, of course.

None of it should lead to shootings (Miami Heat related or not), or Death Threats (shouldn't happen, but Foster also shouldn't kick for Alabama again, if he instills so little faith to kick a FG from the 13 yard line), or facebook photo's of garbage can's filled with Alabama gear (yeah, I've seen that)

About the defense: Miss Tackles mostly, and poor CB and outside LB play, with not doing their assignments. Cyrus Jones should have stayed at WR. HCD also had his worst game.

Auburn is a triple option team, just ran out of something other than a wishbone/flexbone formation, and less cut blocks, but more tempo. Triple Option will get their yards.

See it more as an execution problem, on both players and coaches. Players for incorrect assignments, and coaches for not having a simplified play calling system to get plays setup or planned, to keep up with the HUNH.

The problem with the read option and the triple option is the amount of time that you have to prepare for it and how soundly the players play their gaps and assignments. Every player on the defense has to execute their role on every play because everyone is being blocked either on their feet or having their legs cut out from under them.

The one area where I think Coach Grantham from Georgia does well is actually in his zone read defense or defense against the triple option. He vowed his first year that he won't lose to a triple option team while he's there, and so far he hasn't. The problem when playing those types of teams is that when you get so focused on the option, it opens up the pass and they're usually in single coverage. So those teams usually don't pass much but when they do, they're usually for big gains.

I sure hope my luck holds out this week. Gotta get back into first place so I can think up a stupid thread name!

GAF Pick'em Week 15 Games

(THU) Louisville @ Cincinnati by 6
(FRI) Bowling Green vs. Northern Illinois by 7
Oklahoma @ Oklahoma State by 9
UCF @ SMU by 4
Marshall @ Rice by 5
Texas @ Baylor by 7
Missouri vs. Auburn by 4
South Florida @ Rutgers by 4
Stanford @ Arizona State by 4 Very hard to beat the same team twice
Duke vs. Florida State by 26
Ohio State vs. Michigan State by 4 UPSET SPECIAL: BELIEVE
Utah State @ Fresno State by 6

USF @ Rutgers is a tough pick this week. I hate picking games involving two shitty teams. They're much harder to handicap in my opinion.

Lonestar

Would you tip a waiter if they slapped you in the face?
Disparaged the clothes you wore?
Forgot to bring the fucking biscuits again?

Roll Tahd PAWL

Branduil

Would you tip a waiter if they slapped you in the face?
Disparaged the clothes you wore?
Forgot to bring the fucking biscuits again?

Roll Tahd PAWL

All I'm saying is don't take it out on the waiter/waitress just because your special teams suck.

Limedust

All I'm saying is don't take it out on the waiter/waitress just because your special teams suck.

No clue what the real circumstances are, but nobody automatically owes anybody anything. If my waiter/waitress acts like a dick, then I wouldn't tip, either.

Kevtones

We want Bama
in the Orange Bowl

Just saying. If there was ever a year to spurn traditional bowl partners it's the final year of the BCS. Would be special.

Draxal

In other Rutgers news:

Apparently if Kyle Flood beat UConn & USF the powers that be would have retained him..

For the life of me, that's the incompetence of the Rutgers AD - where you can prove you deserve to keep your job by beating two incredibly horrible teams. Luckily Flood already botched it by losing to UConn.

Still, this doesn't give me faith that the university will do the right thing and move on Ed Orgeron quickly. It's abundantly clear that Julie Hermann has no fucking clue what she's doing. I'm considering writing her a letter to tell her to go back to Louisville.

I'm indifferent to Hermann, but it would have been very hard for her to get enough support from the BOG/BOT (basically these are the guys we should be pissed off at right now) to fire him if he had a winning record.

I've seen the original post that you've referenced and that post also mentioned that a good amount within the AD want to fire him, its just the money issue right now.

Lonestar

Kenyan Drake™ ‏@KDx17 50m
Just to clear the air I did NOT get hurt during the game on Saturday

Well then...

judahful10
34 minutes ago
Salute to my lil brudda @_ha6 ( @HaHa_CD6 twitter) My young bull pushed through the pain and played wit a torn meniscus for the squad. I'm prayin that your surgery went well and that you have a speedy recovery. You a warrior fam. GOD got so many blessings coming your way and got you through it all so just remember that #IslandBoySalute @_ha6 @_ha6 @_ha6 @_ha6 @_ha6 @_ha6

Well then...that explains why there were rumors of him missing the game, just thought they were false when he played. Guess he (Clinton-Dix) will be ready for whatever bowl we'll be in.

You guys, the other night a hispanic guy stopped me in the supermarket and asked me to "stop selling out the culture," referring to hip-hop... and that as a "white guy, with a beard" I had "the power" to change things and that I should tell my family and friends to stop selling out the culture, because white people don't know what it's like to be poor and have hardship, unless you're white trash.

I didn't really want to make a whole thread on it, but I felt like sharing it because it was so, so weird. So I guess, you guys, maybe stop selling out the culture? I don't know. Think about it.

BuckeyeGAF: Is there another blog/message board that you guys read or visit on a regular basis? I've been trying to get down with Eleven Warriors, because the writing is great, but the tinfoil hat, "ESPN is solely out to get us" thing going on in the forums is getting to be a bit much.

I'm indifferent to Hermann, but it would have been very hard for her to get enough support from the BOG/BOT (basically these are the guys we should be pissed off at right now) to fire him if he had a winning record.

I've seen the original post that you've referenced and that post also mentioned that a good amount within the AD want to fire him, its just the money issue right now.

The money issue is ridiculous. It's untrue. It's a lie peddled by an administration accustomed to lying. There is no way they have to pay the full salaries for the assistant coaches for the entire damn year, when they've already been paid for half the year.

As for getting support from the BOG/BOT - she doesn't need their support for this at all. Certainly not the BOT as they only control certain university assets and put some seats on the BOG.

Sounds like Wyoming might be going after Tedford.

Also, I'm surprised to hear that Cal is one of Joe Mixon's top four schools along with UCLA, Oklahoma, and Wisconsin. I assume Cal is a serious long shot given their woes this season and poor outlook for the future.

BuckeyeGAF: Is there another blog/message board that you guys read or visit on a regular basis? I've been trying to get down with Eleven Warriors, because the writing is great, but the tinfoil hat, "ESPN is solely out to get us" thing going on in the forums is getting to be a bit much.

Don't visit team specific forums, they're all how you describe above. I come here for cfb talk and that's it

truly101

I got grudge sucked!

There isn't a team message board or sports forum that doesn't believe this though. I say go with the group that has the fewest idiots and will allow for some divergent opinions

I follow 11W and Land Grant Holy Land, but I don't participate in either community regularly. I read the content and that's it.

As bucknut said, team-specific communities of any type are scary places. Aside from the obvious hive mind issues, it's simply not fun or interesting when everyone is on the same side.

andycapps

You guys, the other night a hispanic guy stopped me in the supermarket and asked me to "stop selling out the culture," referring to hip-hop... and that as a "white guy, with a beard" I had "the power" to change things and that I should tell my family and friends to stop selling out the culture, because white people don't know what it's like to be poor and have hardship, unless you're white trash.

I didn't really want to make a whole thread on it, but I felt like sharing it because it was so, so weird. So I guess, you guys, maybe stop selling out the culture? I don't know. Think about it.

So white people can only have beards if they're poor.
I have a beard

you guys to lose 49-38 or something to FSU confirmed :p

LOL as if tOSU could score 38 points on FSU. Clemson only managed 14 (one of which was during garbage time) on their home field. Most teams are lucky to score 14.

I follow 11W and Land Grant Holy Land, but I don't participate in either community regularly. I read the content and that's it.

As bucknut said, team-specific communities of any type are scary places. Aside from the obvious hive mind issues, it's simply not fun or interesting when everyone is on the same side.

Yeah, the comment threads on Tomahawk Nation are only good if you're looking for the FSU circlejerk meme machine. And when I want that, TN provides it in droves. When I don't, I come here or to r/cfb on reddit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom