• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 15| Where rankings are made up & SEC losses don't matter

Status
Not open for further replies.
While in my sane, rational mind, I know that there is nothing we can say or do that has any impact whatsoever on a sports outcome. But my insane, irrational mind... the mind that believes that if i turn the volume down, my favorite team's player is less likely to miss a free throw, or if I don't watch, my least favorite team is less likely to win, or a bunch of other craziness... that mind says that all of you are helping talk Ohio State into a 24-10 victory over the Seminoles. Stop it. Cut it out right now.

I follow 11W and Land Grant Holy Land, but I don't participate in either community regularly. I read the content and that's it.

As bucknut said, team-specific communities of any type are scary places. Aside from the obvious hive mind issues, it's simply not fun or interesting when everyone is on the same side.

Yeah, I think the last straw for me was when they spent the whole season whining about Kirk Herbstreit, calling him a "fake Buckeye" and all that, until he defended OSU on the BCS show last Sunday, and now all is forgiven. Any dissenting opinion gets downvoted into oblivion, which is another concept I don't get nor do I agree with.

I mean, I mainly lurk and post here, but I wanted to try another place, and it was just such a lousy experience, I don't think I'll bother anymore.

edit: I'd try the College Football Reddit, but my Old Man Internet Brain can't ever make heads or tails of it.

Draxal

The money issue is ridiculous. It's untrue. It's a lie peddled by an administration accustomed to lying. There is no way they have to pay the full salaries for the assistant coaches for the entire damn year, when they've already been paid for half the year.

As for getting support from the BOG/BOT - she doesn't need their support for this at all. Certainly not the BOT as they only control certain university assets and put some seats on the BOG.

Ayup, should have specified the BOG, as I know the BOT is only there to protect Rutgers assets.

Pernetti basically had to beg the BOG to fire Hill at the time, when everybody knew he should have been gone.

I really do think Hermann wants Flood gone though, not her hire and she saw what Kraglethorpe did to Louisville

I follow 11W and Land Grant Holy Land, but I don't participate in either community regularly. I read the content and that's it.

As bucknut said, team-specific communities of any type are scary places. Aside from the obvious hive mind issues, it's simply not fun or interesting when everyone is on the same side.

Well, I highly doubt that everybody is on same side on those message boards, Rutgers's rivals page has been in a civil for like 4 years, and I'm not naive enough to believe that it's only unique to us

They are truly scary places though.

LOL as if tOSU could score 38 points on FSU. Clemson only managed 14 (one of which was during garbage time) on their home field. Most teams are lucky to score 14.

BC somehow managed to put up close to that much. Clemson just shit the bed in that game. Teams have managed to do okay against FSU with the short game. BC is a run first team and they managed to gain 200 yards on the ground, and a lot of those passing yards came from short drop offs to the running back.

The problem is you can't maintain that game when FSU has a habit of going up big early in the game.

cdyhybrid

Daniel Buerge ‏@danielbuergeLA 11m
Sources tell me Washington offered to double Jim Mora’s current salary if he accepts position to coach the Huskies.

Lane Kiffin out as a potential OC for Florida. Apparently there was interest. But I'm guessing Foley brought the hammer down on that.

Piggus

Lane Kiffin out as a potential OC for Florida. Apparently there was interest. But I'm guessing Foley brought the hammer down on that.

We all know where Kiffin is going.

6VH5xRA.jpg

If Mora goes to UW, this week is seriously fucking ruined.

UCLA seems like a more desirable job than Washington, but a really aggressive contract from Washington could shift the scale. Looks like thats what Washington is trying to do. If Mora hasn't come out by now to say he's sticking with UCLA, I think at this point he's posturing for a contract extention counter offer from UCLA

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member

Texas Tech communities haven't had to worry about that for the past 4 years.

Sarye

The money issue is ridiculous. It's untrue. It's a lie peddled by an administration accustomed to lying. There is no way they have to pay the full salaries for the assistant coaches for the entire damn year, when they've already been paid for half the year.

Is Flood being fired a done deal? or are you just speculating? I really hope so. I just can't believe how inept this coaching staff is... especially Flood and Cohen. We seriously make any quarterback look like superstars out there.

Plus there's something wrong with our strength and conditioning. We seem to have been blasted with more injuries then I can remember... all shoulder injuries. It was so bad we couldn't field a full scout team for practice last week.

Texas Tech communities haven't had to worry about that for the past 4 years.

There was a bit of division when the Tress/Tattoo shit went down. The Fick season was pretty rough, as you'd expect. But once we got Urbz, everyone was back on the same page.

Only a handful of idiots actually miss Tress.

... team-specific communities of any type are scary places. Aside from the obvious hive mind issues, it's simply not fun or interesting when everyone is on the same side.

Spoken like someone whose team is 12-0, or 24-0 if you prefer. There's plenty of diverging opinions and arguments when you're 7-5.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Saw this on a WSU message board:
From the Bruin forums.

Re: UW has made the offer to Mora

ESPN 710 reported that Mora has given Guerrero 24 hours to meet his demands for upgraded facilities and increased salaries for his assistant coaches or he will take the UW job.

Posted: Today 12:47

Sounds somewhat suspicious.

FSU peeps have the same level of cockiness i had going into the 06 game.

I didn't understand it back then, and I don't understand it now. Maybe because I came of age as a fan during the Cooper Years, but I had an incredible uneasiness going into any bowl game. I posted more on here back in those days-I wasn't confident at all about Ohio State winning that game. I loosened up a bit after the opening kick return, and then for some reason the game got cancelled, and nothing else happened after that.

KingGondo

Banned
I'd be willing to play a round robin. 11 conference games and 1 OOC.
As long as the rest of the conferences agreed to it, sure. FWIW, I miss the days when the Big 12 had a championship game. That was fun.

I think Mizzou is good, but the best team they've played was USCe, who they were beaten by at home.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
The SEC needs to get real and play a round robin schedule.

Everyone else needs to get real and acquire more teams, making it impossible to have a round robin.

Leading to:

Everyone needs to get real and form 4 superconferences and get out of the NCAA.

Talon

I didn't understand it back then, and I don't understand it now. Maybe because I came of age as a fan during the Cooper Years, but I had an incredible uneasiness going into any bowl game. I posted more on here back in those days-I wasn't confident at all about Ohio State winning that game. I loosened up a bit after the opening kick return, and then for some reason the game got cancelled, and nothing else happened after that.
All I remember is:

"Oh God, Derrick Harvey is literally devouring Alex Boone."

BC somehow managed to put up close to that much. Clemson just shit the bed in that game. Teams have managed to do okay against FSU with the short game. BC is a run first team and they managed to gain 200 yards on the ground, and a lot of those passing yards came from short drop offs to the running back.

The problem is you can't maintain that game when FSU has a habit of going up big early in the game.

BC managed it because they

1) played FSU fairly early on in the year, when the D was still setting in to the new scheme

2) have Andre fucking Williams as their running back. The dude has 2,000+ yards on the year and probably deserves a trip to New York in two weeks.

FSU has allowed a season average 3.13 rushing yards per carry and a grand total of FOUR rushing touchdowns all year, the last of which was in October. But by all means, try to run at FSU now and see where it gets you.

Even if this is FSU's biggest weakness, it plays in to their biggest strength. FSU scores and they do it quickly. Teams that rely on running the ball are going to eat up a ton of clock, and it's going to limit the number of possessions they get. FSU doesn't care about how many possessions they get since they are going to score on almost all of them anyway, quickly, and from almost anywhere on the field.

FSU's actual biggest weakness is punting. Our punter is awful, but thankfully he never sees the field.

Talon

I could not think of a better week to be a Spartan in Ann Arbor. So much salt everywhere. To top it off, on my drive home, I saw a car with Spartan and Buckeye logos on the back.

Dude, I didn't know you were in A2.

ag-my001

GAF Pick'em Week 15 Games

(THU) Louisville @ Cincinnati by 7
(FRI) Bowling Green vs. Northern Illinois by 7
Oklahoma @ Oklahoma State by 14
UCF @ SMU by 7
Marshall @ Rice by 6
Texas @ Baylor by 10
Missouri vs. Auburn by 7
South Florida @ Rutgers by 4
Stanford @ Arizona State by 9
Duke vs. Florida State by 17
Ohio State vs. Michigan State by 4
Utah State @ Fresno State by 7

Branduil

If Mora goes to UW, this week is seriously fucking ruined.

If Mora goes to UW, then Guerrero's incompetence will truly be on display for all to see. There will be no one to pass the buck to, and no one will buy your excuses if your coach leaves LA for Washington. People can somehow justify continually firing the coaches you hired just a few years ago, but everyone will know whose fault this is.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
The SEC needs to get real and play a round robin schedule.

You're just jealous because if the Big XII went to divisions you may be able to dodge the weakest teams and thus go undefeated.

Hmm does that mean Manziel would be better off leaving this year since they are the same type of QB?

Could be wrong, of course, but I don't think draft position matters as much to him as losing his amateur status does.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Who does UW take a run at now? Petersen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom