• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 15| Where rankings are made up & SEC losses don't matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balphon

Feasible, so long as Michigan state doesn't fall too far. They're at #10 currently, so who knows with the current opinion of the B1G.

Michigan State falling out of the top 14 would probably make it more likely that Oregon would make the BCS. I doubt they'll fall that far unless they lose like 70-3 or something though.

But is the Orange obligated to take Clempson? Because they will be in the top 14 for sure.

Not entirely sure. For what it's worth, ESPN's BCS guru Brad Edwards thinks they'll take Clemson (he had Clemson vs. Alabama in this week's projections). In the years with the 4-team playoff, the contract language seems to dictate that if an ACC team in the playoff, the Orange will take the next available ACC team. I have no idea if the Orange is bound to anything similar in this last year of the BCS, or perhaps if there is simply a handshake deal to keep the ACC happy, or maybe there's nothing at all.

If FSU is the #1 team in the BCS, Orange will have first choice of replacement. And by quirk of rotation, they also have first choice of at large teams this year. So in theory, at least, they can put on the best match-up possible, be that competitively or just as a matter of selling tickets.

andycapps

So if Northern Illinois loses and OSU/Stanford win...

MNC: FSU vs. OSU
Rose: MSU vs. Stanford
Fiesta: OK State vs. UCF
Sugar: Auburn vs. Baylor
Orange: Alabama vs. Oregon (WE GOT BAMA)

Is this feasible?!

I'm thinking Clemson would get into a BCS game ahead of MSU in your scenario.

Paches

The plot thickens:

InsideUSC ‏@InsideUSC 1h
#USC does not want to pay full $1 million buyout for #Washington DC Justin Wilcox but willing to pay $400,000 buyout for Tosh Lopoi

InsideUSC ‏@InsideUSC 1h
A source tells me #Washington defensive coordinator Justin Wilcox will interview for Huskies job today. #USC wants him assistant

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Orange bowl would be FSU ACC Replacement (unless outside of the top 14) vs. At Large.

Will be Clemson vs. "someone else." Unless some sort of combination of Oklahoma winning, and the NIU/UCF spots move up, moving Clemson down while they don't play a game.

If Clemson is in the top 14 after this weekend, they'll be in the Orange. If not, I'll eat my hat.

Note to self: find a hat made of pizza.

DIY-edible-nacho-hat-5_zpsd45f0d1b.jpg~original

Why not nachos?

desh

The Orange Bowl is not obligated to take an ACC team if available, but they almost assuredly will. They don't want to do anything to hurt their relationship with the ACC. This means, if Clemson is in the top 14, and FSU goes to the BCSCG, then the Orange Bowl will take Clemson.

I will eat a whole pizza if I am wrong.

Well the investigation is over but no timetable for a decision on charges. They're gonna wait until after the game Saturday aren't they

cdyhybrid

Greg Biggins ‏@GregBiggins 5m
#Tennessee is latest offer for Anaheim (Calif) Servite 2015 WR Equanimeous St. Brown, kid is blowing up

Dat name.

Lonestar

If we beat Michigan State, it will be interesting to see how far they drop in the rankings.

Probably like a dozen spots.

To miss out on the Rose Bowl, it only needs to be 5 spots, which is realistic for most teams when they lose.

Greg Biggins ‏@GregBiggins 5m
#Tennessee is latest offer for Anaheim (Calif) Servite 2015 WR Equanimeous St. Brown, kid is blowing up

Dat name.

It is a sign of the times that I had to skim that three times before figuring out if the kid's first name was Anaheim, Servite, or Equanimeous.

impirius

HATIN' ASS SPURRIER might be my new favorite feature.
It's weird to say it, but Duke's resume is so good they won't have to get a bowl game invite from their uncle over a more qualified applicant.

Nice to see Auburn doin' well in a computer that isn't used to order stuffed crust pizza for once.

I'd support AJ McCarron for Heisman, but if you give a man a hunk of copper that big in Alabama he'll just turn around and sell it for cash.

Well, at least Mack Brown's not going to be the first person to see his career go up in flames in Waco.

Lonestar

@AlexYoder: #BREAKING: Investigation is complete. State Attorney's Office will be announcing their decision at 2pm tomorrow.

Craziest thing I've heard of. A PC to declare whether or not a person is going to be under arrest.

My guess is: Rapist goes free.

KingGondo

Banned
@AlexYoder: #BREAKING: Investigation is complete. State Attorney's Office will be announcing their decision at 2pm tomorrow.

Craziest thing I've heard of. A PC to declare whether or not a person is going to be under arrest.

My guess is: Rapist goes free.
It stands to reason that if they were going to arrest him, they'd do it before announcing a press conference.

impirius

I just hope the podium has two hats. If you're gonna do it, do it right

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
It stands to reason that if they were going to arrest him, they'd do it before announcing a press conference.

But Jimbo talking about how FSU is more than just Jameis seems pessimistic to me. Obviously they probably wouldn't know for sure, but I would guess Jansen had a pretty good idea of whether or not Jameis will be charged.

Karakand

It is a sign of the times that I had to skim that three times before figuring out if the kid's first name was Anaheim, Servite, or Equanimeous.

I'm sure you didn't intend this, but this grouping is funny because Anaheim is as equally made up a name as Equanimeous.

Also you clearly don't follow SoCal high school football. :p
Servite sucks.

The fact that they're having a preset if they're going to charge jaemis leads me to believe they won't charge him. If you were going to you would just go do it.

Lonestar

The fact that they're having a preset if they're going to charge jaemis leads me to believe they won't charge him. If you were going to you would just go do it.

I've seen people bring up Zimmerman and the OJ Murder case, as instances where they had Press Conferences for announcing charges.

@DanWetzel
Def atty Chuck Hobbs: “Sends a strong signal that Jameis Winston will not be charged." Presser will "explain ... the thorough investigation"

My further guess, the PC will be more about explaining "the reasons why they can't proceed" and completely throw the TPD under the bus.

Only justice will be for the NCAA to declare that having a Police Department protect the football program be a violation of Amateur Sports, and burn FSU to the ground.

Phenomic

Right, the whole thing seems off to me... why would you have a press conference to go throw someone in handcuffs? They don't do this for any normal person do they? Or is it just something that's not widely talked about.

Also, wouldn't that just give someone the chance to... I don't know run from the cops? Not saying he would in this case, but just a thought.

Anyway, isn't he suppose to be on a bus heading out of town on Thursday? Are they just going to sit around and wait for the verdict now? Are they alerted ahead of time? Will the cops show up and now sideswipe the bus in South Carolina and take him back 8 hours into a trip in cuffs?

I know I'm being silly at this point, but I'm tired of this whole thing dragging on. Stop making it a huge media event. If he's guilty go throw him in cuffs... if he's not guilty immediately stop talking about it and don't bring him any connection to the event anymore because it's over and let him continue his life.

Enfinit

Yeah. But it's also part of the Gainesville hipster scene. Or at least it was many years ago. I once went there in dress blues after an event and got snobbier stares than a someone listening to a Beck radio song.
The Top is pretty great if you're into unique hipster flare (which my girl is). She lives downtown, so that's a frequent date restaurant. The Jones, on the other hand, is absolutely shit hipster food. The make their own mayonnaise and it's just whipped lard.

As far as Gville chow, I'm always a big fan of Relish and Satchel's. Peachtree Valley is wonderful for breakfast and brunch, and there's that homemade ice cream shop on University and 13th (I think). 4 Rivers BBQ is great, and Hogan's has delicious subs. Gainesville is actually a pretty great place for good food.

Meier

Right, the whole thing seems off to me... why would you have a press conference to go throw someone in handcuffs? They don't do this for any normal person do they? Or is it just something that's not widely talked about.

Also, wouldn't that just give someone the chance to... I don't know run from the cops? Not saying he would in this case, but just a thought.

Anyway, isn't he suppose to be on a bus heading out of town on Thursday? Are they just going to sit around and wait for the verdict now? Are they alerted ahead of time? Will the cops show up and now sideswipe the bus in South Carolina and take him back 8 hours into a trip in cuffs?

I know I'm being silly at this point, but I'm tired of this whole thing dragging on. Stop making it a huge media event. If he's guilty go throw him in cuffs... if he's not guilty immediately stop talking about it and don't bring him any connection to the event anymore because it's over and let him continue his life.
The team flight is tomorrow at 7:45 according to his attorney. They are going to have their own press conference after Meggs' (maybe around 6:15 or so he suggested) and Jameis will briefly address the media and discuss the situation in very general terms.

I imagine he'll mention he is sorry to his girlfriend for cheating on her and confirm that he had a relationship of sorts with the accuser for some time and that when he tried to break it off with her the evening prior to his girlfriend arriving into town, things went south and that he is sorry the accuser felt betrayed, etc. This is just my conjecture but I expect it'll be along those lines.

squicken

Agree with most of you. Figure Meggs wants everyone to know how badly the cops bungled the case. I'm curious how much of the record becomes public once the case becomes closed

The team flight is tomorrow at 7:45 according to his attorney. They are going to have their own press conference after Meggs' (maybe around 6:15 or so he suggested) and Jameis will briefly address the media and discuss the situation in very general terms.

I imagine he'll mention he is sorry to his girlfriend for cheating on her and confirm that he had a relationship of sorts with the accuser for some time and that when he tried to break it off with her the evening prior to his girlfriend arriving into town, things went south and that he is sorry the accuser felt betrayed, etc. This is just my conjecture but I expect it'll be along those lines.
If Winston's team is actually having a press conference of their own, I'd have to imagine no charges. I dunno if it's fairly common or not, would just seem utterly bizarre to me for someone arrested to have a PC after the state.

Calamari41

41 > 38
The plot thickens:

InsideUSC ‏@InsideUSC 1h
#USC does not want to pay full $1 million buyout for #Washington DC Justin Wilcox but willing to pay $400,000 buyout for Tosh Lopoi

InsideUSC ‏@InsideUSC 1h
A source tells me #Washington defensive coordinator Justin Wilcox will interview for Huskies job today. #USC wants him assistant

Honestly, given what Pendergast was able to do this year with like 13 defensive players on scholarship, I would rather keep him than go with Wilcox. I would of course love to have Tosh as a replacement and upgrade from Orgeron. It seems like half of the recruits we've missed out on over the last two years have been poached by Tosh specifically.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
The two things I miss about Tallahassee food is the amazing parking lot barbecue that surrounded campus and the Cuban restaurants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom