• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 15| Where rankings are made up & SEC losses don't matter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty sure I'd be in first if I hadn't been at the game.

Sure, it would have been 100 posts in the vein of "fuck my life!", "are you fucking kidding me?", "how do you drop that!", "fuck these refs!", but still. Sorry to deprive you guys of that.

Not a good weekend for OSUs. That's for damn sure.

Because the SEC East was godawful this year. Mizzou's schedule was hardly grueling, especially by SECSECSEC standards, yet they still got the SECSECSEC benefit of the doubt even though they avoided pretty much all of the legit SEC teams in the regular season.

MSU gets so such benefit or poll boost, even with having an absolutely dominant defense that has looked awesome the entire season.

It was still better than either Big 1G division. By far.

I'm sure the defense is great but did they play any elite offenses outside of OSU?

KingGondo

Banned
Not a good weekend for OSUs. That's for damn sure.
FdlqA5B.jpg

On the bright side, Sad Pizza is now a thing and we might get our revenge on Les in the Cotton Bowl.

Schmitty

Well my "OSU" joke w/ conference championships almost worked. OSU was about to win B10 and OSU was about to win B12. Too bad OSU didn't stand a chance in the P12.

It was still better than either Big 1G division. By far.

I'm sure the defense is great but did they play any elite offenses outside of OSU?

Can we really say this with certainty before bowl season?

I think if you matched the SEC East with the teams in next year's B1G East (even with Maryland and Rutgers, yes), it would be pretty goddamned close.

Talon

I think if you matched the SEC East with the teams in next year's B1G East (even with Maryland and Rutgers, yes), it would be pretty goddamned close.
After the 2011 B1G massacre, I have no faith in the conference come bowl season.

Did MSU play in next year's B1G or this year's?

Also this year, UT is rebuilding (#2 recruiting class), UGA's whole team tore up their knees, and FLOLorida was historically bad and that won't happen again.

And it's still a more impressive division than the one that MSU plays in thanks to Mizzou and USCe.

Talon

This is why I love college football and will actually miss the BCS. Stanford and MSU are paying the price for regular season losses to wildly inferior teams.

Next season, they'll still get a shot in a playoff. No other major sport in this country places as much value in the regular season.

Florida State will roll.

Did MSU play in next year's B1G or this year's?
Perhaps you're right this year, since the B1G's best teams are split between divisions. But I absolutely think that next year's B1G East could be one of the best divisions in college football.

Also this year, UT is rebuilding (#2 recruiting class),
Michigan's recruiting classes have been great, too.

UGA's whole team tore up their knees,
And they're the only team dealing with numerous injuries?

and FLOLorida was historically bad and that won't happen again.

How on earth can you guarantee that?

I don't understand why you feel the need to so vigorously defend the SEC East. You're not in it. And I think most people here from SEC East schools would agree that it's a bad division right now.

I will definitely be rooting for FSU, but based on Auburn's past month, I already know how it will end. FSU up 1 with the ball, last play of the game. Winston takes a safety trying to kneel down.

Watching last nights SEC championship made me feel even stronger that a healthy UGA could have won the conference championship. What a waste of a season. At least they'll still have Gurley next year.

Florida State will roll.

You sure about that? Looking at the rushing numbers that teams like UNC put up on you guys makes me think it's going to be either an extremely close shootout or an Auburn blowout. The only thing I'm not certain of is Auburn's defense.

Jamesways

Any plane ticket tips from anyone who has gone to a BCS bowl?

We did package deals through the school for 2 Wis Rose Bowls. Ended up with really good seats/tickets for the game both times. One game was 50 yard line, about 3rd row. Chatted with some players and celebrities before the game we were so close. Had a fantastic time.

Definitely go through the Athletic Dept, they can offer some great package deals including airfare, hotel accomodations, and sometimes other fun dinner/party functions thrown in.

Edit- and it wasn't that much for us, about a grand for 3 days.

Edit part 2- Went to Tijuana with 2 buddies for a day, fun to run into other drunk college bowl fans there who had the same idea, but I definitely would NOT recommend it. :p

jjasper

You sure about that? Looking at the rushing numbers that teams like UNC put up on you guys makes me think it's going to be either an extremely close shootout or an Auburn blowout. The only thing I'm not certain of is Auburn's defense.
The layoff is a huge disadvantage for Auburn. Auburn's offense evolved over the season to the point that basically they ran a different offense the last 5 games of the year and teams didn't have enough film/time to prepare for it. With the layoff FSU will be able to watch their last five games enough to plan a strategy. Don't know what will happen but I would be surprised if Auburn's offense gets shut down similar to how Oregon's and GTs often seem to get shut down at bowl time.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Any plane ticket tips from anyone who has gone to a BCS bowl?

I recommend already living in California making driving there easy.

Not sure I want to spend a thousand bucks on tickets though. But it is our first NC that I am actually old enough to consider going to. Hmmm.

Lol, just looked. They start at $1168 per ticket. F that business.

pxleyes

Banned
All you folks saying FSU will roll, do I really need to bring up 2006? Really? REALLY?!?!

And to anyone who thinks Florida will have another year like this in the next 30, that's some serious wishful thinking.

ag-my001

Didn't see the games last night, so it's been fun catching up. Now it's time to wait for all the bowl selections to see where A&M ends up.

Talon

Jesus Christ. I've literally been confused as a fan of every school here.
Seems silly that we would drop 7 spots when we were so close to winning.
But it was Blake Bell.

bachikarn

The layoff is a huge disadvantage for Auburn. Auburn's offense evolved over the season to the point that basically they ran a different offense the last 5 games of the year and teams didn't have enough film/time to prepare for it. With the layoff FSU will be able to watch their last five games enough to plan a strategy. Don't know what will happen but I would be surprised if Auburn's offense gets shut down similar to how Oregon's and GTs often seem to get shut down at bowl time.

Agreed. Also, 2008 OU's up tempo offense which was statistically the best of all time (at the time any way). A lot of up tempo systems simplify things so their players can run the system very well. Give a defense a month to prepare, then they can defend it just as well.

FSU has a legit talent on defense and AUs pass defense is awful. I'd like FSU to lose, but I don't see it.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
1DmMqPk66L

LOL, there has got to be more to it that just this game. Yeah, throwing it in the 4th qtr with 8 minutes left is unnecessary, but thats a lot of salt Coach Cut is throwing there. I've read that Cutcliffe and Fisher did not get along during their time at Ol Miss and LSU respectively.

Whatever. Go win the ACC a championship FSU.

KingGondo

Banned
People flipping their shit that Gundy ranked OSU 10th and OU 12th.

I don't even think most OU fans would argue that they have a better team. Better teams don't require two special teams TDs, a goal-line stand and some terrible officiating to win.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
People flipping their shit that Gundy ranked OSU 10th and OU 12th.

I don't even think most OU fans would argue that they have a better team. Better teams don't require two special teams TDs, a goal-line stand and some terrible officiating to win.

Most don't think Auburn is better than Alabama but you can't rank Alabama ahead of Auburn, because that would be stupid.

Branduil

1. The preseason polls screwed Auburn in 2004 worse than any other screwing in the BCS era. I hate them, too.

2. It's not the SEC's fault that other conferences routinely screw up their chance to play in the title game, letting the SEC slide back in like LSU 2007.

3. The SEC doesn't have a sterling bowl record because we send more teams to bowl games than any other conference and routinely have lower-ranked SEC teams against higher-ranked competition (SEC #5 vs ACC #2 in the Peach Bowl, for instance). This us exasperated by the SEC always having two BCS teams, which knocks that ranking down one more. That we still do well in bowl games despite that speaks to the depth of the conference.

4. ESPN owns all of college football, not just the SEC. In fact, the SEC is one of the few conferences with a major contract with another network. The ACC doesn't have that.

5. The SEC has had more competitive teams in the BCS era than any other conference. 5 SEC teams have national championships (3 of them have 2 or more with Auburn having a shot at being the fourth this year). No other conference has more than one winner or even two representatives (Miami and VT were Big East, before you argue).

BONUS - The SEC talent level is undeniable when you look at who is playing on Sunday. That doesn't always translate to on field success, but the talent is there.

SEC SEC SEC

Branduil

Both have one loss.

But Alabama lost to Auburn, which is a solid one-loss team. Auburn lost to LSU, a mediocre three-loss team (or four or whatever, I don't pay attention). Alabama's loss is clearly better.

And surprise! Alabama passes the eyeball test, which Auburn does not.

Frankly, Alabama *should* be in the title game. Serious here, if voters actually used consistent criteria from year to year, it'd be Bama instead of Auburn.

If only threeballz was part of the BCS formula.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom