• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 3| Kiffen/Brown Farewell Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

desh

Welcome back StoOge!

(THU) TCU @ Texas Tech by 4
Louisville @ Kentucky by 14
UCLA @ Nebraska by 10
Fresno State @ Colorado by 10
Boston College @ USC by 7
Alabama @ Texas A&M by 10
Georgia Tech @ Duke by 14
Ohio State @ California by 20
Mississippi State @ Auburn by 10
Ole Miss @ Texas by 4
Oregon State @ Utah by 4
Wisconsin @ Arizona State by 5

Schmitty

Looks like Ash is going to be out against Ole Miss on Saturday. This game won't be within 3 scores.

well in that case...I will change my game prediction. Maybe shame won't be enough to win

Ole Miss @ Texas by 13

this will bite me in the ass

Pick 'Em (the opposite of what I do if you want to win)!

(THU) TCU @ Texas Tech by 10
Louisville @ Kentucky by 14
UCLA @ Nebraska by 4
Alabama @ Texas A&M by 14
Ohio State @ California by 17
Mississippi State @ Auburn by 4
Ole Miss @ Texas by 4
Oregon State @ Utah by 10
Wisconsin @ Arizona State by 7

Looks like Ash is going to be out against Ole Miss on Saturday. This game won't be within 3 scores.

If Case starts to shit the bed (inevitable), do you think Mack is stubborn enough to burn Tyrone Swoopes redshirt and throw him in the game? In Mack's press conference Monday, he mentioned Tyrone would be an All-American at some point, so you know he's thought of highly by Mack. I would hate to see his shirt burned this season, but Mack will make any last ditch efforts necessary this year to save face and keep his job. If that means burning a shirt for a game so be it.

Talon

If Case starts to shit the bed (inevitable), do you think Mack is stubborn enough to burn Tyrone Swoopes redshirt and throw him in the game? In Mack's press conference Monday, he mentioned Tyrone would be an All-American at some point, so you know he's thought of highly by Mack. I would hate to see his shirt burned this season, but Mack will make any last ditch efforts necessary this year to save face and keep his job. If that means burning a shirt for a game so be it.
Mack just needs to find two pasty guys that are roommates whose fathers were roommates.

WAIT A MINUTE. /looksatCase

Meier

I've been pretty consistent in saying how terrible I think Ash is. Case is obviously worse -- some of it was rust, surely, but he was unbelievably awful against BYU. If this Swoopes guy is the future, Mack may have no choice. It's either burn a dude's shirt or maybe get fired.. I'd probably put myself first. :lol

Jeff-DSA

Louisville @ Kentucky by 8
UCLA @ Nebraska by 4
Alabama @ Texas A&M by 3
Georgia Tech @ Duke by 10
Ohio State @ California by 21
Mississippi State @ Auburn by 6
Ole Miss @ Texas by 7
Oregon State @ Utah by 3
Wisconsin @ Arizona State by 4

cashman

Banned
I've been pretty consistent in saying how terrible I think Ash is. Case is obviously worse -- some of it was rust, surely, but he was unbelievably awful against BYU. If this Swoopes guy is the future, Mack may have no choice. It's either burn a dude's shirt or maybe get fired.. I'd probably put myself first. :lol

Ash isn't a terrible qb. He's solid to good.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.

Ash is a perfectly good QB. I mean, we aren't going to win a MNC with him at the helm, but he can make plays and doesn't fuck up too much. Not like Case McCoy's creepy ass filming his teamates in the corner.

I'd like to see what Ash could do with an Oline that could do anything.

Swoopes can't throw the football at all. In fact, his claim to fame was running all over our defense in practice. After BYUs slow ass QB did the same that seems to be less impressive.

Mack should not burn Swoopes shirt. RC Slocum destroyed Reggie McNeal's development doing the same thing to him and that didn't save his job either.

Mack and his butter teeth need to fall on the sword.

GAF Pick'em Week 3 Games
(all games Saturday unless otherwise marked)

Louisville @ Kentucky by 9
UCLA @ Nebraska by 4
Fresno State @ Colorado by 7
Boston College @ USC by 4
Alabama @ Texas A&M by 9
Ohio State @ California by 17
Mississippi State @ Auburn by 7
Ole Miss @ Texas by 4
Oregon State @ Utah by 7

Karakand

Guerrero is too dumb to ever think of cheating and too incompetent to implement it even if someone told him about it.

He seemed pretty shady at the end of the Howland era, but that may have just been because he literally does not pay attention to the day to day workings of the program.

Louisville @ Kentucky by 28
UCLA @ Nebraska by 14
Fresno State @ Colorado by 11
Boston College @ USC by 10
Alabama @ Texas A&M by 4
Georgia Tech @ Duke by 4
Ole Miss @ Texas by 7
Oregon State @ Utah by 4
Wisconsin @ Arizona State by 10

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes

But didn't Swoopes play at a 1A school? That would be a lot to ask.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Picks time

UCLA @ Nebraska by 7
Boston College @ USC by 3
Georgia Tech @ Duke by 3
Mississippi State @ Auburn by 3
Ole Miss @ Texas by 7
Oregon State @ Utah by 7

I wish we had players that were good enough to receive illegal benefits

in football

EDIT: Bama is one of the few big name schools that the NCAA has a history of sanctioning so who knows what happens there. Granted most of that was during their down years, and now they are a power again.

EDIT 2 FOR THURSDAY PICK EM I FORGETTED!

TCU @ Texas Tech by 7

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
EDIT: Bama is one of the few big name schools that the NCAA has a history of sanctioning so who knows what happens there. Granted most of that was during their down years, and now they are a power again.
Eh, not worried about sanctions beyond the possibility of having to forfeit the MNC game for playing a player who should have been ineligible, which, fuck it, we'll still claim. There's no way the NCAA can even consider LOI or failure to monitor when UA's agent education programs under Saban are so well known. If a link ever appears indicating that anybody at UA knew what was going on, even if it's only a meter-maid parking nazi, THEN I'll be worried.

Enfinit

I'm so conflicted on who to root for for the Bama/A&M game.

On the one hand, it'd be nice to see someone upset Bama....again.

On the other hand, I fucking hate Johnny Football and hope he gets destroyed.

I guess I'm going with Bama. If they beat A&M, A&M will likely drop past #10, which means the Noles will move up a spot (granted we beat Nevada). If Bama loses we likely won't move up a spot because they won't drop past #6-7.

All praise our lord and savior "Famous" Jameis Winston.

mre

I'm so conflicted on who to root for for the Bama/A&M game.

On the one hand, it'd be nice to see someone upset Bama....again.

On the other hand, I fucking hate Johnny Football and hope he gets destroyed.

I guess I'm going with Bama. If they beat A&M, A&M will likely drop past #10, which means the Noles will move up a spot (granted we beat Nevada). If Bama loses we likely won't move up a spot because they won't drop past #6-7.

All praise our lord and savior "Famous" Jameis Winston.
Good man, Enfinit. Good man.

Picks time

UCLA @ Nebraska by 7
Boston College @ USC by 3
Georgia Tech @ Duke by 3
Mississippi State @ Auburn by 3
Ole Miss @ Texas by 7
Oregon State @ Utah by 7

I wish we had players that were good enough to receive illegal benefits

in football

You forgot the THU game =O.

My picks for the week --

(THU) TCU @ Texas Tech by 7
UCLA @ Nebraska by 14
Fresno State @ Colorado by 3
Alabama @ Texas A&M by 4
Georgia Tech @ Duke by 7
Ohio State @ California by 14
Ole Miss @ Texas by 7
Oregon State @ Utah by 4
Wisconsin @ Arizona State by 10

Garryk

(THU) TCU @ Texas Tech by 10
Louisville @ Kentucky by 35
UCLA @ Nebraska by 9
Fresno State @ Colorado by 28
Alabama @ Texas A&M by 14
Georgia Tech @ Duke by 17
Ohio State @ California by 13
Mississippi State @ Auburn by 11
Ole Miss @ Texas by 9
Oregon State @ Utah by 11
Wisconsin @ Arizona State by 21

KingGondo

Banned
Part 3 of the SI article about OSU has been posted if anyone's interested.

It's almost all about marijuana use among football players.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I think it was 2A, but even more concerning is he led his team to a 1-9 record his senior year. He had a bad team, but if you're an amazing QB playing in 2A, then you should overcome that almost by yourself.

Tech has the last two 1A champion QBs on the roster (Reginald Davis as a WR, Dee Paul as a CB) and I agree with the amazing QB in a lower division thing. In the state games and in other highlights it was pretty clear that their games often turned into one man shows. Both also played defense as well, I believe, and I don't know if Swoopes did or not.

I do know that Tech fans were upset at first that we lost Tech Legend Sheryl Swoopes' nephew to UT but as last season went on and we saw more of him it went from upset to kind of relieved. May do well at Ut if they bring back the Vince Young system, don't get me wrong, but he wouldn't have fit with our offense at all (under Tuberville or Kingsbury)

StoOgE

I think it was 2A, but even more concerning is he led his team to a 1-9 record his senior year. He had a bad team, but if you're an amazing QB playing in 2A, then you should overcome that almost by yourself.

He also threw more picks than TDs his Senior Season.

Another great bit of "talent" evaluation from Harsin. Given that all reports are the guy can't throw the ball but can run all over a defense that can stop no one, I assume that we've got Chiles 2.0 but smaller, slower and possibly a worse arm.

Thank god we got him, Gilbert and Case and not RGIII, Manziel or Connor Brewer on campus the last 4 years! Thanks Mack!

mre

It blows my mind that Texas doesn't have a quality starting QB with all the high school talent in the state.

diehard

Fleer
Maybe when...

...frogs can fly.

510546-b6624170-1b3f-11e3-9173-d25ba40433e7.jpg

StoOgE

It blows my mind that Texas doesn't have a quality starting QB with all the high school talent in the state.

Why do you need one? We have a ton of great RBs, no defense, no QB, no O-line and some fast guys who can't catch. All paired with a bunch of out of touch coordinators who want to draw up overly complicated schemes to prove how smart they are instead of making sure their players can tackle, and a head coach and an AD who are more interested in Scrooge McDuck swan dives into pools of money instead of winning games.

Big 12 title here we come!

KingGondo

Banned
Why do you need one? We have a ton of great RBs, no defense, no QB, no O-line and some fast guys who can't catch. All paired with a bunch of out of touch coordinators who want to draw up overly complicated schemes to prove how smart they are instead of making sure their players can tackle, and a head coach and an AD who are more interested in Scrooge McDuck swan dives into pools of money instead of winning games.

Big 12 title here we come!
Pretty sure Texas would take any of these guys as a QB right now:

Baker Mayfield
Clint Chelf
J.W. Walsh
Blake Bell
Casey Pachall
Trevone Boykin
Bryce Petty

Mayfield, Walsh, Boykin, and Pachall (at least) are from Texas.

cashman

Banned
He also threw more picks than TDs his Senior Season.

Another great bit of "talent" evaluation from Harsin. Given that all reports are the guy can't throw the ball but can run all over a defense that can stop no one, I assume that we've got Chiles 2.0 but smaller, slower and possibly a worse arm.

Thank god we got him, Gilbert and Case and not RGIII, Manziel or Connor Brewer on campus the last 4 years! Thanks Mack!

Watch out for JT Barrett at Ohio St. and Cody Thomas at OU. Those are the guys that swoopes beat out.

andycapps

I posted that....

...in the football topic that no one reads.

BTW: Are we still playing that game, or is Alabama non-existent anymore?

What did you say? I can't hear you.

Spurrier has taken some steps that I'm sure Saban would love to emulate. He's gotten a beat writer from The State that was critical of him to not write about South Carolina at all anymore. I'm sure that imperius or someone that follows USCe can give more perspective, but I think this is an interesting story with some scary ramifications for sports journalists.

Much more than this in the article but here's some.

In 2011, University of South Carolina football coach Steve Spurrier refused to talk to reporters while Ron Morris of The State — McClatchy’s paper in Columbia, SC — was in the room. The coach complained that the sports columnist was a “negative guy.”

Spurrier did the same thing a year later. “I don’t need any questions today,” he told reporters last Sept. 22, then left. The coach, according to one sports site, quickly exited because he feared Morris was planting questions with other reporters after being told by his own paper that he should keep quiet.

The 68-year-old football coach won’t have a repeat performance this year, though, because The State has told Morris he can no longer write about University of South Carolina Gamecocks football. (He’s been writing a lot about Clemson lately.)

“The publisher of the paper has removed Ron from any coverage of the football program, which down there is akin to the Washington Post not letting Dan Balz write about government,” one of Morris’s former colleagues told me. “Effectively, he’s being forced out at the behest of the football coach, with the publisher not standing up for him.”

What did you say? I can't hear you.

Spurrier has taken some steps that I'm sure Saban would love to emulate. He's gotten a beat writer from The State that was critical of him to not write about South Carolina at all anymore. I'm sure that imperius or someone that follows USCe can give more perspective, but I think this is an interesting story with some scary ramifications for sports journalists.

Much more than this in the article but here's some.

The State is a terrible newspaper anyway.

But still really shitty that his publisher didn't stand up for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom