• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 3| Kiffen/Brown Farewell Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

He seemed pretty shady at the end of the Howland era, but that may have just been because he literally does not pay attention to the day to day workings of the program.

If there's cheating at UCLA it will either be because someone did something without Guerrero's knowledge(pretty easy), or it will be something dumb and self-serving that has nothing to do with winning, like Guerrero embezzling money or something.

andycapps

The State is a terrible newspaper anyway.

But still really shitty that his publisher didn't stand up for him.

Yeah I don't know anything about the paper, like you said, the real story here is the publisher caving in the face of pressure from Spurrier, and presumably, their media relations people. I would think that this will end up intimidating beat reporters that are still there into not wanting to ask anything that might irk Spurrier. The guy they hired to replace this guy is apparently a homer.

mcgruber

(THU) TCU @ Texas Tech by 11
Louisville @ Kentucky by 25
UCLA @ Nebraska by 10
Fresno State @ Colorado by 10
Boston College @ USC by 7
Alabama @ Texas A&M by 11
Georgia Tech @ Duke by 14
Ohio State @ California by 18
Mississippi State @ Auburn by 10
Ole Miss @ Texas by 10
Oregon State @ Utah by 4
Wisconsin @ Arizona State by 7[/QUOTE]

how can i check my picks from last week to make sure I got the right points? I edited them pretty late

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
What did you say? I can't hear you.

Spurrier has taken some steps that I'm sure Saban would love to emulate. He's gotten a beat writer from The State that was critical of him to not write about South Carolina at all anymore. I'm sure that imperius or someone that follows USCe can give more perspective, but I think this is an interesting story with some scary ramifications for sports journalists.

Much more than this in the article but here's some.

Difference here is Spurrier has made SCAR nationally relevant and has a bit more sway because of that. Saban certainly has a ton of power after three NCs, but the abstract ideal of ALABAMA FOOTBALL will always be more powerful than him. If fans in the state ever get irritated enough with his performane, the papers will tow the line of the readers vs Saban. I don't think we'll have to worry about that though.

I'm more interested to see if Saban vs Ghost of Bear Bryant lives up to the 4 star match that was Mike Ditka vs Hurricane Ditka

mcgruber

was the fulmer cup champion crowned this off-season? i remember there being updates in june, but not much after that. Did vanderbilt just run away with it?

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
was the fulmer cup champion crowned this off-season? i remember there being updates in june, but not much after that. Did vanderbilt just run away with it?
No, EDSBS pussied out and stopped updating it. No champion this year. Alabama is currently on top of the standings, but Vandy would have obliterated everyone if the rape charges were counted.

Jay Sosa

(THU) TCU @ Texas Tech by 2
Louisville @ Kentucky by 9
UCLA @ Nebraska by 6
Boston College @ USC by 2
Alabama @ Texas A&M by 6
Georgia Tech @ Duke by 1
Ohio State @ California by 7
Mississippi State @ Auburn by 1
Ole Miss @ Texas by 3
Oregon State @ Utah by 7
Wisconsin @ Arizona State by 5

all chalk baby :D

Westonian

GAF Pick'em Week 3 Games
(all games Saturday unless otherwise marked)

(THU) TCU @ Texas Tech by 4
Louisville @ Kentucky by 13
UCLA @ Nebraska by 10
Fresno State @ Colorado by 7
Boston College @ USC by 4
Alabama @ Texas A&M by 13
Georgia Tech @ Duke by 4
Ohio State @ California by 14
Mississippi State @ Auburn by 7
Ole Miss @ Texas by 4
Oregon State @ Utah by 10
Wisconsin @ Arizona State by 7

(THU) TCU @ Texas Tech by 11
Louisville @ Kentucky by 25
UCLA @ Nebraska by 10
Boston College @ USC by 7
Alabama @ Texas A&M by 11
Georgia Tech @ Duke by 14
Mississippi State @ Auburn by 10
Ole Miss @ Texas by 10
Oregon State @ Utah by 4

how can i check my picks from last week to make sure I got the right points? I edited them pretty late[/QUOTE]

like, after the games started, late? :p

Honestly, just give yourself 1 pt for each game you got the winner right, then 1 additional pt for each game you go the winner AND the MoV was within 3 from what you picked.

If you see a discrepancy just PM me with it.

TRUST IN TTK

Or this!

Talon

can journalists lose their career over not fact-checking and publishing slanderous things? is that their career anyway?
The way these things work, it's not owned by one person, especially with a massive feature like this.

You probably had at least 4 - likely much more considering this is SI - people doing interviews for this article. Then you have fact checkers dedicated to doing research to verify the details. All of the reporters on the story will have an Editor that's maintaining an overall eye on the story. Just to give you a sense of how long it takes a feature to go from start to finish - it's at the very least four months. Magazines "close the book" on an issue two-three issues ahead of time. Now, you leave placeholders for timely features, but the big features are already signed off on prior to then.

On top of all that, you'll have a counsel looking through the resources to determine if the paper is at any legal risk for it. Luckily (I say this for the sake of free speech), the Supreme Court has reaffirmed multiple times that any accuser must demonstrate malicious intent when it comes to libel/defamation. The opposite case would be what happens in the UK or South Korea, where the fear of a defamation suit effectively squelches the media.

andycapps

The way these things work, it's not owned by one person, especially with a massive feature like this.

You probably had at least 4 - likely much more considering this is SI - people doing interviews for this article. Then you have fact checkers dedicated to doing research to verify the details. All of the reporters on the story will have an Editor that's maintaining an overall eye on the story.

On top of all that, you'll have a counsel looking through the resources to determine if the paper is at any legal risk for it. Luckily (I say this for the sake of free speech), the Supreme Court has reaffirmed multiple times that any accuser must demonstrate malicious intent when it comes to libel/defamation. The opposite case would be what happens in the UK or South Korea, where the fear of a defamation suit effectively squelches the media.

If all that is the case, I don't see how such wildly different accounts can be coming out. Seems like some of the sources are now saying that they didn't say some of the things in question. Either they're getting cold feet now that their name is out there, or the reporters at SI twisted or even fabricated some stories. It'll be interesting to see what comes out of this and what the NCAA finds.

Talon

If all that is the case, I don't see how such wildly different accounts can be coming out. Seems like some of the sources are now saying that they didn't say some of the things in question. Either they're getting cold feet now that their name is out there, or the reporters at SI twisted or even fabricated some stories. It'll be interesting to see what comes out of this and what the NCAA finds.
In my experience - and my peers' experience - and we don't even work for a big brand like SI or ESPN, this happens super often. Which is funny because 99.99% of the time, their statements are on a recorder*.

*The worst job in journalism is transcribing interviews. It is literally the worst.

The rule is, you cannot quote someone unless you have the actual recording.

KingGondo

Banned
In my experience - and my peers' experience - and we don't even work for a big brand like SI or ESPN, this happens super often. Which is funny because 99.99% of the time, their statements are on a recorder*.

*The worst job in journalism is transcribing interviews. It is literally the worst.

The players are almost uniformly saying that their quotes were taken out of context. The one player who has so far stood by his comments (Fath' Carter) has now been proven to be untruthful by ESPN.

We'll never know unless the full tapes are released, and I don't expect that to happen anytime soon.

Not sure SI has much to gain by releasing them either. It might get lost in the sea of bullshit now surrounding this whole ordeal.

Jhriad

Louisville @ Kentucky by 17
UCLA @ Nebraska by 4
Nebraska D gives up 31+ points. If I weren't a Nebraska fan I'd be choosing UCLA by 4.
Fresno State @ Colorado by 11
Boston College @ USC by 11
Alabama @ Texas A&M by 4
Georgia Tech @ Duke by 17
Ohio State @ California by 7
Mississippi State @ Auburn by 11
Ole Miss @ Texas by 4
Oregon State @ Utah by 4

mre

Hey, guess what. According to ESPN, Mack Brown didn't even want Texas Tech's starting QB as a walk-on.

Garryk

There were talking about the ESPN investigation of the investigation on the radio at lunch today. Said that 9 of the 12 players that came forward were kicked off the team for failed drug test, criminal records, etc. You know, the kind of people on which you should absolutely bet your credibility.

Also said, SI will come out of this looking worse than Okie State. Bleacher Report is looking pretty good now!

Hey why didn't any of my Texas brethren make me aware of this Mack Brown impersonator? Apparently he's been doing guests appearances on various sports radio shows for years and this is the first time I've heard of him. If you're familiar with Mack Brown's voice talking style, this is definitely worth a listen. Here he is discussing the loss to BYU.

http://www.hornsports.com/audio/MB_PP_0911.mp3

Louisville @ Kentucky by 24
UCLA @ Nebraska by 4
Fresno State @ Colorado by 11
Boston College @ USC by 4
Alabama @ Texas A&M by 17
Georgia Tech @ Duke by 17
Mississippi State @ Auburn by 11
Ole Miss @ Texas by 4
Oregon State @ Utah by 8
Wisconsin @ Arizona State by 17

andycapps

I would hope that SI at some point will come out and say exactly what you're saying if it's really the case. Basically "We've read the responses from some of the quoted parties in response to our articles, and we stick by our reporting of our recorded conversations with them." I have the feeling that you may be right on at least some of these, they didn't know what these were about or realize what a big story this would be used for that would potentially hurt their alma mater.

(THU) TCU @ Texas Tech by 10
Louisville @ Kentucky by 5
UCLA @ Nebraska by 9
Fresno State @ Colorado by 8
Boston College @ USC by 3
Alabama @ Texas A&M by a couple of autographs
Georgia Tech @ Duke by 4
Ohio StateState @ California by 10
Mississippi State @ Auburn by 5
Ole Miss @ Texas by 14
Oregon State @ Utah by 6
Wisconsin @ Arizona State by 3

SI looks really bush league in this whole deal. One of the writers of the story was on Gottliebs radio show praising Fath Carter as a great source because he had 2 degrees from OSU. I have a feeling he won't be doing anymore radio interviews this week. This story is a smear job and SI owes Okie St an apology.

Talon

I would hope that SI at some point will come out and say exactly what you're saying if it's really the case. Basically "We've read the responses from some of the quoted parties in response to our articles, and we stick by our reporting of our recorded conversations with them." I have the feeling that you may be right on at least some of these, they didn't know what these were about or realize what a big story this would be used for that would potentially hurt their alma mater.
Yeah. For a story like this, you're dealing with these sources independently and only answering questions if the source is specifically asking them. I would guess that half these guys had no idea that they were going to be a part of a big feature about the lack of institutional control at Oklahoma State.

That is what they're responding to. Not that they didn't say what they said. It's that they didn't mean what they said in the context of this story.

KingGondo

Banned
There were talking about the ESPN investigation of the investigation on the radio at lunch today. Said that 9 of the 12 players that came forward were kicked off the team for failed drug test, criminal records, etc. You know, the kind of people on which you should absolutely bet your credibility.
Not only that, but none of the articles posted thus far have stated that any of these sources were kicked off the team, often for the very infractions they're accusing the program of overlooking.

Draxal

I couldn't stand SI anyway because I loathe Peter King. 1/3 of his tmq's were about his daughter's lacrosse team.

Anyway, it really doesn't look good for SI right now. Not fact checking with the Registrar is a page taken out of the Rutgers' playbook.

andycapps

Not only that, but none of the articles posted thus far have stated that any of these sources were kicked off the team, often for the very infractions they're accusing the program of overlooking.

Some of them mentioned that the players were cut from the team after they were no longer starters. The Weed Ring or whatever they called it seemed to specifically imply that players were protected if they were considered elite, but that guys that were not top players weren't protected to the same extent.

Cal game poster, this one is pretty low on my list

cal-game-poster.jpg

Karakand

If there's cheating at UCLA it will either be because someone did something without Guerrero's knowledge(pretty easy), or it will be something dumb and self-serving that has nothing to do with winning, like Guerrero embezzling money or something.

I was gutted when his name didn't surface during the recent spending scandal in UCLA's faculty and administration.

Not that the chancellor would have done anything about it (nothing has happened to a dean that runs marathons receiving a medical waiver for business class airfare), but because at least there would be more obvious misuse of public funds tied to him. (I consider his salary in and of itself a misuse of public funds, but concede others are not willing to look at it this way.)

Branduil

I was gutted when his name didn't surface during the recent spending scandal in UCLA's faculty and administration.

Not that the chancellor would have done anything about it (nothing has happened to a dean that runs marathons receiving a medical waiver for business class airfare), but because at least there would be more obvious misuse of public funds tied to him. (I consider his salary in and of itself a misuse of public funds, but concede others are not willing to look at it this way.)

Look, hiring coaches every three years because the last one you hired was somehow terrible is hard work.

GAF Pick'em Week 3 Games
(all games Saturday unless otherwise marked)

Louisville @ Kentucky by 10
UCLA @ Nebraska by 4
Fresno State @ Colorado by 3
Boston College @ USC by 4 BC power is back!
Alabama @ Texas A&M by 16
Georgia Tech @ Duke by 3
Ohio State @ California by 6
Mississippi State @ Auburn by 4
Ole Miss @ Texas by 4 The straw that breaks Mack's back?
Oregon State @ Utah by 4
Wisconsin @ Arizona State by 6

GAMEDAY, bitches!!!!

ibxBn1Hf7QGXFF.gif

(THU) TCU @ Texas Tech by 14
Louisville @ Kentucky by 21
UCLA @ Nebraska by 4
Boston College @ USC by 6
Alabama @ Texas A&M by 10
Georgia Tech @ Duke by 7
Ohio State @ California by 4
Mississippi State @ Auburn by 7
Ole Miss @ Texas by 17
Oregon State @ Utah by 7
Wisconsin @ Arizona State by 10

EDIT: Apparently, using a ton of indents to center my picks under the banner completely broke the formatting of mobile-GAF. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Hey why didn't any of my Texas brethren make me aware of this Mack Brown impersonator? Apparently he's been doing guests appearances on various sports radio shows for years and this is the first time I've heard of him. If you're familiar with Mack Brown's voice talking style, this is definitely worth a listen. Here he is discussing the loss to BYU.

http://www.hornsports.com/audio/MB_PP_0911.mp3

Didn't hit the link, but I'm assuming it's "Mack on a Mobile." That guy is pretty damn good.

I would have alerted you to his comedy stylings, but yeah...I assumed you knew already.

mre

Wait a minute, guys. I think we need ESPN to confirm that Gondo even has his degree from OSU before we can trust anything he says. Maybe he is a graphic artist and went to OU.

yep, its mack on a mobile. I've somehow been left out of the loop for 10+ years on this guy.

Yeah, I'd say the only funnier sports impersonation over the last 10 years or so in Texas would be Gordon Keith's fake Jerry Jones on the Ticket in Dallas.

If you can find some of the Mack on a Mobiles from after the Texas-OU games, they're pretty hilarious.

KingGondo

Banned
Time for you to copy one.

Just copy his gif and change it to Cowboy or whatever.
Our chant is actually "Orange Power."

Way better than that lame "Raider Power" shit.

Pristine_Condition said:
Y'all fools mean, kicking Gondo while he's down and all that.

It'll be OK, Gondo. Nothing smoking a few dozen blunts with the special teams won't fix...
I also need some money, which means I'm gonna hit up the worst players on our current roster. According to SI those guys got $500 all the time back when we sucked, they must be getting fat stacks now!

mre said:
Wait a minute, guys. I think we need ESPN to confirm that Gondo even has his degree from OSU before we can trust anything he says. Maybe he is a graphic artist and went to OU.
Embarrassingly, I went to OU in addition to OSU (and graduated from both, factcheck me bitches!)

I'd prefer not to discuss my time in that den of dirt burglars. I made it out alive, but just barely. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom