• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 4| #KARMA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff-DSA

When I first heard the story about how he was photographed in Vegas I figured somebody surreptitiously snuck a picture of him at a slot machine or something.

I understand the whole "be angry at Utah snitches" angle, I do (particularly the whole timing part of it all), but if you're a BYU player that is posing for a pictures at night clubs/strip clubs with a bottle of alcohol in front of massive letters spelling out your name, aren't you kind of asking for it?

He was totally stupid to be down in Vegas. He should be more focused on being ready to play, honor code or not. Still, the snitching is super lame.

Karakand

Probably discussed, but it most likely was buried under last night's game talk.

So one of the BYU linebackers is suspended for an Honor Code violation. Apparently he went down to Vegas last weekend. While down there, a University of Utah fan took pictures of him, and reported it to the U of U when he got back. The U of U then asked him for more proof so that they could notify the NCAA in case of possible violations. They then sent the emails along to BYU.

So essentially the U of U snitched. After the NCAA said that there was nothing to investigate, they told BYU. BYU suspended the player.

Snitches.

So you like to hold up the honor code as a distinguishing characteristic of BYU, but you don't want other people to take it seriously. Got it.

Boise State @ Fresno State by 7
North Carolina @ Georgia Tech by 7
Wake Forest @ Army by 4
Pittsburgh @ Duke by 7
Houston vs. Rice by 4
Michigan State @ Notre Dame by 7
West Virginia @ Maryland by 10
Arkansas @ Rutgers by 10
Arizona State @ Stanford by 10
Kansas State @ Texas by 10
Missouri @ Indiana by 14
Utah @ BYU by 10

Jeff-DSA

Isn't their rivalry called the Holy War?

Yeah, it's the Holy War. It's a nasty rivalry.

It used to be a lot more fun, but Urban Meyer came through town and really turned it into a hateful one. It's really not much fun anymore. I haven't been to a game at the U of U since a fan dumped a drink on my back. I've been cussed out too many times in their stands to care to even go anymore.

The rivalry has even had cheerleaders getting into fights. Seriously.

(FRI) Boise State by 10
Georgia Tech by 6
Army by 9
Pittsburgh by 7
Houston by 14
Notre Dame by 4
West Virginia by 8
Rutgers by 3
Stanford by 17
Kansas State by 10
Indiana by 4
BYU by 21

MrJames

GAF Pick'em Week 4 Games
(all games Saturday unless otherwise marked)

(FRI) Boise State @ Fresno State by 5
North Carolina @ Georgia Tech by 6
Wake Forest @ Army by 4
Pittsburgh @ Duke by 7
Houston vs. Rice by 7
Michigan State @ Notre Dame by 10
West Virginia @ Maryland by 5
Arkansas @ Rutgers by 6
Arizona State @ Stanford by 13
Kansas State @ Texas by 7
Missouri @ Indiana by 7
Utah @ BYU by 7

Schlep

(FRI) Boise State @ Fresno State by 5
North Carolina @ Georgia Tech by 3
Wake Forest @ Army by 5
Pittsburgh @ Duke by 5
Houston vs. Rice by 7
Michigan State @ Notre Dame by 11
West Virginia @ Maryland by 8
Arkansas @ Rutgers by 5
Arizona State @ Stanford by 5
Kansas State @ Texas by 5
Missouri @ Indiana by 5
Utah @ BYU by 5

This is the toughest week of picks so far. I'm going to do really well or get really burned.

andycapps

Yeah, it's the Holy War. It's a nasty rivalry.

It used to be a lot more fun, but Urban Meyer came through town and really turned it into a hateful one. It's really not much fun anymore. I haven't been to a game at the U of U since a fan dumped a drink on my back. I've been cussed out too many times in their stands to care to even go anymore.

The rivalry has even had cheerleaders getting into fights. Seriously.
That's never fun. To be fair, Clean Old Fashioned Hate hasn't been much of a rivalry for UGA fans for as long as Paul Johnson has been there. Tech fans still hate us, and we hate them but when we do well and they don't, it makes their hate even greater. Which makes it sweeter for me.

Talon

My late picks

Boise State @ Fresno State by 2
North Carolina @ Georgia Tech by 3
Wake Forest @ Army by 5
Pittsburgh @ Duke by 1
Houston vs. Rice by 8
Michigan State @ Notre Dame by 6
West Virginia @ Maryland by 3
Arkansas @ Rutgers by 2
Arizona State @ Stanford by 6
Kansas State @ Texas by 4
Missouri @ Indiana by 6
Utah @ BYU by 2

GAF Pick'em Week 4 Games

(FRI) Boise State @ Fresno State by 6
North Carolina @ Georgia Tech by 7
Wake Forest @ Army by 7
Pittsburgh @ Duke by 4
Houston vs. Rice by 7
Michigan State @ Notre Dame by 6
West Virginia @ Maryland by 4
Arkansas @ Rutgers by 4
Arizona State @ Stanford by 10
Kansas State @ Texas by 4
Missouri @ Indiana by 6
Utah @ BYU by 10

pxleyes

Banned

rest tonight...
North Carolina @ Georgia Tech by X
Wake Forest @ Army by X
Pittsburgh @ Duke by X
Houston vs. Rice by X
Michigan State @ Notre Dame by X
West Virginia @ Maryland by X
Arkansas @ Rutgers by X
Arizona State @ Stanford by X
Kansas State @ Texas by X
Missouri @ Indiana by X
Utah @ BYU by X

Subitai

GAF Pick'em Week 4 Games
(all games Saturday unless otherwise marked)

rest tomorrow...& now finished!
North Carolina @ Georgia Tech by 4
Wake Forest @ Army by 4
Pittsburgh @ Duke by 4
Houston vs. Rice by 13
Michigan State @ Notre Dame by 4
West Virginia @ Maryland by 4
Arkansas @ Rutgers by 4
Arizona State @ Stanford by 13
Kansas State @ Texas by 6
Missouri @ Indiana by 10
Utah @ BYU by 4

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
ncstate-fan-nipple-rubbing-1.gif

AntoneM

Mark May still salty about Graham leaving his beloved Pitt to go to ASU. Just was watching College Football Live and they brought up Kelly having something like 14 TD's and 1 INT in the last 7 games and May jumped in and said Kelly threw the ball all over the field against Wisconsin but didn't get a TD... then he brought up Arizona being 3-0 and the other hosts looked all befuddled.

He really didn't like giving the pitchfork after the Wisconsin loss and he really doesn't like ASU.

Probably too late to get the first pick in since the game has started (now tied at 7-7 in the 1st Q,) but...

(FRI) Boise State @ Fresno State by 7
North Carolina @ Georgia Tech by 10
Wake Forest @ Army by 4
Pittsburgh @ Duke by 4
Houston vs.Rice by 10
Michigan State @ Notre Dame by 7
West Virginia @ Maryland by 14
Arkansas @ Rutgers by 10
Arizona State @ Stanford by 7
Kansas State @ Texas by 10
Missouri @ Indiana by 6
Utah @ BYU by 9

From a Gil Brandt article on NFL.com, a section about college players who've impressed him -

Having a pass first, run second system is a new thing in Lubbock?

LOL.

Funny watching the mainstream (LAMEstream, amirite?) media trying to play catchup and act like they know...um stuff about Texas Tech now...and stuff.

Mark May on yesterday's College Football Live gave out a hilarious stat saying we were ranked something like 89th in the league in redzone offense, saying "good team, bad stat."

It really WAS a bad stat though, because the team he had the stat on was North Texas, not Texas Tech. And as you know, the only reason Texas Tech isn't tied for 1st and perfect in redzone offense is because we took a "victory formation" knee in a game we were winning handily.

Talon

You know I was just about to say that we are the friendliest group in Sports-GAF, but then I forgot about Pristine's random xerox diatribes.

What happened to TheNatural?

Fresno's QB, Derek Carr is a stud and will probably be playing in the NFL

I don't know.

Looking at the Rutgers game he attempted I believe 1 pass farther than 20 yards down the field, and about 60 passes were either behind the line of scrimmage or less than 5 yards down field.

At least tonight it looks like they are trying to go a bit more vertical.

Sarye

I don't know.

Looking at the Rutgers game he attempted I believe 1 pass farther than 20 yards down the field, and about 60 passes were either behind the line of scrimmage or less than 5 yards down field.

At least tonight it looks like they are trying to go a bit more vertical.
Oh believe me, I'm a Rutgers fan so I know what they did to us. I think part of it is that our defense took away the long ball and was essentially forcing the short passes. But we played a bit too soft in coverage which killed us.

Oh believe me, I'm a Rutgers fan so I know what they did to us. I think part of it is that our defense took away the long ball and was essentially forcing the short passes. But we played a bit too soft in coverage which killed us.

I'm still shocked he never got flagged for taunting.

I would've loved to see a bit more press coverage, but I don't think playing soft zone coverage was as much of a problem as was the open field tackling.

Also, I never saw a team run so many screens and never get called for a hold or a block in the back.

AntoneM

Is Boise trying to establish some sort of minimalist "we are established and have been around 100 years" style with these helmets?

Might want to get rid of the blue turf first.

Sarye

I'm still shocked he never got flagged for taunting.

I would've loved to see a bit more press coverage, but I don't think playing soft zone coverage was as much of a problem as was the open field tackling.

Also, I never saw a team run so many screens and never get called for a hold or a block in the back.
The officiating sucked and gave them the momentum but it's too much of a homer thing to say. That trick play they ran was holds galore but whatever. It's not like Rutgers would play for the BCS title anyway.

Is Boise trying to establish some sort of minimalist "we are established and have been around 100 years" style with these helmets?

Might want to get rid of the blue turf first.
Who cares what they're trying to establish. They're damn nice. Plus the massive bronco on the other side doesn't really scream minimalist.

You have to start somewhere.

Pimpwerx

Seems super weird to me to be able to pinpoint a year when you became a fan.

Sometime between junior and senior year in hs, so 1994. It's not hard to remember dates if you have a head for numbers. It's not like I'm giving you a specific month or day. Suspicious...I know. PEACE.

Sometime between junior and senior year in hs, so 1994. It's not hard to remember dates if you have a head for numbers. It's not like I'm giving you a specific month or day. Suspicious...I know. PEACE.

Not saying its weird to remember dates, just weird to pickup a team to be a fan of especially as late as high school.

I was fan of Ohio State my entire life, theres no where I could pinpoint the "day" I became one as ive always just been one.

Pimpwerx

Not saying its weird to remember dates, just weird to pickup a team to be a fan of especially as late as high school.

I was fan of Ohio State my entire life, theres no where I could pinpoint the "day" I became one as ive always just been one.

Born outside the US. Moved to Miami in the late 80s. My entire family are Canes fans, so I was too, because it was all I watched. Switched around '94, when I started watching college football extensively by myself, and discovered Spurrier's fun n' gun. Oddly enough, the only Miami team I liked before I graduated hs was the Panthers. I was a Bills, Pirates and Lakers/Knicks fan before that. Pretty much from the moment I set foot in college, I became a fan of all the Miami teams, except for the Canes. PEACE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom