• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 4| #KARMA

Status
Not open for further replies.
When are Pickems locked in? Can I change them up and until the match or is it up until the first match of the week starts?

I go by the post time, or the last edited time, for the picks. If a game has started I won't accept picks for that game. Your best bet is to get your picks in before Saturday altogether.

If you post your picks including Friday's game, then Friday night change your picks, I won't know that you picked the Friday game correctly or not so I won't count it.

The absolute easiest thing to do is to just make a new post with your updated picks in it. I use whatever picks came last, as long as they're before the games start.

lol Wisconsin getting trolled by having ASU ranked one spot above them.

I don't get how you can rank ASU any higher than Wisconsin.

Yes, the score shows that ASU won, but besides the refereeing error, Wisconsin should have won and they were leading for most of the match.

The ranking is not done on the win-loss ratio, and its not done on the head to head battles otherwise Alabama should not have finished higher than aTm last year.

I suppose it is subjective by the people who vote, but I cant see how ASU jumps into the rankings and above Wisconsin after winning a game on a technicality.

Who the hell gets to vote in this poll?

timetokill said:
I go by the post time, or the last edited time, for the picks. If a game has started I won't accept picks for that game. Your best bet is to get your picks in before Saturday altogether.

If you post your picks including Friday's game, then Friday night change your picks, I won't know that you picked the Friday game correctly or not so I won't count it.

The absolute easiest thing to do is to just make a new post with your updated picks in it. I use whatever picks came last, as long as they're before the games start.

cheers mate, I never change them but I thought I would make sure I get them in today when I remembered to avoid the chance of forgetting to do them on Thursday (Aussie time).

Yes, the score shows that ASU won, but besides the refereeing error, Wisconsin should have won and they were leading for most of the match.

The ranking is not done on the win-loss ratio, and its not done on the head to head battles otherwise Alabama should not have finished higher than aTm last year.

I suppose it is subjective by the people who vote, but I cant see how ASU jumps into the rankings and above Wisconsin after winning a game on a technicality.

Dude, if you're looking for logic in polls, don't. Half of the AP don't watch most of the games, especially west coast games. They might glance at a box score, but that's about it.

The coaches poll are supposed to be done by the coaches, but are probably done by interns.

Lose early, because no matter how bad those losses are, they don't count as much as close, well fought loss at the end of the season.

When a higher ranked team beats a lower ranked team, the lower ranked team logically shouldn't move, but they still do.

Talon

Teams will need a minimum of three seconds from the referee’s signal to “spike” the ball to allow for another play at the end of a half. Teams must still execute the spike, but they will have a reasonable opportunity for another play. If the clock shows one or two seconds, a team will only have enough time to run a play without first spiking the ball.

bachikarn

Honestly a bit miffed that we aren't picking the Florida game. Still a rivalry and Florida is clearly not worthy of the ranking right now. Driskel is a liability, and Muschamp is such a hardheaded guy that he won't bench him in favor of blaming the only good thing about our team; the defense.

Who would you bench Driskel for? There is no one good behind him.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
From the SI Between The Hashes article from this week -

Les Miles Honorary Coaching Decision Of The Week

This award doesn’t always have to recognize a bad call. Sometimes, it can reward decisions that are just plain brilliant. Cal coach Sonny Dykes called for a fake punt against Ohio State, and it worked, mostly because Bears punter Cole Leininger and true freshman quarterback Jared Goff both wear jersey No. 16.

Every team in college should employ this tactic, since it’s allowed. It would probably work at least half of the time.

That is incredible.

(FRI) Boise State @ Fresno State by 12
North Carolina @ Georgia Tech by 31
Wake Forest @ Army by 3
Pittsburgh @ Duke by 1
Houston vs. Rice by 7
Michigan State @ Notre Dame by 21
West Virginia @ Maryland by 28
Arkansas @ Rutgers by 6
Arizona State @ Stanford by 13
Kansas State @ Texas by 40
Missouri @ Indiana by 2
Utah @ BYU by 3

AntoneM

cheers mate, I never change them but I thought I would make sure I get them in today when I remembered to avoid the chance of forgetting to do them on Thursday (Aussie time).

Mainly because ASU won, but also because Wiscy did not show that they were in any way superoir to ASU. There was little disparity in the stats. Wisconsin got 7 points from an ASU mistake... ASU got no points from a Wisconsin mistake. Take out all the blow calls in the 4th quarter and Wiscosin never scores 30 and never gets in FG range at the end of the game anyway. No reason not to put ASU over Wisconsin.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Nick Perry ‏@NIckPerry_27 1h
Beat A&M, and Drake's album leaked... Good ass weekend!! 👌👌

Alabama DB. Good thing he appears to have short term memory, and doesn't remember OFFENSAGEDDON

Mainly because ASU won, but also because Wiscy did not show that they were in any way superoir to ASU. There was little disparity in the stats. Wisconsin got 7 points from an ASU mistake... ASU got no points from a Wisconsin mistake. Take out all the blow calls in the 4th quarter and Wiscosin never scores 30 and never gets in FG range at the end of the game anyway. No reason not to put ASU over Wisconsin.

Week 3 - ASU had 64 votes, Wisc had 378 votes
Week 4 - ASU have 229 votes, Wisc have 87 votes

The results should not matter when a judge is ranking their top 25 teams. Because not all teams play each other, you can't base your ranking on the head to head result.

How can there be that much of change in talent of the two teams in a week when they play each other and the game comes down to a ref call in the last minute? (a rhetorical question).

I could agree that Wisconsin is not much better than ASU, and as such, Wisc and ASU should be close in votes, but there is now a big gap between the two teams in ASU's favour.

You could argue that given that ASU were at home, Wisconsin away and in unfamiliar weather conditions, and robbed of a shot of victory due to umpiring error after getting into a matchwinning position, the difference in week 3 and week 4 votes for each team should not really change.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Rankings are worthless when it comes to measuring how good a team is and who they can(/did) beat. It's not uncommon for a higher ranked team to be considered the underdog going into a game, or for a team to be ranked below a team they just beat regardless of record.

Especially early in the season where rankings are based on almost nothing.

Rankings are worthless when it comes to measuring how good a team is and who they can(/did) beat. It's not uncommon for a higher ranked team to be considered the underdog going into a game, or for a team to be ranked below a team they just beat regardless of record.

Especially early in the season where rankings are based on almost nothing.

Yeah I can see that is the case.

I'm just getting my head around how they work.

The fact that the top four ranked are going to play in a playoff next year, it would be better if teams rankings were based on some measurable metrics rather than subjective opinion.

The fact that the top four ranked are going to play in a playoff next year, it would be better if teams rankings were based on some measurable metrics rather than subjective opinion.

This was the BCSs intent, have computers run formulas to get teh 2 "best" teams. I think its worked out right, maybe twice.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

IIRC this isn't right. I think the four teams are selected separately from rankings, so it could end up being something like #1, #2, #4, and #6 in the playoffs, with the #2 team getting the top seed. Probably will be the top four most years though.

IIRC this isn't right. I think the four teams are selected separately from rankings, so it could end up being something like #1, #2, #4, and #6 in the playoffs, with the #2 team getting the top seed. Probably will be the top four most years though.

Yup, playoff teams are selected by a committee.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Yup, Rutgers starting QB out. Switching my pick to the Razorbacks.
Might want to check on the health oh Arky's QB. I know he got knocked out of their game against So. Miss. Not sure if he's out this weekend or not.

jjasper

I really think you guys are really overestimating the talent we have. We have a pretty awesome O line and somewhat decent front 7 but that is about it. We have no skill position players.

KingGondo

Banned
If its done by committee, hopefully it should work out ok then.

Highly doubtful.
This.

The only way to avoid controversy is to have an 8-team playoff IMO. The 9th team that gets left out has far less room to complain than the 5th team.

Also, I can't express how stupid it is that the playoff games will be at neutral sites. Not only is it completely impractical for most fans to travel to what amounts to two bowl games, we're getting robbed of seeing LSU @ Oregon,
Clemson @ Ohio State, and lots of other really cool matchups in a campus atmosphere.

andycapps

Florida's got a shot at losing to Tennessee. If that happens, I expect this to be Muschamp's last season.

I'd be nervous if I were Florida fans, but Tennessee is really bad. Then again, Florida has a nonexistent offense so anything is possible. Tennessee just has such a horrible disadvantage at every skill position to the top teams in the conference.

jjasper recognizes the dearth of talent at skill positions as well, I see.

The 4 teams picked by committee will undoubtedly give us some controversy, but it's better than the BCS system. And the BCS system was better than what existed prior. The 4 team playoff system is just a way of getting everyone ready for an 8 team system.

jjasper

jjasper recognizes the dearth of talent at skill positions as well, I see.

Anyone with eyes can see it. Hell on 90% of Oregon's scores the players were in good position but just got outrun. And on offense we don't have a QB and I am pretty sure none of our WRs played at all last year except for Pig Howard and he is hurt. At RB we have a bunch of people that couldn't hit the hole last year with a balanced offense. It is easily the worst crop of skill players I have ever seen on a Tennessee team.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Anyone with eyes can see it. Hell on 90% of Oregon's scores the players were in good position but just got outrun. And on offense we don't have a QB and I am pretty sure none of our WRs played at all last year except for Pig Howard and he is hurt. At RB we have a bunch of people that couldn't hit the hole last year with a balanced offense. It is easily the worst crop of skill players I have ever seen on a Tennessee team.
tumblr_m0y9taQSRu1r37cx1o1_500.gif

andycapps

Fire Muschamp

Why? Who would you replace him with? It makes more sense to give him time to right the ship than to yell for his head. If you bring in a new coach, you're saying you're giving up on this year and probably the next due to a new adjustment period. Better to leave it alone and hopefully they have a good QB coming in next recruiting cycle.

Driskell is ass, that much is clear. But you can think Urban for that. If it were me, I think it's about time to give someone else a chance.

andycapps

It just makes no sense that the University of Florida doesn't have any reliable offensive players.

Makes complete sense given that Urban Meyer was recruiting before, and that you have a defensive guy running the show now, and Charlie Weis was there for one year in there.

Florida won't get a better coach than Muschamp right now and would more than likely end up with a worse coach.

Makes complete sense given that Urban Meyer was recruiting before, and that you have a defensive guy running the show now, and Charlie Weis was there for one year in there.

Florida won't get a better coach than Muschamp right now and would more than likely end up with a worse coach.

ok.jpeg

Draxal

Arkansas' QB has a bruised shoulder, maybe AC sprain. Coach B said he was expecting him to play.

I think Nova is more important to Rutgers though, D sucks this year and while James has done a great job, teams were not playing 8 in the box, your team is going to have 8 in the box pretty much every play.

GAF Pick'em Week 4 Games
(all games Saturday unless otherwise marked)

(FRI) Boise State @ Fresno State by 4
North Carolina @ Georgia Tech by 4
Wake Forest @ Army by 4
Pittsburgh @ Duke by 6
Houston vs. Rice by 4
Michigan State @ Notre Dame by 7
West Virginia @ Maryland by 4
Arkansas @ Rutgers by 4
Arizona State @ Stanford by 10
Kansas State @ Texas by 6
Missouri @ Indiana by 4
Utah @ BYU by 6

Not totally sure about these but I wasn't last week and I did alright.

I was at the FSU/Nevada game on Saturday. It was a blowout as expected, but FSU looked shaky in the 1st quarter. They only scored 3, but to be fair Kelvin Benjamin caught a touchdown on that drive's 3rd down and was centimeters away from being in-bounds at the back of the end-zone. The rules state that if the receiver's back is facing the OB line and his foot lands partially on the line, it's ruled OB, which is exactly what happened. Winston also threw a pick, which set up Nevada to score their only TD of the game. After that he was perfect (13 for 13), but really this week was all about the running game. Freaking everybody scored on the ground, even a true freshman 3rd string lineman that was playing at fullback instead. Karlos Williams has only been at RB for 8 days (switched from Safety) and hit a seem for a 65yrd TD on this first play ever as RB. It was awesome. That dude is going to be amazing. Our RBs are scary good this year.

I was majorly disappointed that Nevada's QB Fajardo was out for the game. I was really looking forward to seeing him run the pistol offense that Nevada is famous for, and I was also looking forward to our defense getting to play against a very good QB. It would have helped a lot to get that experience under their belts, as Clemson and Maryland run a bit of the Pistol as well. Instead we got their backup QB and he ended up going out at halftime. FSU's D was nearly perfect in the 2nd half since they knew that Nevada wasn't going to try anything fancy with their third-string QB, and they ran or occasionally tossed short passes for the rest of the game.

Doak was good though. Good sized crowd (probably 80% full) which is pretty good for a game we were expected to roll in. I think we all wanted to show up to see Jameis Winston in person, and just to get the season started here in Tallahassee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom