• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 4| #KARMA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draconian

Pac 12 has said Stave did in fact take a knee, that the situation was totally fucked and has reprimanded and sanctioned the officials involved.

Not good enough. Sorry, but that crew should be suspended. Not once did they even attempt to explain that last 15 seconds of the game. Instead they botched the call, called it a day, and ran off the field like a bunch of gutless cowards with their tails between their legs. No sympathy at all when you don't even attempt to make a proper ruling.

LegoDad

f81ok4A.gif

They've got quite a climb ahead of them.

They are behind Kansas State... Who lost to an FCS team. They won't make the climb.

bachikarn

I agree. I think he'll be one of the first QBs off the board in the NFL draft because he's got so much untapped potential. It's like his body is Fort Knox, but instead of gold he's hoarding nothing but pure, unvarnished potential.

That's not what I said at all? Driskel has a ton of potential but it's not looking like he is going to realize it. Hence why I said he is all upside.

To say he is a poor runner is stupid because he holds the single game rushing record at UF.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
That's not what I said at all? Driskel has a ton of potential but it's not looking like he is going to realize it. Hence why I said he is all upside.

To say he is a poor runner is stupid because he holds the single game rushing record at UF.
No... that's what I said. Hence your quoting of me.

andycapps

I think it's pretty safe to say that the recruiting gurus fucked up when rating Driskel. It happens.

I think he has 38 yards rushing on the year. That's not exactly lighting it up.

eznark

Banned
Not good enough. Sorry, but that crew should be suspended. Not once did they even attempt to explain that last 15 seconds of the game. Instead they botched the call, called it a day, and ran off the field like a bunch of gutless cowards with their tails between their legs. No sympathy at all when you don't even attempt to make a proper ruling.

Yeah, he should be fired. At least it should shut up the morons who claimed Stave did something wrong.

Fresno State by 4
North Carolina by 12
Wake Forest by 4
Pittsburgh by 12
Rice by 4
Notre Dame by 4
West Virginia by 4
Rutgers by 4
Stanford by 12
Texas by 4
Missouri by 4
Utah by 12

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Back in 2009 Ball St. finished their season 12-0 yet they weren't even ranked in the top 10. I know their SOS sucked, but a team like that definitely deserves a shot. An 8 team playoff wouldn't have gotten them in, but a 16 playoff would. Seems like most current players and coaches agree, from straw polls I've seen, a 16 team playoff is ideal.

It was 2008, and that Ball State team got stomped 42-24 by unranked 7-5 Buffalo to lose their conference championship game before going on to lose 45-13 in their bowl game to unranked Tulsa. They were ranked #12 before the Buffalo game; winning the conference could have gotten them up to #8, but I doubt it, since even 12-0 Boise State finished the regular season at #9 and they had a BCS Bowl skin on the wall from beating OU two seasons prior. I think in reality if there was an 8 team playoff in place that season then Boise would have gotten in; either a selection committee would have chosen them or, if it went with teams 1-8 and not a selection committee, the people that fill out the polls would try to boost them into the top 8.

Going by those week 16 standings, though, an 8 team playoff taking the top 8 teams would have been huge as far as ratings. OU, Florida, UT, Alabama, USC, and Penn State would all have made it in.

jjasper

OK, I am now super-hyped for GTA V.

Sounds like it lives up to the hype based on the reviews.
Eh I could have told you what the reviews would have said the minute the game was announced. I want to play it and hope it comes to ps4 but after IV I am in no rush to play it.

KingGondo

Banned
Random is random
I wasn't wading into Gaming Side to discuss this game.

I was burned by GTA IV.

Never again.

Eh I could have told you what the reviews would have said the minute the game was announced. I want to play it and hope it comes to ps4 but after IV I am in no rush to play it.
I enjoyed GTA IV to an extent, but it definitely got old.

From what I've read, the gameplay mechanics have been completely overhauled and fixed and there isn't nearly as much tedious traveling as in GTA IV and San Andreas.

I believe.

Karakand

In less than 10 years the playoff will involve 32 teams, this debate about what's ideal from 16 or less is cute.

This is a conservative figure BTW, FCS--an economic irrelevance--is already at 20 teams IIRC.

When you're suffering through 7-5 teams getting a chance at the national title, and first rounds characterized more by poor play than quality matchups (see: the first 2 rounds of March Madness), I want you to remember that this is exactly what you asked for.

I enjoyed GTA IV to an extent, but it definitely got old.

From what I've read, the gameplay mechanics have been completely overhauled and fixed and there isn't nearly as much tedious traveling as in GTA IV and San Andreas.

I believe.

At a certain point, I realized the only Rockstar open world game I finished was Red Dead, and I still considered quitting during that Mexican sequence.

I think what finally got me on GTA IV was when I opened up Manhattan, and I had to pay a toll to get back to Brooklyn/Queens and the cops would come after me if I didn't pay. And this was in the middle of a 20 minute mission with no check points.

Fuck that game.

In less than 10 years the playoff will involve 32 teams, this debate about what's ideal from 16 or less is cute.

This is a conservative figure BTW, FCS--an economic irrelevance--is already at 20 teams IIRC.

When you're suffering through 7-5 teams getting a chance at the national title, and first rounds characterized more by poor play than quality matchups (see: the first 2 rounds of March Madness), I want you to remember that this is exactly what you asked for.

I want March Madness to be cut to 16. However, that's never going to happen. Stupid money.

KingGondo

Banned
At a certain point, I realized the only Rockstar open world game I finished was Red Dead, and I still considered quitting during that Mexican sequence.

I think what finally got me on GTA IV was when I opened up Manhattan, and I had to pay a toll to get back to Brooklyn/Queens and the cops would come after me if I didn't pay. And this was in the middle of a 20 minute mission with no check points.

Fuck that game.
Agreed, they went way too far toward the side of realism. GTA: Vice City really struck the perfect balance between fun and realistic for me. Vice City truly felt like a playground, Liberty City in GTA IV felt too much like real life.

I'm still glad I preordered, and if it disappoints (even though I doubt it) I'll still be able to get $35 or $40 by trading it in within a couple months.

Karakand

I want March Madness to be cut to 16. However, that's never going to happen. Stupid money.

Yup, 64.5 teams was bad enough, especially with all the terrible "bubble" bids from power conferences that get in, and they just enlarged it. Football will be Icarian in comparison.

KingGondo

Banned
I think you guys are forgetting the first weekend is the best part of the NCAA Tournament.

The Final Four is usually underwhelming.

I may simply be bitter that Travis Ford sucks at coaching and will inevitably waste Marcus Smart's sophomore season

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Don't kill the messenger guys.

"we rounded up 92 college football players in July. We swore to keep their names under our hat; in return, they let us peek inside their brains."

link

42% of players polled want a 16 team playoff.

There's some funny business going on with some of those. For example, in the concussion question at the beginning, that 33% bar should be half the size of the 67% bar but it's more like a quarter of the size, and down at the "seen something you thought could be an NCAA violation" part the 40% block is clearly larger than the 42% block.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Don't kill the messenger guys.

"we rounded up 92 college football players in July. We swore to keep their names under our hat; in return, they let us peek inside their brains."

link

42% of players polled want a 16 team playoff.

Think I posted that in the offseason, or someone did. I laughed at the "NO CUPS WANTED" poll

Think I posted that in the offseason, or someone did. I laughed at the "NO CUPS WANTED" poll

I know it has been posted before, but I needed to post that as a source for a previous post. mre and CJ are adamantly against a 16 playoff, but it is something that players seemingly want. And if not a 16 team playoff, then at least an 8 team playoff. I do like Sto0ges 12 team proposal though...

I know it has been posted before, but I needed to post that as a source for a previous post. mre and CJ are adamantly against a 16 playoff, but it is something that players seemingly want. And if not a 16 team playoff, then at least an 8 team playoff. I do like Sto0ges 12 team proposal though...

No team outside the top 8 deserves a shot at a title. Once you get there you're looming at 3-4 loss teams. I like the pressure of every game in college football, it's what makes it special and unlike any other sport.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
On this subject I say fuck what the players want.

On this subject I say fuck what the players want.

We would all be playing in neon green jerseys and chrome helmets if we always gave the players what they wanted.

Should they get residuals for jersey sales and video game appearances? Yes. Should they have the freedom to go cupless? Well...I guess. Should they design uniforms or the playoff system? No.

JHall

No team outside the top 8 deserves a shot at a title. Once you get there you're looming at 3-4 loss teams. I like the pressure of every game in college football, it's what makes it special and unlike any other sport.

I say we should have a the top 10 teams in a playoff with the top 2 getting a bye the first week.

Like this.
10-Team-Single-Elimination.gif

Lonestar

However many it'll be, I want it to always be "the most deserving." Even if it means half are from the same conference.

The main headache will always be "where are these teams playing, and how boned are the fans going to be in regards to traveling cost"

Enfinit

Wow this is an awful assessment. Driskel is ALL upside. It's the reason he was the #1 QB recruit in 2011 and won the Elite 11 despite all of his flaws.

I agree. I think he'll be one of the first QBs off the board in the NFL draft because he's got so much untapped potential. It's like his body is Fort Knox, but instead of gold he's hoarding nothing but pure, unvarnished potential.

Are you watching the same Gata games I am? Sure, Driskel has potential, but nothing that'll make him elite in the NFL. If he goes any higher than the 4th-5th round in the draft I'd be VERY surprised. I'd take Gabbert or Josh Freeman over Driskel.

Pm4YFxM.png

my god, who the hell made this visual'

42% is both smaller than the 40%, and it's the least visually striking color, leading the reader to assume the "3-5" is the most prevalent answer instead of the "9+"

Somebody needs to fire Kiffin for this

cdyhybrid

Pm4YFxM.png

my god, who the hell made this visual'

42% is both smaller than the 40%, and it's the least visually striking color, leading the reader to assume the "3-5" is the most prevalent answer instead of the "9+"

Somebody needs to fire Kiffin for this

:jnc

Mark Richt has los-

Mark Richt has lost control of the graphics staff.

Damn you, Talon. I've got my eye on you. Goddamn Ducks.

Lonestar

Are you watching the same Gata games I am? Sure, Driskel has potential, but nothing that'll make him elite in the NFL. If he goes any higher than the 4th-5th round in the draft I'd be VERY surprised. I'd take Gabbert or Josh Freeman over Driskel.

Late on this strange turn of events in Driskel land, but Phillip Sims was a #1 ranked QB in High School.

:(

Looking back at that 2010 HS QB Class...not great.

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=9&c=4&pid=10&yr=2010
Blake Bell
Devin Gardner
Conner Shaw
Tyler Bray

Best would be Cam coming as a Juco QB.

Manziel was a 3 star QB in 2011

Great athlete playing quarterback, who also has an above average arm and can zip the short and intermediate routes. At times Manziel tries to do too much and will try to make something out of nothing, this causes turnovers at times. Does not have a great feel for the rush but when he sees it he can get out of it with ease. Deadly running the ball, he has above average speed and moves.

+
Poise and Leadership
Running Ability / Mobility
Touch

-
Accuracy / Consistency
Decision-making

His Offer List:
Texas A&M
Baylor
Colorado State
Iowa State