• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 4| #KARMA

Status
Not open for further replies.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
You could argue both are bigger jobs than UF, Texas is, but I could see an argument for USC.
USC has recruited at a fairly high level but still has no depth because of scholarship limitations. I would think that UF would be more attractive than USC at the moment.

andycapps

Yeah but those team aren't SEC.

They both have a much greater tradition than Florida. USC has some problems, but they will not have a problem filling that position. Not sure what all the former Carroll proteges are up to, maybe they'll get one of them. Although, the latest one hasn't worked out so well, so I don't know.

jjasper

I would say right now Tejas>UF>USC. Sanctions will probably keep people away another year or two. I'd ride it out with Tosh.0 another year before going all in on a new coach.

Of course you could argue that no one wants to follow Mack Brown and that UF is cutting the cord to quick after a BCS appearance so who knows.

Limedust

I would rank them:

1) USC - Recruits itself, and the new coach would have a built-in excuse for a year or two.
2) UF - First of all, Muschamp isn't getting fired. Second, the AD seems to provide excellent support. This place also recruits itself.
3) Texas - Only reason they aren't first is that I think boosters and politics would saddle (HAR!) the next HC with a GRRM-sized book of alternate job requirements that competent coaches wouldn't agree to accept. This is why Mack is still there... he gives access of the program to all the right people. At Alabama, Saban closed practices and threw everyone out with the blessing of the right people. We desperately needed it. Texas still needs to go through that entire ordeal if they want permanent improvment and the appropriate culture /attitude change.

Quake1028

Boise State by 4
North Carolina by 4
Wake Forest by 11
Pittsburgh by 11
Houston by 4
Notre Dame by 4
Maryland by 4
Arkansas by 11
Stanford by 4
Kansas State by 4
Missouri by 7
BYU by 11

Miami by 64

Bobby Bowden to replace Muschamp/Mack when they get fired/retired.

You heard it here first.

The Akron Bowden would actually be an upgrade from Mack in terms of coaching. Even Gloomfire's hero Larry Coker would be an upgrade, but unfortunately UTSA doesn't have a CAP program for coaches.

Glad to see TPeezy has become humble and matured since he made it to the NFL.

Even if he had time to attend the OSU-Cal game, Pryor couldn’t have accepted free tickets from OSU players, coaches or alumni. That stipulation is part of a five-year ban the university placed on him in 2011 stemming from the scandal.

“Those guys kicked me out of school after all those things I did for them,” Pryor said.

The indignation in his voice spurred a Raiders official to step in and cut off a question from a Dispatch reporter

http://www.dispatch.com/content/sto...arting-job-in-nfl-pryor-doesnt-look-back.html

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Haven't seen Florida play this year, not much. I know that Driskell isn't good, and from memory, I'm not sure I like any of their RB's or WR's. How good is their OLine? Possible that their weak up front? If so, it'd screw everything else up (see Alabama vs VT)

Haven't seen Florida play this year, not much. I know that Driskell isn't good, and from memory, I'm not sure I like any of their RB's or WR's. How good is their OLine? Possible that their weak up front? If so, it'd screw everything else up (see Alabama vs VT)

For a while, we had a true freshman at the top of the depth chart at WR. We only have one really good RB, as Mack Brown seems to never find the right side to run to and Kelvin Taylor has fumbleitis.

OLine is way better than last year. But you could step over that bar, with how low it was.

Edit: I will say the WRs are running better routes and are generally more open this year (thanks Joker). But Driskel...

KingGondo

Banned
Meanwhile K-State v. Texas is primetime on ABC this week. Texas is 1-2, and K-State lost to an FCS team. I'm guessing the intrigue is the Mack Brown swan song narrative?
My theory is that ESPN is trying to embarrass Texas to the point that they'll view LHN as a PR liability and allow them to form a Big 12 network.

LegoDad

Meanwhile K-State v. Texas is primetime on ABC this week. Texas is 1-2, and K-State lost to an FCS team. I'm guessing the intrigue is the Mack Brown swan song narrative?

Game was set in stone before season started. K-state was supposed to be undefeated and so was Texas..

Anyways, I don't know why anyone is picking Kansas State. Their QB issues will be the death of them, oh and the absolutely horrible defense. It's worse than Texas's defense. I expect Ash to be back and Texas to finally beat Kansas State in something. *claps* only took a decade.

diehard

Fleer
BYU-Utah should be on ESPN not ESPN 2.. it's the most interesting late night game. Definitely more interesting than Sportcenter which they will be showing instead.

andycapps

OL and WR's are okay, not great. RB's are mediocre to poor, IMO. Driskel is the main liability, every ball he throws looks like it's been tipped at the line. He makes Tebow look like a good passer. He really has no upsides, he's not a terribly great runner. He's a bad passer. He makes bad decisions. If Muschamp has another QB that he was redshirting but thinks will be the next guy, I think he should put him in and take the lumps now. Investing further in Driskel is unwise.

UGA/LSU game is CBS 3:30 game of the week in two weeks. We'll see if Gameday will be there, nothing else that day that's interesting.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Ok, so it truly is the QB. Yeah, I'm with Andy: if theres an underclassmen that has potential, get started now, it's about too late on Driskell (senior or junior?)

I don't think you can go from not being on TV ever to complaining about kickoff times. Seems ungrateful and wrong.
We have been on TV plenty of times under CUSA over the years. Both regional and national. And for everything ESPN has done with our conference and realignment, yeah, they can go fuck right off.

I usually don't mind noon games. It was just this week I have an early conflict to the point noon means I can't even watch the game.

andycapps

Ok, so it truly is the QB. Yeah, I'm with Andy: if theres an underclassmen that has potential, get started now, it's about too late on Driskell (senior or junior?)

He is a junior. His completion percentage for the year thus far is a lot higher than I thought it would be based on what I've seen him do. I guess part of it is that he does well with drives and then makes horrible decisions or a horribly thrown ball and gives up interceptions at really bad times. One could say that that happens when you're playing a good defense, which is fair the majority of the time. Happened to JFF this weekend.

But the Florida/Miami game was not a scenario of Miami being a very good team. It's that Driskel repeatedly shot his own team in the foot with boneheaded plays/passes. It's hard to say that a team "gave" a game away, but he gave that game away. 2 red zone interceptions and a fumble. It wasn't like Miami was playing well either. It was a game full of derptitude. Miami finished with 212 total yards, and Florida with 413 yards.

I think the above is where I say the cheesy TV commentator catchphrase, "Hey guys, I think that the team with the least turnovers is going to win this game." Florida ended up with 5 and Miami with 1.

This.

The only way to avoid controversy is to have an 8-team playoff IMO. The 9th team that gets left out has far less room to complain than the 5th team.

I think moving to 8 teams is inevitable, especially once they see the TV revenue the 4 team playoff pulls in. I'm hoping it doesn't expand past that though. Even 10-12 would be pushing it.

Meanwhile, we still don't know how this committee is going to work, how transparent it will or won't be, etc. Going to be very interesting to see how they handle the huge potential for conflicts of interest and so on. It'll be a travesty if it's basically ESPN picking the top four teams based on how they'll impact their revenue projections.

eznark

Banned
Pac 12 has said Stave did in fact take a knee, that the situation was totally fucked and has reprimanded and sanctioned the officials involved.

Walnut Creek, Calif. -- Pac-12 Commissioner Larry Scott has reprimanded and taken additional sanctions against officials in Saturday night's Wisconsin at Arizona State game for failing to properly administer the end of game situation and act with appropriate urgency on the game's final play, it was announced today.

With 18 seconds remaining in the game, Wisconsin's quarterback ran the ball toward the center of the field, touched his knee to the ground and then placed the ball on the ground. There was initial uncertainty over whether the quarterback had taken a knee, given himself up or fumbled the ball. As a result several Arizona State players considered the ball live and a fumble, and attempted to recover the ball.

Neither the referee nor anyone on his crew moved with appropriate urgency to clearly communicate that the ball was to be spotted so play could resume promptly.

"This was an unusual situation to end the game," said Pac-12 Commissioner Larry Scott. “After a thorough review, we have determined that the officials fell short of the high standard in which Pac-12 games should be managed. We will continue to work with all our officials to ensure this type of situation never occurs again."

Adorable that Bielema's live in hooker has chosen a new pole name. Way to go, Karma. May the tips flow free.

Pac 12 has said Stave did in fact take a knee, that the situation was totally fucked and has reprimanded and sanctioned the officials involved.

Adorable that Bielema's live in hooker has chosen a new pole name. Way to go, Karma. May the tips flow free.

I wish I could be consistently terrible at my job and still get to keep it.

andycapps

Some of the shit that people were saying about her last week was really fucked up. There was a screenshot that someone took of what people had said to her on Twitter, and it was way across the line.

eznark

Banned
Some of the shit that people were saying about her last week was really fucked up. There was a screenshot that someone took of what people had said to her on Twitter, and it was way across the line.

If you're going to dish it out you should probable be prepared to take it. Given her occupational history though, I'm sure she is totally used to taking it.

andycapps

If you're going to dish it out you should probable be prepared to take it. Given her occupational history though, I'm sure she is totally used to taking it.

Zing! But really, I think that some of the stuff that people have said to her has been way over the line.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Mack Brown failed to light himself on fire during his press conference to atone for his sends.

I am disapointed.

mre

This.

The only way to avoid controversy is to have an 8-team playoff IMO. The 9th team that gets left out has far less room to complain than the 5th team.
That's the problem with playoffs. We could go to a sixteen team playoff because the 17th team that gets left out has far less room to complain than the 9th team. Or a thirty-two team playoff because that 33rd team that gets left out has far less room to complain than the 17th. You can argue that this sort of extremism is ridiculous, but look at the basketball playoffs. 64 teams weren't even enough.

Looking back over the years of the BCS, have there been too many instances where people honestly felt that there were five or more schools worthy of being in the talk? I think we had this discussion before where we looked at the BCS standings and I think it was pretty obvious that most years that have only been 3 or 4 teams that had any real argument that they should have been in the title game.

Edit: I have long been a proponent of the +1 system, and I'm glad that we're finally getting essentially that. I don't like the idea of a selection committee. I'm not sure what was wrong with using the BCS system but expanding it to take the top 4 teams.

andycapps

That's the problem with playoffs. We could go to a sixteen team playoff because the 17th team that gets left out has far less room to complain than the 9th team. Or a thirty-two team playoff because that 33rd team that gets left out has far less room to complain than the 17th. You can argue that this sort of extremism is ridiculous, but look at the basketball playoffs. 64 teams weren't even enough.

Looking back over the years of the BCS, have there been too many instances where people honestly felt that there were five or more schools worthy of being in the talk? I think we had this discussion before where we looked at the BCS standings and I think it was pretty obvious that most years that have only been 3 or 4 teams that had any real argument that they should have been in the title game.

Edit: I have long been a proponent of the +1 system, and I'm glad that we're finally getting essentially that. I don't like the idea of a selection committee. I'm not sure what was wrong with using the BCS system but expanding it to take the top 4 teams.

Agree with all of this actually. I wish that they'd do away with the committee and just pick an aggregate of the top 4 or whatever the BCS is doing. But just take the top 4. But I'm assuming their reasoning behind this is that we have to make sure that Notre Dame gets preferential treatment for not being in a conference.

Back in 2009 Ball St. finished their season 12-0 yet they weren't even ranked in the top 10. I know their SOS sucked, but a team like that definitely deserves a shot. An 8 team playoff wouldn't have gotten them in, but a 16 playoff would. Seems like most current players and coaches agree, from straw polls I've seen, a 16 team playoff is ideal.

StoOgE

I like 8 over 4 because it still makes the regular season games important enough, but leaves enough room to let a little guy in or a team that has gotten better as the season went on. It also allows for probably two regional teams from everywhere to get a little bit more attention and more than doubles the number of games in the playoffs which is good for revenue. Also gives those tier 2 and 3 schools a better shot. A 1 loss Texas Tech or Okie St can get punished pretty hard in the polls where a 1 loss Texas, Bama or ND is going to be in the top 4-5 at the end of the season.

IIdeally I like 12. Byes for the top 4 teams means finishing at the top is a massive advantage. Use NHL re-seeding rules to protect the top teams as well to further enforce regular season importance. That last one most people hate, so I can take or leave it.

Once you get into teams on outside of the top 12 you are normally looking at 3+ loss teams with some really iffy credentials. I don't think any Texas fans last year would have tried to argue for a 3 loss texas getting into a championship tournament.

That said, when I'm 60 I fully expect a 128 team tournament and for January to be all college football playoffs all the time.

StoOgE

Look, Western Central South Dakota State beat Swarthmore in a triple OT thriller, and deserve that play in game in October.

Are you really going to deny those kids their shot at glory to let in the 34th best team in the SEC SEC SEC.

Note: The tournament by rule will be represented by 1/4th SEC SEC SEC teams. In this future the SEC SEC SEC will be it's own country primarily consisting of former confederate states and Utah/Wyoming.

mre

Back in 2009 Ball St. finished their season 12-0 yet they weren't even ranked in the top 10. I know their SOS sucked, but a team like that definitely deserves a shot. An 8 team playoff wouldn't have gotten them in, but a 16 playoff would. Seems like most current players and coaches agree, from straw polls I've seen, a 16 team playoff is ideal.
f81ok4A.gif

Its cute to see your panties all in a bunch now that Fresno is making their way up the rankings
Fresno State may very well end up ranked, but only by virtue of the fact that they play absolutely nobody with a pulse beyond Rutgers and maaaybe Boise:
Rutgers
Cal Poly
Colorado
Boise State*
Hawai'i*
Idaho
UNLV*
San Diego State
Nevada*
Wyoming*
New Mexico
San Jose State*

As for this:
and Rutgers will be joining them soon
Well:
USA Today Poll
RK TEAM RECORD PTS
1 Alabama (61) 2-0 1549
2 Oregon (1) 3-0 1477
3 Ohio State 3-0 1398
4 Clemson 2-0 1331
5 Stanford 2-0 1314
6 Louisville 3-0 1128
7 LSU 3-0 1121
8 Florida State 2-0 1113
9 Texas A&M 2-1 1033
10 Georgia 1-1 1022
11 Oklahoma State 3-0 908
12 Oklahoma 3-0 839
13 South Carolina 2-1 811
14 Michigan 3-0 743
15 UCLA 2-0 699
16 Northwestern 3-0 582
17 Miami (FL) 2-0 559
18 Florida 1-1 398
19 Baylor 2-0 375
20 Washington 2-0 361
21 Notre Dame 2-1 331
22 Ole Miss 3-0 303
23 Arizona State 2-0 176
24 Michigan State 3-0 131
25 Fresno State 2-0 75
Dropped from rankings: Nebraska 15, Wisconsin 18, TCU 24
Others receiving votes: Nebraska 55, Wisconsin 53, Texas Tech 49, Georgia Tech 37, Arkansas 34, UCF 33, Arizona 29, Northern Illinois 26, Auburn 15, Virginia Tech 9, Brigham Young 8, USC 7, Kansas State 6, Boise State 5, Utah State 5, Rutgers 2
They've got quite a climb ahead of them.

bachikarn

OL and WR's are okay, not great. RB's are mediocre to poor, IMO. Driskel is the main liability, every ball he throws looks like it's been tipped at the line. He makes Tebow look like a good passer. He really has no upsides, he's not a terribly great runner. He's a bad passer. He makes bad decisions. If Muschamp has another QB that he was redshirting but thinks will be the next guy, I think he should put him in and take the lumps now. Investing further in Driskel is unwise.

UGA/LSU game is CBS 3:30 game of the week in two weeks. We'll see if Gameday will be there, nothing else that day that's interesting.

Wow this is an awful assessment. Driskel is ALL upside. It's the reason he was the #1 QB recruit in 2011 and won the Elite 11 despite all of his flaws.

andycapps

I don't see why a 12-0 Ball State team deserves a shot, at all. You said yourself, their SOS sucked. 4, maybe 8 playoff teams would make our system better than what it is, while not becoming the joke that are the NBA playoffs.

bachikarn said:
Wow this is an awful assessment. Driskel is ALL upside. It's the reason he was the #1 QB recruit in 2011 and won the Elite 11.

Please tell me this is a joke post.

mre

Wow this is an awful assessment. Driskel is ALL upside. It's the reason he was the #1 QB recruit in 2011 and won the Elite 11.
I agree. I think he'll be one of the first QBs off the board in the NFL draft because he's got so much untapped potential. It's like his body is Fort Knox, but instead of gold he's hoarding nothing but pure, unvarnished potential.

No. That's NCAA tourney level fuck the regular season talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom