• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 4| #KARMA

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdyhybrid

I'll give you that the top two teams in the PAC 12 are good, really good. But there aren't more than two good teams in the conference. The SEC has Bama, LSU, A&M, USCe, and UGA. That's a pretty big gap as far as overall competition in the conference.

But yes, PAC 12 is the second best conference right now. But the gap is still pretty large.

Could say the same thing about the SEC /shrug

cdyhybrid

I could say that I could jump off the Empire State Building and survive, but that doesn't make it true.

That's cool. Doesn't change the fact that it's Bama and LSU followed by a bunch of teams that got highly ranked because they put up a good fight against Bama and LSU ;)

And they've shown that they're good this year by beating who?

A 1-A team outside our conference? (two even!) Can only play who's on the schedule. And they've looked much better by any objective measure this season than last season, but hey, unless you're beating top 5 teams, cold hard stats don't matter, right?

Jeff Faraudo notes that Oregon is unsurprisingly a 36 point favorite over Cal this weekend. Entertaining tidbit is that the over/under is 83.5, which is apparently the third-highest in CFB since 2000.

pxleyes

Banned
Muschamp's motivation revealed.

kTm3KaM.png

andycapps

A 1-A team outside our conference? (two even!) Can only play who's on the schedule. And they've looked much better by any objective measure this season than last season, but hey, unless you're beating top 5 teams, cold hard stats don't matter, right?

I understand that you can only play who's on the schedule. I'm just saying, as of now, they haven't proven anything. Beat Oregon and Stanford and we'll talk.

Lets also talk about how UGA was in a dog fight against fuckin UNT lol.

Wasn't really a dogfight.. two special teams mistakes gave up 14 points. Defense only gave up 7. The outcome of the game was never in doubt. Was disappointing and maybe Richt will finally set a coach aside to solely handle special teams instead of splitting duties up among coaches.

Also, coming in from off week when I'm sure they were already practicing for LSU, and it wasn't too surprising.

cdyhybrid

Charles Robinson ‏@CharlesRobinson 1m
Change is coming, folks. RT @ChuckCarltonDMN Mark Emmert: "The only thing people agree on NCAA governance is that it doesn't work."

andycapps

It's gotta be Alabama then LSU. No way is the SEC going to say their number 2 team is worse than the number 1 (or maybe 2) team from the ACC. Your teams status in the SEC would look different if y'all beat Clemson

Should have beaten Clemson, dawg.

Fair enough, this weekend will settle that one way or the other. Clemson was a 3 point loss on the road, and going on the road against a good team isn't something we see many other teams doing.

mre- what the hell was with Bama only getting 66 total rushing yards against Colorado State? And no 3rd down conversions through the 3rd quarter?

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Fair enough, this weekend will settle that one way or the other. Clemson was a 3 point loss on the road, and going on the road against a good team isn't something we see many other teams doing.

mre- what the hell was with Bama only getting 66 total rushing yards against Colorado State? And no 3rd down conversions through the 3rd quarter?
Lack of effort is all that I've got for you. With the exception of our o-line and McCarron, we subbed in damn near everyone in the game, just to get them reps. And I'm not talking about garbage time reps.

Our backs never got into any sort of a rhythm. Yeldon had 7 carries spread across 3 quarters. Fowler had 5 carries across 4 quarters. Drake had 3 carries through 4 quarters. Nobody got consistent push, but there was no urgency or effort on display.

Charles Robinson ‏@CharlesRobinson 1m
Change is coming, folks. RT @ChuckCarltonDMN Mark Emmert: "The only thing people agree on NCAA governance is that it doesn't work."

The NCAA should allow stipends based on family needs. If the student athlete's family needs him to put food on the table, then make sure info from the families W2's W9's etc. are handed over to the NCAA to see if the athlete meets the qualifications of need based financial assistance. Handle it like the government does food stamps

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
There was alot of sloppy games this weekend.

I place the blame on players playing too much Grand Theft Auto V.

andycapps

Lack of effort is all that I've got for you. With the exception of our o-line and McCarron, we subbed in damn near everyone in the game, just to get them reps. And I'm not talking about garbage time reps.

Our backs never got into any sort of a rhythm. Yeldon had 7 carries spread across 3 quarters. Fowler had 5 carries across 4 quarters. Drake had 3 carries through 4 quarters. Nobody got consistent push, but there was no urgency or effort on display.

Makes sense. Those reps are very important, and we saw some of that as well. True freshman Leonard Floyd put on a clinic at OLB Saturday with 2 sacks. Those seemed to be purely on his speed, I don't know that he'd be able to do that against SEC tackles. But it's still good experience for him and when he fills out he could be the real thing. I was actually very impressed with our defense. Gave up only 7 points, and only 22 rushing yards. LSU will be a real test to see how we can hold up against that OL.

Are a lot of teams having attendance issues for games that aren't huge? There were a good 200-300 empty seats at the top of our student section. I know Tennessee only brought 5,000 instead of 10,000 fans, but still.

Part of the problem is our shitty president and his crackdown on tailgating.

Are a lot of teams having attendance issues for games that aren't huge? There were a good 200-300 empty seats at the top of our student section. I know Tennessee only brought 5,000 instead of 10,000 fans, but still.

We had 103k for this weeks shit game.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member

We set a new attendance record against Texas State.

Schlep

Lets also talk about how UGA was in a dog fight against fuckin UNT lol.

This year's UNT team is nothing like the past 8 years and most sites project we'll make it to a bowl game (consensus so far is Heart of Dallas bowl). That said, It shouldn't have taken until near the end of the 3rd quarter for Georgia to start pulling away. They paid us $975k to be a cupcake/unofficial bye week, not to keep their starters on the field the majority of the game.

Karakand

I understand that you can only play who's on the schedule. I'm just saying, as of now, they haven't proven anything. Beat Oregon and Stanford and we'll talk.

...which is specious when you're touting A&M who has beat no one and lost to the only relevant team on their schedule, SCAR who has beat no one and lost to the only relevant team on their schedule, and UGA who lost to ACC choke masters Krumpson.

...which is specious when you're touting A&M who has beat no one and lost to the only relevant team on their schedule, SCAR who has beat no one and lost to the only relevant team on their schedule, and UGA who lost to ACC choke masters Krumpson.

That's the 2008 Michigan argument, roughly.

No new thread yet? Oh well. I just checked the pick 'em and I did damn good this week. I got 11 out of 12 games right (only missed Wake over Army), and got the margin of victory right on 5 of them. 16 points!

andycapps

This year's UNT team is nothing like the past 8 years and most sites project we'll make it to a bowl game (consensus so far is Heart of Dallas bowl). That said, It shouldn't have taken until near the end of the 3rd quarter for Georgia to start pulling away. They paid us $975k to be a cupcake/unofficial bye week, not to keep their starters on the field the majority of the game.

Preaching to the choir, man. Shouldn't have taken that long to pull away. Unfortunately we had busted coverage on the kickoff return and our long snapper botched another snap which UNT recovered in our end zone. Thankfully those mistakes happened against UNT and not someone else. Long snapper has been replaced, who also cost us the Clemson game.

A&M and USCe are getting some benefit of the doubt from me despite not beating anyone good thus far, because of their performance from last year. Bama is getting high rankings despite shitting the bed this last week, because of their performance from last year. UGA lost to Clemson, true, but we beat USCe.

How big is your student section vs. how many students (because I'm too lazy to research)? I believe our student section is around 22,000 out of 43,000 students. Our non-student sections were packed, as was the unsold visitor sections. But our students are being lame.

Without knowing the exact number I would say student tickets are 25-30k with 55k or thereabouts go there.

mre

Long snapper has been replaced, who also cost us the Clemson game.
And some people questioned Saban giving a long-snapper a scholarship offer last recruiting cycle.
A&M and USCe are getting some benefit of the doubt from me despite not beating anyone good thus far, because of their performance from last year. Bama is getting high rankings despite shitting the bed this last week, because of their performance from last year. UGA lost to Clemson, true, but we beat USCe.
And because we beat A&M.

andycapps

This was exactly my point.

It's a valid point. I guess I'm erring more on the possibility of A&M and USCe being better teams than Washington and UCLA based on past performance. It's fair to say that neither of them have proven anything this year.

And some people questioned Saban giving a long-snapper a scholarship offer last recruiting cycle.

Ol' Nicky Satan. But seriously, this is the year of the long snapper.

cdyhybrid

It's a valid point. I guess I'm erring more on the possibility of A&M and USCe being better teams than Washington and UCLA based on past performance. It's fair to say that neither of them have proven anything this year.

Neither have SCAR and aTm. By that logic USC was still the best team in the country until they lost to Stanford last season.

Our long snapper received a scholly this year, but only because he won the Disney Spirit Award last year, he came up with the "Man on you left, man on your right" motto for our team this year, he was a green beret, he's a team captain, and basically the leader of our football team.

With that said, I can see why Mack gave him a scholly rather than burning one on another worthless tight end.

mre

Our long snapper received a scholly this year, but only because he won the Disney Spirit Award last year, he came up with the "Man on you left, man on your right" motto for our team this year, he was a green beret, he's a team captain, and basically the leader of our football team.

With that said, I can see why Mack gave him a scholly rather than burning one on another worthless tight end.
I mean, Saban actually recruited this long-snapper, not gave a walk-on a scholarship. Stole him from UCLA, if I recall correctly. Cole Mazza.

andycapps

We are. SCAR and aTm are no better than Washington and UCLA as far as we can tell so far. Glad we agree.

The discussion we're having here is the issue with preseason and early season rankings. Some voters base them on potential for the team based on what they did last year. Some voters move teams up and down from week to week based on what they've done. But yes, neither SCAR, A&M, Wazzu, or UCLA have done anything to merit their rankings.

Was this posted yet?

Vols had to take a timeout in 1stH when Peterman tried to flip the protection directly into a blitz. Whole OL turned around and said, "No."—
Wes Rucker (@wesrucker247) September 22, 2013

mre

The discussion we're having here is the issue with preseason and early season rankings. Some voters base them on potential for the team based on what they did last year. Some voters move teams up and down from week to week based on what they've done. But yes, neither SCAR, A&M, Wazzu, or UCLA have done anything to merit their rankings.
Nobody has done anything this year to earn their rankings. Any "good" wins attributed to a team, such as Bama's win over A&M, comes from the perception of teams from last year. We won't know who's good and who's awful until late October or early November.
Was this posted yet?
:jnc

Was this posted yet?

Some players are taking this APU movement a little to far. At USC the players have "No coaches allowed" meetings. Players are overruling coaches play calls. Mark Right has lost control etc.

mre

Some players are taking this APU movement a little to far. At USC the players have "No coaches allowed" meetings. Players are overruling coaches play calls. Mark Right has lost control etc.
What does this have to do with what Andy posted? o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom