• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 4| #KARMA

Status
Not open for further replies.

FyreWulff

We know at least 56 AP voters didn't watch the Bama game or even read any write-ups.

Even though it's shitty, has a team ever lost #1 from a near-loss?

I swear you can be like #5 and go down from a near loss, but #1 has to actually lose before they're knocked down.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Didn't watch it but my dad said Bama looked like ass. Didn't they win by 30 pts though?

Pretty much.

Too many safeties, not enough corners, Cyrus doesn't seem to want to play, and the interior part of the line is either too small (Kelly) or confused (Arie)

MrJames

I guess most of the country wasn't familiar with Driskel.

0GtSHJi.png

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Pretty much.

Too many safeties, not enough corners, Cyrus doesn't seem to want to play, and the interior part of the line is either too small (Kelly) or confused (Arie)

To be fair, we were missing our starting right guard (Steen), our starting wide receiver (Cooper), another starting WR / first off the bench WR (Norwood), our starting RB (Yeldon - suspended), one starting CB (Belue), another starting CB (Jarrick Williams), and a slew of injuries to back-ups (Perry, Tomlinson, Ball, etc.).

I know Saban treated the defensive series like an extended tryout for our cornerbacks, and rotated them in and out by the quarter. The defense didn't give up a lot of points, only a ton of yards in the middle of the field, so it looks like we're going to have one of those dreaded "bend-and-pray-they-don't-break" defenses. This means we will have to rely on our offense to compensate for the points the defense will give up this year, so when our offense plays like utter shit it's troubling.

Let's home we get everyone back by next weekend so that we can outscore Ole Miss to keep this dream alive until November 5th.

KingGondo

Banned
Sorry, Gondo, but Weeden is officially toast.
Yeah, oh well. It's for the best that he moves on, they don't want him and other teams can use him.

It's a bit annoying that he never got a chance to play with Gordon back, and Hoyer still threw three picks... But it's pretty obvious Chud hates him.

I might fangasm if they trade him to Jax and he gets to pass to Blackmon again. :)

cdyhybrid

Yeah, oh well. It's for the best that he moves on, they don't want him and other teams can use him.

It's a bit annoying that he never got a chance to play with Gordon back, and Hoyer still threw three picks... But it's pretty obvious Chud hates him.

I might fangasm if they trade him to Jax and he gets to pass to Blackmon again. :)

Will you pull a reverse-Gata and :squicken to the Jags?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
To be fair, we were missing our starting right guard (Steen), our starting wide receiver (Cooper), another starting WR / first off the bench WR (Norwood), our starting RB (Yeldon - suspended), one starting CB (Belue), another starting CB (Jarrick Williams), and a slew of injuries to back-ups (Perry, Tomlinson, Ball, etc.).

I know Saban treated the defensive series like an extended tryout for our cornerbacks, and rotated them in and out by the quarter. The defense didn't give up a lot of points, only a ton of yards in the middle of the field, so it looks like we're going to have one of those dreaded "bend-and-pray-they-don't-break" defenses. This means we will have to rely on our offense to compensate for the points the defense will give up this year, so when our offense plays like utter shit it's troubling.

Let's home we get everyone back by next weekend so that we can outscore Ole Miss to keep this dream alive until November 5th.

Yeah, I had pointed out that Millen/espn didn't bring up that steen was out.

Also, believe J Williams is a safety as well.

It's up to getting belue back, but I doubt it with turf toe. With Fulton being planned at the beginning of the year to be the other cb out the window (can't be trusted out there) it's up to g smith, c jones or one of the freshmen to learn fast.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Interesting point I heard brought up on a Tech board - if OU beats Notre Dame, and Tech manages to get their offensive shit together, by the end of week 8 the Big XII could have 4 teams in the top 15 in OU, OSU, BU, and TTU. All 4 should be favored in every game until then. None of the 4 currently undefeated teams play each other until week 9 when Tech plays OU.

mre

Yeah, I had pointed out that Millen/espn didn't bring up that steen was out.

Also, believe J Williams is a safety as well.

It's up to getting belue back, but I doubt it with turf toe. With Fulton being planned at the beginning of the year to be the other cb out the window (can't be trusted out there) it's up to g smith, c jones or one of the freshmen to learn fast.
I mentioned Williams. He's been playing Star ahead of Geno Smith.

mre

What's he saying? Why was he so offended?

WSU shut out Idaho in a blow out. Leach pulled his starters. However, in the end of the game, Idaho was in danger of scoring, so Leach reinserted his defensive starters to preserve the shutout. Idaho's coach, Paul Petrino, did not appreciate that, and made some comment to Leach. To which Leach responded with a "Fuck you."

One of the ESPN Big XII bloggers who gives out weekly helmet stickers to BigXII teams gave out this one, and it made me laugh

K Matthew Wyman, Kansas

Let’s give some props to the guy who ended Kansas’ 22-game losing streak against FBS opponents. It wasn’t just that Wyman made the game-winning field goal with time expiring to beat Louisiana Tech 13-10 -- don’t forget the degree of difficulty. Wyman connected from 52 yards, causing the Jayhawks to storm the field. Big kick, big win.

Congrats to Charlie Weis for getting this big win.

Just a heads up. New thread will be up sometime tomorrow. Don't freak out.

Also, god damn our offense is terrible.

What I've knee-jerked today:

1) Baylor is the best team in the Big XII (a bad Big XII)
2) Mike Riley probably won't keep his job
3) The B1G is awful.
4) USC might win the Pac 12 South with their defense (seriously).
5) UW is good. Streak of 17 point victories might be in jeopardy. Not the victory streak, but the 17-point MOV.

1-3 ... yep.

4... no. I love the vote of confidence but our offense is so atrocious that it doesn't matter how good our defense is. All it will take is like 2 big plays from anybody we play and it will put the game out of reach for our offense. Sad.

5... Reserving judgment til after Stanford game. Not saying they have to win, but I want to see if they can put up a fight first.

3 1 loss teams in the top 15? And they're all in the SEC? You don't say.

It makes sense, they all lost to top teams. Same reason Arizona State is still in the top 25 despite losing to Stanford.

:jnc

Garryk

WSU shut out Idaho in a blow out. Leach pulled his starters. However, in the end of the game, Idaho was in danger of scoring, so Leach reinserted his defensive starters to preserve the shutout. Idaho's coach, Paul Petrino, did not appreciate that, and made some comment to Leach. To which Leach responded with a "Fuck you."

More people need to greet Paul Petrino in this manner.

Baylor might be a great team, we just don't know yet, but like Kevtones and others have mentioned, the BigXII is pretty bad this year. The past couple of years, the Big 12 has had 8 pretty good teams, 1 mediocre team (Iowa St), and one bad team (Kansas). This year, it looks like the big 12 has 3 good teams, 4 mediocre teams, and 3 bad teams (Kansas, Iowa St, and WVU)

cashman

Banned
Pac 12 is now the second best conference, and the gap between them and the SEC is narrower than the gap ever was between them and the Big XII

andycapps

Pac 12 is now the second best conference, and the gap between them and the SEC is narrower than the gap ever was between them and the Big XII

I'll give you that the top two teams in the PAC 12 are good, really good. But there aren't more than two good teams in the conference. The SEC has Bama, LSU, A&M, USCe, and UGA. That's a pretty big gap as far as overall competition in the conference.

But yes, PAC 12 is the second best conference right now. But the gap is still pretty large.

KingGondo

Banned
We won't know about Baylor until probably their 10th game.

I could easily see their trip to Stillwater as a top-5 matchup, as both teams will be favored in every game up until that point.

But yeah, the Big 12 appears to be pretty terrible overall this year. Not gonna deny that.

cashman

Banned
I'll give you that the top two teams in the PAC 12 are good, really good. But there aren't more than two good teams in the conference. The SEC has Bama, LSU, A&M, USCe, and UGA. That's a pretty big gap as far as overall competition in the conference.

But yes, PAC 12 is the second best conference right now. But the gap is still pretty large.
I think UW and UCLA are pretty close to A&M, USC and UGA. USCe and A&M, definitely don't look as good as they were last year.

andycapps

I think UW and UCLA are pretty close to A&M, USC and UGA. USCe and A&M, definitely don't look as good as they were last year.

No.. Not at all. Let's see what happens to UCLA when they play Stanford and Oregon in the coming weeks. They have played nobody thus far. And Washington? Same story. Nopenopenope.gif

mre

No.. Not at all. Let's see what happens to UCLA when they play Stanford and Oregon in the coming weeks. They have played nobody thus far. And Washington? Same story. Nopenopenope.gif
Who has A&M played? Nobody whose defense has a pulse, that's for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom