• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 5| Games resume this week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

lol and here I thought I wouldnt have to read insane posts anymore about killing the program. bet it chaps your ass branduil that penn st is 11-5 since the sanctions

Yes, that's what I'm upset about, Penn State winning. Not the fact that they enabled a child molester and will likely enable any future scumbags in their program because that's what their cult-like culture demands.

Schmitty

Yes, that's what I'm upset about, Penn State winning. Not the fact that they enabled a child molester and will likely enable any future scumbags in their program because that's what their cult-like culture demands.

You haven't been around college football enough if you think the "cult-like culture" is unique to PSU

Branduil

You haven't been around college football enough if you think the "cult-like culture" is unique to PSU

No one claimed it is unique, although it probably reached a more ridiculous extreme at PSU due to the cult of Paterno. But certainly there are plenty of schools which also cover for scumbags for the sake of the program, which is why it's important to actually punish schools when they, you know, think child rape is less important than football.

jakncoke

Banned

Being banned? Not even, if I ever did. I'd sit in banland and smile at every victory knowing it made the people(the ones that think penn st should of been killed off the map) butthurt to the max. But hey Branduil how the Longhorns doing or whatever shit program from the South you back.

KingGondo

Banned
Being banned? Not even, if I ever did. I'd sit in banland and smile at every victory knowing it made the people(the ones that think penn st should of been killed off the map) butthurt to the max. But hey Branduil how the Longhorns doing or whatever shit program from the South you back.
I guess UCLA is in the "South." Pac-12 South, at least.

Branduil

His parents were both Bruins and his alma mater doesn't participate in Division I sports, IIRC.

It's Division I, just no football team since like 1985. Obviously the school fell into the ocean and exploded when that happened, because schools can't survive without football.

There's even still a football stadium there, I guess they use it for track and field.

Karakand

The same thing happened to Cal State Fullerton, it was very sad. :(((

I will remember the specifics of your origin story in better detail for future reference!

Branduil

There was actually kind of a student movement to revive it while I was there and a student vote was passed 2-to-1 to increase student athletic fees by $2 per credit hour if they reinstated football, but nothing ever came of it.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I may go to Tuscaloosa Bama GAF. If my associate finds lower bowl tix for less than $150 each. Is that possible?

jakncoke

Banned
The same thing happened to Cal State Fullerton, it was very sad. :(((

I will remember the specifics of your origin story in better detail for future reference!

Wiki is saying it was disbanded because of money concerns and although a move down to a lower level was planned it never occurred and something about trying to get the football program running again since 1995

Karakand

I was being facetious, despite losing its football team CSUF is a healthy (albeit unheralded) university in continual operation.

Their other sports even have some success too (namely baseball).

jakncoke

Banned
Can't speak for him, but it definitely chaps my ass. I'd prefer they lost every game and all their fans got stuck reading 50 posts by Pristine on the wonderfulness of Texas Tech.

I know it does, which is why when we started out 0-2 last year and 0-12 was looking pretty certain but finished 8-4 it made it so good.

Also I wouldnt even be mad if Penn St did get a death penalty of like 1-2 years. But 10 years and all the other crazy ideas and posts that came up back when it happened was ridiculous. Although I think 95% of those posts were made by people that never watched football in their life and out there with the "Look at me, my righteous hammer strikes down apon thee"

GAF Pick'em Week 5 Games

(THU) Virginia Tech @ Georgia Tech by 5
South Carolina @ UCF by 9 so excited to be missing this one of all fucking games!..... going to be fucking crazy. i'll be trying to not shoot myself in gainesville.
SMU @ TCU by 4 lol not really
Virginia @ Pittsburgh by 5
LSU @ Georgia by 4
Florida State @ Boston College by 10
Oklahoma @ Notre Dame by 5
Iowa @ Minnesota by 4
Ole Miss @ Alabama by 12
Arizona @ Washington by 5
Wisconsin @ Ohio State by 8
USC @ Arizona State by 3

The SWC might have limped along for a few more years, but there were too many small private schools in the SWC to survive long.

At the end we had:

Texas, Aggy, Tech, Baylor, Rice, U of H, SMU and TCU.

That's just not a conference that can survive on paper where TV is king.

Aggy was dominate around that time, but was constantly under sanctions. UT was mediocre at best, Tech was above average.. from 1985-1994 there was always someone in the conference who was post season inelligable.

Plus that 1994 season when Texas, Tech, Baylor, Rice and TCU all shared the SWC title with a 4-3 record because A&M was under NCAA sanctions.

Agreed. The SWC needed to die.

Can't speak for him, but it definitely chaps my ass. I'd prefer they lost every game and all their fans got stuck reading 50 posts by Pristine on the wonderfulness of Texas Tech.

I really need to post more around here, I think.

A LOT more...

Nobody deserves that.

Hey, did you guys hear how Texas Tech got named the #1 University to work for by a Glassdoor survey?:

Top-25-Universities-To-Work-For1.jpg

Texas Tech really is a wonderful school. Not surprising our football program is on the rise again.

ixHz5qcHCSaIn.gif

Karakand

Well, the death of the SWC was a prelude to all this conference realignment. College football still might have been much more regionalized.

I get what you're saying, Drax, but consider the following:

It's important to temper the punishment dealt to Penn St. for institutional complicity in ongoing sex crimes against minors because _____________________________.

"it could erode the regional character of college athletics." doesn't make for a very compelling sentence, at least if you have your priorities in order.

cdyhybrid

6 of top 20 most-penalized teams this season are in the Pac-12. Grass green, water wet, etc.

Guess Larry was just joking (obviously) when he said he wanted to clean up the officiating.

Draxal

I get what you're saying, Drax, but consider the following:

It's important to temper the punishment dealt to Penn St. for institutional complicity in ongoing sex crimes against minors because _____________________________.

"it could erode the regional character of college athletics." doesn't make for a very compelling sentence, at least if you have your priorities in order.

Yeah, it's just it's just a completely different age for penalizing colleges, compare PSU's punishment to say what happened with the 91 Maryland Terps basketball team, and it just boggles the mind (with the noted exceptions of OSU (12 and 10) and USC)).. I think it's just a joke that the scholarship got rescinded, but I guess there was an intense amount of political pressure on the NCAA.

It's also I'd much rather see PSU players be allowed to play in bowls than have the scholarships rescinded, if you want to talk about punishing the current players let them have a chance in bowls, scholarship bans hurt the schools more.

And yes, i'm against the scholarship reduction for the same reasons Sirpopopopopopopop is as well.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
"It literally rains mud here. I've never seen anything like it."

When my brother visited Lubbock before he enrolled, in a single day -

1. it was warm enough that they were walking around in shorts.
2. a dust storm came in with a cold front.
3. it started raining during the dust storm, leading to the "raining mud" phenomenon.
4. it started snowing.

I faced the "shorts weather -> snow" transition a few times in my time there, but never with the dust storm and rain in between.

:jnc, I love you

Well, that makes two of us...

I faced the "shorts weather -> snow" transition a few times in my time there, but never with the dust storm and rain in between.

My first day attending class at Texas Tech (I was a transfer student entering in the spring) it did the dust storm/rain mud thing on me. FIRST DAY!

My sister, who had attended Tech way before me, told me that unlike what I was used to in Austin, people tended to dress a little nicer for the first day of class. She was a fashion buyer, and was excited that I was going to Tech, so she bought me a gift to wear when she was in London on business--a beautiful, white cotton Comme des Garçons jacket that you couldn't even buy in the USA.

By the time I got to class, it looked like I was wearing half the farmland of Nebraska on that fucking jacket. LOL.

bachikarn

Go...Gators?

How does everyone feel about Tyler Murphy? I mean, realistically.

For all the talent Driskel supposedly has, he still did way too much dumb shit and made too many negative plays. So if Murphy can cut down on those negative plays, we can still have a good season even if he isn't some diamond in the rough.

GAF Pick'em Week 5 Games

(THU) Virginia Tech @ Georgia Tech by 4
South Carolina @ UCF by 7
SMU @ TCU by 4
Virginia @ Pittsburgh by 4
LSU @ Georgia by 4
Florida State @ Boston College by 7
Oklahoma @ Notre Dame by 4
Iowa @ Minnesota by 4
Ole Miss @ Alabama by 7
Arizona @ Washington by 13
Wisconsin @ Ohio State by 7