• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 5| Games resume this week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I'm not convinced yet that Ole Miss is anything other than Ole Miss. I guess there's a possibility that they could spoil things for Bama or another top team but I don't see them being good enough to be a legit contender. Should Bama be on upset alert? I think you should be in any game, but particularly after an underwhelming previous week against a team that had a lot of confidence and young talent.

Alot's based on the return of offensive line confusion and injuries in the secondary. I know we gave up a shitload of yards to JFF, but it's JFF...no secondary can keep up with WR's for 6-10 seconds, double the amount of time they have to hold up for most quarterback situations, because of JFF's 100 rated escapability. Few secondary's can cover a fast 6'6" WR, either, and Ole Miss has one or 2 of those...

There's also memory of last years game, which, although won by like 20 points, felt closer. In fact, I'd say it felt like last weeks game against CSU. Could not put them away, until some late game mishaps from Bo Wallace.

So, combine the 2, is causing worry.

But I think they get the RG (Steen) back, and J. Williams (3rd or 4th CB). Nick Perry, who's like the 4th Safety/CB, is out for the season though.

cashman

Banned
(THU) Virginia Tech @ Georgia Tech by 6
South Carolina @ UCF by 10
SMU @ TCU by 7
Virginia @ Pittsburgh by 4
LSU @ Georgia by 7
Florida State @ Boston College by 21
Oklahoma @ Notre Dame by 13
Iowa @ Minnesota by 4
Ole Miss @ Alabama by 10
Arizona @ Washington by 7
Wisconsin @ Ohio State by 14
USC @ Arizona State by 10

(THU) Virginia Tech @ Georgia Tech by 7
South Carolina @ UCF by 7
SMU @ TCU by 21
Virginia @ Pittsburgh by 6
LSU @ Georgia by 4
Florida State @ Boston College by 24
Oklahoma @ Notre Dame by 17
Iowa @ Minnesota by 3
Ole Miss @ Alabama by 14
Arizona @ Washington by 10
Wisconsin @ Ohio State by 7
USC @ Arizona State by 7

(THU) Virginia Tech @ Georgia Tech by 4
South Carolina @ UCF by 7
SMU @ TCU by 10
LSU @ Georgia by 10
Florida State @ Boston College by 7
Oklahoma @ Notre Dame by 4
Iowa @ Minnesota by 4
Ole Miss @ Alabama by 13
Arizona @ Washington by 13

(THU) Virginia Tech @ Georgia Tech by 7
South Carolina @ UCF by 17
SMU @ TCU by 14
LSU @ Georgia by 4
Florida State @ Boston College by 14
Oklahoma @ Notre Dame by 14
Iowa @ Minnesota by 7
Ole Miss @ Alabama by 21
Wisconsin @ Ohio State by 10
USC @ Arizona State by 7

Jay Sosa

GAF Pick'em Week 5 Games

(THU) Virginia Tech @ Georgia Tech by 3
South Carolina @ UCF by 1
SMU @ TCU by 10
LSU @ Georgia by 8
Florida State @ Boston College by 12
Oklahoma @ Notre Dame by 12
Iowa @ Minnesota by 5
Ole Miss @ Alabama by 2
Arizona @ Washington by 1
Wisconsin @ Ohio State by 5
USC @ Arizona State by 10[/QUOTE]

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
GAF Pick'em Week 5 Games

(THU) Virginia Tech @ Georgia Tech by 3
South Carolina @ UCF by 1

SMU @ TCU by 10
LSU @ Georgia by 8
Florida State @ Boston College by 12
Oklahoma @ Notre Dame by 12
Iowa @ Minnesota by 5
Ole Miss @ Alabama by 2
Arizona @ Washington by 1

Wisconsin @ Ohio State by 5
Your margins of victory...

tumblr_inline_msnw0cT2N01qz4rgp.gif

I picked Ole Miss to cover the spread in the other pick 'em I do. Bama is good but not as good as they were last year.

Your margins of victory...

tumblr_inline_msnw0cT2N01qz4rgp.gif

I was going to post something about this but decided against it. If people don't want to read and understand the rules of how the pick 'em works, that just makes it better for those of us that do understand.

If you're guessing margins of victory under 4, you're screwing yourself over.

mre

I was going to post something about this but decided against it. If people don't want to read and understand the rules of how the pick 'em works, that just makes it better for those of us that do understand.
I know, but when I see it, I can't help myself. I do this once a year I think.

I hope I get a chance to watch the Techmo Bowl tonight (best nickname for any game out there). It might actually be good! Go Tech! Beat Tech!

andycapps

Alot's based on the return of offensive line confusion and injuries in the secondary. I know we gave up a shitload of yards to JFF, but it's JFF...no secondary can keep up with WR's for 6-10 seconds, double the amount of time they have to hold up for most quarterback situations, because of JFF's 100 rated escapability. Few secondary's can cover a fast 6'6" WR, either, and Ole Miss has one or 2 of those...

There's also memory of last years game, which, although won by like 20 points, felt closer. In fact, I'd say it felt like last weeks game against CSU. Could not put them away, until some late game mishaps from Bo Wallace.

So, combine the 2, is causing worry.

But I think they get the RG (Steen) back, and J. Williams (3rd or 4th CB). Nick Perry, who's like the 4th Safety/CB, is out for the season though.

Legitimately, JFF is hard to account for. The thing that gives me pause about Bama this year is their offense. They couldn't get a 3rd down conversion the first 3 quarters against CSU. Not much of anything really. Their defense was doing enough to keep CSU away and give them chances, and they weren't doing anything with it until the end of the game. I can understand playing down to the level of your shitty opponents because my team does it every fucking time, but last week's performance would scare me about Ole Miss.

UGA struggled when faced with a mobile quarterback in Boyd and Shaw. Pocket passers like Mettenberger seem be more of our bread and butter as a defense, going by last year. Priority #1 for Grantham needs to be forcing Mettenberger out of the pocket as his completion % drops precipitously when that happens.

So far Chicko is the only one taking USC. With good reason, of course.

Chicko gets a million extra points if USC wins.

Wouldn't happen if we had Yahoo.

Garryk

(THU) Virginia Tech @ Georgia Tech by 14
South Carolina @ UCF by 13
SMU @ TCU by 9
Virginia @ Pittsburgh by 10
LSU @ Georgia by 6
Florida State @ Boston College by 24
Oklahoma @ Notre Dame by 6
Iowa @ Minnesota by 4
Ole Miss @ Alabama by 18
Arizona @ Washington by 7
Wisconsin @ Ohio State by 11
USC @ Arizona State by 7

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Virginia Tech @ Georgia Tech by 8
South Carolina @ UCF by 5
SMU @ TCU by 13
LSU @ Georgia by 6
Florida State @ Boston College by 16
Iowa @ Minnesota by 8
Ole Miss @ Alabama by 4
Wisconsin @ Ohio State by 8
USC @ Arizona State by 6

Saw some article mentioning Greg Schiano for the Texas job. I won't dignify said article by posting it here.

All I need to say is the "Greg Schiano was great because he won at Rutgers" meme needs to die. It gives a shitty coach credit for doing something that wasn't very hard to do.

Other than the Terry Shea years that preceded Schiano, it's not as if Rutgers performed all that poorly.

andycapps

David Pollack is probably my favorite ESPN CFB analyst. I get the sense that there's very little bullshit with him.

Yeah he is really good. Sometimes the homer in me hates when he doesn't fellate UGA constantly, but he really tries to call it like he sees it. He admitted recently he's always rooting for UGA but he tries to keep his personal bias out of his reporting. His kids are always wearing UGA gear and stuff in what he posts on Twitter.

Lonestar

No way to post tables in posts here.

You make do, you don't go running off to the Devil for the easy way out.

And man, I hope LSU loses a few games before LSU@Alabama...

UGA has a 19% chance of winning if Gameday is at a venue starring UGA. 3 for 13

Lonestar

Guess I should do this now:

(THU) Virginia Tech @ Georgia Tech by 4
South Carolina @ UCF by 11
SMU @ TCU by 11
LSU @ Georgia by 4
Florida State @ Boston College by 18
Iowa @ Minnesota by 4
Ole Miss @ Alabama by 4
Arizona @ Washington by 6
Wisconsin @ Ohio State by 11
USC @ Arizona State by 6

andycapps

Somebody talk me out of changing my pick for tonight from Georgia Tech to Virginia Tech. Every time I pick Virginia Tech I regret it.

GAF Pick'em Week 5 Games

(THU) Georgia Tech by 6
South Carolina by 13
TCU by 4
Virginia by 9
LSU by 2
Florida State by 24
Oklahoma by 10
Iowa by 8
Ole Miss by 4
Washington by 10
Ohio State by 17
Arizona State by 14

KingGondo

Banned
Somebody talk me out of changing my pick for tonight from Georgia Tech to Virginia Tech. Every time I pick Virginia Tech I regret it.
With those kinds of games I usually just give the home team the benefit of the doubt, but honestly a coin flip is probably just as useful.

GT as the home team and being kinda good + VT sucking this year and coming off a short week = GT win.

GT is off a short week too, but they don't need to prepare to defend an exotic offense. They just need to defend Logan Thomas, which shouldn't be too hard.

VT does have to prepare for the option, and GT actually has a QB that can complete passes this year which makes their option attack a little more deadly. Vad Lee has as many passing TDs as he does rushing (7 each).

mre

Logan Thomas is still the quarterback for Virginia Tech.

There. You're welcome. If that doesn't do it for you, I'm not sure what would.

(THU) Virginia Tech @ Georgia Tech by 10
South Carolina @ UCF by 12
SMU @ TCU by 14
LSU @ Georgia by 8
Florida State @ Boston College by 14
Oklahoma @ Notre Dame by 4
Iowa @ Minnesota by 12
Ole Miss @ Alabama by 10
USC @ Arizona State by 4